PDA

View Full Version : tab on the rear view mirror

lithium
5th August 2008, 01:47 PM
yesterday i found out what that little tab on the bottom of the rear view mirror does. at night you push it in and it flips the mirror up, switching it to 'anti-glare' mode and dimming the headlights of the cars behind

i've been driving almost ten years and i never knew what it did! am i the only one?

that said i tried it for a bit and decided i didn't like it so flipped it back :D

Vectracious
5th August 2008, 01:51 PM
am i the only one?

Yes

:p :D

lithium
5th August 2008, 01:54 PM
Yes

:p :D

:D:D

btm
5th August 2008, 01:56 PM
Yes

+1 :p

blueraven
5th August 2008, 02:11 PM
Yes

:eek:

MatsHolden
5th August 2008, 02:14 PM
Have you worked what that big round thing in front of the driver is yet? lol just joking.

Calibrated
5th August 2008, 02:16 PM
holy crap. is that how poor the australian licence tests are! :eek:

Snotty
5th August 2008, 02:18 PM
+1 :p

+2

MatsHolden
5th August 2008, 02:19 PM
holy crap. is that how poor the australian licence tests are! :eek:

Nope, considering it seems to be only ONE person so far that didn't realise... lol

Vectracious
5th August 2008, 02:35 PM
:eek:

what? :p

Vectracious
5th August 2008, 02:53 PM
I find the anti glare thing pretty useless except if you are driving at night on a road with only 1 car behind you and no street lights

the auto dimming mirrors on higher spec Euro cars are pretty cool though :D

immenotu
5th August 2008, 03:00 PM
Seems you're the only one :D

The only problem with it (in my car at least) is that to move the tab the whole mirror moves (and not the way its supposed to :p) because the tab is stiffer than the mirror joint.

Its bloody hard to realign the rearview mirror when its pitch black outside.

Vectracious
5th August 2008, 03:09 PM
because the tab is stiffer than the mirror joint.

the opel ones are pretty rubbish, in both the Vectra and the astra, the spring or whatever is there to keep the mirror in position eventually wore out and the mirror was pretty loose - we had both replaced under warranty too... - and if you did use the anti glare tab/switch - I had the same problem, the whole mirror moved.

btm
5th August 2008, 03:09 PM
i find the ridiculosly placed rear wing on my car to be quite good at reducing the glare from headlights behind :)

Vectracious
5th August 2008, 03:13 PM
i find the ridiculosly placed rear wing on my car to be quite good at reducing the glare from headlights behind :)

hahah - me too! :D

lithium
5th August 2008, 03:55 PM
hahaha ok guys
don't i feel like a goose :D

MatsHolden: you must mean the round thing where you press it and it makes a horn noise? dunno what else it does :p
calibrated: you don't need anti-glare rear mirrors to drive! what's that saying...if you need to check your mirrors you aren't driving fast enough :)

glider
5th August 2008, 05:19 PM

+1

xplosv57
5th August 2008, 07:49 PM
the auto dimming mirrors on higher spec Euro cars are pretty cool though :D

Have to disagree, the one i got in my company car is bloody annoying, if there's peak hour traffic in the night behind you, it goes super dark and is pretty much useless as a rear view mirror!!!

Wish it just had the simple anti glare tab instead!!!

Vectracious
5th August 2008, 07:51 PM
Have to disagree, the one i got in my company car is bloody annoying, if there's peak hour traffic in the night behind you, it goes super dark and is pretty much useless as a rear view mirror!!!

Wish it just had the simple anti glare tab instead!!!

really? I've driven 2 330i's (E46's) with the auto mirror and they worked perfectly.... even in peak hour traffic at night....

xplosv57
5th August 2008, 07:58 PM
really? I've driven 2 330i's (E46's) with the auto mirror and they worked perfectly.... even in peak hour traffic at night....

Ahh ok, maybe they've gone too technical with the one i've got, works alright, but tonight was pointless, couldn't see anything behind me!!!

tomtom
5th August 2008, 08:50 PM
i've been driving almost ten years and i never knew what it did! am i the only one?

My dad told me what that did when i was 7.

:p

The only time I've really used/needed to use the tab was when I was being chased by a VX commodore who had xenons + highbeam. I ended up speaking to them and they're excuse was " I couldnt see so i highbeamed". It's funny some poeple don't know that when you highbeam, it glares people.

This VX also locked all 4 wheels in one of the corners :S. What a nub to chase me through those conditions (tight and narrow in what i'd call, a death course.). Trying to chuck a TAKUMI. zzzz.

JR
5th August 2008, 10:35 PM
that little tab is a life saver for me!!! i reckon that's one of the best simple inventions they put on a car for night driving.
why - cause the number of fcukwits i see driving with their highbeams on (when driving between canberra n sydney) is ridiculous!!!
"i can't see, so i'll use my high beams"!!! they should go buy a new bulb for their blown lowbeam headlight or get it aimed correctly!!! tools!!!

anyways, back onto the topic (now that i've vented my anger) - yes, those anti-glare rear view mirrors r awesome :clap:

now, if only the side mirrors could do that too....hmmm :think:

The Bone Ranger
6th August 2008, 07:57 AM
Now if someone can tell me what the pedal between the clutch and the accelerator does, I'll be set...

Andrew