PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG Black Series

Ice
18th August 2008, 01:01 PM
Here is some info on the SL65 which was on the Intranet at work.

1000NM Torque !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

The Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG Black Series - the exclusive high-performance coupé for the discerning motorist
Sensational appearance, unique performance data, with
light-weight design throughout and total exclusivity - that's the new Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG Black Series. This high-performance coup&#233; is a motorsport engineering thoroughbred, opening up new drive dynamic vistas to sports car enthusiasts. http://intra.corpintra.net/Projects/c2c/cda/images/channel8/blank.gifhttp://intra.corpintra.net/Projects/c2c/cda/images/channel8/blank.gif http://intra.corpintra.net/Projects/c2c/channel/images/657264_1179220_210_109_8.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:Void();) http://intra.corpintra.net/Projects/c2c/cda/images/channel8/ico15x15_lupe_dc.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:Void();) Enlarge (http://javascript<b></b>:Void();)
http://intra.corpintra.net/Projects/c2c/cda/images/channel8/blank.gifThe AMG 6.0 litre V12 biturbo engine, with a maximum output of 493 kW/670 hp and 1000 Newtonmetres of torque, guarantees super sports car level performance. The powerful two-seater was developed in the AMG PERFORMANCE STUDIO and represents the continuation of the highly successful Black Series strategy pursued by AMG, the Mercedes-Benz Cars Performance brand.
Broad, muscular and ready to pounce - that's the new Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG Black Series. Even when stationary, the coup&#233;'s superlative dynamism can arouse great passions. The strikingly broad mudguards, the retractable rear spoiler and the rear apron with diffuser fins point unmistakably to its motorsport origins, part of the Mercedes-AMG corporate philosophy for more than 40 years. One glance at the new SL 65 AMG Black Series and you are reminded of the successful AMG racing sports cars like the present DTM C-Class or the 1997 CLK-GTR from the FIA-GT series.
Wide cooling air apertures in the front apron and the bonnet are the clearest indication of the massive power of this AMG twelve-cylinder, biturbocharged engine. From its 5980 cubic capacity, the AMG V12's engine generates a maximum power of 493 kW/670 hp at 5400 rpm and an electronically limited torque of 1000 Newtonmetres between 2200 and 4200 rpm. Without a limiter, the AMG 6.0 litre V12 biturbo engine, which is hand-built in the AMG engine factory in accordance with the "one man – one engine" philosophy, would achieve a maximum torque of 1200 Newtonmetres. Compared with the basis power pack in the 450 kW/612 hp SL 65 AMG, new turbochargers were developed for the twelve-cylinder SL 65 AMG Black Series engine. The turbochargers' spiral cross-section, now twelve per cent larger, and the optimised wastegate ducts permit increased air throughput and an even more impressive display of power in all engine speed ranges. The modified intake air ducting results in an even more spontaneous response. The new design for the AMG sports exhaust gas system's rear silencers reduce the exhaust gas backpressure and help increase the power output. The acoustic side effect of this is to produce a distinctive twelve-cylinder sound, typically evocative of AMG engine tuning, from the two trapezoidal tail pipes. The low-temperature charge air cooler, now 30 per cent more powerful, and the optimised water cooling system guarantee not only that the power generated under extreme dynamic driving conditions is exploited to the maximum but also the greatest possible fatigue strength at high outside temperatures.

SL 65 AMG Black Series

Configuration and number of cylinders, valves per cylinder

V12

Cubic capacity cm&#179;

Bore x stroke mm

82,6 x 93,0

Compression ratio

9,0 : 1

Power output kW/hp
at rpm

493/670

Max. torque Nm
at rpm

1000*
2200-4200

Acceleration 0-100 km/h s

Top speed km/h

320*

btm
18th August 2008, 01:07 PM
sex

Ice
18th August 2008, 01:08 PM
sex

and then some !

Wraith
18th August 2008, 01:12 PM
Yep, this is yet another car that scared Clarkson when he drove it LOL :D

It needs to be good as Merc. intend replacing the SL/R Vision with this model ;)

BTM will get on my case about this next comment, BUT it still gets its arse whipped by the GT-R :p :D

Ice
18th August 2008, 01:20 PM
Ahhhhh no !!!! ok mayeb off the line, but top end ? I guess the only place they will be able to reach top end is on a salt lake, they'de run out of room with a runway, haha

and Wraith, you do have a thing for Skyline's...sorry this particular one.

tell me honestly you wouldnt have this Merc over the Skyline ?! if money wasnt an issue ofcourse, haha

Wraith
18th August 2008, 01:30 PM
Ahhhhh no !!!! ok mayeb off the line, but top end ? I guess the only place they will be able to reach top end is on a salt lake, they'de run out of room with a runway, haha

and Wraith, you do have a thing for Skyline's...sorry this particular one.

tell me honestly you wouldnt have this Merc over the Skyline ?! if money wasnt an issue ofcourse, haha

According to those specs, the Black would have it over the GT-R in the top end by approx. 13km/h, ie: 307km/h vs 320km/h :)

But yes, from standstill the GT-R would eat it, rolling starts would be a different story, again the Black may have the edge ;) however on a track, handling wise, I'd say the GT-R would win by a huge margin - then there's the V-Spec which will spank the Merc. every way known :)

But yeh, I keep mentioning it, because I'm eagerly awaiting something else which can come along and beat it, but that looks like being another Japanese car (new generation Honda NSX or the Lexus supercar) and of course what the GT-R gives you for the money, which is truly unbeatable...

If I had the money to afford a Black and could only have one car, I wouldn't buy the Merc. I'd buy the new LP56O-4 Lambo Gallardo :)

SSS_Hoon
18th August 2008, 01:46 PM
nah, dont like it.

GT-R way better for sure...

/END

SSS_Hoon

Ice
18th August 2008, 02:06 PM
According to those specs, the Black would have it over the GT-R in the top end by approx. 13km/h, ie: 307km/h vs 320km/h :)

But yes, from standstill the GT-R would eat it, rolling starts would be a different story, again the Black may have the edge ;) however on a track, handling wise, I'd say the GT-R would win by a huge margin - then there's the V-Spec which will spank the Merc. every way known :)

But yeh, I keep mentioning it, because I'm eagerly awaiting something else which can come along and beat it, but that looks like being another Japanese car (new generation Honda NSX or the Lexus supercar) and of course what the GT-R gives you for the money, which is truly unbeatable...

If I had the money to afford a Black and could only have one car, I wouldn't buy the Merc. I'd buy the new LP56O-4 Lambo Gallardo :)

ohhh shush ! hahaha

and its 320* limited ran out of track

MatsHolden
18th August 2008, 03:17 PM
Saw a CLK 63 Black Series down Chapel last week. Awesome car.

Vectracious
18th August 2008, 03:26 PM
What are you going to do with 1000Nm of torque seriously?? Spin the earth the other way?

The germans (especially Mercedes) are going nuts with horsepower wars lately - so funny seeing them sit there and worry about such a "common" pissing war - while the Seppo's work hard to make their car's handle.... :D

btm
18th August 2008, 03:48 PM
Saw a CLK 63 Black Series down Chapel last week. Awesome car.

what day? i saw one on thursday night on chapel street

Ice
18th August 2008, 04:10 PM
What are you going to do with 1000Nm of torque seriously?? Spin the earth the other way?

The germans (especially Mercedes) are going nuts with horsepower wars lately - so funny seeing them sit there and worry about such a "common" pissing war - while the Seppo's work hard to make their car's handle.... :D

Whats a Seppo ? Bahhh the Germans are the best at making cars and there is simply no argument !

Vectracious
18th August 2008, 04:23 PM
Whats a Seppo ?

Derogatory term for an American -

Seppo -> Septic Tank -> Full of shit ;)

Agree about the Germans - just dont think a car can have that much power and be forgiving to drive.

lithium
18th August 2008, 04:44 PM
how can a car with that much power be slower than a GT-R?

i'm not trying to say one is better than the other because the GT-R is obviously better :D just that this car is a good example of something that looks quite formidable on paper but doesn't match up to lesser powered rivals both in a straight line and (i'm guessing) around corners

i've never understood why some cars are like that - is it the tyres? AWD? chassis weight? chassis balance? torque curve? all of the above? :confused:

Vectracious
18th August 2008, 04:57 PM
2WD vs AWD - would have a hard time getting all that power to the road for straight line

Around corners - a car without a big V12 is going to handle a lot better as its not going to be as nose heavy.

lithium
18th August 2008, 05:53 PM
ah cool, makes sense :)

it might be blasphemous to say, but then why don't we make all cars AWD and mid-engined?

Vectracious
18th August 2008, 06:09 PM
ah cool, makes sense :)

it might be blasphemous to say, but then why don't we make all cars AWD and mid-engined?

hehehe - honestly, sometimes AWD is boring - can't get the tail out unless you really provoke it - and a good old fashioned burnout is impossible. :D

Mid engined cars are supposedly very twitchy and hard to drive themselves (never driven one so I'm only going by what I've read) :)

Ice
18th August 2008, 06:39 PM
Derogatory term for an American -

Seppo -> Septic Tank -> Full of shit ;)

Agree about the Germans - just dont think a car can have that much power and be forgiving to drive.

I know its a bit crazy.....its getting Veyron territory !

bornwild
18th August 2008, 06:58 PM
Ange, this car can do a lot more than 320km/h ;)

My guess is, top end is about 360-370 which demolishes the GTR....also, we are yet to see the nordschleife track time for this black series SL :)

MatsHolden
18th August 2008, 08:55 PM
what day? i saw one on thursday night on chapel street

hmm can't remember to be honest. I'm there everyday. lol But i'd say it would be the same one, not many of those getting around!

sooty
18th August 2008, 08:58 PM
not many of those getting around!

Apparently 45 of the 50 brought to australia have been sold :) so not like you're gonna see one everyday...makes the nerdburger more exclusive than it though:rolleyes: lol

Ice
18th August 2008, 09:24 PM
Ange, this car can do a lot more than 320km/h ;)

My guess is, top end is about 360-370 which demolishes the GTR....also, we are yet to see the nordschleife track time for this black series SL :)

yeh but to do 370 you need a frikin salt lake ! haha

btm
19th August 2008, 08:32 AM
yeh but to do 370 you need a frikin salt lake ! haha

or your own airport :D

Wraith
19th August 2008, 08:58 AM
how can a car with that much power be slower than a GT-R?

i'm not trying to say one is better than the other because the GT-R is obviously better :D just that this car is a good example of something that looks quite formidable on paper but doesn't match up to lesser powered rivals both in a straight line and (i'm guessing) around corners

i've never understood why some cars are like that - is it the tyres? AWD? chassis weight? chassis balance? torque curve? all of the above? :confused:

Ah my friend and there is the question that so many are asking - including all the top Euro exotic marks - hence why they were amongst the 1st to purchase GT-R's bring them back to their hide-a-ways, take em apart and study/reverse engineer and learn from the 'actual' current forefront leaders in car makers as to how it's done !!! ;)

As mentioned the AWD is a great advantage, but in the case of the GT-R's set up it is a perfectly balanced rear wheel bias set up and it posseses a mechanical drivetrain with only a 10% power loss - unmatched by any other car and unheard of before in the AWD World !!!

It posseses twin turbos (as you all know) which never run negative boost (which you probably didn't know) so there's power/response on tap all the time !!!

The GT-R can change direction with it's steering and chassis and electronics working together so quickly, it makes an Evo 10 look like it's sleeping !!!

You know those angle shifting headlights being put on so many cars these days ?? well Nissan couldn't put them on the GT-R because it reacts to fast for those headlights to keep up !!!

I could go on, but hopefully you start to get the picture as to how this car seemingly defies the laws of physics, but in actual fact, all it does is as Nissan engineers have put it - "we don't defy the laws of physics, we just apply them properly" *end of equation* !!!

As for top speed, the 307km/h I've quoted is also governed or limited Mr Bornwild :D the GT-R posseses a coefficient of drag number and aerodynamics and sufficient down force and power to go way higher - how high, we'll let the tuners find out on long enough tracks :)

For anyone interested, just go to the GT-R Blog, most if not all the info on the R35 is there and it's updated daily...

There's also all the latest tuning/mods coming to market for this car on there, tuned GT-R's will be untouchable for years to come IMO...

http://www.gtrblog.com/index.php?blog=4

I still want a Lambo Gallardo LP560-4 :D

lithium
19th August 2008, 10:26 AM
interesting - 10% transmission loss in an AWD is absolutely phenomenal. i think my Barina has more and its a tiny FWD car

honestly, were you to offer me either for free i'd probably take the black over
the gt-r :D i think unless you're a very skilled driver and drive them off public roads, you'll never get anywhere close to the exploring the limits of either car, and the black is going to be much more exclusive than the gt-r.

in twenty years, R35s are going to be todays WRXs for the next generation of kids!

Ice
19th August 2008, 10:46 AM
interesting - 10% transmission loss in an AWD is absolutely phenomenal. i think my Barina has more and its a tiny FWD car

honestly, were you to offer me either for free i'd probably take the black over
the gt-r :D i think unless you're a very skilled driver and drive them off public roads, you'll never get anywhere close to the exploring the limits of either car, and the black is going to be much more exclusive than the gt-r.

in twenty years, R35s are going to be todays WRXs for the next generation of kids!

ooooofff !!!! OUCH ! how very true.......

SSS_Hoon
19th August 2008, 11:00 AM
It's so true though.

The GT-R's have never really gone out of fashion (if that is what you want to call it) they have always been there not like they were locked away in a cupboard and forgotten about.

If given for free id keep the GTR and sell the black merc for about 60&#37; retail and get me a R8 or RS6 Advant.....

SSS_Hoon

btm
19th August 2008, 11:01 AM
ooooofff !!!! OUCH ! how very true.......

and disturbing... how many unexperienced drivers are already killing themselves and innocent people in the cars they currently have!

imagine them let loose in something 2x more hi-po!

lithium
19th August 2008, 11:15 AM
and disturbing... how many unexperienced drivers are already killing themselves and innocent people in the cars they currently have!

imagine them let loose in something 2x more hi-po!

it's natural selection at work right there ;)
good point though, if i hadn't started out learning in a busted old camry i'd probably be wrapped around a pole by now as well. i think all drivers should progress from the beaten up family car and go step by step up the performance scale - or you'll be in trouble, i don't care how good a driver you think you are!

xplosv57
19th August 2008, 01:23 PM
Yet another GT-R vs. something thread lol!!!

The Black series cars are absolutely phenomenal (with the matching phenomenal price tag), the power and torque outputs as well as keeping the governments and emissions people happy is amazing!

Plus even if the GT-R is cheaper and quicker, the Merc looks 1000 times better, and that's really what matters in the end (lol)!!!!

Vectracious
19th August 2008, 01:40 PM
Plus even if the GT-R is cheaper and quicker, the Merc looks 1000 times better, and that's really what matters in the end (lol)!!!!

Ricer :p

xplosv57
19th August 2008, 01:46 PM
Ricer :p

I just said i'd take the slower more expensive Euro over the Jap car, so how is that 'ricer', scooby?? :p

Vectracious
19th August 2008, 02:17 PM
I just said i'd take the slower more expensive Euro over the Jap car, so how is that 'ricer', scooby?? :p

Coz all you care about is looks and you want the slower car.

A 1.6 Lancer with a body kit also has "looks" (used the term loosely) but it is slower than an EVO.

Therefore you are a ricer. :D :D :p

:lamor:

Wraith
19th August 2008, 04:47 PM
Yet another GT-R vs. something thread lol!!!

The Black series cars are absolutely phenomenal (with the matching phenomenal price tag), the power and torque outputs as well as keeping the governments and emissions people happy is amazing!

Good point Steve, but as we all know looks are subjective...

True though that at the end of the day, as an enthusiast and not just a normal joe blow who dosn't care about cars, if you had the dosh, you'd want whichever floats your boat more, in your case the Black, for me the new Gallardo in that sort of price bracket, to me 1000 times better looking than anything else, even the GT-R ;)

Or if I really could one of these, the new Veyron vert. :D

http://i35.tinypic.com/14x1hmh.jpg