PDA

View Full Version : ebay bargains = more engine upgrades

ant0ny
23rd July 2008, 06:30 AM
Hey all,

been spending up my money of late and got a few more "go fast" bits for the Opel.

I got a set of 272deg cams which seem to be mild cam 2000 to 7000rpm and also a set of adjustable cam wheels.

I also got a Lexmaul Ram Induction System . This is suposed to give you 10+ Kws to a stock motor and keep the torque (with adjustable ECU).

On paper I should be looking at about 20Hp increase so yeah pushing the 170ish at the wheels... so I have been told... we will see.

I'll keep you informed how it goes... this will mean there will be ceramiced inlet manifort with a 4mm oversized throttle body and Powercap up for sale for anyone with a C20XE... for a standard setup you would just need a performace chip like you see on ebay to get the best from it.

SSS_Hoon
23rd July 2008, 06:42 AM
I got a set of 272deg cams which seem to be mild cam 2000 to 7000rpm and also a set of adjustable cam wheels.

That is the cams i run in my SSS 272deg and also run adj cam gears.

Although completly different engines and what not i think you'll find them decent on your N/A setup with a decent tune and cam timing done.

On mine the cam timing needs to be done and it still needs a tune and as it sits now really picks up from about 3800rpm right through to redline.

Hoping to get that down a bit around 1000rpm lower would be nice, but with the overlap on them kinda makes it hard need dyno time to play with the timing some more.

Cannot tell you what sorta power gains i got from it as i did a whole bunch of other stuff at the same time like a full forged rebuild and what not.

I would expect on a N/A setup around the 20hp mark gain yeah. The idle will sound awesome had mine lumpy before it now sorta sounds stockish with a bit of a rumble at idle.

Interested in seeing the results.

SSS_Hoon

ant0ny
23rd July 2008, 06:49 AM
SSS_Hoon,

Yeah have to wait till it's on the dyno... you get told so much info on the forums sometimes it's hard to know till you dyno it.

Also having the LINK G3 ecu makes a hell of a difference as well... you running any sort of programable ECU?

SSS_Hoon
23rd July 2008, 07:03 AM
The dyno makes things so much more easier to tune cams with aswell, as you gotta take everything off adj the cams then put it all back on, and just driving it not relaly a decent enough to see if its working or not.

Where a dyno can show u where its picked up and where its not.

As for ECU no not yet just the standard Jap import ECU at the moment, but soon am going to get a Daughterboard for it, which is basically a fully live tunable ECU that fits inside the stock ECU so it looks standard and is legal as aftermarket ECU out here are not allowed for street use(think they can be engineered not entirely sure though).

So once that is in its off to the dyno and hoping to pick up some more power and be able to get the car to where i want it which is low to mid range power as my car is a daily and hardly ever sees over 6000rpm.

I do think that the cams are entirely suited to my application though, i might go back to the cams from my old engine, unsure what they were but they seemed ok.

SSS_Hoon

ant0ny
23rd July 2008, 07:17 AM
SSS_Hoon,

the daughterboard will make a difference... if you are after a tuner and can get to Kempsey NSW (Mid North Coast) I can recomend someone and they are Nissan experts as well.

What engine is in your beast?

Im a bit of a Nissan man myself... first rally car was a dato 1600 was such a great car won heaps of events and championships with it.

I had a Parthfinder with all the engine and trany removed and fitted up with SR20DET and the 4spd Auto running water injection and Link Ecu was putting out 270hp at the weels till I blu the box then detuned it to 200ish.

I sold that last year and bought a Stagea 4WD Turbo I love it...but heavy on juice as the RB's are but a great car.

SSS_Hoon
23rd July 2008, 07:52 AM
i will be getting the NISTUNE live tune board put in, most likly from PLMS themselves i think, although i in Syd will most likly post my ecu to them for them to install and put a tune on it with what i tell them, then put it in and go to a local NISTUNE tuner and just get them to check the tune is ok and safe and what not.

Its a SR of course full rebuilt running around the 10.2:1 CR all forged internals ARP bolts everywhere, 272 cams with adj cam gears, mildly ported head head cc'd valves back cut, balanced and linished bottom end. Was going to put oil squirters in there from the turbo models but was told not too as there is no rela need for it.

5 button clutch with modified pivot point and about 1100kg clamping force hehe and its still a cable clutch so can get hard at times. Already broke the pedal box and pulled it from the firewall so that was welded back and braced up, got the selector fork on the box welded up as they tend to snap there too.

Next i think will be a box rebuild with a LSD put in there and some brake n suspension upgrades also i think.

Before the rebuild was about the 93fwkw mark so hoping for a fair bit more then that once all said and done.

SSS_Hoon

ant0ny
23rd July 2008, 08:41 AM
Wow sounds like a great car... yeah love the SR20 its a great motor.

My dream car would be a 2door 1600SSS with a SR20DET neo but that will be just in my deams.

I almost owned the Pulsar SSS Bathurst 12 hour race car which looked about same model as yours was the N14 with SR20 and Attesa all wheel drive... just didn't have the cash at the time... I had a MR2 at the time but I couldn't sell it quick enough.

SSS_Hoon
23rd July 2008, 08:52 AM
Yeah i love the Datto 1600/510 also.

The wife would love a datta ute only thing is she wants a damm chook cooker as the engine instead of the SR.

A SR20VET would be great seen a few of the SR16VE's and they go ok. The race series that my dads work raced in for awhile IPRA there is a guy in there Peter Street(i think his name is) and he runs a N14 Q with a VE in it and runs awesome numbers and times.

I think the bathurst one was a GTiR RNN14 2 door with Turbo 4wd, neat little cars.

Yeah its a ok car i guess so old though now its a 93 model and got over 240000k on the clock now hehe so getting a bit long in the tooth, but once the odd bits are all fixed should be a neat little daily.

Tring toconvince the missus to let me start modding her 05 MKV GTI but she wont let me hehe, and looks like its going soon anyway so no real point i guess.

SSS_Hoon

poita
23rd July 2008, 09:07 AM
Antony good to hear there is more mods on the little beast :)

Before you put em up on ebay chuck em up on here and also on www.clubcalibra.org.
im sure someone from either sites will buy em.

ant0ny
23rd July 2008, 09:10 AM
yeah prob a 2 door... sighhhh! it came with so many spares... dirt and tarmac suspension, 20 rims, spare motor and box... bugger.

Anyway I still fly the Nissan flag with the Stagea!

Good to remember the old ones anyway... put a smile on my dial on what is a cold and dreary day.

SSS_Hoon
23rd July 2008, 09:43 AM
yeah prob a 2 door... sighhhh! it came with so many spares... dirt and tarmac suspension, 20 rims, spare motor and box... bugger.

Anyway I still fly the Nissan flag with the Stagea!

Good to remember the old ones anyway... put a smile on my dial on what is a cold and dreary day.

glad to be of service hehehe:D

SSS_Hoon