PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting your car serviced at Heartland Parramatta?

Snotty
23rd August 2008, 08:02 AM
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24225746-5007132,00.html

A CAR service turned to heartbreak for Colin Chaffen when his beloved Holden Monaro was written off by two joy-riding mechanics.

Residents in May's Hill were shocked when the $45,000 V8 jumped a gutter and spun through a fence.

The mechanics, from Heartland Holden in Parramatta, then drove the damaged car several kilometres back to the workshop.

A neighbour, who asked not to be named, said the car only narrowly missed his house.

"I was sitting on the lounge when I heard this huge bang," he said.

"I thought it had gone straight into the house. I rushed to the window and saw them take off really quick. I only just had time to get their rego."

The car's owner, Colin Chaffen, a self-confessed "car fanatic", was in tears when he returned to the workshop to discover ten's of thousands of dollars worth of damage to his impeccably maintained vehicle.

"My car was my pride and joy. There wasn't a scratch on it," Mr Chaffen said.

"I had put $60,000 into that car and these guys only had it for 15 minutes and they wrote it off. It makes you wonder how many other cars they have taken out for joy-rides."

The Daily Telegraph has learned that the incident was not a one off, with a former Heartland Holden employee blowing the whistle on mistreatment of customers' cars.

"They're hoons," the mechanic, who asked to remain anonymous, said.

"Whenever a nice car came in they were all itching to take it for a drive.

"I saw them do burn-outs, speed and drive erratically on test drives, and their attitude was 'it's not my car'."

Mr Chaffen's anger was made worse because the service was only booked after Heartland Holden wrote a letter threatening to void his warranty unless his car was urgently taken to one of their service centres. He had also been assured that there was no need for the vehicle to leave the workshop.

Mr Chaffen's poor treatment continued, with management from Heartland Holden unable to explain the cause of the accident and what action, if any, had been taken against the mechanics.

"They have just told me a lot of lies. At first it had been side-swiped, then they had swerved to miss a car, and finally they said they had tried to dodge a runaway dog," he said.

But the worst was still to come, with Heartland Holden's insurer then refusing to pay the insured value of the car, offering Mr Chaffen almost $10,000 less than its agreed value.

Late yesterday, following inquiries by The Daily Telegraph, Heartland Holden agreed to pay Mr Chaffen the full value of his car.

Heartland Group CFO Neal Duggin refused to answer question from the The Daily Telegraph regarding the accident, including if other customer cars had been involved in accidents while being driven by employees.

"Any time a vehicle is on the road it is at risk of being involved in an accident." Mr Duggin said in a statement.

A police investigation continues.

imay
23rd August 2008, 09:59 AM
The Daily Telegraph has learned that the incident was not a one off, with a former Heartland Holden employee blowing the whistle on mistreatment of customers' cars.

"They're hoons," the mechanic, who asked to remain anonymous, said.

"Whenever a nice car came in they were all itching to take it for a drive.

"I saw them do burn-outs, speed and drive erratically on test drives, and their attitude was 'it's not my car'."

. . . . and don't think this is an isolated incident! I have been informed of other (local) well known service centres treating customer cars in the same manner. Another very good reason to have your car serviced at a place you can sit and have a coffee while they do the work. Not always possible I know, but I have always hated the thought of leaving any of my cars anywhere for any work to be done by others.

I really feel for the guy! And it certainly doesn't make it any better when the management blatantly LIE about what actually happened.

xplosv57
23rd August 2008, 02:02 PM
Ditto. Have heard many stories from other dealers where cars have been crashed/written off (and much more rare/expensive than the Monaro) on road tests, hence why at my dealership we have a strict policy on who test drives cars, only selected senior employees can test drive cars.

For me, i service my own car, but when i've had to get any warranty stuff done in the past, i've waited at the dealer till it's done!

DirtyHarry
23rd August 2008, 02:42 PM
all the car dealerships are scum.
when i took my astra to parramatta to get the water pump replaced under warranty. they replaced it but put the timing belt tensioner on incorrectly.
they are pathetic. and in the end, they just lie to you and feed you all this bullshit. and currently im in a dispute with the suzuki motorcycle dealer across the road. my 4 month old motorcycle has been getting a oil leak repaired for the last 8 weeks straight. i told them i want a full refund. they have refused it and told me a whole bunch of rubbish.
the case is going to department of fair trading...enough is enough

cocacola
23rd August 2008, 04:06 PM
Another excellent service from Heartland Parramatta!:mad: :mad:

imay
23rd August 2008, 04:17 PM
Another excellent service from Heartland Parramatta!:mad: :mad:

Is that Heartland . . . or HeartLESS?

Charlatan
23rd August 2008, 04:20 PM
There are so many good honest local mechanics out there, I just dont understand why people go to dealers for anything other than warranty work.

Does anyone remember the story of the SPA-200 200sx from a few years back? Same situation, apprentice mechanic test pilot. It was pretty new at the time too, they had just sold the last of the locally delivered 200s.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/wrexed/s15/IMGP0214%20(Medium).jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wrexed/s15/IMGP0211%20(Medium).jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wrexed/s15/IMGP0212%20(Medium).jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wrexed/s15/IMGP0221%20(Medium).jpg

cocacola
23rd August 2008, 06:47 PM
how did they turn this 200sx to a rubbish???

KingOfAstras
23rd August 2008, 06:59 PM
Looks like a drifting accident to me!!...

I say for any service you do at a dealer, big or small, keep a close eye on them. I know I do.

Dowie
23rd August 2008, 07:13 PM
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wrexed/s15/IMGP0214%20(Medium).jpg

OMG. I think im gonna cry...

GodsKnight
25th August 2008, 02:32 PM
I do all work on my car as well i don't trust mechanics..

I remember my dad and I replaced the thermostat and later that week we took it down to a mechanic to test his honesty since we only just moved into the area. What have you the mechanic said yep the thermostat is not working 150 bucks to change it....

My dad just looked at him and we walked away.

Huhness
25th August 2008, 03:45 PM
My car has never been to a holden service center. Ever. And i'd say its why it still runs so well! I put the right oil in and i know what spark plugs work best on the Z22SE and I take my time and be careful! Diabolical can tell you first hand how shit holden dealers are but also how shit a local mechanic can be both costing him many thousands from their mistakes... so my advice would be to learn to change your own oil its dead easy! and only ever take your car to a dealer for warranty jobs..;)

GodsKnight
25th August 2008, 03:52 PM
My car has never been to a holden service center. Ever. And i'd say its why it still runs so well! I put the right oil in and i know what spark plugs work best on the Z22SE and I take my time and be careful! Diabolical can tell you first hand how shit holden dealers are but also how shit a local mechanic can be both costing him many thousands from their mistakes... so my advice would be to learn to change your own oil its dead easy! and only ever take your car to a dealer for warranty jobs..;)

This poor guy did take his car to a dealer for a warranty job :eek:

rjastra
25th August 2008, 04:21 PM
The first new I ever bought (1987 Barina) was smashed up by a mechanic during an early service. Backed out of a driveway and was collected by a passing car.

They never supplied a replacement car while mine was off the road (6 weeks). They didn't replace it either. It was never the same afterwards.

Shaun
25th August 2008, 04:41 PM

So your saying you also carried out the PD on your own car? Gee you are really clever with the above comment that your car has never been touched by a Holden Service Department. Where do you think your dealership carry out the PD on the car prior to you taking delivery....?? DEALERSHIP WORKSHOP. Pre Delievery Inspection includes them opening the bonnet checking belts checking coolant levels checking oil levels etc . So in affect your car has been touched by a Holden Dealer in terms to Maintance. Just so everyone here is clear who carrys out your warranty work ? Your self again or a Holden Dealership???

Now just in relation to this thread. Why is it everyone here has an opinon to what happened. Do you all know the events that have happen both pre during and post event . And its no different to dropping your car off at " the local mechanical workshop" and them taking it out for a test drive and being hit or them having an accident.

I would say you would have a better chance of a repair or replacement being honored by a Holden Dealership or for that matter any Manfacturer franchised dealership then the " local Workshop" considering there insurance is extended to cover in the event of something like this happening.

Heartland have covered the cost to the customer. its clearly stated they have since after the customer has spoken to the paper. Also Dealership reserves the right to not inform the customer of the action taken against the person / persons responsable as this is a private and confidental information that any dealership is under no obligation to give out to any customer.

Wraith
25th August 2008, 05:00 PM
Yeh, saw this earlier today, bloody shameful......f#*#*#g bastards deserve to die :mad:

This is a very common happening you know, dealership and some mech shop workers always use the 'test and check service drive' as an excuse to thrash other peoples hi performance cars...disrespectful cockheads !!!

And yes, I do all my work on my cars myself !

All the times I've brought it into a dealer or someone else, I've always booked it in so that I can hang around and wait for it there - with me there, there's no way anyones taking it for a spin and that sort of thing happening !!! ;)

realrift
25th August 2008, 06:10 PM
Sad.

I remember taking my first car to Kmart auto years ago. When I went to pick it up after a service I saw them drive a customers commodore into the garage. The guy reversed it out hard tyres squealing, then while it was still rolling back, got wheelspin going forward into the garage! That should have been my warning. Then when I got in there they said there was a problem with one of my coolant pipes. Then while my engine was running a mechanic unscrewed a clamp in front of me and coolant pissed out everywhere. To which he responded "Its f%@ked mate, you can't drive that home".

When I came to pick it up about 2 days and ~$350 later, another mechanic said that they had replaced a metal coolant pipe. He also added "The old one wasn't that bad actually".

Never been back and never miss an opportunity to tell this story.

Cheers,
Rift.

poita
25th August 2008, 06:32 PM
Yes I've had horrors with my local dealer.
When I first bought the Calibra it had to have a cam sensor replaced.
First they bent 4 valves, then when teh replaced them they bent 16 valves (all of them) Had a rebuilt motor thanks to that.
The bastards tried to make me pay for it, like fuk !!!
Didn't pay a cent, saw the bill too, all itemised. Close to $4k trade price, total for me = $0 :)

Charlatan
25th August 2008, 07:27 PM
Now just in relation to this thread. Why is it everyone here has an opinon to what happened.

Mate, its an internet forum. If you're getting upset about people having an opinion, close the damn thing now!

Shaun
25th August 2008, 09:26 PM
Mate, its an internet forum. If you're getting upset about people having an opinion, close the damn thing now!

Point im making is that everyone round here seems to know EVERYTHING about Motor Vehicle Dealerships. and 99.9% of the people here dont work in a Dealership.

They are a large dealership with a reputation that is regard as quite high. Do you really think they were going to not pay this guy out or offer some kind of repair or replacement to there customer.

I have been a customer of the group in the past and they have done nothing but look after both My SRi T and VXR (at another branch ) with the UP MOST RESPECT and in a PROFESSIONAL manner. Hence why im being so vocal about this.

I dont believe that 99.9% of this forum would have been to the dealership in question therefore how can they hold an opinon based on what ONE customer and ONE news article they have read.

I feel for the guy who owns the car and would be quite pissed off it was my car but at the end of the day its between the CUSTOMER AND THE DEALERSHIP and an Internet forum has no consern commenting on the matter in terms of bagging out the dealership in question or any dealership in question. Theses a thing called slander and also could lead to a legal matter regarding " loss of income". Trust me it will turn around and bite those who have commented on the ASS. I have been there done that about 4 years ago but it wasnt a Dealership it was a automotive product supplyer.

poita
25th August 2008, 11:09 PM
I feel for the guy who owns the car and would be quite pissed off it was my car but at the end of the day its between the CUSTOMER AND THE DEALERSHIP and an Internet forum has no consern commenting on the matter in terms of bagging out the dealership in question or any dealership in question. Theses a thing called slander and also could lead to a legal matter regarding " loss of income". Trust me it will turn around and bite those who have commented on the ASS. I have been there done that about 4 years ago but it wasnt a Dealership it was a automotive product supplyer.

100% agree there mate, remember guys you can be held accountable for what you say on the forums.
So can the administration team, so if you wish to bag out businesses create a forum to do that on.
As posted I have had bad dealings with a local car dealership, but haven't mentioned a name. Have also dealt with them since, and seems to be a once of incident.
Word of mouth is a killer for businesses, keep to yourselves if you don't know what your talking about.

SKM_87
25th August 2008, 11:40 PM
still shows its a common issue. not just holden. i have friends working at a high end european dealership and those cars get flkogged on 'test drives'. anothe tafe mate crashed a customers car on a 'test drive' and he didnt have any consequences to deal with. many friends in smaller local workshops do the same, its jsut how things happen unfortunatly. if you have a nice car, really search for a honest mech. i personally in my carrer have never thrashed a customers car. i have driven them hard at full throttle but only when needed. and yes people in my line on work there are occasions for this.

Charlatan
26th August 2008, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure anyone has engaged in slander here. People have commented on the article published in a daily. No-one has said 'this is a common occurrence at this dealer' etc. We've all had rubbish service from a dealership at some stage, people are just venting in this thread. Completely agree you cant bag a specific dealership. Calling them 'Heartless' is not slander.

As for the dealer sorting out the customer after such an incident, its a hard thing to do. I imagine they will meet the 'market value' of the car. The owner of the 200 I posted was in court for 12 months to get a settlement.

Shaun
27th August 2008, 12:08 AM
I'm not sure anyone has engaged in slander here. People have commented on the article published in a daily. No-one has said 'this is a common occurrence at this dealer' etc. We've all had rubbish service from a dealership at some stage, people are just venting in this thread. Completely agree you cant bag a specific dealership. Calling them 'Heartless' is not slander.

As for the dealer sorting out the customer after such an incident, its a hard thing to do. I imagine they will meet the 'market value' of the car. The owner of the 200 I posted was in court for 12 months to get a settlement.

My comments 4 years ago werent of a slanderish nature but were deemed to be by the business conserned.

Snotty
27th August 2008, 12:53 AM
My comments 4 years ago werent of a slanderish nature but were deemed to be by the business conserned.
so then what are you complaining about? the people who have posted here "werent of a slanderish nature" but were deemed to be by you.

DirtyHarry
27th August 2008, 08:28 AM
jesus chris this country is ****ed, you cant even voice your own opinion any more.

i have been to that parramatta dealer ship a number of times and their service is dreadful, like i said i had my timing belt done..and suprise suprise when i took it back home i found the timing belt tensioner wasnt installed correctly.
now for blacktown heartland holden, when they serviced our fathers car, they delibertly didnt change the oil filter twice and yet had the decency to charge us for it and then argue that it was changed when we questioned them about it during the 2nd time around.
arndell park heartland holden - i had my power steering pump changed..what did i find, the wiring bracket loom was missing from the new pump, not to mention that the metal brake pipes were bent to try and force the pump upwards from the steering column (the wrong way of doing it...instead of taking off the whole sub frame and removing it that way)

so..as it goes, me i have been there an can comment that their service is pathetic. so if i were you shaun, i would double check everything they do to your car at the dealership.

Snotty
27th August 2008, 08:57 AM
jesus chris this country is ****ed, you cant even voice your own opinion any more.

you can, its just that there are people who think its their duty to tell you you cant.

Shaun
27th August 2008, 07:35 PM

i have been to that parramatta dealer ship a number of times and their service is dreadful, like i said i had my timing belt done..and suprise suprise when i took it back home i found the timing belt tensioner wasnt installed correctly.
now for blacktown heartland holden, when they serviced our fathers car, they delibertly didnt change the oil filter twice and yet had the decency to charge us for it and then argue that it was changed when we questioned them about it during the 2nd time around.
arndell park heartland holden - i had my power steering pump changed..what did i find, the wiring bracket loom was missing from the new pump, not to mention that the metal brake pipes were bent to try and force the pump upwards from the steering column (the wrong way of doing it...instead of taking off the whole sub frame and removing it that way)

so..as it goes, me i have been there an can comment that their service is pathetic. so if i were you shaun, i would double check everything they do to your car at the dealership.

The workman ship @ St Marys is Second to none. They look after the cars very well and have always carried out the work as required and called me when there was more work required before they carried it out.

Shaun

cocacola
27th August 2008, 11:00 PM

i do know how excellent they are, because i got fxxked before!! Heartland Parrametta.... they just don't know what they are doing other than thinking you as an idiot!!