PDA

View Full Version : Not your run of the mill TS Coupe

xplosv57
26th June 2008, 06:25 PM
I know this has been posted before a while ago, but this car has finally been registered and engineered as is ready to be driven.......

Borrowed from www.ls1.com.au (http://www.ls1.com.au)

Simply awesome!!! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/Pete123/CopyofUpdatepics015.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/Pete123/CopyofUpdatepics017.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/Pete123/CopyofUpdatepics004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/Pete123/CopyofUpdatepics005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/Pete123/CopyofUpdatepics006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/Pete123/th_V8Soundtrack.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v368/Pete123/?action=view&current=V8Soundtrack.flv)

poita
26th June 2008, 06:35 PM
oh oh oh its finished!!!
this is awesome this thing!!

so much work went into this, such a sweet thing

Calibrated
26th June 2008, 06:39 PM
**** me sideways.

xplosv57
26th June 2008, 06:41 PM
Just thought i'd mention, it's an LS1 not an LS2, the LS2 engine covers look better on it though!!!

Still one heck of a car, took quite a few years and many many modifications!!!

poita
26th June 2008, 06:43 PM
like cuttin away 2/3rds of the firewall lol
custom tunnel lol

glider
26th June 2008, 08:05 PM
nice to see this got finished

bet it goes...

chrissn89
26th June 2008, 08:30 PM
Now thats one nice astra. They could have vacuumed it out though.

lithium
26th June 2008, 09:59 PM
thats incredible!

i saw what looked like boost gauges on the centre dash and thought 'oh another custom blown 4 cylinder engine' then one picture later... :eek::eek::eek:

looks like a rear-drive conversion too
bloody amazing work

lithium
26th June 2008, 10:01 PM
and its got extractors too
just in case a stock 5.7L V8 in a 1100kg shell wasn't enough performance for you :dance:

tuzinski
26th June 2008, 10:16 PM
bloody hell!

thats one crazy ass 4WD coupe

poita
26th June 2008, 10:17 PM
lithium its got everything done to it mate.
i'll see if i can find the links again for the build

heres a link for it
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460867

and tuz, its RWD

Vectracious
26th June 2008, 10:31 PM
F*ck me sideways.... :eek:

And the VZ interior has just slotted in like its always belonged in an Astra.....

:clap:

ASTRAY
26th June 2008, 10:34 PM
damn, there goes my "unique" idea for drink holders :( , hes done the same!
but i think its just because he has used a monaro centre console, not modded the astras stock one. i on the other hand kind of have to, no room left for drinks with 10s in the doors. :p

CNBLU
26th June 2008, 11:07 PM
Yeh Petes a member on AstraSport and believe me those pics dont show the detail that went into this beast. Think his other car is a porsche.:cool:

Dave
26th June 2008, 11:26 PM
I just had an accident in my panties. :eek: id sell my left nut for that thing !

USC
27th June 2008, 12:02 AM
:eek: :eek:

FANTASTIC!

NXA-16H
27th June 2008, 12:09 AM
Sorry Boys n' Girls, but I'm not impressed.

At the end of the day, it's still just a frigging TS that's had some very expensive mods done to it... The man will NEVER get his money back on it, let alone make any sort of profit.

I just don't get it. For the amount of money blown on the thing, one could just as easily buy a nice GTI Golf, or perhaps even an Audi A3... WITH a warranty.

Is it just me who thinks this way?

NXK-43Y

USC
27th June 2008, 12:53 AM
He obviously has a lot of money.

A VW Gti will not be a nicer car....

An audi A3 may be...but not original.

In the UK, most cars dont keep much value anyways...

ASTRAY
27th June 2008, 01:27 AM
i dont think he would have been better off getting a different car, he has obviously done the car to be exactly the way he wants it. some people (like myself) love astras and another car just wouldnt cut it.
saying its just another ts is like saying a lamborghini is just another car, its far from correct.
show me another ts which is exactly the same as this car and then you can say its just another ts.
if he would have bought a golf, it would have been "just another golf"
if he would have bought a A3, it would have been "just another A3"
but this car my friend, is not "just another ts"
and if you mean performance wise, how bout you grab a golf, or A3 and line it up against his astra and see just who comes out better off.
getting money back on a car isnt what modding a car is about, you will never get all your money back on any car no matter what car it is or what mods you do. modding a car is all about selecting a car you like and increasing your like for it by making it exactly how you want it to be.
i dont think many people could buy a car straight out of a caryard and say to themselves that they wouldnt change a single thing. as soon as you change wheels for example,you have personalised the car and you have lost money. this guy has spent months on this car and i think that goes to show that its more than just resale value that he was looking for.
personal satisfaction is much more important than resale value.
and come 10-20years down the track id say he would still get more for his astra than you would get for a 10-20 year old golf or A3.
just my opinion.

xplosv57
27th June 2008, 07:46 AM

NXK-43Y

I think so.

Yeah sure he could have bought something nice, but this car is one of a kind and is getting attention not only in the UK, but all round the world!!!

Plus there's no better satisfaction than saying you built that all yourself, alot of hard work went into that!!!!

I'm sure he didn't build it thinking about resale...

oneightoo
27th June 2008, 07:54 AM
finally it's finished!!

about dam time too!!..

reedaaron
27th June 2008, 08:14 AM
I think so.

Yeah sure he could have bought something nice, but this car is one of a kind and is getting attention not only in the UK, but all round the world!!!

Plus there's no better satisfaction than saying you built that all yourself, alot of hard work went into that!!!!

I'm sure he didn't build it thinking about resale...

I totally agree... the satisfaction of having done it all himself would be a big part of it, plus having a unique car...

and it's got balls! :p

immenotu
27th June 2008, 08:23 AM
...Is it just me who thinks this way?

NXK-43Y

Id say yes. Not everything is about money!!!

If you want to make money, dont buy a car, it's pretty much that simple (bar a very small number of exceptions)

This car is a one of a kind, and the personal satisfaction he would feel now that its finished would be incredible. It's awesome to see someone passionate enough to finish a project like this :clap:

Wraith
27th June 2008, 08:37 AM
Oh yeah, I remember this one well from years ago....good to see it's all finished and running :)

Now try telling this guy a turbo 4 potter is better than a V8 !!!!! ;)

An Astra G coupe and Commodore V8 interior and running gear = perfect, love it, would have one myself anyday, only having been there and done similar myself, I'd want it done by someone else and I'll just buy the finished thing :D

btm
27th June 2008, 08:42 AM
massive fan, awesome effort by the dude :clap:

glider
27th June 2008, 09:23 AM
Yeh Petes a member on AstraSport and believe me those pics dont show the detail that went into this beast. Think his other car is a porsche.:cool:

i believe you are correct

CNBLU
27th June 2008, 09:39 AM

At the end of the day, it's still just a frigging TS that's had some very expensive mods done to it... The man will NEVER get his money back on it, let alone make any sort of profit.

I just don't get it. For the amount of money blown on the thing, one could just as easily buy a nice GTI Golf, or perhaps even an Audi A3... WITH a warranty.

NXK-43Y

Who does up an astra to make profit?:rolleyes:

Why would he buy a GTI Golf when every other 'tom and his dog' has one?

Dont think money was an issue here, he has built a very unique car and deserves a bit more credit than that.

daiflu
27th June 2008, 09:51 AM

NXK-43Y

Yea mate, just you.
You Never start a project like that with the thought of getting your money back, let alone making a profit.
Building a car and buying a run of the mill production car are two totally different things.

oneightoo
27th June 2008, 10:04 AM
just the fact that he built it all himself and managed to get it engineered is an outstanding effort..

EL BURITO
27th June 2008, 10:07 AM
how do you recon they got the dash in ?

lithium
27th June 2008, 10:09 AM
in the words of a mate who installed air bags (not the safety ones!) into a ute and fabricated his own all new body panels - note i say body *panels*, not body 'kit':

'a car isn't really yours until you've customised it'

i think saying 'why spend the money' is like saying 'why go to teppanyaki for a meal when you could buy two hundred big macs for the same price'. yes it's true from an economic viewpoint, however....

factory produced goods aren't really the same as something that has been hand-made to suit your tastes, especially if the hands that made it are your own

Vectracious
27th June 2008, 10:22 AM
For the amount of money blown on the thing, one could just as easily buy a nice GTI Golf, or perhaps even an Audi A3... WITH a warranty.

I think even if you're not biased towards Opels - if you like cars, when you hear and see a V8 shoehorned into an Astra - you're going to be impressed.

A Golf GTi (yawn) or an Audi A3 (hell even an S3) is not going to be as impressive as that Astra. Ever.

btm
27th June 2008, 10:53 AM
in the vid it only looks like the left rear zorst works??

JR
27th June 2008, 11:12 AM
good to see he's finally finshed the beast and its been certified n good to drive on the roads :clap:

i used to follow his forum ages ago, watching the progress right from start, and i can tell u, wat this man has done is beyond impressive!!! not only did he have to create the whole underbody from scratch, he did it correctly and engineered to the finest degree. top stuff i tell ya.

as for those who think "why bother with an astra?" - like the others said, its not about making money, its about the satisfaction, and he chose the astra.
i say good on him - now EVERY car-modder in the WORLD will know about the humble ts astra :D hehehehe

InsaneAsylum
27th June 2008, 11:54 AM
yeah good to see he completed it...

not just another fool out there making claims without following through

daaaaavek
27th June 2008, 04:28 PM

The bloke that built this TS would be one of the very few people who have actually turned their idea into a result. I've lost count of the number of dim-wits that buy a car with the intention of making it 'fully turbo boosted siiik mate', yet lack the devotion and drive to actually be bothered to achieve something. I don't care if the thing was painted ****en bright pink - the fact that it's been done at all is staggering, brilliant, and deserving of praise.

As far as modding a TS goes there are none which contain this much originality and creativity backed by solid mechanical and engineering.

So yes, it is just you that thinks this. Think again before making such a stupid remark yeh?

InsaneAsylum
27th June 2008, 04:52 PM
The bloke that built this TS would be one of the very few people who have actually turned their idea into a result. I've lost count of the number of dim-wits that buy a car with the intention of making it 'fully turbo boosted siiik mate', yet lack the devotion and drive to actually be bothered to achieve something. I don't care if the thing was painted ****en bright pink - the fact that it's been done at all is staggering, brilliant, and deserving of praise.

As far as modding a TS goes there are none which contain this much originality and creativity backed by solid mechanical and engineering.

So yes, it is just you that thinks this. Think again before making such a stupid remark yeh?

exactly, he achieved his goal. he did something rather than jsut talking it up to get props. you can't knock that.

NXA-16H
27th June 2008, 08:12 PM

exactly, he achieved his goal. he did something rather than jsut talking it up to get props. you can't knock that.

http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/thumbnail2/1240_sleeping.gifZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

NXK-43Y

95' GSI
27th June 2008, 08:28 PM
http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/thumbnail2/1240_sleeping.gifZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

NXK-43Y

Very mature :clap:

NXA-16H
27th June 2008, 08:36 PM
Very mature :clap:

Read your own Signature...
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/skysthelimiiit/quotes%20sayings/dontmatterdontmind.jpg

I'm just living by that ethos. Yet you, and others around here are somehow offended by my disinterest in some souped-up TS??? What's your problem?

NXK-43Y

glider
27th June 2008, 08:37 PM
this thread got off topic real quick..

95' GSI
27th June 2008, 08:41 PM
Read your own Signature...
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn280/skysthelimiiit/quotes%20sayings/dontmatterdontmind.jpg

I'm just living by that ethos. Yet you, and others around here are somehow offended by my disinterest in some souped-up TS??? What's your problem?

NXK-43Y

Hey you're the one who seems to have a problem.
If you have no interest, why bother with the response you gave.
We get that you have no interest in this matter, big deal. Each to their own.
Clearly a lot of other people do for good reason Im sure.
I also dont get why he bothered but he chose to do it for a reason so what anyone thinks doesnt really matter.

95' GSI
27th June 2008, 08:41 PM
this thread got off topic real quick..

Very true.
Saw your lovely pic lol.

d.c.
27th June 2008, 09:06 PM
Some very impressive engineering went into this car and its good to see its finally finished.

Looking at the distance between the extractors and the side of the car I think there is room for twin turbos..............

ASTRAY
28th June 2008, 07:05 AM
pete1 (his screen name on many forums he has posted his astra in) sold alot of his pre-v8 parts to finance his v8 project. ive read most of his threads about his astra and it seems he done the majority of the fabrication himself or with the help of mates and also with the help of other forum users. so i dont see end cost being insanely excessive. i think its great to see the project finished. i love his body kit, same as the red astra extreme i think, has anyone seen a version of this kit for a sedan? any prices available?

OPC
28th June 2008, 12:02 PM
damn... i remember seeing this as a shell... now look at it...

bloody top effort and money well worth spent i reckon...

roll cage is a bit hmmmm

NXA-16H is well within his rights to say what he wants... even if it is dribble ;)
( no i didn't say dribble was a bad thing )

rusole21
2nd July 2008, 02:30 PM
Fricken awesome work! I loved readin and lookin at his progress posts ages ago. Always wondered how it went. I remember he was having problems because it wasnt aligned perfectly. Man that guy is a magician with steel and engineering! Big respect to him!

NXA-16H----Tosser
^^^ ^^^
Same--------Same

Tfer
2nd July 2008, 04:39 PM
It is really good to see someone start a project and then follow through and complete the project.... and this is coming from someone who cannot even start a car project :o

It is also good to see something different, and in the most parts (IMO), quite tastefully done.

But that's the point.... something different, and differences, and the respect of other peoples' different opinions, is what makes the world go round. If we were all the same..... everyone would be driving an appliance :eek:

My 2 cents...

95' GSI
2nd July 2008, 04:43 PM
I call dibs on a blender or a whisk :p
sorry....

Tfer
2nd July 2008, 04:49 PM
I call dibs on a blender or a whisk :p
sorry....

Funny girl ;)

95' GSI
2nd July 2008, 04:50 PM
Funny girl ;)

Sorry Thomas :o

R3N
2nd July 2008, 05:27 PM
Play nice...

Tfer
3rd July 2008, 05:08 PM
Sorry Thomas :o

No need to apologise though..... I occasionally do have a sense of humour :rolleyes:

dug74
3rd July 2008, 09:14 PM
I personally dont see the point in spending that money myself...but that is my opinion.

BUT...i do have great respect for someone who can start an *original* project and finish it, even more goes to actually doing mostly himself.

Its obvious, like everyone has said..it wasnt done for financial reasons...more emotional and self satisfaction.

Its ok to not want to do it yourself...but you should not bag others who have different aspirations in life.

Mr Corsa did a huge turbo mod on his corsa...which obviously cost heaps of money and no one called him silly.

Think in future...

Happy Motoring
duglet

P.S. If he could keep the car in prestige condition...it would be worth 10X as much as the Audi or Golf..and would probably appreciate in price.:dance:

Vectracious
3rd July 2008, 09:27 PM
Mr Corsa did a huge turbo mod on his corsa...which obviously cost heaps of money and no one called him silly.

Well some people did, but we never saw them again ;)

poita
3rd July 2008, 10:05 PM
Well some people did, but we never saw them again ;)

concrete boots?

PaulyJ
4th July 2008, 06:38 PM
No, I pressed the account delete button... muahahaha

Each to their own. Everyone has their own opinion, and flaming someone for having a completely different opinion from yours is hypocritical.
If I had the money and knowledge, and already had a platform like that, yeah maybe I'd have done the same. Maybe not.
Its kind of like when I had my Corsa B. So so so many people gave me shit over it etc, but put it into a corner and they shut up very very quickly. At the end of the day, I personally was satisfied with what I had, and didn't give a shit what other's thought of it or myself.

This guy had a goal, and he achieved it. Kudos to him.

http://www.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/ali-g-respect.gif

Shaun
4th July 2008, 07:44 PM

NXK-43Y

Put aside your thoughts there for a moment. the engineering and hours of work that has gone into this car is a major feat. rememeber the TS Astra was never designed to run RWD Set up let alone the LS1.

Congratualtions is what i think is required. I think its one awesome engineering feat for the owner thats for sure.

I would love to go for a run in the car .

Shaun

poita
4th July 2008, 07:48 PM
I would love to go for a run in the car .

Shaun

i think most of the users on opel/gm/ls1 forums would as well.
maybe he could recoup his money by charging ppl for hot laps in it :D

Shaun
4th July 2008, 07:51 PM
damn... i remember seeing this as a shell... now look at it...

bloody top effort and money well worth spent i reckon...

roll cage is a bit hmmmm

NXA-16H is well within his rights to say what he wants... even if it is dribble ;)
( no i didn't say dribble was a bad thing )

I think the Roll cage is used to make the body rigid as the body would have some flex now with the power and torque increases.

mr corsa
4th July 2008, 07:59 PM
dont like the roll cage and i dont like being dragged into threads

SKM_87
4th July 2008, 08:35 PM
now it needs a cam and crank 430 rwhp out of the sucker, hahaha

poita
4th July 2008, 08:50 PM
well he has been talking forced induction.
so should be interesting

Jerram
4th July 2008, 10:33 PM
almost makes you wanna buy an astra and get to work...

...nah I'll stick with the ole understeery veccy b

btm
7th July 2008, 10:31 AM
i wonder what his next project may be

mr corsa
7th July 2008, 03:14 PM
i wonder what his next project may be

rumour has it that he is building a fleet of bionic goats to take over the world

btm
7th July 2008, 03:20 PM
awesome!! :D

gman
7th July 2008, 04:56 PM

I think your missing the point..

As an engineering exercise and a project, this has to be one of the best executed and thought out conversions I have seen in a long time. Exceptional engineering and fabrication work..As he did most of the work himself, the mods actually wouldn't have been that expensive..Labour is what usually costs the most in any build...

While it is "still only a TS" (which in itself isn't such a bad thing), I doubt that one of his major concerns was re-sale value, profit or whether it would be a better daily driver than an A3, S3 or Golf GTi...

And how many project builders set out purely with the intention of making a profit? Aside from all and sundry on the Discovery Channel..Some, such as myself, do it purely as an exercise and for the fun of it..I doubt that any enthusiast that modifies cars ever sees a profit from the time, money and effort expended on an individual car...

Of all the cars I've had, including the previous model S3, and that hundreds I've driven, I still think the TS isn't a bad car if you take it for what it is..

My TS SRi-T still sits in my garage home in Oz, next to my Ducati and will soon be accompanied by an 07 STI Spec C RA-R that I am importing back from HK...

I actually love driving the SRi-T..It for some reason, while never being a Ferrari, GTR, STi, Evo or Porsche, never ceases to put a smile on my face..For that reason, I think I will hang on to mine for a while longer, continue to spend money on modifying it and I strongly doubt I will ever see a profit..But than again, Thats not why I do it...

But thats just me....

rusole21
8th July 2008, 02:03 PM
Great post Gman!!

Wraith
9th July 2008, 08:53 AM
Great post Gman!!

+ 2

Totally agree and all those points mentioned is why I did exactly the same many years ago myself with a XU-1 Torana fitted with a V8 Chev and all the rest of it...

It's never about the 'return of money spent' at the end of it all, it's about pursuing your passions and putting a never ending smile on your dial !!!

Shaun
9th July 2008, 08:30 PM
I think your missing the point..

As an engineering exercise and a project, this has to be one of the best executed and thought out conversions I have seen in a long time. Exceptional engineering and fabrication work..As he did most of the work himself, the mods actually wouldn't have been that expensive..Labour is what usually costs the most in any build...

While it is "still only a TS" (which in itself isn't such a bad thing), I doubt that one of his major concerns was re-sale value, profit or whether it would be a better daily driver than an A3, S3 or Golf GTi...

And how many project builders set out purely with the intention of making a profit? Aside from all and sundry on the Discovery Channel..Some, such as myself, do it purely as an exercise and for the fun of it..I doubt that any enthusiast that modifies cars ever sees a profit from the time, money and effort expended on an individual car...

Of all the cars I've had, including the previous model S3, and that hundreds I've driven, I still think the TS isn't a bad car if you take it for what it is..

My TS SRi-T still sits in my garage home in Oz, next to my Ducati and will soon be accompanied by an 07 STI Spec C RA-R that I am importing back from HK...

I actually love driving the SRi-T..It for some reason, while never being a Ferrari, GTR, STi, Evo or Porsche, never ceases to put a smile on my face..For that reason, I think I will hang on to mine for a while longer, continue to spend money on modifying it and I strongly doubt I will ever see a profit..But than again, Thats not why I do it...

But thats just me....

I know exactly what you mean. My old SRi T and VXR when driven on a nice road brings a smile to my face.
For what they are they are exceptional value for money.

I could garrentee this G coupe in question will never be sold (well no time soon)