PDA

View Full Version : Urgent, 2.2L oil?

NUTTTR
20th July 2004, 12:45 AM
Gotta buy some tomorrow having my first "big" service (15,000k's, at the 16,000k mark, lol) and have to get oil for the job, holden said they'd take $35 off the price of the service if i brought my own oil, i reckon for 30-40 i can get GOOD oil, most likely better than what they have!
That said, they reckon it needs 10W30....... however i wanted Motul, but no one stock motul in that!!! What oil should i go for? I'm not using mobil 1 as i've heard it's too thin and can cause problems........

Anyone?

Anonymous
20th July 2004, 05:21 PM
http://www.castrol.com.au/lube_guide

Try that.
I have Castrol Formula R Synthetic 5W-30 in my 2.2, No Problems.

Or
http://www.pennzoil.com.au/?method=lubematch.lubematch

Aus-SRi
20th July 2004, 05:34 PM
im pretty sure Autobarn sell the Motul one, i recall someone buying it from there

blackastra
21st July 2004, 11:34 PM
Motul is up there with the best of the best

I doubt youd benefit enough to justify its price

mobil 1 is great and comes at an affordable price

mixmelb
22nd July 2004, 12:31 AM
I've got Mobil 1 from Holden for my Vectra 2.2L, been service twice (15K and 30K) and always change with Mobil 1, have no problem so far.

Anonymous
22nd July 2004, 09:46 AM
I was a long term mobil 1 5w-50 user, both the old and new packaging, until recently I changed to motul, which I found was smoother and more consistent between oil changes compare with the new mobil 1. Also cheaper too :)

NUTTTR
22nd July 2004, 11:43 PM
Well, i went to the dealer today and was "suprised" (in a bad way) to find they use GTX II castrol oil!!! $25 for it too!!! Not TOOOO bad a price, but cheap shit oil, they put a sticker on my car saying next oil change in 7,500k's and next service in 15,000....... Has anyone heard a reason for the oil change interval change????
I'm going to do it myself, that's for sure (first service was $241.... for an oil change! no wonder service centre's make SO much money!!)
:)

NUTTTR
22nd July 2004, 11:45 PM
http://www.castrol.com.au/lube_guide

Try that.
I have Castrol Formula R Synthetic 5W-30 in my 2.2, No Problems.

Or
http://www.pennzoil.com.au/?method=lubematch.lubematch

I actually went to k-mart looking for the pennzoil full synthetic, as i used semi-synth previously and was an excellent oil...... but they had all these huge yellow "bargin bin" oil in it's place! :(

Anonymous
23rd July 2004, 05:30 PM
To get a Full Range of Oils, Goto AutoBarn or Trusty Auto Parts Retailer.
K-Mart only sell Bargain-Discount Oils, I'd be suprised if they don't drop MOBIL 1 from the shelves soon.
But better going to a more mainstream Retailer.

I'm VERY Strict on oil changes, I'm my old Cars I'd change every month without fail. And I was using Mobil 1 or Castrol GP50(25w-50). Yeah the oil was still good, But it was stil usable for the Dunger/Runaround :lol:

NUTTTR
23rd July 2004, 05:41 PM
lol
I don't even know if we have an autobarn up here? NFI! We used to.......
We have repco, etc, tho, will have a lookin......

Anonymous
23rd July 2004, 05:50 PM
Repco will have a Decent Range or Bursons.
Bloody Sydney, They'll catch up with the Mexico 1 day :wink:

NUTTTR
23rd July 2004, 06:25 PM
Bursons???
lol.....

Anonymous
23rd July 2004, 06:41 PM
Bursons is Like Repco or Motorgear :lol:
NSW Has Motorgear.

NUTTTR
23rd July 2004, 07:52 PM
ah i see...... mexico is wierd

Anonymous
24th July 2004, 06:45 PM
Yeah, We 1337 Down Mexico Way :roll:

So Did ya get Oil Yet?
And if so, What ya Buy?

NUTTTR
24th July 2004, 11:01 PM
nothing yet, going to wait a while, it just had a change, so it will run fine on the new oil for a few months, not sure yet, might go pennzoil full synth :)

dan_kind
27th July 2004, 07:08 PM
....forget the standard holden oil deal... rock up with your own full synthetic (motul is great, mobil 1 will do) and have them give you back the bottle with what is left (you dont want to go mixing oils at the service station etc)

....there is no way in hell i would let a motor (with any type of oil) go for longer than 10,000ks without an oil change, i change mine at the half interval (7500) and now the motor (Z18XE) has done 84,000 and is clean as when the cover comes off.....

nutttr, doing a left hander onto monavale road at pymble around 9:30 this mornin? looked good! (if it was you)

NUTTTR
27th July 2004, 07:20 PM
Yup!!!
That was me :)
I was taking off quick, it was too wet, no grip...... then when it got grip it hit the redline, so it prolly looked rather funny!!!! lol :)
Thanks for the comments........ i think it looked funny pulling out tho!
Aaron