PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear S6 E6 - Final

Vectracious
29th July 2008, 09:38 AM
Just watched it this morning before work.

It's things like the last bit of the Gumpert Apollo test where you see it powersliding out of a corner (hammerhead?) with one of the Batman movie soundtracks in the background and I just think - "This is one of the best TV programs ever..."

:clap: to the BBC

poita
29th July 2008, 06:45 PM
Have it downloaded, jsut gotta watch it now.
Cant wait :)
Most ppl have said it's the BEST series ever!

guy 27
29th July 2008, 07:11 PM
definitely the best ep of the series in my books. really well executed from the cars, the drivers and even that cute girl in the short blue dress in the audience (14min and 3seconds in)

blueraven
30th July 2008, 09:54 AM
one of the best episodes EVER :)

SSS_Hoon
30th July 2008, 10:21 AM
i dont understand why download it, y not jsut wait till its on tv here as its way better quality then the downloaded version is.

From all sounds of it though this season is good, allbeit short only 6 eps?

SSS_Hoon

blueraven
30th July 2008, 11:40 AM
i dont understand why download it, y not jsut wait till its on tv here as its way better quality then the downloaded version is.

SSS_Hoon

You download it in HD format....so waiting for it on tv wont be better quality.

6 episodes now, 6 later on in the year :)

SSS_Hoon
30th July 2008, 11:44 AM
damm HD download would be massive wouldnt it?

Its in HD on SBS now well my telly says its in 720P

Then you can only watch it on the pc i was told as its in some wierd format that standalone DIVX DVD players wont play.

Oh ok so its a split season or will the next 6 be season 12?

SSS_Hoon

Vectracious
30th July 2008, 11:45 AM

SSS_Hoon

I think we're also 2 or 3 seasons behind here in Australia.....

I'm hooked on it now so can't wait to watch the new ones... that and my SBS reception is crap :(

gman
30th July 2008, 11:48 AM
If you download in HD you can play it though your HDTV, just need a media centre, media box or use an Xbox360.

I use my Xbox360 and either play straight from there or just use the wireless connection to it and play it from my laptop through the Xbox to the TV.

I used to use a media centre/box with a seperate HDD, but since they unlocked the Xbox360 to play different codec's, its just gathers dust..

So far i've got 760Gb of stuff watched/to watch...Ahh the joys of unlimited speed/unlimited download ISP's....Gotta love HK.. ;)

SSS_Hoon
30th July 2008, 11:56 AM
the season on tv here is season 10 so not 2 season behind anymore we used to be but have snice caught up.

I was looking at getting a media box of sorts think it was a sarotech or somecrap, but it all looked to hard and i gave up tring to download stuff when i couldnt get the program to actually download stuff.

Damm unlimited speed/download what speed u get with that?

SSS_Hoon

btm
30th July 2008, 12:29 PM
anyone got the season on cd/dvd/divx?

gman
30th July 2008, 03:16 PM
the season on tv here is season 10 so not 2 season behind anymore we used to be but have snice caught up.

I was looking at getting a media box of sorts think it was a sarotech or somecrap, but it all looked to hard and i gave up tring to download stuff when i couldnt get the program to actually download stuff.

Damm unlimited speed/download what speed u get with that?

SSS_Hoon

It runs at up to 800/900kbs+ when downloading multiple items sometimes, its usually limited to the connectino speed at the other end...Great for downloading updates etc though...

Record for an episode of Top Gear as far is 11 mins 13sec for a full HD episode including the extended news and interviews....

wishbone
30th July 2008, 04:52 PM
i hope you guys keep up to date with it, i mean when is airs again.
i'll miss it. i didnt think the gumpert would break the record. it was quite disgusting looking.
and for jay kay to beat cowell in the same show. was a must to watch :P

Vectracious
30th July 2008, 09:12 PM
and for jay kay to beat cowell in the same show. was a must to watch :P

It was good, but they made an exception for him, they chose his fastest time out of 8 or 9 laps - everyone else with the new car gets one shot for a good lap and thats it.....

ah who cares, its only television..... :rolleyes: :D

dieselhead
30th July 2008, 09:20 PM
Betcha they've done that for Jay just to piss Cowell off :)

You don't have to go to HK for fast internet. Mine maxxed out at almost 2MB/s while downloading some "linux distros". True that my quota is only 40BG/month but it is plenty enough to fit my favourite car show in it. Had the 6th episode on my HDD Monday morning at 8:14, thatnks to the chaps that uploaded it I reckon minutes after was aired in UK.

Vectracious
30th July 2008, 09:25 PM
hehehe, yeah, they even said on the show - he's been up the top long enough....

very convenient JayKay was 0.1 sec quicker - its probably made up... :D

Brucey
2nd August 2008, 07:54 PM
Did anyone notice that you could see part of the stig's face(mainly the eyes) in the Aston vs Porsche race at the end? Was at 58mins and a 59mins, there were other small glimpses as well.
Screen shot to prove it as well...

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/7868/14846006vw1.jpg

poita
3rd August 2008, 09:12 PM
nice spot brucey

Wraith
4th August 2008, 04:44 PM
Did anyone notice that you could see part of the stig's face(mainly the eyes) in the Aston vs Porsche race at the end? Was at 58mins and a 59mins, there were other small glimpses as well.
Screen shot to prove it as well...

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/7868/14846006vw1.jpg

I don't know whether or not it pays to know who he is, because it's not always the same person anyways !!!

There have been a few different pro race car drivers that have 'played' the stig since the show 1st began...

They'll probably eventually release a list of them all...

poita
4th August 2008, 05:44 PM
From what I have read on the interweb, and we know how accurate some things can be.
The first few years the Stig was a different person each episode, later in the years, about season 4 they started using the same Stig for the entire series.

Wraith
5th August 2008, 09:21 AM
From what I have read on the interweb, and we know how accurate some things can be.
The first few years the Stig was a different person each episode, later in the years, about season 4 they started using the same Stig for the entire series.

Yeh, it was pretty obvious it wasn't always the same person, as you could clearly see the different heights and build from one to another in different episodes...that's where the full cover up costume works so well, it dosn't have to be the same person, it's all just an image thing ;)

I remember the episode where thay ran an F1 car indoors and it couldn't get to speed because of traction issues, but anyway in that episode, that particular stig had a huge pot belly...I remember wondering at the time if it was Clarkson himself with the white suit on ?? it wouldn't surprise me if he's done so on occaision...

poita
5th August 2008, 09:28 AM
yer good episode that one Ang :)

Top Gear will be back 3rd week of October, so it's not a huge wait :D:D:D:D

And for those stil without all the episodes, they ahve redone the layout now.
Much better!

http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgear/

Vectracious
5th August 2008, 10:29 AM
I remember wondering at the time if it was Clarkson himself with the white suit on ?? it wouldn't surprise me if he's done so on occaision...

Is clarkson that good a driver though??

poita
5th August 2008, 10:46 AM
If the cars where sideways on every corner, then no doubt it would be Clarkeson.
But they're not, I don't think he's that good of a driver honestly

dieselhead
5th August 2008, 11:43 AM
people, when are you going to get it in your head that TG is entertainment before being a stupid car reviews show? Go and watch Test Drive if that's what you're after (never seen a less useful show than that crap!). Clarkson is not a bad driver at all, but that's not the point. He talks about and drives the cars as he feels he should and that's exactly why I love the show. The guys never take themselves too seriously, unlike some of their viewers :) Nevertheless, the show can be objective, too. Ask yourself, what is the Stig there for?

Vectracious
5th August 2008, 11:55 AM
people, when are you going to get it in your head that TG is entertainment before being a stupid car reviews show? Go and watch Test Drive if that's what you're after (never seen a less useful show than that crap!). Clarkson is not a bad driver at all, but that's not the point. He talks about and drives the cars as he feels he should and that's exactly why I love the show. The guys never take themselves too seriously, unlike some of their viewers :) Nevertheless, the show can be objective, too. Ask yourself, what is the Stig there for?

Settle petal - we're just have a discussion on who the Stig might be - I'm sure everyone here does actually realise that Top Gear is tongue in cheek...

dieselhead
5th August 2008, 12:22 PM
No worries Vectracious, I'm cool here.
Why is it so important to know who the Stig is? I'd rather continue to believe "it" is some sort of mythical half tamed beast with superhuman driving abilities, ha ha!

Vectracious
5th August 2008, 12:27 PM
Goes to show that hype does actually work. There's threads on so many forums discussing the identity of the stig - and the TG crew off the show also build it up - have a look on youtube of the clip of a reporter interviewing the Stig - most likely its hammond dressed up, but they're still adding to the intrigue of it.

gman
5th August 2008, 02:00 PM
The Stig used to be a number of different drivers (one was the stunt driver they used to use Terry Grant), but now they have one contracted driver...

Its definately not a member of Top Gear (Clarkson, Hammond, Capt Slow)...

The "rumour" has it he's a European ex-F1 (second tier team) /DTM Works driver...

Who ever he is, he's very good and has the skills/car craft of a professional race driver, not a part timer....

Wraith
6th August 2008, 09:22 AM
Agree with all of Pete's (Vectracious) comments above, that's exactly what's going on here and with the show ;)

Gman's nailed the identity questions...

I'm very surprised to learn (not neccessarily from here) that alot of people didn't realise that the stig wasn't a constant figure :confused: so bloody obvious to so many others :D