PDA

View Full Version : Car serviced, feels better than ever!!!

noobie
23rd July 2008, 02:42 AM
Ok, so I took my Astra H Sri T in for its 15,000km service.

Couldn't pick it up the same day, so i left it there a couple of days.

Picked it up this afternoon, and WOW, it feels and sounds like a "new" car.

What I mean is this:

Engine is not raspy like it was.
Idles dead smooth and silent.
I swear it pulls smoother and easier to the redline.
3rd gear acceleration when on boost is just flawless.
So it is one of two things, either the Mobil Super S 10w-40 oil they used in it agrees with her

OR

It's all in my head because I have been driving my girls 1.6 Fiesta around for two days.

I am actually thinking the oil change (I dont change oil between services) has made a huge difference.

Is that possible? Fresh oil making an overall difference to the feel of the car acceleration etc?!?!?

kz_11
23rd July 2008, 05:55 AM
technically, the car should run better after a service............but only for frist few days maybe...haaa...once you get used to it...nth too special at all..:rolleyes:

DirtyHarry
23rd July 2008, 09:47 AM
ask them if they did a ecu update?

lithium
23rd July 2008, 10:21 AM
sounds like they might have wacked in some new spark plugs

JohnBu
23rd July 2008, 01:56 PM
perhaps its a combo of the oil change and placebo! haha

I also now use the Mobil Super S 10w-40 in my car, which is different from the oil prior the service (running in oil from the factory).

wouldn't suprise me as most cars perform their best after 10,000km.

but quite sure it wouldn't be a ECU update (as the engine is quite an old design) nor new spark plugs as it wouldn't be changed until the 30k service.

Vectracious
23rd July 2008, 02:00 PM
It's all in my head because I have been driving my girls 1.6 Fiesta around for two days.

My car always runs awesome after I've driven the Honda around for a weekend..... :p :D

It's also a lot friggin louder too!!

GreyRex
23rd July 2008, 02:18 PM
wouldn't suprise me as most cars perform their best after 10,000km.

Can vouch for that :D

imay
23rd July 2008, 03:12 PM
Have always found, no matter what car I have had at the time, it always ran smoother and felt like a totally different car after a good old change of oil.
Now, having finally learnt my lesson, I endeavour to have the oil and filter changed in both our Astras every 6 months regardless of km. Fill up with premium every other refill and this also helps keep them running sweet.

noobie
23rd July 2008, 06:36 PM
^ On that note, for me that would equate to about every 7,500kms.

Do you do this yourself, or just get a local mechanic to change the filter and oil as dictated (type of oil) by yourself.

I noticed in my car (I check the oil uite regularly) that it did go from a nice golden colour to pretty black after about 8,000km's.

Also, i do tend to drive my car quite hard(I dont abuse the clutch on take-offs,) and have a habit of running quite high in the rev range before changing up gears.

Basically my question is this.

B/C the car is a turbo, I am not sure if the process for changing the oil and filter is any more complicated than a standard N/A car. Is there anything special that needs to be done to make sure the oil bleeds out of the turbo and conversley fills the turbo when running?

Cheers

GreyRex
23rd July 2008, 07:14 PM
Also, i do tend to drive my car quite hard(I dont abuse the clutch on take-offs,) and have a habit of running quite high in the rev range before changing up gears.

Cheers

I thought turbos were all about mid-range, and not having to rev them :p

There's not much much power up there anyway... they run out of puff

Anyway i've gotta get my 15,000 service done too

noobie
23rd July 2008, 08:09 PM
I thought turbos were all about mid-range, and not having to rev them :p

There's not much much power up there anyway... they run out of puff

Anyway i've gotta get my 15,000 service done too

Old habits die hard, it makes me feel, erm, better to stretch it out :D

Probably why my fuel consuption is so horrifically bad :eek:

imay
23rd July 2008, 08:33 PM
Do you do this yourself, or just get a local mechanic to change the filter and oil

Mechanic I've been going to since Jesus was a lad does it . . . I gave away that game years ago. I don't work all day to go home and get dirty again and take skin off my knuckles.
But he's giving it away now and handing over the shop to his son . . . the only problem I have with that is I don't know the son well enough to trust him with much more than oil and filter! And I don't use any fancy liquid gold type oil either. It's only in there for 6 months! Just get the mechanic to use his top shelf stuff out of the drum and I've never had a problem with it.

Found another guy to do any "involved" mechanical repairs, but he's on the other side of town. Not had to use him much yet, so that's not so bad.

Anyway . . . keep the oil and filter clean and your engine will appreciate it.

JohnBu
24th July 2008, 10:29 AM
^ On that note, for me that would equate to about every 7,500kms.

Do you do this yourself, or just get a local mechanic to change the filter and oil as dictated (type of oil) by yourself.

I noticed in my car (I check the oil uite regularly) that it did go from a nice golden colour to pretty black after about 8,000km's.

Basically my question is this.

B/C the car is a turbo, I am not sure if the process for changing the oil and filter is any more complicated than a standard N/A car. Is there anything special that needs to be done to make sure the oil bleeds out of the turbo and conversley fills the turbo when running?

Cheers

oil is suppose to be black after a few thousand KMs... its suppose to turn black as it collect contaminates.

I change the oil in my turbo between services (7,500km). cost me about 1.5 hrs and $40 all up. Mobil S $30 and GM filter $10.

its like any other car, drain oil, replace filter and refill. compared to other cars it takes alittle more time as I remove the drivers front wheel for access to the oil filter (poor design).

$40 is cheap insurance if you want to keep the car for 5 years or more.

my engine (same as yours) has now done 116km and running as smooth as new and doesn't use a drop of oil. never had to top up.

vectraguy01
24th July 2008, 01:08 PM
I wouldnt trust any Mobil oil at all, have seen reports done on 40 different oils, Mobil oil came out the worst. They did tests using 2 pieces of metal rubbing together to show how good the oil is. The tests they did on Mobil oil ended up warping the metal and burning it. Have also need a head off a Honda S2000 using mobil oil, it was completely farked.

My mechanic has the report, am going to see if I can grab a copy and do up a pdf document to send it around.

Best oil the had was a brand called Royal Purple from AutoBarn, about 80-100 for a bottle.

JohnBu
24th July 2008, 01:58 PM
Mobil

Good enough for Porsche, good enough for me.

I remember that report, would take the results with a grain a salt, 2 pieces of metal rubbing on a bench does not equal what happens in an engine.

having said that Royal Purple is a good oil.

For every bad report about Mobil, I'm sure I can give you 10x reports of good results.

If you use the right grade of oil, any Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, Shell etc oil will provide good protection.

of course, if you use the wrong grade oil its not going to help, or your engine was already farked, no oil can fix it.

got a link to the S2000 so I can make up my own mind.

vectraguy01
24th July 2008, 07:43 PM
I saw the s2000 with my own eyes, sorry dont have a link for that.

The rubbin of the metal was done in a lab under controled conditions, I dont use Mobil and never will.

trinijy
24th July 2008, 10:08 PM
I change the oil in my turbo between services (7,500km). cost me about 1.5 hrs and $40 all up. Mobil S $30 and GM filter $10.

Where did you get the filter for $10? My dealer sells them for $20 each.

JohnBu
25th July 2008, 10:03 AM
I saw the s2000 with my own eyes, sorry dont have a link for that.

The rubbin of the metal was done in a lab under controled conditions, I dont use Mobil and never will.

was that test done by Street Machine Mag? if so, did you read the follow up.

how old was the S2000? did it run in Vtec mode 70% of the time?

if Mobil oil was without a doubt the 100% reason why the engine was damaged, then why didn't the owner sue Mobil?

I know I would.

anyway, we'll agree to disagree, but I would say Mobil would be the #1 of the mainstream oils.

not sure what other ppl are paying, but my sister paid about $10 from Booran Holden during a service.

I get mine at mates rates, so I pay under $6 for my GM oil filters made in the UK. I buy 5 at a time, that was about 2 years ago... prices prob have gone up to maybe ummm under $7 :P