PDA

View Full Version : Corsa VXR fails to add up for Aus

GreyRex
11th July 2008, 09:02 AM
Taken from Herald Sun 11/08/2008:

Australia probably won't see a hot European Corsa in the HSV line-up any time soon

The Corsa VXR has been assessed as a potential starter below the the turbocharged Astra VXR, which is doing solid but uninspiring numbers for HSV, but has been dismissed as too expensive for HSV.

It will be too costly to import and prepare for Australian duty, even though HSV boss Tom Walkinshaw likes the car and sees the need to broaden the base for the hot Holden company.

"The problem you have with with Corsa is that to produce cars in Europe is expensive, so the core car ends up expensive before you start working on it," Walkinshaw says.

"It's a nice little car, but whether you could actually work on it, then get it into that price envelope to get it into the market is still eluding us. We'll look at other base products in the GM envelope (OH NO) and decide if there are any we could work on that would be applicable to this market."

The Corsa VXR has a turbocharged 1.6 Litre four-cylinder engine that develops 143kW and 260Nm, good enough to reach 100km/h in 6.8 seconds with a top of more than 220km/h. In Europe it competes against the Peugeot 207 GT and Renault Clio Sport.

HSV is looking to push the Astra with a limited edition model from Britain, called the Nurburgring, and will take its 2.0 litre turbo engine for use in a new Elfin sports car.

But it cannot make a business case for the smaller Corsa.

"The Corsa is a terrific sporty hot hatch, but because Holden does not have that product range, the after-sales support or parts supply, the business case is not as attractive. We'd have to do it ourselves," HSV managing director Scott Grant says.

Despite the Corsa failure, Walkinshaw says HSV is committed to expanding its range beyond V8 Commodores.

We'll broaden the offering over the next few years to cover more of the market,: he says.

"It's not powerplant driven. It's about getting younger people into our products."

He draws a parellel between how HSV works with GM Holden and the operation of AMG and Mercedes-Benz.

"We make the high-end performance prestige model in that brand and that's what we will continue to do," he says.

However, changing market forces also mean HSV will canvas other four-cylinder models in the future and Grant says the Astra VXR experience has been good for the company.

"Eighty-one percent of VXR customers have never bought a HSV car before and half of them are females," he says.

But Grant says there are still three requirements for a vehicle to join the HSV line-up.

"It has to be complimentary to Holden, it has to fit our brand DNA and, economically, it has to make sense.

So i think we can safely say if Holden had've continued with the new Corsa we would probably be seeing the Corsa VXR from HSV, and it looks like the Nurburgring Astra is not too far off...

Tfer
11th July 2008, 09:06 AM
Unfortunately, not a surpirsing decision :(

Calibrated
11th July 2008, 09:20 AM
pisses me off.... just bring the damn corsa holden! it will sell!!! much better than the viva crap! then HSV can bring this! stingy bastards.

EL BURITO
11th July 2008, 09:30 AM
Meh... O'well new 150kw XR4 looks like it may be the go.

well least its now confirmed and the speculation can stop.

What are u going to turn into a sports car thou now after ever thing is coming from Korea HSV Viva ?

Calibrated
11th July 2008, 09:35 AM
Meh... O'well new 150kw XR4 looks like it may be the go.

well least its now confirmed and the speculation can stop.

What are u going to turn into a sports car thou now after ever thing is coming from Korea HSV Viva ?
oh dear god. the though of that makes me want to puke.

JR
11th July 2008, 12:18 PM
Taken from Herald Sun 11/08/2008:

"Eighty-one percent of VXR customers have never bought a HSV car before and half of them are females," he says.

that's interesting.

yes, hsv r missing out by not bringing in the corsa vxr! actually wait...WE r missing out!!

Wraith
11th July 2008, 12:53 PM
Unfortunately, not a surpirsing decision :(

+ 1

This was predicted by a few us on past related threads - so no surprise...

Wraith
11th July 2008, 01:02 PM
that's interesting.

yes, hsv r missing out by not bringing in the corsa vxr! actually wait...WE r missing out!!

Again, not surprising at all, at least not for me anyway...

Most if not ALL hi-po 4 banger fans are not into V8's !!!

I'm probably part of only a hanful who like both types (but still prefer a good V8 anyday)...

Therefore most VXR owners would never have owned a HSV before, because except for some types along the way, HSV's are V8's, no brainer there !!!

And as I've said before on other threads, within HSV themselves, they too havn't really 'embraced' this 4 potter in their line up, they still largely see it as an oddball and it's only there because of the bigger GMH picture on range spread and profit stradgedy planning !

As for half been owned by females, I've spotted 3 being driven by a women, so maybe that's a fact, since I've only ever spotted about twice that all up...

Nothing wrong with that though :)

USC
11th July 2008, 03:48 PM
" ..."The Corsa is a terrific sporty hot hatch, but because Holden does not have that product range, the after-sales support or parts supply, the business case is not as attractive. We'd have to do it ourselves," HSV managing director Scott Grant says...."

yep, I did say a while ago that it wont happen partly because Holden does not bring the corsa here..hence no parts supply from Holden to help.

Wraith
11th July 2008, 03:55 PM
" ..."The Corsa is a terrific sporty hot hatch, but because Holden does not have that product range, the after-sales support or parts supply, the business case is not as attractive. We'd have to do it ourselves," HSV managing director Scott Grant says...."

yep, I did say a while ago that it wont happen partly because Holden does not bring the corsa here..hence no parts supply from Holden to help.

You've got to remember and keep in mind that no matter how much HSV try and distance themselves from GMH with all their marketing and verbal hype, at the end of the day they are in fact and always will be just an extension or division arm of GMH and GMH pull all the strings and make all the major decisions...bottom line will be the numbers arrived at by the 'bean counters' - if it will return profits, they'll do it, if not they won't !

glider
11th July 2008, 04:56 PM
"It has to be complimentary to Holden, it has to fit our brand DNA and, economically, it has to make sense.

that essentially sums up what will happen

the corsa is no longer a Holden product, it does not compliment the korean barina, doesnt use any of the same parts... etc

Shaun
11th July 2008, 07:05 PM
Its a no brainer really. HSV isnt large enough to suport a stand alone model with aftersales suport an parts supply chain. Yes it can be housed with in Holdens Parts logistic centre but its not viable.

The Nurburgring version is old news. known about that for months.

Yes sad the corsa isnt coming. But i see HSV point as the business case wouldnt have been strong enough for HSV to import the Corsa.

Happy to see that the VXR isnt such a " flop " as everyone here makes out. Its a " neche " market for them. The figures speak for them selves i believe. With 81% of VXR buyers 1st time to the brand i think they have had a scuess with the model and the program and have achieved what they set out to achieve in there busniess plan.

Shaun

aussie_in_london
14th July 2008, 09:23 PM
shame it aint making its way over, its a great small hot hatch, shows up a stock astra VXR on a tight twisty circuit and we find it much better for getting about in the city than out astra VXR. I still enjoy getting behind the wheel of ours a year on.

kabel
14th July 2008, 10:03 PM
But we do have the Tigra ? ! @ ? #$%

Vectracious
14th July 2008, 11:53 PM

where??? not listed on the Holden website as a new car.

kabel
14th July 2008, 11:56 PM
where??? not listed on the Holden website as a new car.
Maybe I should have written DID have !
Sorry

lampshade
15th July 2008, 12:13 AM
Its narrow minded of holden to not bring this car here . (ps i aint got a pc that works so aint been around, doing this post on my phone)

OPC
15th July 2008, 01:55 PM
(ps i aint got a pc that works so aint been around, doing this post on my phone)

BLOODY YUPPIE ;)

Shaun
15th July 2008, 06:52 PM

Yes Very True. We did have the Tigra. Most of the Tigras running gear is from a Corsa C.

Its narrow minded of holden to not bring this car here . (ps i aint got a pc that works so aint been around, doing this post on my phone)
Holden Narrow minded... YES to a degree.I have a feeling Holden will revert back to a European Product in the Small car market and the Medium class market if the pricing is attractive. Its no good having a Small Hatch sitting at the 18k mark for a entry level when ford have the Fiesta at the 14k mark on entry level. Same as the Vectra. Top of the range was 52k and ford release a " hot version" for 43k . its just not attractive to the end buyer. Dont get me wrong though i would love to see the Corsa in Australia . The Corsa VXR wearing a HSV badge will turn alot of heads thats for sure.

No one has " ruled out " out the return of the corsa. HSV are basically saying that it would be a Logisitc Nightmare and a rather large investment on the behalf to add the Corsa VXR to there range without the it being in the Holden Range. I see there point. Large investment when you think about it as with the current VXR Astra HSV only import 100 units a year. that is all the factory is able to release to them.
Im sure if HSV were bringing 100 units a month they would be selling as well as the XR5 T but in saying that the HSV VXR Program HSV have ran for the last 3 years has proved to be sucessful ( and i challange anyone here to say otherwise) in terms of a brand awareness to other demographics. 81% of VXR buyers have never owned a HSV in the past and have been in a younger age bracket then they would normally sell cars too. That was the objective of the VXR program. Not to go out there and sell volume to the market like other hot hatch Manfacturers.

If holden were to bring the Corsa i think it would be wise not to use the Barina name. I think the Barina name should stay with the Current Barina (as it was ALWAYS a cheap car name to start with from the mid 80's) and bring it in with a new spirted name. Weather that be Corsa or somehting else i think its time for a fresh name to the market with an upmarket small hatch.

BLOODY YUPPIE ;)

Get with the times OPC.... ;)

dieselhead
15th August 2008, 07:41 PM
Forget the Corsa guys! Start saving for the Alfa Romeo MiTo GTA (http://www.motorauthority.com/news/hatchbacks/230hp-turbo-four-confirmed-for-alfa-romeo-mito-gta/). I know I am. Same brilliant Punto platform, 172kW from its 1.75l turbo , less than 1,200kg package. Itwill be a blast this pretty thing! Do I need to tell you how much better the interior of this thing is that anything Opel can do?
Hopefully will be here within 18-24 months.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/R_zmFLprdJI/AAAAAAAAor4/Q9KS6gV0Q0Q/s1600/MITOGTA.jpg

HappySlapper82
15th August 2008, 09:13 PM
Forget the Corsa guys! Start saving for the Alfa Romeo MiTo GTA (http://www.motorauthority.com/news/hatchbacks/230hp-turbo-four-confirmed-for-alfa-romeo-mito-gta/). I know I am. Same brilliant Punto platform, 172kW from its 1.75l turbo , less than 1,200kg package. Itwill be a blast this pretty thing! Do I need to tell you how much better the interior of this thing is that anything Opel can do?
Hopefully will be here within 18-24 months.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/R_zmFLprdJI/AAAAAAAAor4/Q9KS6gV0Q0Q/s1600/MITOGTA.jpg

awww now there's vomit all over my keyboard

DaveM
15th August 2008, 09:20 PM
Do I need to tell you how much better the interior of this thing is that anything Opel can do?http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/R_zmFLprdJI/AAAAAAAAor4/Q9KS6gV0Q0Q/s1600/MITOGTA.jpg

Its an alfa.. will its electrics last more than 12 months?

deviant
15th August 2008, 09:34 PM
Maybe the Mi.To is what it will take to force HSV hand on the corsa.

Alfas have always been hugely expensive so HSV might spot a gap to enter and undercut them....which might force Renault in to bringing the new Clio Sport in.

dieselhead
15th August 2008, 10:48 PM
I don't think a HSV Corsa VXR with the same specs (power, leather, etc) would be any cheaper than this Alfa. You can hate it or loathe it, but this is going to be the hottest supermini out there. A Mini Cooper S has only 128kW, so less performance for much more money. Very smart BMW, very smart indeed :)
I am convinced this is going to be a very good Alfa this time. Their survival depends on it, no way they will stuff it up. Look at Fiat, only a few years ago they were on the verge of bankrupcy and now have the hottest small cars in Europe. Alfa can do that, too.

Is Corsa built on the same Punto platform?

glider
15th August 2008, 10:53 PM
is that the minger they were talking about on top gear?

be nice if it did force hsv's hand.. doubt it will tho

cyclonic
15th August 2008, 11:15 PM
oh dear god. the though of that makes me want to puke.

Get your bucket ready - talk is that Holden will dump the Euro Astra early next year and replace it with the Korean sourced version of the Chevrolet Cruze/Daewoo Nubira.
Source: carsales.com.au - Joe Kenwright.

KingOfAstras
15th August 2008, 11:44 PM
Get your bucket ready - talk is that Holden will dump the Euro Astra early next year and replace it with the Korean sourced version of the Chevrolet Cruze/Daewoo Nubira.
Source: carsales.com.au - Joe Kenwright.
Oh, I think I'll have that bucket now..

glider
15th August 2008, 11:47 PM
Oh, I think I'll have that bucket now..

perhaps we should all get those honda euro badges and stick them on our astras to make a point of being proper euros :p

(or not)

Charlatan
16th August 2008, 01:30 PM
No one has " ruled out " out the return of the corsa. HSV are basically saying that it would be a Logisitc Nightmare and a rather large investment on the behalf to add the Corsa VXR to there range without the it being in the Holden Range. I see there point. Large investment when you think about it as with the current VXR Astra HSV only import 100 units a year. that is all the factory is able to release to them.
Im sure if HSV were bringing 100 units a month they would be selling as well as the XR5 T but in saying that the HSV VXR Program HSV have ran for the last 3 years has proved to be sucessful ( and i challange anyone here to say otherwise) in terms of a brand awareness to other demographics. 81% of VXR buyers have never owned a HSV in the past and have been in a younger age bracket then they would normally sell cars too. That was the objective of the VXR program. Not to go out there and sell volume to the market like other hot hatch Manfacturers.

I'm not arguing with the facts, but I struggle with the logic of HSV. On such small volumes, they have introduced what 160 new buyers to the brand. The program is successful in that they are bringing in small volumes and selling small volumes, but the reality is that they couldnt sell larger volumes if they wanted to - look at the number of new ones sitting in dealer yards. Admittedly I havent seen much (any?) advertising for them, but then there isnt exactly a large push on XR5s or MPSs and they seem to be doing larger volumes. Sean, there is no way they could sell anywhere near 100 units a month, not without chopping the price to sub $35k.

Of those they have introduced to the HSV brand, I would be the majority of them would know what this car is (ie OPEL) and a straight import, so largely unrelated to the bread and butter HSV models. Sure, you introduce them to the aftersales experience with HSV, but I've never heard that this is something to bang on about, certainly not like some do with Audi/BMW/Mercedes.

You can perhaps draw a line that the next step for people owning a hot hatch (VXR) is to a Clubsport etc (based on getting older, family etc). I'm not so sure, I imagine there is another step in there before that (4 door hot hatch for example or mid sized 4 door). The Corsa makes even less sense from this point of view.

I think it makes perfect sense for Holden not to bring the Corsa here. Shame for us, but that is the reality of our market at the moment, it is purely price driven at that end, not by quality or driving dynamics. There is no base model Renault Clio here for much the same reason.

That Alfa is nice, but it will fall apart well before the warranty expires :)

dieselhead
16th August 2008, 04:04 PM
awww now there's vomit all over my keyboard

You're serious? This thing has such an effect on you? :D

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/atomidude/MiTo/big_3.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/atomidude/MiTo/big_4.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/atomidude/MiTo/big_1.jpg

HappySlapper82
16th August 2008, 05:55 PM
You're serious? This thing has such an effect on you? :D

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/atomidude/MiTo/big_3.jpg
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj35/HappySlapper82/vomit.jpg

:D:D

immenotu
16th August 2008, 06:03 PM
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj35/HappySlapper82/vomit.jpg

+1 :D

That is horrible, much like virtually every other alfa in existence (just my opinion)

HappySlapper82
16th August 2008, 06:18 PM
+1 :D

That is horrible, much like virtually every other alfa in existence (just my opinion)

Watching Top Gear, just heard Jeremy say "It's a minger" lol

dieselhead
16th August 2008, 06:22 PM
Well, he also said a lot of nasty things about Vectras, but you still driving one :)
Don't worry, I won't show up in a GTA at an opelaus cruise. I got it.

HappySlapper82
16th August 2008, 07:04 PM
Well, he also said a lot of nasty things about Vectras, but you still driving one :)
Don't worry, I won't show up in a GTA at an opelaus cruise. I got it.

lol, It's all good :) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I'm just teasing :p

cyclonic
16th August 2008, 08:05 PM
I don't mind it, but its too expensive.

Back to the subject at hand, I think that HSV just couldn't make the numbers add up. Simple really. Car makers are in the business of making a profit and the whole of GM worldwide is under strain to do so.

dieselhead
16th August 2008, 08:13 PM
Stuff HSV then. Why don't we try to organise a group buy from Opel then? Or Vauxhall, just to make sure the tiller is on the right side :)

daiflu
16th August 2008, 08:53 PM
Stuff HSV then. Why don't we try to organise a group buy from Opel then? Or Vauxhall, just to make sure the tiller is on the right side :)

Because, this being an automotive internet forum; you'll get 50 people say they want one, then 10 will pull out, 30 will not pay or notify you and only 10 will put their money where their mouth is.

Shaun
16th August 2008, 08:58 PM
Because, this being an automotive internet forum; you'll get 50 people say they want one, then 10 will pull out, 30 will not pay or notify you and only 10 will put their money where their mouth is.

HAHAHA How true is that.....

poita
16th August 2008, 09:23 PM

and it will take 2 years to organise anything

Charlatan
17th August 2008, 09:12 AM

LOL! I'd say your final 10 is over inflated though