PDA

View Full Version : WTF!?! - Astra SRi Now a 1.8

bones
26th June 2008, 01:07 PM
Does anyone know anything about this? I was just trawling Holden's website when it caught me eye that the Astra SRi now has the same 1.8 as all the other AH's. Its not likely to be a misprint as its mentioned all over the place, in the overview, tech specs and "Build & Price". That seems a bit strange after all the work they did localising the new 2.2. Still it should be good news for the resale value of my 2.2 SRi. Does anybody have any more info on this?

MatsHolden
26th June 2008, 01:36 PM
Yeah I noticed that the otherr day. Interesting. Also noticed the Coupe is only available in the SRi and SRi Turbo now.

EL BURITO
26th June 2008, 02:16 PM
Yep.

the 2.2 5 door was dropped at the beginning of the MY 08.
the 2.2 in the 3 door was dropped early this year also.

2.2 only comes on the Vert now

Red AH from Sydney was talking about it late last year.

I think it is more turned into a Spec level like it is in the UK vs a Performance level of how it was over here.

It would seem though that the coup is no longer available in povo spek also

bones
26th June 2008, 02:24 PM
Shit! I didn't notice that. I reckon it will kill coupe sales - about 80% of the coupes I see are CDs. I rarely see a CDX or SRi but they have lowered the prices on both SRi models to $28,490, which is a full two grand off the old price for a coupe [$1500 for the hatch]. I wonder why they have gone this route? Maybe it is the fact that you see very few SRis on the road? Whatever the reason, its weird they haven't made any announcement or anything about it.

USC
26th June 2008, 02:24 PM
Old news...been discussed earlier...

New sri will hopefully be cheaper too.

New Astra should be out late next year though...

btm
26th June 2008, 02:29 PM
i think its a good idea having the best looking style of the bunch (coupe) ear marked only for SRi status

makes it more exclusive and will make people pay more for it

bones
26th June 2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah, why isn't there a search feature anywhere here?

btm
26th June 2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah, why isn't there a search feature anywhere here?

you mean this ;) http://www.opelaus.com/forum/search.php

Red AH SRI T
26th June 2008, 02:34 PM
The 2.2 in the SRi is a very expensive engine, and with the new VVT in the 1.8 the power out-puts are very similar 103kw for 1.8 vs 110kw for 2.2. Although the 2.2 still makes more torque.
Also the 2.2 is not E10 compatible.

JohnBu
26th June 2008, 03:41 PM
why would the 2.2L engine be very expensive to make?

cant be that high tech/expensive if it only produces 110kW.

a 20 year old prelude makes 110kW with 200 less cc.

USC
26th June 2008, 04:07 PM

It has all alloy engine head and block. It has direct injection. It has variable valve timing. Being a 2.2 and having more torque also means it needs a better gearbox.

20 year old prelude makes 110kw at the expense of the environment. it also would not be as smooth as the 2.2. its not all about power but about reliability, etc...

Black Nugget
26th June 2008, 06:03 PM

chain v belt perhaps, as well as economies of scale....

wishbone
26th June 2008, 10:15 PM
so does this mean my long awaited k&n filter for the 2.2l is never going to be produced?

Ishley
27th June 2008, 09:01 AM
Most of the coupe's I see on the road are the CD/CDX. Maybe Holden realised that the Coupe line wasn't working the way they wanted it too.

Because in the TS 3 door range, I see ALOT of SRi 2.2's. And in the AH it wasn't like that. Are Holden trying to make the coupe a "premium" model by limiting the models to just the SRi and SRiT, and like already mentioned making it an exclusive model.

Wraith
27th June 2008, 09:04 AM

Agree...

Even the 2 decade old Calibra N/A 2.0ltr 4 banger made 110kw !!!

It's got nothing to do with technology ! it's got everything to do with enviromental issues and marketing hype and the whole pollution global warming debacle, as most manufactures are trying to show 'enviromental awareness' by downsizing engines and introducing more alternative power sources...

btm
27th June 2008, 11:22 AM
i think its a good idea having the best looking style of the bunch (coupe) ear marked only for SRi status

makes it more exclusive and will make people pay more for it

Are Holden trying to make the coupe a "premium" model by limiting the models to just the SRi and SRiT, and like already mentioned making it an exclusive model.

yep ;)

SSS_Hoon
27th June 2008, 11:33 AM
they are trying to do that old saying you know the one.

Polish a turd..

LoL

SSS_Hoon

tim_
27th June 2008, 01:43 PM
i noticed this today when i went and had a look at the astra site on holden, purely because i saw an astra cd with 16" holden wheels i'd never seen before.

and what the hell is leather appointed sports seats? the site wouldn't work.

tim_
27th June 2008, 01:44 PM
oh it's cool. it just means leather seats. it's good that comes standard now on the cdx 5 door as opposed to being an option.

USC
27th June 2008, 01:49 PM
yeh..they are throwing in all those standard leather seats cos they are now getting rid of this model I think...

Red AH SRI T
27th June 2008, 02:23 PM
They aren't getting rid of the Astra. Man you talk some shit.

Its just a regular upgrade to the models to make the more competitive as smaller cars is what's selling now, so Holden wants a bigger slice of the pie.

bones
27th June 2008, 04:44 PM
I wonder how they expect to get it by reducing the range? Although at least they finally put the diesel into the wagon. Man, I've seen a lot of Astra wagons in the past few months. They must be selling pretty well.

Yeah, but basically the same engine in an Alfa159 makes 136kW so its not incapable. I would also be surprised if the Honda engine had half the torque [210Nm] and was anywhere near as tractable as my SRi [see below].
[quote=Wraith;331744]Agree...
Even the 2 decade old Calibra N/A 2.0ltr 4 banger made 110kw !!!/quote]
Having moved from one straight into the other, I can promise you it is a much better engine in every way. It feels way quicker, especially off the mark, and pulls more strongly across the rev range. Despite the extra weight over the Calibra, my SRi at least feels like it goes much harder. I love it!
Its also quite possible that it got too expensive for Holden, as the 2.2 is not available in any other market [except in the TwinTop]. That makes those of us who bought one a very rare breed. It would be interesting to know how many they sold in the 18 months or so they had it. On a global scale, it is probably more exclusive than an Aston-Martin.

cbrmale
29th June 2008, 04:26 PM
I've only seen three other SRi 2.2 hatches in Canberra, so it's an exclusive car indeed! On one hand it was quite expensive for 3kw extra power, but on the other hand the extra torque and smoothness of the 2.2 made it a special motor. I can understand why it didn't sell, but I also suspect that if more prospective purchasers had test-driven the 2.2, more would have been sold.

For me, the engine is the best part of my 2.2. It's effortless, and liquid-smooth from 2,000 and above. And economical too, which is important these days.

USC
29th June 2008, 10:37 PM
They aren't getting rid of the Astra. Man you talk some shit.

Its just a regular upgrade to the models to make the more competitive as smaller cars is what's selling now, so Holden wants a bigger slice of the pie.

I was saying..I "think" they are trying to sell this current model out quicker by offering better value..since the new one will be coming soon.

** edited for the child on this forum

bones
30th June 2008, 12:36 AM
In any event, I think the new one is still at least 18 months away, probably more like two years. After all, the refresh is less than a year old. I also think they would want to be a little quicker in filling out the range next time, I think that stalled the Astra's sales momentum as much as anything.

Vectracious
2nd July 2008, 12:52 AM
:wall:

and back to the 1.8 SRi Astra.............

cbrmale
3rd July 2008, 06:43 PM
:wall:

and back to the 1.8 SRi Astra.............

A sheep in wolf's clothing

KingOfAstras
3rd July 2008, 07:38 PM
What's wrong with the 1.8's :(... your all so mean.

USC
3rd July 2008, 11:56 PM
yeh exactly..just be content. in the uk/france/germany, they get 1.6L wagons;)

cbrmale
6th July 2008, 07:45 PM

They drive differently in Europe. It's all congested cities and motorway cruising; they don't have to climb steep hills and overtake b-doubles on the Newell Highway.

Put four people in a 1.8, some luggage, it's a hot day so turn the airconditioning on, give it a northerly headwind and it'll struggle to maintain cruise speed, let alone overtake anything! The SRi 2.2 will get past quite nicely, and get up the hills without too much trouble either.

Vectracious
6th July 2008, 10:24 PM

Our Opel Meriva that we had in France was a 1.6 - in 5th it was revving at about 2500!!!!!! My Veccy was geared like that and it was a 2.2!!! Great for doing 130 on the French motorways, but not much else.

USC
7th July 2008, 01:40 AM
They drive differently in Europe. It's all congested cities and motorway cruising; they don't have to climb steep hills and overtake b-doubles on the Newell Highway.

Put four people in a 1.8, some luggage, it's a hot day so turn the airconditioning on, give it a northerly headwind and it'll struggle to maintain cruise speed, let alone overtake anything! The SRi 2.2 will get past quite nicely, and get up the hills without too much trouble either.

just need to lose some weight...:p