PDA

View Full Version : Holden Commodore HSV W427 LS7

Brucey
23rd July 2008, 10:32 PM
Don't know if this has been posted yet but if not here it is....

To celebrate its 20th anniversary, HSV, Holden’s in-house tuning arm, rolled out a concept version of its latest E-series model powered by the Corvette ZO6’s LS7 V8 powerplant at the Melbourne Motor Show in February. Dubbed the ‘HSV W427,’ the four-door muscle sedan is now headed to production, packed with a 7.0L V8 engine providing a very healthy 505hp (375kW) and 472lb-ft (640Nm) of torque.

The production car is only minimally revised from the concept, and will be limited to a run of up to 427 cars, priced at $150,000 Aussie dollars, or about $142,000 USD, before taxes and fees. The car is expected to complete the 0-100km/h sprint in around 4.7 seconds and will feature very similar styling to the aggressive concept car.

The W427 is designed to take on European’s finest, such as the BMW M5, Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG and upcoming Audi RS6, and as such the current range-topping 400hp HSV sedan needed a serious performance boost. Engineers turned to Holden’s parent company GM to procure the new engine, but the mighty mill is hand-assembled specifically for the Australian sedan. It features an advanced dry-sump lubrication system and a unique two-mode exhaust system designed to enhance the V8 burble.

Other unique features include a carbon fibre rear spoiler, six-piston brakes, 20in wheels, a custom induction system and an uprated limited-slip differential, clutch and Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual gearbox.

Of the 427 cars to be built, each of Australia and New Zealand’s 64 HSV dealers will be guaranteed at least one, provided a solid retail order is placed. The rest will be allocated according to 2007 sales figures. The first vehicles to roll off the production line will be available for purchase in August.

http://www.crankshafted.com/upload/files/13/holden-hsv-w427-002.jpg
http://www.crankshafted.com/upload/files/13/holden-hsv-w427-003.jpg
http://www.crankshafted.com/upload/files/13/holden-hsv-w427-004.jpg
http://www.crankshafted.com/upload/files/13/holden-hsv-w427-006.jpg
http://www.crankshafted.com/upload/files/13/holden-hsv-w427-005.jpg
http://www.crankshafted.com/upload/files/13/holden-hsv-w427-001.jpg
http://www.crankshafted.com/upload/files/13/holden-hsv-w427-008.jpg
http://www.crankshafted.com/upload/files/13/holden-hsv-w427-007.jpg

btm
24th July 2008, 08:40 AM
yeah its on here somewhere i believe. here is a test drive video. sounds fantastic!

http://media.drive.com.au/?rid=39832

Wraith
24th July 2008, 08:55 AM
As others have said, yes re-post, but not to worry, you've put up some nicer pics of it :)

Saw it in action with Skaife at the wheel on the late news last night, sounds orgasmic :D to be expected with that beaut 7.0ltr LS7 V8...

Now to just sit and wait for that engine to become mainstream across the HSV range and hopefully a new coupe with it :drool:

btm
24th July 2008, 09:21 AM
cant wait to see the coupe with it... hate to think of the price though!

Wraith
24th July 2008, 09:34 AM
cant wait to see the coupe with it... hate to think of the price though!

True, but 1st we'll have to wait and see if there will actually ever be one...latest I've been told (by certain inside peeps) is that it looks slim, because of the Camaro introduction in 2010, but if the Comaro's a failure GMH will definitely do it - either way, it's a long way away yet :(

The other reason why GMH is holding off, is because it plans to introduce a new 'mid sized' platform with a coupe variant in that range - this is the possibility of a Torana re-birth wooohooo :D only downside is, I've been told to expect it to not have a V8 variant :( but it will definitely get the new upcoming TT V6 :)

btm
24th July 2008, 09:36 AM
any news on the potential power output of the TTV6? it wouldn't be too far behind the V8 would it?

Wraith
24th July 2008, 09:42 AM
any news on the potential power output of the TTV6? it wouldn't be too far behind the V8 would it?

Again from speculation, I expect the 'base' output to be around 280kw/500nm.

The new direct injection GMH 3.6 V6 will produce 230kw in N/A form, so the above numbers are a walk in the park and they are almost identicle to what the Concept TT36 Torana car had :)

btm
24th July 2008, 09:53 AM
almost identicle to what the Concept TT36 Torana car had :)
that thing was a beast and looked fantastic... even in pink!!! :)

CNBLU
24th July 2008, 09:55 AM
pffft.... for 150k i'd take the m3 anyday of the week

Wraith
24th July 2008, 10:26 AM
that thing was a beast and looked fantastic... even in pink!!! :)

Agree, I think I mentioned it on here a long time ago that I actually approached GMH about the 'possibility' of acquiring it - answer was NO not even for any amount of money :(

But my persistance did land me with the opportunity to 'snap up' a set of spare wheels that were custom made one offs for this concept (don't know if you remember those 20" wheels fitted to the car - very nice) prob was, there were only 2 spares, not a full set of 4 :mad: WTF am I supposed to do with only 2 LOL....

Wraith
24th July 2008, 10:28 AM

You can have the M3 Gav. which is way more than 150k :)

As I've mentioned before, for 150k I'd take an R35 GT-R anyday of the week and then look forward to meeting either one of those 2 on the road :D or track :)

poita
24th July 2008, 10:34 AM
and what does all this have to do with the W427?

back on topic guys

btm
24th July 2008, 10:59 AM
there is a little bit too much red in that interior above for my liking

Greg K
24th July 2008, 12:04 PM
i love the car, but would have been more exclusive if they did them all in the Panorama Silver, as the VL walkinshaw was back in 1987-88...

the ugliest thing holden ever produed is the handbrake lever in the VE... when engaged, it looks so tacky! comon holden, its about time they started using electronic handbrakes.

Wraith
24th July 2008, 12:28 PM
i love the car, but would have been more exclusive if they did them all in the Panorama Silver, as the VL walkinshaw was back in 1987-88...

the ugliest thing holden ever produed is the handbrake lever in the VE... when engaged, it looks so tacky! comon holden, its about time they started using electronic handbrakes.

I dissagree...

That 'panoramic' silver on this W427 looks crap IMHO (I've seen it in the flesh) and it looks like a total miss-match for that bright 'bordello' red interior it's got too !

And it's NOT the same colour as on the VL Walk's either !!! it's a lighter shade of blue-ish silver, don't know why they claim it to be the same, when it looks distinctly different, this has been noted by other people too, including owners of the VL in question...

I've seen the W427 now in 3 other colours - the red on these pages, white and fusion orange and it looks far better in either of those colours than the panorama silver IMHO.

In the end, it is all subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

Wraith
24th July 2008, 12:31 PM
and what does all this have to do with the W427?

back on topic guys

Cost comparisons when it comes to these sorts of cars are always an interesting point of discussion Pete IMO...

I see and agree with what your saying though, sometimes we can get right off topic going there, that's when you (mods) need to come in and put the brakes on :)

btm
24th July 2008, 12:33 PM
what other colours is it available in?

cant imagine it'd look good in orange??!!

btm
24th July 2008, 12:35 PM
sometimes we can get right off topic going there, that's when you (mods) need to come in and put the brakes on :)

especially when the word GT-R comes up :p

Wraith
24th July 2008, 12:46 PM
what other colours is it available in?

cant imagine it'd look good in orange??!!

I believe you can order it in any of the current available HSV colours...

The fusion orange colour is not orange as such - it's the same colour that was featured on the last CV8Z Monaros and VZ onwards HSV's - it's just a little lighter/more golden than tiger mica :)

Wraith
24th July 2008, 12:47 PM
especially when the word GT-R comes up :p

LOL guilty as charged :)

btm
24th July 2008, 12:48 PM
The fusion orange colour is not orange as such - it's the same colour that was featured on the last CV8Z Monaros and VZ onwards HSV's - it's just a little lighter/more golden than tiger mica :)

ah right. when i hear orange i think XR5 orange :D

personally never really been a fan of the holden orangey colour on any of their range

Greg K
24th July 2008, 12:58 PM
I dissagree...

That 'panoramic' silver on this W427 looks crap IMHO (I've seen it in the flesh) and it looks like a total miss-match for that bright 'bordello' red interior it's got too !

And it's NOT the same colour as on the VL Walk's either !!! it's a lighter shade of blue-ish silver, don't know why they claim it to be the same, when it looks distinctly different, this has been noted by other people too, including owners of the VL in question...

I've seen the W427 now in 3 other colours - the red on these pages, white and fusion orange and it looks far better in either of those colours than the panorama silver IMHO.

In the end, it is all subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

i can understand your point of view, but personally, if i was going to spend $150k on a special run HSV, id want it to look the part. for those not in the know, its just another HSV. hence my suggestion of making them a "one off" colour, (just like the VL walkinshaw was exclusively Panorama silver).

i didnt see the silver W427 comapred to the VL Walkinshaw, so i cannot comment on the difference nor can i comment on the red interior with the silver (makes me sick just thinking about it)... maybe its just me wanting to keep this traditional colour exclusive.

Wraith
24th July 2008, 01:17 PM
ah right. when i hear orange i think XR5 orange :D

personally never really been a fan of the holden orangey colour on any of their range

Looks good on the CV8Z's :)

Wraith
24th July 2008, 01:23 PM
i can understand your point of view, but personally, if i was going to spend $150k on a special run HSV, id want it to look the part. for those not in the know, its just another HSV. hence my suggestion of making them a "one off" colour, (just like the VL walkinshaw was exclusively Panorama silver).

i didnt see the silver W427 comapred to the VL Walkinshaw, so i cannot comment on the difference nor can i comment on the red interior with the silver (makes me sick just thinking about it)... maybe its just me wanting to keep this traditional colour exclusive.

That's fair enough Greg and I too can totally relate to the exclusivity aspect, that point ranks very high on my list and I'm sure on most car enthusiasts lists too :)

However it would be a crying shame if it was released in a one-of colour that you didn't like...speaking of which I did hear many such comments about it when it was on display at the Melb. motor show earlier this year, maybe HSV took this into cosideration and decided to offer more of a colour range ??

xplosv57
24th July 2008, 08:10 PM

Funny you mention that, the concept W427 was actually sprayed that same Panorama silver and most people disliked it as mentioned earlier, i'm also glad it's available in different colours!!!

If you're gonna bring up exclusive cars only being one colour, look at the most expensive aussie muscle car going round, the XY Falcon Phase III GTHO, that was available from memory in 16 different colours, some of those colours only being used once making them more exclusive!!!

Personally i love the red car, looks much more aggressive, friend saw a white one at HSV yesterday and says that looks fantastic too!!!

aza28
24th July 2008, 09:14 PM

But if u must have an LS7, but not the price tag of the HSV W427, just buy an ordinary HSV - like a maloo R8 or the GTS and chuck in a LS7 crate motor for $30K, along with brakes and suspension upgrades and save yourself $40-$50K!!

u will be the only one on the east coast of Australia with an LS7 maloo R8. :p

Red AH SRI T
25th July 2008, 08:23 AM
I believe you can order it in any of the current available HSV colours...

Fusion was discontinued over a year ago. And it won't be offered in the W427, so i don't think u could have seen one in that colour, maybe some trick photography/lighting.

Oh and in regards to Panorama Silver, HSV always said it was a different colour to what was on the VL, the colour was simply meant to pay tribute. They also mentioned it was not going into production with that colour.

I love the look of the red and the white looks nice and clean.

lithium
25th July 2008, 11:41 AM
But if u must have an LS7, but not the price tag of the HSV W427, just buy an ordinary HSV - like a maloo R8 or the GTS and chuck in a LS7 crate motor for $30K, along with brakes and suspension upgrades and save yourself $40-$50K!!

u will be the only one on the east coast of Australia with an LS7 maloo R8. :p

thats true, but if i was going to go modified car for $30k i'd rather drop that LS7 into an Astra shell with a RWD conversion :cool:

i think what you get for your extra $40k-$50k is ADR compliance, good resale value and a collectable item

btw i just took a look at the W427 section of the HSV website with their stupid moon animation or whatever its supposed to be. i had no idea the LS7 was dry sumped?

Wraith
26th July 2008, 03:27 PM
Fusion was discontinued over a year ago. And it won't be offered in the W427, so i don't think u could have seen one in that colour, maybe some trick photography/lighting.

Oh and in regards to Panorama Silver, HSV always said it was a different colour to what was on the VL, the colour was simply meant to pay tribute. They also mentioned it was not going into production with that colour.

I love the look of the red and the white looks nice and clean.

Thanks for the heads up - fusion being discontinued is news to me ??

Earlier this year at the Melb. motor show on the HSV stand were a fusion VE R8 and or GTS, that's only 4 or 5 months ago ?? existing production still floating around maybe ??

Wish I could remember where I saw the W427 in that colour, will post it up if I do...

MatsHolden
26th July 2008, 06:25 PM
"The car to be known in its final development stages as the W427 is finished in the same Panorama Silver paint scheme as the original Group A SS VL Commodore, released at the Melbourne Motor Show of 1988, exactly 20 years ago."
Source: Holden Special Vehicles

Appears they state it was the same colour...

Wraith
28th July 2008, 01:36 PM
"The car to be known in its final development stages as the W427 is finished in the same Panorama Silver paint scheme as the original Group A SS VL Commodore, released at the Melbourne Motor Show of 1988, exactly 20 years ago."
Source: Holden Special Vehicles

Appears they state it was the same colour...

Yep, that's true Mat, I've seen/heard this as well - BUT the thing is, it isn't the same LOL.

The colour on the VL is a much blue-er tone than that on the W427 which is more washed out with less blue-ish to it :)

Would be good if we could get a pic with these 2 next to each other, to try and really tell the difference - if in fact there is one :)

MatsHolden
28th July 2008, 04:44 PM
Yep, that's true Mat, I've seen/heard this as well - BUT the thing is, it isn't the same LOL.

The colour on the VL is a much blue-er tone than that on the W427 which is more washed out with less blue-ish to it :)

Would be good if we could get a pic with these 2 next to each other, to try and really tell the difference - if in fact there is one :)

Yeah, someone just said HSV never stated it was the same, but they did. lol