http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2961147.aspx

$44,990

Doesn't mention yet if we will get the Remus exhaust

Is it overpriced for what it is... probably

Am i glad it's coming... you betcha :dance:

Apex
23rd July 2008, 02:05 PM
Nice.

I don’t suppose It will have Xenon lights of any other cool features??

Given I had $45k to spend id buy an SRI-T and turn it into this, a real Nurburgring fighter.

http://www.modelspot.co.za/images/stories/astraopcrace1.jpg

imay
23rd July 2008, 03:06 PM
. . . . and get in quick . . . only 20 coming to Australia!

from GoAuto media weekly newsletter:
Production in Europe has been limited to 835 – because the car recorded a lap
time at the German track of eight minutes and 35 seconds – and only 20 examples are coming to Australia, the first of which landed this week and is available now.

Dowie
24th July 2008, 12:14 AM

That is the ugliest spoiler ive ever seen.

dieselhead
24th July 2008, 12:18 AM
Yeah, it looks like a shopping trolley handle :)

If HSV would do a 150 kW Diesel version of the thing (like the 888 CDTi) I'd buy one. Even at that price.

Wraith
24th July 2008, 08:50 AM
. . . . and get in quick . . . only 20 coming to Australia!

from GoAuto media weekly newsletter:
Production in Europe has been limited to 835 – because the car recorded a lap
time at the German track of eight minutes and 35 seconds – and only 20 examples are coming to Australia, the first of which landed this week and is available now.

Hopefully everyone already knows this :)

I mentioned it months ago in the VXR section...

Yes, they're arriving soon, there was never any doubt on this one, just the price tag - and now we know it, what a rip IMHO...ie: it'll end up costing the better part of 50k on road or hurtling towards 60k if you go for a finance plan :rolleyes:

I even got a call on the weekend from my ex HSV dealer asking me if I would like one, I think they've got me confused with someone else, Bornwild was with me there a couple of months ago when I went info hunting, maybe they're looking for him :D

dannysport18
24th July 2008, 11:02 AM
they are over priced in the uk 21k GBP most people are getting them at 18k GBP

SSS_Hoon
24th July 2008, 11:22 AM
See i would pay 18k for one but not 45k(yeah i know the 18k aint AUD)

I thought they were meant to have LSD too is this info wrong?

Only 20 into the country i think they will be snapped up fairly quick smart if not already gone.

SSS_Hoon

btm
24th July 2008, 12:02 PM
surely this spoiler has little effect on downforce?

wouldnt the wind be rolling down the back of the car and straight under and past the wing?

imay
24th July 2008, 12:42 PM
just the price tag - and now we know it, what a rip IMHO...ie: it'll end up costing the better part of 50k

Yeah, better off saving twice that much and get myself a BMW 135i!!!

Actually, considering there will only be 20 in Australia, the price is not THAT bad. But you would have to take into consideration that it is only an Astra, and really not what the general motoring public would call an exclusive vehicle other than the small numbers available. Look how much the "normal" HSV VXR's have depreciated already. Possibly a collector's car, but I doubt it.

Still like it in all white, but not a fan of the checkered stripe or the white wheels though, but the rest would be nice to have as a "take it out every now and then" car.

Wraith
24th July 2008, 12:52 PM
See i would pay 18k for one but not 45k(yeah i know the 18k aint AUD)

I thought they were meant to have LSD too is this info wrong?

Only 20 into the country i think they will be snapped up fairly quick smart if not already gone.

SSS_Hoon

No LSD and never any mention of it from what I've heard/been told...

You would think that with only 20 they would be snapped up, if not already pre-ordered - but they're not !!! as I've stated above, my ex HSV has been allocated 2 and until last weekend, niether was spoken for !

Lets see what happens :)

SSS_Hoon
24th July 2008, 12:56 PM
would be nice to have as a "take it out every now and then" car.

I've never got that idea, like what is the point then.

Cars are meant to be driven so just bloody drive it already LoL.

Like ppl that dont want to drive the car too much and put too many kays on it, even though they plan on keeping it for a few years or at least until the warranty runs out, just never got the point of it really.

Wraith oh ok i thought that there was some mention of a power increase a zorst(rear section) and a LSD. Opps my bad i guess.

SSS_Hoon

GreyRex
24th July 2008, 01:05 PM
Lets see what happens :)

Will be very interesting

One will have to be a press car, so i'd say that sort of means there'd be 19. Who'd want to buy that one?

They could at least give us the (now standard), darker 19's of the standard VXR. To me they look so hot against the white. I don't reckon we'll get the Remus either. What the hell are you paying for??? lol

Wraith
24th July 2008, 01:06 PM
Yeah, better off saving twice that much and get myself a BMW 135i!!!

Actually, considering there will only be 20 in Australia, the price is not THAT bad. But you would have to take into consideration that it is only an Astra, and really not what the general motoring public would call an exclusive vehicle other than the small numbers available. Look how much the "normal" HSV VXR's have depreciated already. Possibly a collector's car, but I doubt it.

Still like it in all white, but not a fan of the checkered stripe or the white wheels though, but the rest would be nice to have as a "take it out every now and then" car.

In the context of things Ian, I'd say that the 135i is worth twice a VXR's price tag IMHO...

Although a 135i can be had on road for 81k not 100k ;)

If painting a 'normal' VXR white and sticking different wheels on it, decals and Nurburg ring stitching, makes it that different to become an exclusive variant to justify charging more for it - well that's something people would have to decide for themselves...for me it's no more than a gimmick, although the white duco does look good on this car :)

However the fact there will be only 20 is something I too find very appealing, ie: exclusivity, but it really only comes down to having a different colour as the only difference in it :rolleyes:

All I can say is, if they were highly sought after and really special, ALL of those 20 (as this is such a tiny quantity) would've already been pre-ordered or pre-sold, such is not the case ;)

imay
24th July 2008, 01:13 PM
I've never got that idea, like what is the point then.

Cars are meant to be driven so just bloody drive it already LoL.

Agree with you . . . but I still love my convertible and I haven't heard any plans of a convertible Nurburgring (Holden can't even get off their arse and bring in a turbo or diesel convertible H!!). . . so it would be nice to have a "second" car with a lid to take out when the weather is crappy!
Plus I've always like the idea of being able to afford a "take it out on a special occassion" car. Even looking at the possibility of procuring a rebuilt MGB at the moment (but that would mean 2 convertibles and I don't think She will agree on that idea!).

imay
24th July 2008, 01:17 PM
Although a 135i can be had on road for 81k not 100k ;)

Not the one I'd be looking at!

You only have to add a couple of very desirable factory options to have the price nudging 90+. And at that sort of price, the BM loses a lot of it's appeal to me. Still love 'em, but they are way over-priced IMO.

SSS_Hoon
24th July 2008, 01:28 PM
All I can say is, if they were highly sought after and really special, ALL of those 20 (as this is such a tiny quantity) would've already been pre-ordered or pre-sold, such is not the case ;)

totally agree with you on that one.

Like i know for a fact that if VW were to bring 20 of the Edition 30 Golf GTI here they would all be gone before they left the factory to get on the boat to come out here, as that is a proper special edition. As its not just a special colour and some crap looking stickers on it.

All that being said i still like the White VXR its the best of the colour range that is for sure with the Arden Blue a close 2nd, still not enough for me to actually hand over the cash to buy one though.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
24th July 2008, 01:36 PM
Not the one I'd be looking at!

You only have to add a couple of very desirable factory options to have the price nudging 90+. And at that sort of price, the BM loses a lot of it's appeal to me. Still love 'em, but they are way over-priced IMO.

Agree with you Ian, if you were chasing the full sport tii package which will bring you to well over 100k - then yes, absolute rip and waste of money...

However comparatively speaking with quite a few options selected and leaving the body styling as is (which is nicer than the sport package IMHO) and getting to about 90k on road, for me it still remains an attractive package :)

As said, comparatively speaking, you have a car that's quicker than a new M3 (ie: auto and in a straight line) not that far behind in track performance, not too far behind in kit for half the price :)

Other comparos, it's superior to a new Sti or Evo 10 overall and makes the better everyday ride compared to them as well, it does cost more, only slightly more than the Evo 10 MR, but will hold it's value for a longer period...

The above has been enough to raise my eyebrow and take notice of this car, as are more and more people all over the Globe - and therefore well worth considering in that price bracket ;)

I suppose it's fair to say, Steve was right all along about this car :)

Oh and yes, yes, I know, lets get back on topic LOL :)

SIMid
24th July 2008, 04:54 PM
The insurance was what turned me off than anything. It would cost me an additional $900 a year for a regular VXR to what I am paying for now.

Who knows how much extra a Nurb would be.

Might cruise past Holden on Sat and take a sneek peak if there is one.

Shaun
24th July 2008, 07:21 PM
If the Nurburgring VXR is fitted with the Remus System as i was told by a my dealership then its worth the extra 2k. As the system landed is close to that anyway to fit to a Standard VXR. my dealership has sold there one about 2 months ago and will call me when it arrive. they asked me if i wanted one. I said no at the time but if i could afford a 2nd one i would consider it as its rather exclusive of the 835 built world wide that Australia has managed to score 20 units. That shows a level of commitment from HSV to small cars and from Opel/ Vauxhall that they believe they can move the units here.
I wouldnt be supprised that HSV have some imput into the next Gen VXR Astra . Its romoured that OPC will be using MRC in OPC products . And the next VXR Astra will be the 1st to be put into production . So dont be supprised that HSV could be involved and have more say in the product as they have exprience with MRC already .

As for numbers in Australia. there are over 230 units here and sales have exceed by 20% of what HSV forcasted to sell from the start of the program.
So dispite what all you VXR bashers here who have said about it being a flop and over priced its been quite a sucess for HSV in terms of Numbers and diversing the business. Exactly what the business plan was set out to be.

HSV product range will continue to open new markets for them. They no longer are a company focused on just Australia and just V8's. They now export to the NZ ,UK, UAE and the USA very soon (Pontiac G8 Prefromance model to be built @ HSV)

Shaun

Charlatan
24th July 2008, 10:22 PM
If there has only been 230 units sold in what - 18 months? that is a fair indication of the desirability. To me this indicates that these 20 will never be more than a sticker special and will never be 'collectable'. I'd expect it to depreciate as quickly as any used car. Unloved when new rarely means loved when used.

That money would buy you a Renault R26, by all reports a more capable car than the VXR - though then you are subject to the dreaded Renault service centres. The white looks good on the Astra though

OPC
24th July 2008, 10:30 PM
white looks good,

price looks crap,

piano black gets scratched even if you breath on it,

d.c.
25th July 2008, 12:31 AM
That money would buy you a Renault R26, by all reports a more capable car than the VXR - though then you are subject to the dreaded Renault service centres. The white looks good on the Astra though

100% correct. Even though the white with white wheels looks great, I think you would have to be crazy to buy a stickered up VXR over an R26.
If you are going to put out a special edition and call it "Nurburgring" it should be more track focused, ie. LSD, bigger brakes, no back seats like an RS 911. This is just a crap marketing ploy.

Charlatan
25th July 2008, 09:26 AM
100% correct. Even though the white with white wheels looks great, I think you would have to be crazy to buy a stickered up VXR over an R26.
If you are going to put out a special edition and call it "Nurburgring" it should be more track focused, ie. LSD, bigger brakes, no back seats like an RS 911. This is just a crap marketing ploy.

Like this!
http://cars.uk.msn.com/britishmotorshow2008/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8924342

Apex
25th July 2008, 10:26 AM
A recent road test actually proved the R26 more capable and fun to drive cross country than the new Impreza STI.

I’d take the Renault over this Astra, to me it’s too little too late for the Astra, it’s simply out dated and dumb for the money.

d.c.
25th July 2008, 11:39 AM
Like this!
http://cars.uk.msn.com/britishmotorshow2008/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8924342

Yeah just like that! That would be worth paying extra for.

rusole21
25th July 2008, 03:02 PM
So dispite what all you VXR bashers here who have said about it being a flop and over priced its been quite a sucess for HSV in terms of Numbers and diversing the business. Exactly what the business plan was set out to be.

Shaun
haha VXR bashers. Man you are such a fan-boy! Congrats on your purchase mate. Im sure your stoked. Just that others have seen that there are cars better than the vxr. :dance:

glider
25th July 2008, 06:38 PM
i know this is kinda off topic but

was on the way home and heard this radio ad, you can get a 08 wrx for 39990 drive away

http://www.subaru.com.au/quicklinks/current-offers/wrx-driveaway/

So VXR, Nurburgring or WRX with money to spare?

sorry but the wrx wins for me

Shaun
25th July 2008, 07:18 PM
haha VXR bashers. Man you are such a fan-boy! Congrats on your purchase mate. Im sure your stoked. Just that others have seen that there are cars better than the vxr. :dance:

What i was getting at clown is in terms of a CORPRATE aspect they VXR has been quite a sucess. And those here who have put it down due to pricing against a the SRi T have been proven wrong because Numbers in terms of sales and percentages of selling of a larger volume then forcasted has been proven.

Im no fan boy. fan Boys tend not to purchase the thing they want i on the other hand purchased one sometime ago.

I would sell my VXR tomorrow to purchase a Volvo S60R (2004/2005 model) if i so wanted too.

Shaun
25th July 2008, 07:21 PM
i know this is kinda off topic but

was on the way home and heard this radio ad, you can get a 08 wrx for 39990 drive away

http://www.subaru.com.au/quicklinks/current-offers/wrx-driveaway/

So VXR, Nurburgring or WRX with money to spare?

sorry but the wrx wins for me

It all comes down to what you want i guess..... Do you want something Thats different from following the crowd Lets face it everyone has a WRX or Forester... (Denotes the STi Version)

OPC
25th July 2008, 09:50 PM
shaun you gotta stop getting upset with any little thing said about the VXR

YOU NEED TO GET LAID AND RELEIVE SOME ANGER

ASTRAY
26th July 2008, 12:46 AM
in my opinion the wrxs have become very ugly. their old rounded shape looked much much better.
as for the vxr, i never imagined myself owning an ah let alone spending big money on a vxr, but considering how rare they are going to be, ill be visiting my local holden (who id doubt will get 1 of the 20) and ask where the nearest one will be located, ill go for a look and if i like what i see i may be tempted.
i am yet to see the specs though.
no way to the renault
bmw, hmm i like the look of the older ones, 90s shape i think.

d.c.
26th July 2008, 01:35 AM
It all comes down to what you want i guess..... Do you want something Thats different from following the crowd Lets face it everyone has a WRX or Forester... (Denotes the STi Version)

Sometimes there is a good reason as to why they are popular.
They are fast and a good value for money performance car thats why people buy them.

no way to the renault
Why not? Often regarded as one of the best fwd cars ever made.

Shaun
26th July 2008, 08:22 PM
in my opinion the wrxs have become very ugly. their old rounded shape looked much much better.
as for the vxr, i never imagined myself owning an ah let alone spending big money on a vxr, but considering how rare they are going to be, ill be visiting my local holden (who id doubt will get 1 of the 20) and ask where the nearest one will be located, ill go for a look and if i like what i see i may be tempted.
i am yet to see the specs though.
no way to the renault
bmw, hmm i like the look of the older ones, 90s shape i think.

The VXR Nurburgring will be in the top 20 HSV Dealerships i believe. But insaying that if they arent sold by them i cant see why they cant be moved to another dealership. Is your Holden Dealer a HSV Dealership as well?

My suggestion would be to get in quick and find out if there is stock thats not sold. I know my dealership has already sold there one. But will let me know when it comes in as i want to have alook at it.

ASTRAY
26th July 2008, 08:24 PM
it all just comes down to personal taste, i dont like the look of renaults.
when i went looking for my car i visited every car yard in town and went looking for a car that looked good. i even visited ford (something very out of the norm for me) and i chose the astra for its looks. i didnt want to be driving around in something that i didnt like the looks of.
the mazda6 is a very sexy car but was out of my price range as it was the first time id ever applied for finance and i was trying to keep in around the 20k mark. the mazda 3 looks ok but too bulky in the rear end, looks out of proportion.

Shaun
26th July 2008, 08:25 PM
Sometimes there is a good reason as to why they are popular.
They are fast and a good value for money performance car thats why people buy them.

Why not? Often regarded as one of the best fwd cars ever made.

I dont dispute that. But everyone else has cought up and in some case past them in terms of Power. (XR5T VXR Mazda MPS Exceed its ). Its a well known fact that the Golf GTi was used as the bench mark for the new WRX in terms of interior lay out and other aspects. All test were carried out with a GTi Present so Subaru could pick up its game . But in saying that Subaru have a great package in there Liberty. I wisht they would do the same to there WRX as it would lift there finish somewhat.

ASTRAY
26th July 2008, 08:49 PM
The VXR Nurburgring will be in the top 20 HSV Dealerships i believe. But insaying that if they arent sold by them i cant see why they cant be moved to another dealership. Is your Holden Dealer a HSV Dealership as well?

My suggestion would be to get in quick and find out if there is stock thats not sold. I know my dealership has already sold there one. But will let me know when it comes in as i want to have alook at it.

nah not hsv. not a big enough town for that.
though our dealership does have one of the hsv ve there...

Shaun
26th July 2008, 09:51 PM
nah not hsv. not a big enough town for that.
though our dealership does have one of the hsv ve there...

being a small town HSV may alow them to do " orders on demand " . Good luck though.

imay
28th July 2008, 06:50 PM
Anyone had a chance to check one of these Nurburgring VXRs out yet? Adelaide HSV dealers still waiting for their shipment/s. Metro Holden expecting their's late this week or early next.

Shaun
28th July 2008, 07:16 PM
Anyone had a chance to check one of these Nurburgring VXRs out yet? Adelaide HSV dealers still waiting for their shipment/s. Metro Holden expecting their's late this week or early next.

They are due into dealerships this week .

Wraith
29th July 2008, 08:38 AM

For anyone interested in one of these in Melb. Braebrook Holden, HSV dealership department (Ballarat rd. Braebrook) will have one (or 2 as they told me a little while back) there by this weekend...

' If ' I get the chance, I'll pop by and take some pics and get any info I can...

Vectracious
29th July 2008, 09:44 AM
Its a well known fact that the Golf GTi was used as the bench mark for the new WRX in terms of interior lay out and other aspects. All test were carried out with a GTi Present so Subaru could pick up its game .

Hmmm, must be why everyone prefers the old Impreza's then... ;) :p

SSS_Hoon
29th July 2008, 10:06 AM
there is a few adds on carsales for casablanca white VXR's are they the Ring editions?

there is no pics as of yet.

one is 44.8k drive away and the others just have 42.990 the same price as the normal VXR's, does this mean that u can get white VXR's as well as the ring edition?

SSS_Hoon

Greg K
29th July 2008, 10:45 AM
id assume that these casablanca white vxr's are the ring edition.

Shaun
29th July 2008, 06:30 PM
there is a few adds on carsales for casablanca white VXR's are they the Ring editions?

there is no pics as of yet.

one is 44.8k drive away and the others just have 42.990 the same price as the normal VXR's, does this mean that u can get white VXR's as well as the ring edition?

SSS_Hoon

Link?
It would be the VXR Nurburgring edition. They are the only white version of the VXR Astra . Priciung listed is incorrect though as they sit $2000 more then a standard VXR. No remus system fitted. But still worth the money i feel Very exclusive and something different. if mine was an 06 model i would trade it in.

poita
29th July 2008, 06:40 PM
one here (http://www.carsales.com.au/new-cars-in-stock/HSV/VXR/details.aspx?Cr=0&State=All%20States&R=6064569&state_id=0&__No=20&__Ns=pCar_ImageCount_Int32|1||pCar_PriceDAP_Decima l|0||pCar_PriceRRP_Decimal|0||pCar_StatusSort_Int3 2|1&__N=4294965530%200%20834%20284%201216%204294897099 %20&distance=25&RegionID=&trecs=24&__Nne=20&seot=0&silo=1002&__sid=11A5554D29B8&Model=VXR&Region=All%20Regions&Make=HSV)

one here (http://www.carsales.com.au/new-cars-in-stock/HSV/VXR/details.aspx?Cr=1&State=All%20States&R=6066157&state_id=0&__No=20&__Ns=pCar_ImageCount_Int32|1||pCar_PriceDAP_Decima l|0||pCar_PriceRRP_Decimal|0||pCar_StatusSort_Int3 2|1&__N=4294965530%200%20834%20284%201216%204294897099 %20&distance=25&RegionID=&trecs=24&__Nne=20&seot=0&silo=1002&__sid=11A5554D29B8&Model=VXR&Region=All%20Regions&Make=HSV)

one here (http://www.carsales.com.au/new-cars-in-stock/HSV/VXR/details.aspx?Cr=3&State=All%20States&R=6052840&state_id=0&__No=20&__Ns=pCar_ImageCount_Int32|1||pCar_PriceDAP_Decima l|0||pCar_PriceRRP_Decimal|0||pCar_StatusSort_Int3 2|1&__N=4294965530%200%20834%20284%201216%204294897099 %20&distance=25&RegionID=&trecs=24&__Nne=20&seot=0&silo=1002&__sid=11A5554D29B8&Model=VXR&Region=All%20Regions&Make=HSV)

all say they have 19's, i'm probably wrong but i thought they only came with 18's?

Shaun
29th July 2008, 07:35 PM
No pics. Those stats are set out by car cales . they are a form setup.

poita
29th July 2008, 08:34 PM
Ah ok, cool :)

imay
29th July 2008, 10:31 PM
I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I thought the SRiTurbo could be "specially" ordered in white when it was first released, but the VXR was only available in silver, red, blue and black. Saw these (unphotoed) white VXRs advertised and wondered if it was just to get customers into the yard. Don't know . . .

Still like the idea of a "limited edition" run car that is based on the ever-popular Astra. Just don't know if it's worth the $45k they are asking (with absolutely no room for negotiation) . . . and I still don't like the checkered stripe!
But I now have 3 Adelaide HSV dealers that have assured me they will call me as soon as their quota of a single Nurburgring arrives. Considering Adelaide only has 3 HSV dealers, that means that there will only be 3 registered in SA. I like it, it just keeps getting more exclusive!

Wraith
30th July 2008, 09:23 AM
I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I thought the SRiTurbo could be "specially" ordered in white when it was first released, but the VXR was only available in silver, red, blue and black. Saw these (unphotoed) white VXRs advertised and wondered if it was just to get customers into the yard. Don't know . . .

Still like the idea of a "limited edition" run car that is based on the ever-popular Astra. Just don't know if it's worth the $45k they are asking (with absolutely no room for negotiation) . . . and I still don't like the checkered stripe!
But I now have 3 Adelaide HSV dealers that have assured me they will call me as soon as their quota of a single Nurburgring arrives. Considering Adelaide only has 3 HSV dealers, that means that there will only be 3 registered in SA. I like it, it just keeps getting more exclusive!

From my experience with dealerships, you may be on the right track Ian !

I too believe those adds are purely to generate interest and pull you in - once there they'll try work their 'sales' magic to try and sell the things LOL...

As mentioned, there will be only 20 of these brought into Aust. and as far as I know, NONE have been spoken for before landing, so I'd be very confident in saying they're a bit worried about moving them, maybe that's the reason behind some of those adds ??

Hell, I went in there just for a gander months ago and they havn't stopped calling me since, even though I told them, "I'm NOT interested, just having a bloody look" !!!! because I'd purchased my previous HSV R8 from there, they had all my details, in hind sight I should've just gone to another HSV dealer who dosn't have my personal details - maybe I should keep away this weekend, instead of going info hunting again ??

If I do go by this weekend and find out more, I'll post it up...

As for exact state numbers split/share - who knows what it really is ?? HSV Braebrook reckons they'll have 2 and that's just one Melb. dealer...

I reckon that a good number of these 20 white VXR's will be purchased by current VXR owners trading over...

Also just out of curiosity Ian, have you looked at 'other' cars which can be had for the same coin as one of these white VXR's ?? ie: 50k if you buy the thing outright or alot more if with finance...

If your after an occaisional 'tin top' to get around in some of the time, there are many choices out there - there's even one that's a Coupe/Convertible, (not the AH twin top and I think that would be far more attractive to vert lovers like you and me) that's a stunning little machine...however don't think it'll be as 'exclusive' if that's what your really after, as it's predecessor is the Worlds best ever selling coupe :)

imay
30th July 2008, 11:01 AM
Curiosity factor ONLY Ange!
I love playing the dealers against each other to see just what they've got and how low they will go when trying to push a particular model.

Women go "looking shopping" for fashion, etc.; I go "looking shopping" for cars. No different - not interested in buying, just looking to see what is available, what is fashionable, grab a test drive if they offer and I have the time (it's great picking the wife up for a coffee during her lunch break in something that doesn't belong in our garage!), and to see what sort of deals they are really prepared to do.
Sure you get the annoying phone calls, but a simple "I'm only looking at the moment" usually makes them leave me alone for a few months (until they need to top-up their monthly sales quota).

I'd probably not seriously consider a VXR 'burg . . . the $1500+ insurance even for me is even enough to make me look elsewhere.

ASTRAY
30th July 2008, 05:39 PM
I love playing the dealers against each other to see just what they've got and how low they will go when trying to push a particular model.

Women go "looking shopping" for fashion, etc.; I go "looking shopping" for cars. No different - not interested in buying, just looking to see what is available, what is fashionable, grab a test drive if they offer and I have the time (it's great picking the wife up for a coffee during her lunch break in something that doesn't belong in our garage!), and to see what sort of deals they are really prepared to do.
Sure you get the annoying phone calls, but a simple "I'm only looking at the moment" usually makes them leave me alone for a few months (until they need to top-up their monthly sales quota).

I'd probably not seriously consider a VXR 'burg . . . the $1500+ insurance even for me is even enough to make me look elsewhere.

haha, i was paying almost $1300 ins just for my ts classic new.
ins down to about 1k now.
just curious, are they really going to be letting people test drive these things? i mean really if theres only 20 in australia, who really wants to pay 45k for a demo? also what if someone crashes it? means only 19 in aust.
i know if i was to buy one, and had just test drove dealer "a"'s car, and it had been test driven before, id be demanding to know if dealer b or c had one which hadnt been test driven.
to me a test drive car isnt a "new" car.
when i bought my ts i didnt even test drive a ts, i didnt test drive anything, i just chose to have a ts (ah had only just came out)
in hindsight it was silly buying a car without even test driving one, but im mega happy with the car i chose.

EL BURITO
30th July 2008, 05:58 PM
there prob more likely to bring out the norm VXR seeing as there is not really any difference

Wraith
31st July 2008, 09:11 AM

Can relate to the above - I do exactly the same, ie: window shop and test drive lots of new cars and have being doing that for decades :)

Recently had a go at the 135i, both Coupe and Vert...oh yeah, now that's a machine that left an impression :drool:

At least with the BMW dealers I've managed to gain an understanding, don't call me, I'll call you LOL and it's all fine by them :)

So whilst your 'window shopping' try and go over to a Pug dealer and check out the new 207CC, bonus if they have one there in 'Parthenon white' with tan leather interior, including leather clad dash, arrrggghhh :drool: for around the same price as the 'nerd' VXR, it comes fully loaded with options and kit, folding hard top roof and a beaut 1.6ltr petrol turbo BMW engine ;)

Getting back to the VXR, latest news I have is that it's due in dealerships here in Melb. on the 8th of August - all those interested can go check it out soon...

Charlatan
9th August 2008, 10:03 AM
http://liveimages.carsales.com.au/dealer/carsales/11613437.jpg
http://liveimages.carsales.com.au/dealer/carsales/11613431.jpg

Few on carsales now. The white and the wheels looks great. That interior though, Astras have never had a great interior, but that this is mismatched all over. Black centre, cloth seats, fake cf, and lashing of grey ....

Interestingly they have them priced the same as the normal VXRs.

OPC
9th August 2008, 12:18 PM
http://liveimages.carsales.com.au/dealer/carsales/11613437.jpg
http://liveimages.carsales.com.au/dealer/carsales/11613431.jpg

Few on carsales now. The white and the wheels looks great. That interior though, Astras have never had a great interior, but that this is mismatched all over. Black centre, cloth seats, fake cf, and lashing of grey ....

Interestingly they have them priced the same as the normal VXRs.

oh yeah the interior is missmatched somewhat... bloody hell why no leather ?

might go down and offer them 40k driveaway

Wraith
9th August 2008, 03:08 PM
Check out the thread I've put up guys....

The interior is actually not too bad IMO and it's not cloth Charlatan :)

Pricing does appear to be the same...

I believe the reason for this is because there has been very little if any interest, no pre-orders and no deposits on any of them !!!

The dealership I dealt with for the other thread still has 2 VXR's sitting there from the 2nd batch, they are the only 2 they got and they're still not sold from earlier this year...

They told me they can sell only 6 VXR's per year :eek: so demand is definitely tiny...

Good thing for exclusivity though :)

OPC
9th August 2008, 05:13 PM
No Remus, No Care... Lol

daiflu
9th August 2008, 06:28 PM
Total Vauxhall Magazine had a review in last months issue. Some differences they state other than the obvious are:
18 inch alloys fitted with bespoke Dunlop tyres, with offset reduced 2mm to widen the track. The rims are also 2kg lighter each.
They note that the engine remains standard, and power is listed as such, but there are definate perks from a new Remus exhaust system, with Vauxhall claiming 15bhp from the Remus.
Also interesting, they list the colour as Clacier white, not Cassablanca white, so even if you can order the SRiT in white, it's likely to be a different colour.

Charlatan
9th August 2008, 07:00 PM
it's not cloth Charlatan :)

yep, my bad

KingOfAstras
9th August 2008, 07:08 PM
Based on the pictures. The piano black console just doesn't do it for me... looks so out of place.

Wraith
10th August 2008, 07:50 PM
Based on the pictures. The piano black console just doesn't do it for me... looks so out of place.

Sometimes pics don't give a real or proper idea/perspective - it does look better in real life, as do the poker dots, which look well not so good in those pics I put up in the other thread :)

There were 3 of us there and we compared the interior trimming of the white VXR to the other 2 standard VXR's there back to back and all agreed the piano black and carbon look trims looked heaps better and classier too :)

KingOfAstras
10th August 2008, 08:24 PM
Sometimes pics don't give a real or proper idea/perspective - it does look better in real life, as do the poker dots, which look well not so good in those pics I put up in the other thread :)

There were 3 of us there and we compared the interior trimming of the white VXR to the other 2 standard VXR's there back to back and all agreed the piano black and carbon look trims looked heaps better and classier too :)
Yeah, that I can understand. I suppose if I ever get to see it in person, I'll change my mind :P