PDA

View Full Version : SRi 2.2 vs SRi-T

BEK-46P
5th July 2008, 07:52 PM
I'm lovin' my 2.2, but I am interested in seeing how the two compare overall. I did consider buying the turbo but wasn't too interested in high performance at the time (anything remotely better than a 1.5 Mirage 4spd was enough for me). I drove by my dealer the other night and saw the new turbo (love the new crosshatch grill) and got to thinking "should I have forked over the extra cash for the turbo"?

Somebody convince me otherwise.

glider
5th July 2008, 08:08 PM
pros and cons of both:

Pros
-can run on regular unleaded
-cheaper insurance

Cons
-not a turbo
-not as many options for upgrading performance

Turbo:
Pros
-its a turbo (need i say more?)
-inconspicuous fast car

Cons
-only runs on premium petrol
-higher insurance

poita
5th July 2008, 08:19 PM
u have a turbo, thats like +20000 street cred

chrissn89
5th July 2008, 08:38 PM
Well if its means anything a few months ago, ishley (red sri-t ah) and i (veccy b 2.2l) had a little race from a set of lights to about 80km/h, and to my amazement i won :confused: go figure. But i have to admit i did get a better take of than him. if we kept going im sure he woulda court up no problem. thats my 2 cents. although im looking at getting a turbo G at the end of the year.

+20000 street cred coming my way thank you.

GreyRex
6th July 2008, 01:30 AM
I'm lovin' my 2.2, but I am interested in seeing how the two compare overall. I did consider buying the turbo but wasn't too interested in high performance at the time (anything remotely better than a 1.5 Mirage 4spd was enough for me). I drove by my dealer the other night and saw the new turbo (love the new crosshatch grill) and got to thinking "should I have forked over the extra cash for the turbo"?

I guess it depends. Do you want us to say that you made the right/wrong choice, or do you want our opinions on the car itself?

I came from a Barina SRi and now have an Astra SRi Turbo. Yes it costs more to insure, but you already know that going into the purchase.

Fuel economy?? Well... i recently had mine flashed, yet with a bit of freeway driving, and gentle city driving, i've got 9.8L for this tank. I don't think that's too bad at all, considering its basically V8 quick

I can't comment on the 2.2, but from my understanding the interiors are identical.

One of the main differences would be the adjustable suspension with 'Sport'. IMO it doesn't work properly in the stock Astra Turbo. Even with it on, it still rolls. I guess you'd have to drive yours and it back to back to compare

auzvectra
6th July 2008, 08:41 AM
well fuel economy wise, i dont know about the ah, but the ts, the turbo was more ecenomical then the non turbo overall, and especially on the hway.

Vectracious
6th July 2008, 09:42 AM
Well if its means anything a few months ago, ishley (red sri-t ah) and i (veccy b 2.2l) had a little race from a set of lights to about 80km/h, and to my amazement i won :confused: go figure. But i have to admit i did get a better take of than him. if we kept going im sure he woulda court up no problem. thats my 2 cents. although im looking at getting a turbo G at the end of the year.

+20000 street cred coming my way thank you.

Then Ishley can't drive - there's absolutely no way that a stock 2.2 Veccy Manual - especially one with ICE gear in it, will beat a SRiT - never ever.

Performance is ..... "adequate"

CNBLU
6th July 2008, 10:26 AM
Then Ishley can't drive - there's absolutely no way that a stock 2.2 Veccy Manual - especially one with ICE gear in it, will beat a SRiT - never ever.

+1:cool:

i had a 2.2 astra g with a list of mods and (performance wise) it did not compare to my stock turbo. alot more torque and alot more pull.

Ice
6th July 2008, 10:37 AM
even your turbo now doesnt compare to my 1.8.....

ok ok back to reality.....just buy a turbo, its better, faster and modifiable.

vectraguy01
6th July 2008, 07:35 PM
on every car it comes down to launch and how you can drive. Different ppl drive differently, 1 quick squirt between a NA 2.2l and 2l turbo from standing would come down to launch, if turbo got better launch ofcourse it will win, but yer that was just 1 quick go to 80k.

cbrmale
6th July 2008, 07:39 PM
I have a 2.2 and it's not that quick, although usefully quicker than a 1.8 and quicker than the turbo diesel. For me, the advantages of the 2.2 include the lower purchase price, cheaper insurance, much better fuel economy (mine has averaged 8.4 litres/100km in 2/3 town and 1/3 highway running). One big advantage is the strong low-down torque of the 2.2, which makes it very useful around town, and it also results in improved handling as the 2.2 has fantastic part-throttle response, which an experienced driver can exploit to trim the handling attitude of the car. Very important this in a front wheel drive.

I have my doubts about the adjustable handling of the turbo as stiffening the front dampers should cause more understeer. In any case, the 2.2 is quite well balanced, remembering that the Astra hatch handles better than the Astra coupe.

But honestly a 2.2 is not that quick, and a determined 6-cylinder can give an Astra 2.2 a run for its money (but only until the first curve).

chrissn89
6th July 2008, 08:42 PM

i did say he had a bad launch, and probley didnt even try that hard. im very sure like 100% sure that if we both had good launches he woulda killed me no problems. That kid respects his car.

Vectracious
6th July 2008, 09:05 PM
im very sure like 100% sure that if we both had good launches he woulda killed me no problems. That kid respects his car.

so if you're 100% certain that with a good launch he would have killed you, then why be amazed that you won in the first place....:confused:

Regardless a 2.2 Vectra is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww - a 2.2 Astra marginally quicker than the Vectra. - The extra ~40kW and ~80Nm makes a hell of a difference in the turbo and even with a bad launch will most likely catch up to either the Veccy or the 2.2 Astra and eat them before 100km/h

chrissn89
6th July 2008, 09:25 PM
so if you're 100% certain that with a good launch he would have killed you, then why be amazed that you won in the first place....:confused:

Regardless a 2.2 Vectra is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww - a 2.2 Astra marginally quicker than the Vectra. - The extra ~40kW and ~80Nm makes a hell of a difference in the turbo and even with a bad launch will most likely catch up to either the Veccy or the 2.2 Astra and eat them before 100km/h

Thats y i was amazed i won, his bad launch and i won, its not always about the car. i know the veccy is slow hence y my first post says im hopefully getting a turbo G at the end of the year.

GreyRex
6th July 2008, 09:34 PM
the Astra hatch handles better than the Astra coupe.

Really?

USC
7th July 2008, 01:46 AM
Thats y i was amazed i won, his bad launch and i won, its not always about the car. i know the veccy is slow hence y my first post says im hopefully getting a turbo G at the end of the year.

now..calm down childen. I owned an sri-t and I can tell you, it beats the 2.2L vectra easily ( could even beat the vectra V6).

Apex
7th July 2008, 07:02 AM
Really?

X2. Explain?

I can’t see how the 5-Door could handle better that the performance model.

Must say my Turbo went bloody well and embarrassed a few cars in the time I had it, the little Turbo was great at kicking in nice and early! Havent seen or driven the 2.2.

Wraith
7th July 2008, 08:38 AM

Yes, you should have forked out the extra cash and got the turbo !!!

Seriously, it all depends on what you wanted and could've afforded at the time...

Regarding power, unless it's an extreme over the top amount, you are always going to 'adjust to it' so something that feels powerful to you today, will seem normal next week !

Had you bought the turbo, you'd probably want more power now anyway ! that's the trend with 99% of car enthusiasts...

So now for you, if you want to upgrade from a 2.2 to turbo, that's up to you, just bare in mind that stock vs stock, (ie: 2.2 vs Sri t) the difference is not Worlds apart, you'll find yourself chasing mods to get more...obvious questions are, is that what you really want/need ?? can you afford it and the losses of your current car ?? are you prepared for/accept the higher running costs, eg: fuel and insurance ?? modding ?? etc. etc.

Best of luck with it :)

cbrmale
7th July 2008, 08:01 PM
Really?

Go to the UK Astra Owners website where combinations of suspension, engine, bodykit and interior fittings are to order, and the recommendation is to go for the hatch because it handles better (less understeer and a more gentle transition to oversteer on the limit). I am guessing that the hatch has better weight distribution, but there are obvious differences in aerodynamics as well.

The SRi 2.2 hatch has the same performance suspension / wheel / tyre / brake setup as the 2.2 coupe, and the Vauxhaul drivers reckon the Astra H hatch to be the better of the two models.

Huhness
7th July 2008, 08:10 PM
MY 2.2L COULD PWN ALL YOUR NOOBS TURBOS! :spam:

I got a special intake mod.

Wraith
8th July 2008, 08:45 AM

Don't tell me, electric supercharger right ??? :D :p

Yes, more :spam: :D

poita
8th July 2008, 10:44 AM

roger, is that you?

SSS_Hoon
8th July 2008, 10:49 AM
Hey BEK do you work/live near wetheril park?

SSS_Hoon

Tfer
8th July 2008, 10:57 AM
now..calm down childen. I owned an sri-t and I can tell you, it beats the 2.2L vectra easily ( could even beat the vectra V6).

Maybe a Veccy B 2.6l V6, but not a Veccy C CDXi 3.2l V6..... Deighty (Astra G SRi-T without tune) and I had a go (on private property), and the answer is not a chance. BUT... with the tune, there wasn't much between them and seemed to go either way the couple of times we tried.
:)

Yes, you should have forked out the extra cash and got the turbo !!!

Seriously, it all depends on what you wanted and could've afforded at the time...

Regarding power, unless it's an extreme over the top amount, you are always going to 'adjust to it' so something that feels powerful to you today, will seem normal next week !

Had you bought the turbo, you'd probably want more power now anyway ! that's the trend with 99% of car enthusiasts...

So now for you, if you want to upgrade from a 2.2 to turbo, that's up to you, just bare in mind that stock vs stock, (ie: 2.2 vs Sri t) the difference is not Worlds apart, you'll find yourself chasing mods to get more...obvious questions are, is that what you really want/need ?? can you afford it and the losses of your current car ?? are you prepared for/accept the higher running costs, eg: fuel and insurance ?? modding ?? etc. etc.

Best of luck with it :)

+ 1 Wraith..... and hey, modding a NA Car can be a bit of fun too.... just depends on what you want.

Good luck with the decision :)

roger, is that you?

BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

lithium
8th July 2008, 11:50 AM
+ 1 Wraith..... and hey, modding a NA Car can be a bit of fun too.... just depends on what you want.

i agree with this and with Wraith, it all comes down to what you want. power is addictive and whatever car you buy it will never be enough!

when you want more its far easier to mod a turbo to get you really big power gains - just turn up the boost! however modding an NA is great fun too, you won't get (or expect!) big power gains but a well-tuned NA will give you smoothness, predictable power delivery, fuel efficiency and great throttle response :)

Apex
8th July 2008, 11:57 AM
i agree with this and with Wraith, it all comes down to what you want. power is addictive and whatever car you buy it will never be enough!

when you want more its far easier to mod a turbo to get you really big power gains - just turn up the boost! however modding an NA is great fun too, you won't get (or expect!) big power gains but a well-tuned NA will give you smoothness, predictable power delivery, fuel efficiency and great throttle response :)

True, and can sometimes be more reliable too as turning up the boost can be catastrophic.

Can also depend on how well the car is tuned from the factory, I have recently learnt this when observing a mates power gains in a crummy old VY SS Commodore, he gained 80 fly wheel KW for under 5 grand due to the car being very restricted factory. I would be lucky to get another 30kw out of my V8 (similar stock power 1,100cc less) with the same modifications.

BEK-46P
8th July 2008, 06:49 PM
Hey BEK do you work/live near wetheril park?

SSS_Hoon

Nope, Canterbury. Why?

OPC
8th July 2008, 10:10 PM

ok ok...

when the 2.2 astra G came out in 03 i got one

then about 6 months later i went to holden and saw the astra G Turbo

1 day later i was signing off on the Turbo

i can tell you the 2.2 was a dog compared to the Turbo in performance

and the interior in the Turbo was a big selling point being leather aswell

im not sure what differences in the H models are but id still probably go the Turbo over the 2.2

SSS_Hoon
9th July 2008, 05:58 AM
Nope, Canterbury. Why?

cause i see a black 2.2 H with what seems to be BEK *** plates is all.

SSS_Hoon

cbrmale
9th July 2008, 09:51 PM
ok ok...

when the 2.2 astra G came out in 03 i got one

then about 6 months later i went to holden and saw the astra G Turbo

1 day later i was signing off on the Turbo

i can tell you the 2.2 was a dog compared to the Turbo in performance

and the interior in the Turbo was a big selling point being leather aswell

im not sure what differences in the H models are but id still probably go the Turbo over the 2.2

The 2.2 in the AH is a different motor to what came before, with high pressure (120bar or 1,700psi) direct into the cylinder fuel injection, which allows a very high (12:1) compression ratio because of the extremely good fuel atomisation (mixing of fuel to oxygen). This high compression gives an already torquey engine much more torque, and by my experience it's also very free revving as well. Sometimes too free revving in the lower gears.

CNBLU
10th July 2008, 09:59 AM
The 2.2 in the AH is a different motor to what came before, with high pressure (120bar or 1,700psi) direct into the cylinder fuel injection, which allows a very high (12:1) compression ratio because of the extremely good fuel atomisation (mixing of fuel to oxygen). This high compression gives an already torquey engine much more torque, and by my experience it's also very free revving as well. Sometimes too free revving in the lower gears.

This is the same with the turbo models but isnt the H heavier therefor needs more torque??

SSS_Hoon
10th July 2008, 10:08 AM
i dont think the turbo models run the direct injection on the astra's?

SSS_Hoon

EL BURITO
10th July 2008, 11:23 AM
Well i can beat a 2.2 no issue, The turbo haven't tried yet don't like my chances till I get a few mods and dreamscience

SSS_Hoon
10th July 2008, 11:57 AM
if the XR4 didn beat the 2.2 i would be taking the XR4 back or learning how to drive.

Had a 2.2 try n run me while i was in the GTI the other night it was funny watching him keep tring hehe damm P Platers..

how do the XR4's go Burito they not too bad they are on my short list for a new small car.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
10th July 2008, 01:32 PM
if the XR4 didn beat the 2.2 i would be taking the XR4 back or learning how to drive.

Had a 2.2 try n run me while i was in the GTI the other night it was funny watching him keep tring hehe damm P Platers..

how do the XR4's go Burito they not too bad they are on my short list for a new small car.

SSS_Hoon

LOL that's funny, stock vs stock, the Gti would totally eat a 2.2 Astra, especially the DSG model...

But yeh, some P platers will try and give anything a go even with a total loser crap box !!!

I had one idiot P plater years ago trying to run me in my HSV R8 with his '70's Corolla :rolleyes:

Even after totally humiliating him, he came back for more :confused: and got very upset, like he just couldn't believe it :D hahahahaha brain dead idiots out there :D

glider
10th July 2008, 01:34 PM
the 2.2 is really only good for giving base model cars a run for their money

SSS_Hoon
10th July 2008, 01:42 PM
LOL that's funny, stock vs stock, the Gti would totally eat a 2.2 Astra, especially the DSG model...

But yeh, some P platers will try and give anything a go even with a total loser crap box !!!

I had one idiot P plater years ago trying to run me in my HSV R8 with his '70's Corolla :rolleyes:

Even after totally humiliating him, he came back for more :confused: and got very upset, like he just couldn't believe it :D hahahahaha brain dead idiots out there :D

yeah i know i didnt even need to put the DSG in manual mode lol

he kept on a coming back for me getting more and more aggresive with it too, so i finnaly stopped when he started changing lanes and what not so let him do the bogan flyby.

had a few of the 2.2's want a go while i in the SSS also hehe wierdos and most of the time its P platers.

I remember once while in my brothers XY we had a P plater try and run him he was in a hyundai sonata lol, he must of thought cause there was L plates on the XY that he couldnt drive boy was he wrong we left him breathing nice smelling smell of tire smoke mmm sweet.

SSS_Hoon

GreyRex
10th July 2008, 02:00 PM
yeah i know i didnt even need to put the DSG in manual mode lol

he kept on a coming back for me getting more and more aggresive with it too, so i finnaly stopped when he started changing lanes and what not so let him do the bogan flyby.

had a few of the 2.2's want a go while i in the SSS also hehe wierdos and most of the time its P platers.

I remember once while in my brothers XY we had a P plater try and run him he was in a hyundai sonata lol, he must of thought cause there was L plates on the XY that he couldnt drive boy was he wrong we left him breathing nice smelling smell of tire smoke mmm sweet.

SSS_Hoon

Shouldn't we be encouraging Learner drivers not to do that?

Just a thought :)

lithium
10th July 2008, 02:10 PM
Shouldn't we be encouraging Learner drivers not to do that?

Just a thought :)

why? it's an essential skill needed to be learnt before becoming a P-plater ;)

some P-platers are ok though, i think a few dickheads give them a bad name. also a lot of full licensers don't treat them well. i still remember how all the cars around me suddenly became much more courteous with my lane changes as soon as the P-plates came off!

SSS_Hoon
10th July 2008, 02:27 PM
yeah we should be, and he got a stern word afterwards dont u worry.

the funny thing was he could drive better then i could and had more driving experience then i did, yet he had the L's LOL go figure.

Yeah its only a handful of P Platers that give them the bad name.

SSS_Hoon

CNBLU
10th July 2008, 02:38 PM
This thread is the biggest ****ing wank fest ever.

Can someone close it?

Turbo>NA2.2 We get it already.

^^^^^^^^^
thats the name of the thread and its in general discussion. Dont like the topic buddy i suggest you stop reading.

EL BURITO
10th July 2008, 02:52 PM

Well I am thinking ''IF" I do not have any more warranty issues I will upgrade to the new XR4/ST150 that will be coming out late 2009 early 2010 approx 150kw from a 1.6t

It handles alright, needs to be lower thou as the ride hight as stock it far to high, the interior has its downfalls.

I have been on a few performance car cruises with out too many issues keeping, but especially when it hits the twisty's i can play more. The body roll is a little bad but I attribute that to the ride hight. Other item that needs improving is brakes but nothing better pads, fluid and rotors would not solve.

poita
10th July 2008, 02:57 PM
Back on topic pls guys

Ishley
10th July 2008, 04:28 PM
What is the 2.2's fuel consumption like compared to the 2.0 turbo???

gman
10th July 2008, 04:59 PM
Could you just turbo the 2.2...Direct injection 2.2 turbo...Might make things interesting..

Biggest advantage of the "G" over the "H" is weight...But the "H" has more rubber on the road so should be better in the corners, (well at least in the dry anyways)...

EL BURITO
10th July 2008, 06:00 PM
itsnt the 2.2 a weaker engine thou ?????????????

Ash the 2.2 is about 9l per 100km if i remember right. thats from the sticker

cbrmale
10th July 2008, 06:20 PM
What is the 2.2's fuel consumption like compared to the 2.0 turbo???

Significantly better. Mine has averaged 8.4 litres/100km actual since new.

Remember that the 2.2 was not intended to be the high performance variant, just to go harder than a 1.8 in what is a fairly heavy car. Remember there isn't any comparison between the previous 2.2 and the current 2.2 direct, because only the bottom end of the motor was carried forward. New head, cams, valve sizes, fuel injection and engine management and so on. And then there's the weight difference between the two models.

The AH 2.2 manual does 0-100 in 8.4secs, and the auto in 8.9, which is quicker than the previous model 2.2 which I think was manual only.

daiflu
10th July 2008, 08:39 PM
The AH 2.2 manual does 0-100 in 8.4secs, and the auto in 8.9, which is quicker than the previous model 2.2 which I think was manual only.

My sources (an old Total Vauxhall magazine) have the TS SRi 0-60mph (96.56kph) as 8.2sec, so probably pretty close.

glider
10th July 2008, 08:48 PM
the NRMA road test of the G SRi says 10.4secs so I'm happy to go with your review :p

nrma test for 2.2 vert/sri is here
https://www.aaa.asn.au/roadtests/reports/391.pdf

CNBLU
10th July 2008, 10:08 PM
ive got around 172kw atw and i get 9ltr/100km so i'd be assuming that a stock turbo would be around 8.5lt/100km.

Having previously owned a 2.2 G, dont think theres that much of a difference in fuel econemy.

GreyRex
10th July 2008, 10:42 PM
ive got around 172kw atw and i get 9ltr/100km so i'd be assuming that a stock turbo would be around 8.5lt/100km.

Having previously owned a 2.2 G, dont think theres that much of a difference in fuel econemy.

I dont know what mine is at the wheels now, but my last tank i got 9.8L... bang on 502kms with 5L left :) I spose thats about right with mine being about 100kgs heavier

Yes yes i know you ones with the diesels will beat us all, but we're comparing the 2.2 to the 2L turbo here :p

Although this tank i'm currently on 9L (but thats babying it to see just how low it'll go)... not bad for basically V8 power

astrauturbo
11th July 2008, 10:07 PM
with a tune and a larger cooler. I am actually managing more k's cause the
engine uses less fuel to cool it down! also i wanted to note ppl with a open
license tend to drive like maniac's cause they got 12 points where as P
platers only get 4 points so conserve it more. well thats my experience anyway,,