PDA

View Full Version : Car transport? Sydney --> Perth

RedRaven
22nd July 2004, 03:26 PM
Hi guys -

Finally found a decent job and don't need to sell my SRi (woot!)

But new job is in Perth, car is in Sydney. Prefer not to drive all the way over (too much risk of 'roo strike or other damage). She's only done 5600kms since Jan03 too :)

What's a good way of getting my car over to Perth? Train? Car carrier?

Any idea what $$$ I'm looking at?

Cheers for any help!

RedRaven
Black '03 Astra SRi

Anonymous
22nd July 2004, 03:35 PM
hi raven go the choo-choo and if u can travel with it u can get a package deal

ps good luck in the new job

ultim8DTM5
22nd July 2004, 09:15 PM
Train is the best bet, but how many times in your life have you a chance to drive across Australia?

Be about $2k in fuel, hopefully your new employers will pay for it.

PaulTheBall
22nd July 2004, 09:24 PM
$2000 in fuel? surely much less. We've done the family holiday from Melbourne to WA a couple of times and it takes around 5 days: Mel->Port Augusta, PA->Eucla, Eucla->Esperance, Esperance->Albany. The second time we did it we did Mel->Mildura, then Mildura to PA.

Haven't done it for around 10 years though... but I'm sure the highway is as boring as it always was :)

If you use two tanks of fuel per day (~600km out of a tank?) that probably works out to a maximum of $1000, and might be a little less given the fuel economy out on the open road.

ultim8DTM5
22nd July 2004, 11:00 PM
But if your in 5th gear you don't get the fuel economy benefits of an automatic's overdrive.

I dunno, drive is what I'd do!!!

blueraven
22nd July 2004, 11:13 PM
i drove with my ex from perth to sydney in a mirage. (yes i know :P 120 max :bang: )

total fuel cost was about $900

imay
23rd July 2004, 07:35 AM
DRIVE.
If you've never done it before, do it now! It would have to be one of the greatest road trips anywhere in the world. The changes of landscape, vegetation, weather, people, etc., every couple of hundred kms helps you to appreciate what a huge and vast country we live in. Guess it depends on what you're looking for, though. Some might find it boring . . . I find cities boring. They are all the same (big building, Westfields, maniac drivers, rubbish). I always find something new to look at when I'm driving. Things that I'll quite possibly never see again.
I've done it twice from Adelaide to Perth (and back) and would do it again tomorrow if I had the chance. Unfortunately my present partner believes that flight is the only way to travel long distances. Problem with that is you miss all of the above. Few hours in a metal tube and before you know it you are back in a capital city with lots of the same you just left behind. Boring.
Trust me . . . DRIVE! Take your time, and you'll never regret it.
And even if you covered 7000 km, I don't see how your fuel bill would reach $2000. Even at $2 a litre it wouldn't cost that!

PaulTheBall
23rd July 2004, 08:26 AM
I agree driving the way to go... if you have the time to do it.

And there are lots of side trips you can take on the way if you are into touristy things.

ultim8DTM5
23rd July 2004, 09:23 PM
Carry a few bottles of octane booster for the shizzle servos in the sticks, yo