PDA

View Full Version : Astra G SRi-T Timing Belt?

Z20LET
23rd August 2008, 05:58 PM
My '03' Astra SRi-T has done 32000km and the timing belt has yet to be changed. The Holden owners manual says it shoul be changed at either 4 years or 60000km which ever comes first, along with the tensioner. Should I be changing the belt now because it is past its 4 years or should I wait untill it gets closer to the 60000km? Also when I do change the belt should I also change the two idler pulleys or should I just change them when the second belt change is due as the holden owners manual specifies? I have read that it's a good idea to also change the water pump when changing the t-belt as they are a common problem on the astra G. Should I bother even though mine has only done 32000km and is showing now signs of any leaking?

Look forward to hearing from everyones advice. Cheers.

auzvectra
24th August 2008, 01:28 AM
yes change it all, the water pump dies pretty much spot on 55K, but you may as well change it early and be safe, as if it does go it will most likely take all the intake valves with it, and that makes an extra approx $100 maintenance, turn into a $3K repair ;).
a member on here has had his go recently, and $3K was the quote to repair it.

but as it has been said on here many times, source the parts urself thru autovaux.co.uk as it will be 1/2 the price, and ring them they rarely reply to emails.

Z20LET
24th August 2008, 11:56 AM
yes change it all, the water pump dies pretty much spot on 55K, but you may as well change it early and be safe, as if it does go it will most likely take all the intake valves with it, and that makes an extra approx $100 maintenance, turn into a $3K repair ;).
a member on here has had his go recently, and $3K was the quote to repair it.

but as it has been said on here many times, source the parts urself thru autovaux.co.uk as it will be 1/2 the price, and ring them they rarely reply to emails.

Thanks auzvectra. I'll change it all including the water pump. Cheers.

auzvectra
24th August 2008, 12:34 PM
all good, thats definately the safer bet ;).

Z20LET
17th October 2008, 06:05 PM
I'm in the process of getting a timing belt kit and water pump from autovaux. I wouldn't mind having a go and changing it all myself but at the same time I dont want to f*ck it up and give myself a very large repair bill. Has anyone done this them self and could give a bit of advice? Even better if there is a 'How to' some where that I haven't come across?

Thanks.

auzvectra
17th October 2008, 06:55 PM
basically make sure the bolts are not left loose, and make sure the belt isnt too tight or loose.
turn the motor over by hand (ratchet) after checking the marks again after a full rotation.
turn motor clockwise only ;).

imay
17th October 2008, 07:18 PM
As has been said (and this goes for all Astra timing belts, imo) spend a buck now to save a few thousand should the belt let go when you least expect it.
I know there are guys out there that will "brag" about covering over 100k km and still haven't had to change the belt (I hear it regularly from a few guys at work!). I had the belt/tensioners/pump changed on my wife's car at 4 years and only 30,000odd km. A lot cheaper than having to change the belt/tensioners/pump and a dozen+ valves and piston and head work later. Her's is a 1.8, but I really can't see that it would be any different for the 2.0T.
Just DO IT!

Z20LET
17th October 2008, 07:52 PM
As has been said (and this goes for all Astra timing belts, imo) spend a buck now to save a few thousand should the belt let go when you least expect it.
I know there are guys out there that will "brag" about covering over 100k km and still haven't had to change the belt (I hear it regularly from a few guys at work!). I had the belt/tensioners/pump changed on my wife's car at 4 years and only 30,000odd km. A lot cheaper than having to change the belt/tensioners/pump and a dozen+ valves and piston and head work later. Her's is a 1.8, but I really can't see that it would be any different for the 2.0T.
Just DO IT!

I'm definately replacing the kit as i'm putting my order in tonight through autovaux. I'd much rather read over a 'How to' if there is one before I attempt to do it myself, or if anyone has any tips or pointers?

Thanks for the tip auzvectra.

auzvectra
17th October 2008, 08:17 PM
i'm pretty sure 1 was linked from here somewhere, just have a search n see ;).

imay
18th October 2008, 04:47 PM
I'd much rather read over a 'How to' if there is one before I attempt to do it myself, or if anyone has any tips or pointers?

I'm sure there is a "how to" at www.astraownersclub.com and more tips and advice than you would ever need, should you get stuck along the way. What some of these guys don't know about Astra/Opel, isn't really worth knowing! Simply search "z20let timing belt" and check out the pages of info on there.

Wraith
20th October 2008, 01:13 PM
Interesting question this one...I'd say it all depends on the individual car and individual circumstances of the mechanical health of that car...when/if it comes time to change it though, I recommend changing the lot, ie: belt, pulleys and water pump, that is the normal practice anyway :)

My turbo vert is now over 5 years old (from the build date) but because of its limited usage in my hands - it has only 18,700km on the odometer...I have NO intention of changing the timing belt and pulleys just yet, despite being over 4 years old !

My original intention was to do it when the car clocked up at least 40,000km, even if that's 5 years away, but because in my case the water pump is already showing signs of ill health, I plan to do it much sooner...I have it organised for when the car clocks 20,000km :)

What I do and recommend to other people (if your in this boat with your car) is take the time to remove the cam belt cover and other associated engine parts and give the whole pulley assembly a thourough inspection (in my case I use my cousin as well who's a mechanic with his own workshop) and see what condition it's in - I did this with my Calibra which had only around 36,000km on it when I purchased it and it was already 7 years old from the build date and decided it was all fine and changed the timing belt and pulley assembly at 60,000km, which at that time the car and pulley assembly was 9 years old !!!

Still I will concede though that to be totally safe and sure, especially if you don't have access to a workshop or grease monkey to inspect the car for you, then following the manufacturers recommendations of travelled km's or ellapsed time is the way to go :)