PDA

View Full Version : Dads looking for a new car

GodsKnight
21st August 2008, 10:23 AM
Hey Guys

Dad is looking around for a new car for his wife.. he has about 23-25k to spend. What is around for that price? i know there are heaps so to limit the search my dad hates Nissan, Ford, Mitsubishi. I told him you would will be able to get a nice Opel for that price but not really in the know with what is around. Any thoughts?

poita
21st August 2008, 10:27 AM
new as in brand new, or second hand?

GodsKnight
21st August 2008, 10:34 AM
Either or...perhaps Demo?

Calibrated
21st August 2008, 10:36 AM
can get pretty much any 06/07 Astra H in that price bracket (except SRiT and VXR)

GodsKnight
21st August 2008, 10:42 AM
hows the Astra CDTI? with the cylinder Diesel Intercooled Turbo 1.9L? fair?

sooty
21st August 2008, 11:00 AM
hows the Astra CDTI? with the cylinder Diesel Intercooled Turbo 1.9L? fair?

If it's for your Dad's wife, what's she after? just driveability i assume, and a nice interior. Guessing performance isn't really gonna come into it?:confused: Maybe the n/a 2.2?

poita
21st August 2008, 11:02 AM
I've just done a price range search on carsguide, its not a definitive list obv.
But hope it will give you and idea, and help out.
You didnt really say what type of car, and yes i did put some of the not wanted in there. my bad

Fiat 500
Citroen C4
Fiat Punto
Mazda 2, 3, 6
Ford Escape
Ford Focus
Ford Mondeo
Holden Astra Twin Top Diesel
Hloden Commodore Lumina
Honda Accord
Honda Civic
Jeep Wrangler
Mini Cooper
Mitsubishi Colt
Mitsubishi Lancer
Nissan Dualis
Nissan Tiida
Nissan X-Trail
Peugeot 207
Renault Megane
Skoda Octavia
Smart Fortwo :p
Subura Impreza
Subura Liberty
Suzuki Grand Vitara
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Rav 4
VW Golf
VW Jetta
VW Beetle

GodsKnight
21st August 2008, 11:10 AM
Here is a short list tell me what you think:

Honda Accord
Subaru Liberty/Impreza
Holden Astra
Mazda 3/6

She wants a solid car that will drive well on long trips (i.e Sydney to Coffs Harbour) Comfortable interior and some power when needed.

sooty
21st August 2008, 11:12 AM
Personally, big scoobie fan :) libertys are a great car (pending which model of course)

lithium
21st August 2008, 11:21 AM
what does she want in her car?

i know you said your dad hates mitsus (dunno why, strong well designed engines in my opinion) but for bang-for-buck you can't go past a new base-model colt turbo

otherwise a second hand mazda3 would be a good choice...or as mentioned above the very good looking AH Astra (but she might find the 1.8 a bit sluggish)

lithium
21st August 2008, 11:23 AM
i vote for the Accord :) Hondas like to rev :)

poita
21st August 2008, 11:26 AM
I would go the Liberty or Accord for the longer trips

JohnBu
21st August 2008, 11:29 AM
If you want a simple good car with good resale, you can't go past the mazda 3.

brand new $22k driveaway (with alloys) for the neo sport manual.

myself, if it was my money, prob a low km manual CDTi.

Hackstra
21st August 2008, 11:44 AM
Go a subie, Liberty or Impreza. Especially the RS-X impreza, which is a 2.5L with like a "WRX Pack" makes them look great but without turbo power so lower insurance and less likely to crash!

Calibrated
21st August 2008, 11:54 AM
my final decision came down to a Liberty or the CDTi.

i must say, im very happy with my tractor.

although i do drool at every liberty that drives past

i think my obsession for opels played a big part in the decision.

EL BURITO
21st August 2008, 12:18 PM
Wat about a 07 Mazda 3 Diesel there are a couple on car sales under 25K

USC
21st August 2008, 01:59 PM
Astra CDTi is nice but they have not being around for long enough to test for reliability.

Get a Toyota Corolla Hatch. The new ones dont look too bad.

GodsKnight
21st August 2008, 02:17 PM
Astra CDTi is nice but they have not being around for long enough to test for reliability.

I also heard they are a little rough due to the sports suspension.

Get a Toyota Corolla Hatch. The new ones dont look too bad.

I do like the Corolla. I think though my dad is pretty set on a slightly larger car..i.e Accord/Liberty. I was also thinking about the Aurion but not sure if he wants a 6Cyl. he already has a massive 6L V8 lol which most of the petrol money goes towards.

rjastra
21st August 2008, 02:25 PM
I can't remember seeing if the car had to be auto or manual.

Whatever you choose... if long distances are involved then fuel economy, good nvh and servicing costs are important. Not to mention cruise control!

Therefore discount the Mazda 3 (noisey on the highway) and the liberty (higher running costs than competitors)

If auto... then discount the Astra CDTI as the auto version is low powered and thirsty.

I would be thinking of a secondhand Accord Euro. They all come with either a 6 speed manual or 5 speed auto (no 4 speed auto).
Maybe even a late model mazda 6 (the update version with 6 airbags and 6 speed manual)

A current model Corolla would also be good. Not fast but I have been told they are very refined compared to its competitors.

A bit left field ... a Renault Megane Sedan. Quite stylish, but without the hideous butt of the hatch. She could probably get into a NEW one for 25K. Diesel model are available. Actually, probably has the best diesel engine in the class.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/image36714_b.jpg

GodsKnight
21st August 2008, 02:32 PM
i would hate to know the cost for parts and service on a Renault?

Calibrated
21st August 2008, 03:12 PM
CDTi suspension is pretty good i think for a stock hatch setup....

as much as i am pro opel, etc. hence why i bought the CDTi.

i'd say the Liberty.

or an epica diesel... lol. i kid i kid.

GodsKnight
21st August 2008, 03:51 PM
haha fair enough Cali...

I think the choice will come down to Honda Accord Euro and Subaru Liberty..

Though as much as I like the Liberty i think the Honda Accord beats it.

JohnBu
21st August 2008, 04:20 PM
haha fair enough Cali...

I think the choice will come down to Honda Accord Euro and Subaru Liberty..

Though as much as I like the Liberty i think the Honda Accord beats it.

i too would pick the Euro, over the liberty.

the liberty does have awd, however unless you're going to the snow or off road, i can't see 95% of buyers needing awd. awd will also add weight & fuel consumption.

a bit left field and over the budget, but for $32k (asking price) its pretty nice

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/MAZDA/6/details.aspx?__Ntk=CarAll&__D=mps&Cr=1&State=All%20States&R=6141842&state_id=0&keywords=mps&__N=0%2055%201216%20834%20285%20257&distance=25&__Ns=pCar_Price_Decimal|0||pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag _Int32|1||pCar_ImageCount_Int32|1&__Ntt=mps&trecs=23&__Nne=20&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&silo=1003&__sid=119BE8F38B24&seot=0&sort_type=2&__Dx=mode%20matchany

Calibrated
21st August 2008, 04:39 PM
buy a shitter excel and save until the insignia arrives?

imay
21st August 2008, 05:27 PM
Here is a short list tell me what you think:

Honda Accord
Subaru Liberty/Impreza
Holden Astra
Mazda 3/6

She wants a solid car that will drive well on long trips (i.e Sydney to Coffs Harbour) Comfortable interior and some power when needed.

Couldn't really go past Subaru Liberty/Impreza if they can find a really good one in their price range.

poita
21st August 2008, 05:49 PM
Mate had Liberty Heritage, one with leather and the works.
Went bloody well, fuel economy was great on it, his lead foot is heavier than mine too.
Thing got up and went when you needed it, and was a great car for his misses to cart the two kids around in.

pred8r
21st August 2008, 07:23 PM
Mitsubishi 380, for mid $20k you could get a series 1 or 2, look at either a VRX or GT (40k-75k kms), convert to LPG using the 'proper' kit ($2.5k WITH rebate), which will return about 7lt/100km economy.

*Series 1 GT is NOT LPG compatible*

They will still be under a factory warranty, and with the change you could go on a 2 week holiday in the tropics somewhere.

I have a S1 380 GT, and its great value for money, and I bought BEFORE they bottomed out.
A quick carsales shows the older ones coming in well under $20k, benefits = a fullsize sedan that is quiet, comfortable, economic, quick and still has a factory warranty, you cant really go wrong.

GodsKnight
21st August 2008, 09:42 PM
Mitsubishi 380, for mid $20k you could get a series 1 or 2, look at either a VRX or GT (40k-75k kms), convert to LPG using the 'proper' kit ($2.5k WITH rebate), which will return about 7lt/100km economy.

*Series 1 GT is NOT LPG compatible*

They will still be under a factory warranty, and with the change you could go on a 2 week holiday in the tropics somewhere.

I have a S1 380 GT, and its great value for money, and I bought BEFORE they bottomed out.
A quick carsales shows the older ones coming in well under $20k, benefits = a fullsize sedan that is quiet, comfortable, economic, quick and still has a factory warranty, you cant really go wrong.

sounds nice man..but there is no way my dad would buy a Mitsubishi lol he is racist..Me however would love an EVO!

J
21st August 2008, 10:16 PM
sounds nice man..but there is no way my dad would buy a Mitsubishi lol he is racist..Me however would love an EVO!

lol...well, it's his loss :) Had a modified Magna 2.6 a few years ago, and I'd still be driving it now, had it not been rear-ended by some inattentive driver! I still miss its ride and handling to this day. If I ever need a large car again, I wouldn't hesitate to get a LPG 380 as pred8r said, or an AWD Magna with a supercharger...albeit with a large fuel bill!

Again, it's a real pity your Dad doesn't like Mitsubishi's! My next car will probably be a grey import late model Galant or Legnum. EVO AWD running gear, with a twin turbo 2.5 V6...yum! It'd run rings around an Accord Euro. Cheaper, too. But seeing as he is happy to settle for second best, an Accord Euro will have to do :)

All the best with his purchase!

lithium
22nd August 2008, 11:22 AM

errm he does knows that hondas and subi's are Japanese cars too right?
if he doesn't, don't tell him because he'll miss out on some great technology :D