PDA

View Full Version : Traction Control / (ESP) Light Issue

Z20LET
23rd August 2008, 12:38 AM
Hi everyone, I have had my Astra G SRi-T for almost 2 months now and up untill now haven't had any problems. Yesterday while driving in wet weather the traction contol came on and done its job as usual with the light flashing in the dash, it then went off and everything was fine. Later on while driving normally and no loss of traction I noticed that the light on the dash was permanently on and the traction conrol was no longer working. It then came good once the car had been off and then re-started, it again then did the exact same thing, worked fine and then the light came up and was no longer working. Today I was driving normally and the light came up again on the dash. Reading through the Holden owners manual suggests that there is a fault in the system when the light stays on. I've done a search of the threads and haven't really found much other than a few people saying it swithces itself off when there is too much power and wheel spin because the ECU doesn't know how to control it and gets confused. I don't see how this can be the case if the car is stock.

If anyone could help me out and let me know what the problem is or how it can be fixed please post away. Cheers.

CNBLU
23rd August 2008, 09:57 AM
plenty of guys in the uk have this problem and they relate it back to the AFM. Sometimes they get both abs and tc lights on at the same time.

I had this same problem as you only just after i had a wheel alignment done, but i narrowed it down to the steering wheel not being aligned straight. Took it back and made them check the sensors where plugged in and the light went away.

Z20LET
23rd August 2008, 10:32 AM
plenty of guys in the uk have this problem and they relate it back to the AFM. Sometimes they get both abs and tc lights on at the same time.

I had this same problem as you only just after i had a wheel alignment done, but i narrowed it down to the steering wheel not being aligned straight. Took it back and made them check the sensors where plugged in and the light went away.

Thanks CNBLU, I've also read on other threads that it might be related to the AFM, I hope not, doubt they would be cheap to replace. Would a Tech2 be able to identifiy the exact cause? Funny you mentioned the wheel alignment as I got one done yesterday, but the problem first occured before I got it done so it cant be the cause.

If any one else has any other suggestions please post away. Thanks

auzvectra
23rd August 2008, 11:05 AM
we still havent had any afm failures ib aus but i dont think.
many of us have had this prob, some come and go.
there is a faulty earth in the wireing harness that is the common cause.
i've been told there is a bad splice from many small earth wires to a couple of larger earth wires in the harness just to the lower left of the battery.

Z20LET
23rd August 2008, 05:36 PM
we still havent had any afm failures ib aus but i dont think.
many of us have had this prob, some come and go.
there is a faulty earth in the wireing harness that is the common cause.
i've been told there is a bad splice from many small earth wires to a couple of larger earth wires in the harness just to the lower left of the battery.

Thanks mate, i'm going to disconnect the battery over night as I heard this can clear up issues with the ECU. Hopefully this might sort out my problem.

trgsiguy
24th August 2008, 05:43 PM
I also have this issue.

Having any fault codes cleared or a wheel alignment generally sort it out for a while!

Z20LET
24th August 2008, 06:54 PM
I also have this issue.

Having any fault codes cleared or a wheel alignment generally sort it out for a while!

I've had the wheel alignment done, but how do I clear fault codes?

auzvectra
24th August 2008, 08:20 PM
you need a fault code scanner or tech 2 to clear them. where about r u located?

luvpsi
24th August 2008, 08:54 PM
I too used to have this problem (I think I started a thread here about it too). Used to happen when driving Sydney to Canberra on the highway but went away once my ECU was reflashed with the higher performance map...

Hi everyone, I have had my Astra G SRi-T for almost 2 months now and up untill now haven't had any problems. Yesterday while driving in wet weather the traction contol came on and done its job as usual with the light flashing in the dash, it then went off and everything was fine. Later on while driving normally and no loss of traction I noticed that the light on the dash was permanently on and the traction conrol was no longer working. It then came good once the car had been off and then re-started, it again then did the exact same thing, worked fine and then the light came up and was no longer working. Today I was driving normally and the light came up again on the dash. Reading through the Holden owners manual suggests that there is a fault in the system when the light stays on. I've done a search of the threads and haven't really found much other than a few people saying it swithces itself off when there is too much power and wheel spin because the ECU doesn't know how to control it and gets confused. I don't see how this can be the case if the car is stock.

If anyone could help me out and let me know what the problem is or how it can be fixed please post away. Cheers.

Z20LET
26th August 2008, 11:31 PM
you need a fault code scanner or tech 2 to clear them. where about r u located?

auzvectra, i'm in Melbourne. I did purchase a USB tech 2 off a guy through ebay, but it didn't seem to want to communicate with my laptop. Maybe it was windows Vist that was having the communication issues or maybe it was simply the product and the software that came with it. He said if I got the other tech 2 that he had that used a different kind of port other than USB that it would definately work. Doesn't matter I got my money back, although I would love to have one of the devices that works.

I've done a bit of searching through threads and people are saying its either the AFM which I dont think is the cause as the engine is running smooth and ideling fine, and no difference in fuel consumption, plus the car only has 32000km on it and I cant see an AFM shi**ing itself that earlie. And the other common cause were the sensors in the wheels hubs, but when they were the problem the ABS light was coming up on the dash aswell, not just the traction light. It seems that this is a very common problem with the Astra G. Its driving me crazy. If anyone has any suggestions please post away. Cheers

CNBLU
27th August 2008, 09:10 AM
I have a OBD scanner and im in melbourne;)

auzvectra
27th August 2008, 04:30 PM
i just started turning it off when eva i got in the car, then all of i sudden i stopped n it didnt happen again ;).

Z20LET
27th August 2008, 11:30 PM
i just started turning it off when eva i got in the car, then all of i sudden i stopped n it didnt happen again ;).

I'll give that a try and see how it goes, hopefully it will sort out the problem. If not i'm gonna check out the sensors on the wheel hub over the weekend. Thanks for your help auzvectra.

Z20LET
3rd September 2008, 05:56 PM
Have checked the sensors on the wheel hubs and they seem to be fine. I've noticed that the light always comes on after 10 minutes of driving. NEED HELP.

auzvectra
3rd September 2008, 06:35 PM
then it's the earth definately, that was 1 of the symptoms, light after about 10mins driving.
although i dont know the fix for it, holden was replacing the whole engine bay harness.
try adding an earth from the top right of the motor (from memory u should be bale to put an earth strap ontop where the coolant pipes crosses from the thermostat housing) and onto the radiator support, there is a bolt n nut there ready. this may or may not help ;).

CNBLU
3rd September 2008, 07:46 PM
http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=117185&highlight=earth+connection

auzvectra
3rd September 2008, 07:51 PM
well there you go, always knew it was there somewhere, but didnt know where.

cheers for that gav :).

Z20LET
3rd September 2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks for that auzvectra and gav, use have both been alot of help. I'm a bit confused as that is a fix for a rough idel. That isn't my problem. Could you please explain it to me. Thanks.

auzvectra
4th September 2008, 05:26 PM
it's the same problem. thats the bad earth point that causes the t/c system to shut down.
and if it doesnt work, atleast it's an easy fix to do anyway.

Z20LET
4th September 2008, 11:17 PM
it's the same problem. thats the bad earth point that causes the t/c system to shut down.
and if it doesnt work, atleast it's an easy fix to do anyway.

Thanks again auzvectra, ill look into it.

rhysc1986
7th September 2008, 10:33 AM
Z20LET tell me if that helps ur rough idle as i have the same problem, thanks

Z20LET
7th September 2008, 03:03 PM
Z20LET tell me if that helps ur rough idle as i have the same problem, thanks

I dont have a rough idel, i've got a traction control problem, which a bad earth could be the cause.

auzvectra
7th September 2008, 03:37 PM
rhysc i only sujested this thread for the link about 5 posts up as a possible fix for yours.
different symptons but.

rhysc1986
11th September 2008, 10:09 PM
ive found a grounding kit for astra you recon this would help these problems? like $50 off ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110287890694

CNBLU
11th September 2008, 11:24 PM
Rough Idle could also be a vacuum leak;)

Z20LET
25th September 2008, 10:35 PM
Ok people, I have finally had my car hooked up to a OBD II computer (scan tool) and the following code was present: C0710 - Steering Sensor, Incorrect signal. Can anyone help me out with a little more info?

CNBLU
25th September 2008, 10:51 PM
could be your POWER STEERING solenoid

auzvectra
26th September 2008, 06:22 AM
my guess would be the steering angle sensor for the esp system, but i have no idea where it is ;).

CNBLU
26th September 2008, 10:14 AM
or maybe it could be the hub sensor?

Z20LET
26th September 2008, 05:57 PM
I have located the Steering Angle Sensor which is on the steering shaft under the dash. I'm going to replace it and hopefully this will fix my problem. Where would be the best place to get a new sensor? Holden? I tried Autovaux.com but couldn't seem to find it on there. My hub sesors are ok CNBLU. Thanks.

auzvectra
26th September 2008, 06:14 PM
ring autovaux and ask em ;).

Z20LET
2nd October 2008, 12:41 PM
I gave Holden a call and priced the Steering Angle Sensor at $430. I dont want to go and spend the money and change the sensor if it's not the actual problem. I'm thinking its not the sensor as I have mentioned in previous posts that the ESP and Traction Control if fully functional and operates correctly before the light in the dash comes on. What should I do? Should I go ahead and replace the sensor and hope this fixes my problem? I need some advice.

Cheers.

rhysc1986
2nd October 2008, 12:58 PM
look for someone in uk who has item. things are so much cheaper in uk and if it turns out to be wrong thing u will be less pissed off having spent less. holden wanted $624 for coilpack i got it for $183 landed from uk.

poita
2nd October 2008, 01:19 PM
ring autovaux in the UK, ask for Mark or Keiron ;)

CNBLU
2nd October 2008, 03:06 PM
ive got a spare AFM if you want to try it out

Z20LET
2nd October 2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks to all who posted once again. I've got in contact with autovaux and they haven't heard of the sensor. I have given them a better explanation of where it is located etc... and hopefully they'll get back to me with an answer. Thanks for the offer on the AFM CNBLU but I doubt this is my problem as the slightest fault in the AFM will cause the engine to run like a pig. I wouldn't mind having a lend of your steering angle sensor lol.

Z20LET
5th October 2008, 07:50 PM
Problem fixed! I realized while driving the other day that my actual steering wheel was slightly off center, so I took it back to where I got my wheel alignment done and was a 5min fix. The actual problem was not the steering angle sensor under the dash on the steering shaft but was another sensor (possibly called the 'steering senor' as that is what came up on the OBD II scan tool) that is embedded in the steering rack. The steering rack had to be re-centered which centered my steering wheel and enabled the sensor to start communicating correctly again. Although the problem is fixed the fault code will still be stored in the ECU, should I get it cleared or will it eventually erase itself? Does it matter if it just sits stored in the system?

Thanks to everyone who posted up their opinions especially auzvectra and CNBLU who constantly gave feedback.

Cheers.

auzvectra
5th October 2008, 08:05 PM
the code will stay in the history, you could disconnect the battery overnite to clear it if you want.
it wont cause any issues if you dont get it cleared.
glad to help ;).

CNBLU
5th October 2008, 09:49 PM

;) glad you got it fixed buddy