PDA

View Full Version : Poor Enzo

Wraith
14th July 2008, 11:22 AM
Yep another written off Ferrari Enzo :( (don't know how long this has been around though)

Seems like getting broken in half is the norm when people wipe off these things...damn sad thing to see...

http://i34.tinypic.com/34dkhzc.jpg

Greg K
14th July 2008, 11:35 AM
fark.... nasty!

Apex
14th July 2008, 11:46 AM
Jeepers, always laugh at the amount of crew that turn up to exotic crashes, I bet there wouldn’t be as many if it was a Camry.

lithium
14th July 2008, 11:52 AM
i doubt you'd be able to get a camry to snap clean in half like that!
wonder what happened to the driver, looks like it broke right in the back of the passenger compartment :(

Wraith
15th July 2008, 08:35 AM
i doubt you'd be able to get a camry to snap clean in half like that!
wonder what happened to the driver, looks like it broke right in the back of the passenger compartment :(

That's an interesting point that I've alluded to as well...ie: the couple of Enzo right offs I've seen so far have both snapped in half !!!

I wonder if that's a design feature or fault ??

There was no report on the condition of the driver in the email that pic came with, so who knows ??

With all the foam splashed around the entire car pieces and surrounding area, maybe it caught fire ?? driver a krispy kabab in the process ??

Orion_996
15th July 2008, 12:48 PM
I've read that the breaking in half is an inbuilt feature, because the engine is right behind the driver, in high speed crashes the engine bit breaks off so the driver doesn't catch fire, just in case that a fire starts. You can see in the photo that the firewall behind the driver is still there.

Ice
15th July 2008, 01:56 PM
I've read that the breaking in half is an inbuilt feature, because the engine is right behind the driver, in high speed crashes the engine bit breaks off so the driver doesn't catch fire, just in case that a fire starts. You can see in the photo that the firewall behind the driver is still there.

GET OUT ! thats Brilliant.... guess its similar to what they do with formula one cars. Well I hope that he or she is ok !

gman
15th July 2008, 06:15 PM

Exactly...Its a safety feature design to:

a: separate the passenger compartment from the engine and fuel system from a fire safety point of view; and

b: help absorb the crash energy similar to the way an F1 or Indy car disintegrates during an impact. So much for impact absorbing bumpers....

Separating the heavy engine/gearbox from the passenger compartment also reduces weight (and therefore) the inertia and energy of the passenger compartment in a crash reducing the amount of energy needed to stop or slow it down.

Less energy that can crush the safety cell or be transferred to the passengers or dopey driver who will have a million + reasons (in US dollars at current market rates) to be thinking what just happened and is my father going to kill me!! ;)

SKM_87
15th July 2008, 11:33 PM
stoyr ive herd is its some russian bussiness man, and he survived

lithium
16th July 2008, 11:02 AM
the snap in half feature is a brilliant idea!

i wonder how sensitive it is...imagine getting a ding in a car park and having half your car fall off :p

all this fuss over an Enzo...stone age technology soon to be supplanted by the likes of the R35! ;)

tim_
20th July 2008, 07:36 PM
yeh you'd be a bit pissed if someone backed into you haha

Wraith
21st July 2008, 09:01 AM
the snap in half feature is a brilliant idea!

i wonder how sensitive it is...imagine getting a ding in a car park and having half your car fall off :p

all this fuss over an Enzo...stone age technology soon to be supplanted by the likes of the R35! ;)

Interesting point...

The new Ferrari California re-birth features a rear mounted 'trans-axle' type automated manual transmission...which is exactly how the R35 GT-R is set up !

Looks like Ferrari have beaten Porsche in introducing some of the outstanding mechanical features of the new Godzilla :)

gman
21st July 2008, 02:30 PM
Ferrari, Alfa, Aston etc have used the rear trans axle previously and then for some reason it fell out of favour...

Now its back. My old '78 Alfetta 2.0 had a rear transaxle (better front rear weight distribution), inboard rear disc brakes (lower unsprung weight = better suspension response), one piece flywheel / clutch pack (supposed to make it easier to change...questionable) and it was one of the most fun/best handling cars I've ever owned..

Mind you it did tend to catch fire from the twin 48 Webers blowing fuel into the intake, the electrical system was crap and it had the most complex window mechanism on earth that kept breaking...But hey, it had character and was a cool little car... ;)