PDA

View Full Version : The all new Viva revealed!

Red AH SRI T
22nd August 2008, 09:25 AM
Here are pics of the new Chevrolet Cruze/Holden Viva.

Of course ours will have a different grille.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/gallery/data/571/medium/cru1.jpg
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/gallery/data/571/medium/cru2.jpg
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/gallery/data/571/medium/cru3.jpg

pics from gminsidenews.com

SSS_Hoon
22nd August 2008, 09:29 AM
mmmm better then the current viva i guess.

SSS_Hoon

KingOfAstras
22nd August 2008, 09:31 AM
Call me crazy but the rear reminds me of a BMW :o

SSS_Hoon
22nd August 2008, 09:56 AM
your crazeeee..

I was thinking more like a Hyundai, or Camry.

SSS_Hoon

Vectracious
22nd August 2008, 10:08 AM
I actually don't mind it - if its at the same price point as the current one, then people will get a pretty good looking car for cheap. Side profile reminds me of a Vectra C Hatch

rjastra
22nd August 2008, 10:15 AM
It's got some road presence which is good. And it doesn't look like any of the other small cars on the market - also good.

I suppose the front light treatment may have overtones of the new yank Honda Accord

Ice
22nd August 2008, 10:48 AM
your crazeeee..

SSS_Hoon

yes but like the current 3 series sedan it does actually look like a toyota.

the Coup BM looks hot, the sedan scream Toyota

imay
22nd August 2008, 11:02 AM
Very American from the front, very Korean/Japanese/Asian from the back. I don't like all the sharp lines (or the front!).

Unfortunately it will probably sell if priced well.

maloo97
22nd August 2008, 11:07 AM
doesn't look too bad, looks more like the vectra than anything

Wraith
22nd August 2008, 11:10 AM
your crazeeee..

SSS_Hoon

LOL definitely crazy - I'd say more like a Honda, specifically the rear end, very much like the current Civic.

Does look nicer than the current model Viva...

So is thing from the GM chev or Daewoo factory ???

glider
22nd August 2008, 11:11 AM
wonder if there'll be people going around re badging theirs as chevys

poita
22nd August 2008, 11:28 AM

to rebadge it looks like you have to replace the whole front bar, as grille looks like part of it.

EL BURITO
22nd August 2008, 11:29 AM
meh

Wraith
22nd August 2008, 11:39 AM

As per the question I asked above - would that be Chevy-lising or Daewoo-lising :D

Really now how many here would have the guts to Daewoo-lise :D

This whole re-badging excercise regardless of brand is a big wank, they should just be left alone, except in cases where a car is multi branded from the start (ahem VXR ahem) - just my cents ;)

SSS_Hoon
22nd August 2008, 11:53 AM
the only good badge is a wet......:D

Some cars de badging is the way to go, some cars look better with badges on them.

SSS_Hoon

GodsKnight
22nd August 2008, 12:02 PM
your crazeeee..

SSS_Hoon

i was thinking new Civic

Wraith
22nd August 2008, 12:09 PM
the only good badge is a wet......:D

Some cars de badging is the way to go, some cars look better with badges on them.

SSS_Hoon

Agree...

If for whatever reason you don't like or don't want the factory badging on your car, de-badging all together is a much more sensible thing to do IMHO.

Ishley
22nd August 2008, 12:10 PM
I like it!

Except the grill. And the rear looks identicle to the new Civic

Wraith
22nd August 2008, 12:11 PM
i was thinking new Civic

Yep, with you on that one...

rjastra
22nd August 2008, 02:50 PM
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/gallery/data/571/medium/cru4.jpg

One good design aspect is that the wheels/tyres are push way out in the guards.

At launch in Europe, Cruze will be available with 16-valve, 1.6-liter (112 hp/82 kW) and 1.8-liter (140 hp/103 kW) gasoline engines featuring variable valve timing (VVT) on both inlet and exhaust sides, giving more power as well as better fuel economy and lower emissions. A new 2.0-liter turbo diesel, developing 150 hp/ 110 kW and 320 Nm of torque adds power with even greater frugality. Five-speed manual gearboxes and an all-new automatic transmission, Chevrolet's first six-speed application in the compact segment, complete the powertrain menu.

bornwild
22nd August 2008, 04:36 PM
LOL definitely crazy - I'd say more like a Honda, specifically the rear end, very much like the current Civic.

Does look nicer than the current model Viva...

So is thing from the GM chev or Daewoo factory ???

Yeap, rear is a straight Civic copy and the car will be Daewoo built...

rjastra
22nd August 2008, 04:50 PM
Civic rear lights etc...

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i30/3066_6lo.jpg

Not sure they are the same shape as the new Viva ... in fact they are upside down

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/gallery/data/571/medium/cru3.jpg

cocacola
22nd August 2008, 06:47 PM
Front=suzuki
rear=civic

Shaun
22nd August 2008, 06:53 PM
I like the look of it. They are on a winner....

cyclonic
23rd August 2008, 02:01 AM
Its not too bad. The interior is very good as well. It'll do well in the US, where Chevrolet really needs a strong small car in the market.

Shaun
23rd August 2008, 08:15 AM
Very American from the front, very Korean/Japanese/Asian from the back. I don't like all the sharp lines (or the front!).

Unfortunately it will probably sell if priced well.

Why is that Unfortunate? Isnt that the idea .........

rjastra
23rd August 2008, 10:03 AM
Why is that Unfortunate? Isnt that the idea .........

I would have thought that was the case... GM are dragging Daewoo forward at a good rate of knots. They really aren't bad cars for the price.

Funny... the current Viva has a more advanced rear suspension than the Astra

Shaun
23rd August 2008, 11:53 AM
I would have thought that was the case... GM are dragging Daewoo forward at a good rate of knots. They really aren't bad cars for the price.

Funny... the current Viva has a more advanced rear suspension than the Astra

FINALLY..... Someone who sees and agrees and see the hole point of the excercise....

All the GMDAT products represent true value for the coin you pay for them

Shaun

dieselhead
23rd August 2008, 02:45 PM
Totally agree Shaun, totally agree. I've got a Lacetti since April 2004 that never put a wheel wrong all these years. Very good value at 18,000 OTR, too. THe only thing I had to do is to replace the crap 15" steel wheels with 17" alloys. Now, if this new version that looks so much better is at least as reliable, they're having a winner indeed.

You can laugh about Korean cars as much as you like, but if you open your eyes you see that both Ford and Holden can take some lessons about how to build proper cars from these fellows. Both Commodore and Falcon are just shocking in this regard IMHO... Could be the expectations are too high when you buy a $50k V8 and too low for an $18k Viva, but still believe Aussie built cars quality is way behind World's average.

Shaun
24th August 2008, 06:39 PM
Totally agree Shaun, totally agree. I've got a Lacetti since April 2004 that never put a wheel wrong all these years. Very good value at 18,000 OTR, too. THe only thing I had to do is to replace the crap 15" steel wheels with 17" alloys. Now, if this new version that looks so much better is at least as reliable, they're having a winner indeed.

You can laugh about Korean cars as much as you like, but if you open your eyes you see that both Ford and Holden can take some lessons about how to build proper cars from these fellows. Both Commodore and Falcon are just shocking in this regard IMHO... Could be the expectations are too high when you buy a $50k V8 and too low for an $18k Viva, but still believe Aussie built cars quality is way behind World's average.

Problem here is people on here have this impression they are driving Europes finest motor vehicle on the planet.. At the end of the Day opel is just like Holden is in australia.

Ive only been saying that the Daewoo products are good value since the Barina was released. But tossers here seem to think that they know better. I recall the out cry from the public when Holden went from a Swft based barina to the Corsa Based Corsa. Problems such as build qualty was one of the main things problems people mentioned.

imay
24th August 2008, 07:35 PM
Yes, people will buy it; Yes, GM (global) will profit from the sales; Yes, Korean built cars are getting better build quality and reputation;
NO, Australian auto industry and affiliated components manufacturers and supporting industries will not profit from this move at all.

Australia could/should be building it's own world-class small car, instead of concentrating on churning out the poorly built (by comparison) Commodore and Falcons. Don't tell me that Holden and Ford are building cars that the Australian public want . . . we don't appear to be buying them too well at the moment! We are building cars that the American industry leaders are telling us to build, knowing full well that very soon it will be the death knell to the industry here in Australia.
Build the cars that the market needs and the market will buy them. Pretty simple I would have thought.

My views -- I'm just very concerned about the constant stream of imported cars (nay, all products) into this country that will eventually be our undoing as a once mighty industry leader.

Shaun
24th August 2008, 11:50 PM
Yes, people will buy it; Yes, GM (global) will profit from the sales; Yes, Korean built cars are getting better build quality and reputation;
NO, Australian auto industry and affiliated components manufacturers and supporting industries will not profit from this move at all.

Australia could/should be building it's own world-class small car, instead of concentrating on churning out the poorly built (by comparison) Commodore and Falcons. Don't tell me that Holden and Ford are building cars that the Australian public want . . . we don't appear to be buying them too well at the moment! We are building cars that the American industry leaders are telling us to build, knowing full well that very soon it will be the death knell to the industry here in Australia.
Build the cars that the market needs and the market will buy them. Pretty simple I would have thought.

My views -- I'm just very concerned about the constant stream of imported cars (nay, all products) into this country that will eventually be our undoing as a once mighty industry leader.

I wouldnt say that were licked in the sense that the Imports will over take sales. Not even one can afford 70k which is what you would pay for an Audi BMW or Mercedes Benz which is in comparable in size of car of a Commodore Belina or SV6.

There will always be a market in Australia for the Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon. Even though they might not be at the very top in sales they will continue to sell in decent numbers based on price size and they are locally built. Both arent anywhere close to being in trouble like Mitsubishi were.

ASTRAY
25th August 2008, 01:32 AM
i personally dont like the look of that viva.
i was thinking it looked very much like a toyota rear end, but also agree on the honda suggestion.
for those that want to stick up for daewoos, as i pointed out a few months ago, next time your driving around have a look to see how many older daewoos you see on the road...
they are very rare, the reason being they are very cheaply made and most are sitting in wrecking yards.
as for the opels just being the same as australias holden, opel built cars have much better build quality than holdens imho.
i wont ever be sticking up for daewoo, to me they are a pos and i think the safety ratings speak for themselves.
no way would i ever think that i have 1 of europes finest vehicles, but yes i beleive that my astra g is a bloody well built car, by far well built than any viva ive seen.
ontop of the safety ratings, open the bonnet/doors on a astra g or h, then open the same on a viva, i know which car id buy!
opel = quality
daewoo = quantity.
the only way daewoos could ever get better safety ratings is by adding more airbags etc as standard. which is what holden have done. but to me that doesnt make the build any better, it just means when you crash a daewoo tin can your gonna have more cushion.