PDA

View Full Version : Avatar File Help

Hardware BoB
22nd December 2003, 10:02 AM
The uploaded avatars are restricted, but I'm currently allowing remote avatars - which can be of arbitrary size.. I think we need a policy on this, I'll put something in the rules, and I can replace avatars of too large a size.

Anonymous
22nd December 2003, 04:26 PM
How come we can only have 6kb Avatars. Most Boards allows 80x80 pixel and 40kb.
I tried up loading all different ones and none work, they just come up as a Red X :x

Anonymous
22nd December 2003, 04:31 PM
How come we can only have 6kb Avatars. Most Boards allows 80x80 pixel and 40kb.
I tried up loading all different ones and none work, they just come up as a Red X :xYeah, I thought 6kb is a bit small as well...but you can overcome this problem if you have your avatar stored online. You can link the URL of your avatar to this site and I don't think the size restrictions apply as the avatar isn't stored on this server. I'm sure my avatar is over 6kb and it's workin fine ;)

Dregger
22nd December 2003, 08:18 PM
Yes i am concerned about this aswell....i think some are too big.....i rekon the max size we shoudl allow is
150x 115 even for avatars stores on personal space.

maybe a note in the rulse area......and a friendly reminder to ppl to have anything of oversize

Hardware BoB
23rd December 2003, 07:27 AM
I changed it to 80k upload

SmellyTofu
23rd December 2003, 05:20 PM
Can we also leave the remote link avstar to be low as well. 56k users still exist and so does download limits... and work safe so no one here gets a sexual harassment case coz of offensive pictures.

I'd say no more than 100x100 coz any larger just takes away the focus on the message.

chicko
14th January 2004, 03:42 PM
How do you put a picture in your avatar or signature? every time i tried to do it in my avatar (Which changing the size to what it had to be) it just comes up with a red cross.

Also, how did u add a picture to your signiture?

Rhino
14th January 2004, 06:28 PM
How do you put a picture in your avatar or signature? every time i tried to do it in my avatar (Which changing the size to what it had to be) it just comes up with a red cross.

Also, how did u add a picture to your signiture?

SARAH: A lot of servers if not all are unix based and are case sensitive. Make sure when you specify your filename (if it is hosted remotely), it is exactly as it appears on the server...

If you are uploading it from your own computer, make sure it has all lowercase... filename.ext not Filename.EXT

Hope that helps
/Ryan

chicko
15th January 2004, 11:02 AM
Thanks Ryan,

I did all that but it still comes up with just the red cross!

SmellyTofu
8th March 2004, 06:13 PM
This issue is back up again. Can we limit the size of the avatar?

em
8th March 2004, 08:11 PM
why smelly?

em
8th March 2004, 08:17 PM
ok i understand.....

some peoples avatar takes up 1/4 of the screen.....

hmmmmm, maybe time to get rid of the fat dancing chick.....although it is pretty funny :D

SmellyTofu
9th March 2004, 04:50 AM
No em, it's like each view of a post is >500kb... think of the 56k'ers just waiting for everything to download.

tmov81
9th March 2004, 07:59 AM
i dont think the file size is as much of an issue as the picture size...

i think em's is as wide as they should go, because some of them, the person makes one post and then the name/avatar section of the screen will be half the screen when it should only be about 1/4 of the screen width...

and then you have to scroll right and left to read the message and then to see who wrote it

SmellyTofu
9th March 2004, 10:54 AM
It is when u clock up 700kb per page of text, it'll be a problem for 56k'ers that I sometimes use when I am not home... Picture size I dun have a prob with coz I run 1280x960 screen size.

Dregger
9th March 2004, 06:07 PM
Sorry smelly, but we will allow people to have their pics here.

we WILL NOT start dictating to people about having images less than a certain filesize. WE WILL remove avatars from people who a just WAYYY too big. i think Ems is fine, probably not wider than that.

If your looking at your download limit and see that its being close to being reached, then i'd suggest upgrading ur account or going broadband.

We dont just change the rules of the forum to satisfy 1 person. If we had majory behind your opion, then thats a different matter.

And the same goes for content of avatars. IF YOUR offended by 1 persons avatar (which i and other believe what has been on here is perfectly fine) then i'd suggest u turn of images.

We will however take action to any explicit avatars/images that appear on this site.

Let moderators and administrators do their role.

Anonymous
9th March 2004, 06:54 PM
I think he wasn't talking about himself, but the 56k visitors.

Being up until recently, a 56ker ( who was only d/l at 28.8k thanks telstra :evil: )
I can understand what smelly is trying to say..... think about the non cable visitors here... there are couple of huge avatars (file sizes not physical measurements) i think they were about 300+kb each....

think about it, opening a post and getting everybodys avatar loaded plus the text can easily be a 1mb click.

it's not the download limits or anything, its just the time taken to d/l a thread.... it can be very frustrating....

me personally, i dont care, im on adsl :D ... but i'm more just thinking about the vistors, and those poor poor people on 56k :cry:

As for the explicit images..... Bring em on!!! :twisted: (altho i dont think the peoples at work will agree :oops: )

i'm not trying to tell you how to run the forum or anything like that.... but maybe review some of the file sizes of moving avatars (maybe even mine :oops: )

OT: who ever had the avatar with the chiq in the whit pants Can we have that one back? :twisted:

Anonymous
10th March 2004, 02:48 PM
dont you like the motorbike action better :lol:

Anonymous
10th March 2004, 03:01 PM
I can see your point with the whole 56K thing.

When i had dialup, i hated people that had huge avatars.
The 80kb is fair for all. It wasn't letting me put GIF's larger than 80k, so i had to reduce the size of them till they fit.

I also think there should be a physical size limit of no more than 120x120. Anything bigger than this is a little big.

Anonymous
10th March 2004, 03:06 PM
Motorbike is boring now..... bring back the chicky babe http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_61.gif

or atleast post a link to where we can find the rest of the video :twisted:

tmov81
10th March 2004, 03:25 PM
im a 56k'er and its not an issue for me...

if you have issues with download limit then you can go into your browser options and disable pictures, and then if you want to view a picture you just right click and select show picture...

but at 1024x768 its a bit annoying if people are running pics like 400 pixels wide

Anonymous
11th March 2004, 06:46 PM
rub a dub dub..... whats being rubbed? :lol: :twisted:

Anonymous
17th March 2004, 10:47 AM
mine is coming up with a red cross too, the same as chiko.

anyone b able to help??? :(

Dee
25th March 2004, 04:03 PM
somebody got an idea how to get my avatar working... the file is a .jpg and is 78kb... and less than 80 x 80 pixels....

why wont it work?

Anonymous
25th March 2004, 04:49 PM
somebody got an idea how to get my avatar working... the file is a .jpg and is 78kb... and less than 80 x 80 pixels....

why wont it work?

I found if ya try uploading it from your own computer regdless of size, It will RED X on ya.
Upload the pic to another site or something then link the Site to here, Problem Solved :D

Dregger
25th March 2004, 05:10 PM
done

Dee
25th March 2004, 05:22 PM
or maybe it doesnt like me... i used a file from my ftp as well

http://members.optusnet.com.au/c0mmy/donna/clown.gif

that doesnt even work :(

Anonymous
25th March 2004, 05:37 PM
Ya have too put the Link in this box on Your Profile Screen:
Link to off-site Avatar:
Enter the URL of the location containing the Avatar image you wish to link to.

Thats all I know :(

Dregger
25th March 2004, 05:47 PM
what r u all doing????

i fixed it and now its broken again!!

crazy!

let me change it for ya!!

InsaneAsylum
26th January 2005, 07:36 PM
new avatar!

InsaneAsylum
29th March 2005, 08:15 PM