PDA

View Full Version : cars that don't live up to their hype

lithium
24th June 2008, 04:36 PM
for me it has to be the porsche boxster. a mate took me in a ride in his, and i was very very disappointed in the performance. i was expecting a lot more from the yellow striped badge...

in all honesty my little SRi felt pokier, and for the price of a boxster i could have a different colour SRi for every day of the week! :)

that said leather seats are nice, the refinement was excellent, road noise and vibration was minimal. there was a surprising amount of exhaust drone for such a high-end car, possibly due to the soft top

but acceleration seemed absolutely dismal! (however it is possible it was just my mates driving skills :D)

has anyone else had this sort of experience?

btm
24th June 2008, 04:38 PM
Nissan GT-R

kidding :p

95' GSI
24th June 2008, 04:42 PM
Could have just been your mate lol.
I've been in one for like 15-20 minutes and it was all good :)
Maybe you drive it next time :p

lithium
24th June 2008, 05:05 PM
Could have just been your mate lol.
I've been in one for like 15-20 minutes and it was all good :)
Maybe you drive it next time :p

i'll be sure to ask. he was paying my Barina out when i first bought it so i demoed what it could do and now i think my driving scares him. no idea why ;)

besides when i went for my ride he complained i left fingerprints on the window :D

95' GSI
24th June 2008, 05:11 PM
i'll be sure to ask. he was paying my Barina out when i first bought it so i demoed what it could do and now i think my driving scares him. no idea why ;)

besides when i went for my ride he complained i left fingerprints on the window :D

lol shame on you for touching his babies window :p
If your driving in your barina scares him I dont think theres much of a chance of him letting you drive lol, sorry.

Calibrated
24th June 2008, 05:15 PM
BMW Z3. for sure. i hate that car so much. slow, horrible to drive.
and the old A-Class mercedes has to be one of the most unsafe feeling cars ever made. i felt safer in a mk1 golf. and thats says alot

USC
24th June 2008, 05:21 PM
BMW 120i Hatch Auto...VERY SLOW car

2006 Merc E class (E230 or something it was)...super buggy auto transmission

Maplassie
24th June 2008, 09:19 PM
VW Golf. Any Model, any Year. LOOOOL!

poita
24th June 2008, 09:30 PM
spoken like a blue blooded opel lover :p

Calibrated
24th June 2008, 10:57 PM
hahahahaha..

totally agree

USC
24th June 2008, 11:20 PM
ok one answer to sum it up: "anything out there that moves and is not Opel"

Tigra
25th June 2008, 12:40 AM
Holden Rodeo Caged Trucks; Because gigantic teddies wont fit in the cage.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/Tigra_06/Tigra/Random/wg25.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/Tigra_06/Tigra/Random/wg25_inyaget.jpg

Calibrated
25th June 2008, 12:46 AM
Holden Rodeo Caged Trucks; Because gigantic teddies wont fit in the cage.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/Tigra_06/Tigra/Random/wg25.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/Tigra_06/Tigra/Random/wg25_inyaget.jpg
bwuahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhaha
where did you find that? LOL

Tigra
25th June 2008, 12:48 AM
bwuahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhaha
where did you find that? LOL

It's been getting around from place to place. Did a search on google years ago and found it, just kept it ever since. It's gold!

Apex
25th June 2008, 06:50 AM
Lancia Delta HF Integrally, Nissan Skyline R33 GTR, Ford Falcon BA/F, Holden Commodore VE.

I could construct a huge list of disappointments due to media hype and I now refuse to drive some cars due to fair of ruining perceived greatness. Kind of like watching the Goonies or Robocop as an adult, it just wasn’t the same!

It’s great when the opposite happens though, I have driven a few that slipped under the radar and were majorly underrated.

Wraith
25th June 2008, 08:31 AM
Not living up to the hype IMHO the VXR....flame me if you will, but that was the case for me !

On the opposite side of the fence, exceeding everybodies expectations and delivering way over the hype, the new R35 GT-R ;)

Apex
25th June 2008, 08:47 AM
Not living up to the hype IMHO the VXR....flame me if you will, but that was the case for me !

On the opposite side of the fence, exceeding everybodies expectations and delivering way over the hype, the new R35 GT-R ;)

Was the VXR really hyped though?

The GTR has tones of hype, it started in 05, every magazine has been harping on about it, I would hardly say it has been underestimated.

Have you driven one yet? From what I can imagine its going to be like a IT technician in the sense it just gets the job done without emotion or drama.

Wraith
25th June 2008, 09:26 AM
Was the VXR really hyped though?

The GTR has tones of hype, it started in 05, every magazine has been harping on about it, I would hardly say it has been underestimated.

Have you driven one yet? From what I can imagine its going to be like a IT technician in the sense it just gets the job done without emotion or drama.

The VXR had plenty of hype if your around the Opel scene, like on this forum for eg. not so much from other World sources...I was expecting alot more from it, especially considering the 'initial' purchase price and then comparing that to other hot hatches around...that was my main gripe with it...now though the price has dropped (or rather you can get one for thousands less)to a more reasonable ask for what you actually get, just my opinion though.

Obviously never driven the GT-R yet, hopefully will by years end, as I'm going to Japan later this year, but yes, this car has recieved mega hype years ahead of its release and some of it has been negative not positive and still is, not everyone has been favourable and lots said it wouldn't deliver what Nissan claims it will !!! IMO most was from biased reviewers, they know better, but just can't accept it... :rolleyes:

All you have to do is go to competitors car forums, eg: Porsche and Corvettes to see this, they Grossly Underestimated it, but as said it's lived up to or exceeded the hype and made believers out of non believers...lots of ex Corvette and 911 owners on those forums with their new pride n joy, the R35 :)

As for the what it drives like, we'll have to wait n see...too sterile ?? maybe for some, but I reckon most will like and embrace it, alot of newer supercars drive in a similar electronically controlled state, so it's a case of like it or lump it, as this is the way of the future and these features will eventually trickle down through to 'normal' cars too ;)

rjastra
25th June 2008, 09:49 AM
for me it has to be the porsche boxster. a mate took me in a ride in his, and i was very very disappointed in the performance. i was expecting a lot more from the yellow striped badge...

What model Boxster was it? 2.5, 2.7, S?? And did he give it a bit round corners? Because thats what its made for. Not for the traffic light grand prix :)

poita
25th June 2008, 09:50 AM
ford focus i drove was a bit meh, felt so cheap.

sadavidsriturbo
25th June 2008, 09:58 AM
Id have to agree with TTEETT having swapped my car with my mates VE SS for the week i would have to say i was very disappointed with the overall package especially the sloppy gearbox .............

Greg K
25th June 2008, 11:01 AM
The VXR had plenty of hype if your around the Opel scene, like on this forum for eg. not so much from other World sources...I was expecting alot more from it, especially considering the 'initial' purchase price and then comparing that to other hot hatches around...that was my main gripe with it...now though the price has dropped (or rather you can get one for thousands less)to a more reasonable ask for what you actually get, just my opinion though.

well the only Opel scene/forum that i know of in Australia is this one. and yes being the "flagship" Opel, it has received quite a fair bit of exposure on here, but i do think that people do get excited when they see one on the road.

Other than that, i dont believe the VXR received as much publicity here in Australia as it could have, and maybe for a good reason too. ie keep the car exclusive, or to control supply/demand. when i saw it at the motor show a couple of years ago, the Arden Blue VXR was tucked away in a corner, as though it was a late inclusion into the show.

for me, the VXR was never hyped up here in Oz, so had nothing to live up to except compete against the gti, xr5 and mps. i think id does a pretty good job too. and as you said, are becoming more appealing now that they have come down in price

lithium
25th June 2008, 11:50 AM
What model Boxster was it? 2.5, 2.7, S?? And did he give it a bit round corners? Because thats what its made for. Not for the traffic light grand prix :)

it was a 987 2.7, or as i tell him, a poverty porsche :D
we didn't go around any corners fast, that might be what i was missing out on. i'll tell him not to be such a wuss with his car next time i'm in it!

then it will be the last ride for me :p

lithium
25th June 2008, 11:51 AM

have you had the chance to take one for a drive mate?
is the torque steer as bad as the reviews say?

immenotu
25th June 2008, 11:56 AM
Ive had a drive of a VXR and loved it!!! Couldnt wipe the grin off my face :D It more than lived up to the expectations I had of it.

As for torque steer, I didnt feel any more than what my Corsa has, which is next to nothing.

gman
25th June 2008, 04:16 PM
Obviously never driven the GT-R yet

I have..It's worth the hype, trust me... :D

Seriously quick in a straight line. Fantastic brakes. The ATESSA is even better this time around. The semi manual gearbox is excellent. Sounds amazing. Tons of grip, however totally controllable if you want to hang the ass out..

Downsides...

I really feels ALL its weight and can be slow to turn in because of it..

Steering is a bit wooden, not as much feed back as others I've driven (which funnily enough includes the Boxster S, that is a great car to drive fast through the corners even if it isn't the quickest thing in a straight line)..

I'm sure the 20" tyres which will wear VERY quickly are going to cost a BOMB to replace...

Aside from all that, its a huge jump forward from the R34 GTR (which I have driven too)...

R35 is an amazing piece of kit...Can;t wait for the V-Spec to come out..More HP and rumored to be 300kg lighter..Now thats what I'm taking about ;)

poita
25th June 2008, 04:34 PM
lucky bastard

btm
25th June 2008, 04:44 PM
lucky bastard

indeed. very jealous gman!

Calibrated
25th June 2008, 04:56 PM

funnily enough, i agree with wraith..

BUT. i think it was spoilt by owning a modded turbo cali...
if i were to have gotten out of my n/a cali or any other car into the VXR i think it would have exceeded my expectations. dont get me wrong, i do love the VXR. everything about it is great, much better than the GTi and the Focus imo. i just expected it to be a bit quicker. and i felt like i was driving a bus sitting so high up. LOL.then again, my ass sits like 150mm off the ground.

Maplassie
25th June 2008, 05:32 PM
Aside from all that, its a huge jump forward from the R34 GTR (which I have driven too)...

You are on my official "ppl I hate the most in the world" list

gman
25th June 2008, 05:38 PM
lucky bastard

indeed. very jealous gman!

;)

One of the benefits of living in Hong Kong with the Zhuhai Circuit in China so close and friends with fast cars....

USC
25th June 2008, 07:07 PM
Anyone watched current affairs tonight?? they reviewed the reliability of european cars etc... and said VW, Merc, Fiat etc are all rubbish. Best is japanese (toyota in particular) and Aussie cars (cos they are very simple).

I think the author is also selling his book..cant remember what its called (lemon guide or something)...damn...but should be interesting. they have them at borders in the car mag. section...it looks like a yellow pages directory but the cover is black. tells u all problems/reliability etc of 99% of cars/suvs around.

Calibrated
25th June 2008, 08:00 PM
Anyone watched current affairs tonight?? they reviewed the reliability of european cars etc... and said VW, Merc, Fiat etc are all rubbish. Best is japanese (toyota in particular) and Aussie cars (cos they are very simple).

I think the author is also selling his book..cant remember what its called (lemon guide or something)...damn...but should be interesting. they have them at borders in the car mag. section...it looks like a yellow pages directory but the cover is black. tells u all problems/reliability etc of 99% of cars/suvs around.
LOL. more biased reports from ACA. surprise surprise.

rjastra
25th June 2008, 08:04 PM
it was a 987 2.7, or as i tell him, a poverty porsche :D
we didn't go around any corners fast, that might be what i was missing out on. i'll tell him not to be such a wuss with his car next time i'm in it!

then it will be the last ride for me :p

A mate gave me a ride in his mum's (she is 70+) Boxster S manual. You understand what its built for when its given some stick in the corners.

rjastra
25th June 2008, 08:07 PM

We all knew that. We make allowances for "issues" in a European car simply because of the way they make us feel. I had a Pug 306 Gti-6 that numberous niggly problems. All were promptly fixed by the dealer (they knew how to!) and the pleasure driving the car far outweighed those problems.

A problem with a japanese car though can really ruin the ownership experience. You don't expect it in a japanese car and are less likely to put up with it. They also seem less able to fix any problems that arise.

USC
25th June 2008, 08:44 PM
We all knew that. We make allowances for "issues" in a European car simply because of the way they make us feel. I had a Pug 306 Gti-6 that numberous niggly problems. All were promptly fixed by the dealer (they knew how to!) and the pleasure driving the car far outweighed those problems.

A problem with a japanese car though can really ruin the ownership experience. You don't expect it in a japanese car and are less likely to put up with it. They also seem less able to fix any problems that arise.

u could be right there...but toyota dealers are usually really good with fixing issues.
He did mention that jap cars , toyota, though boring is a really good drive.

I reckon one of the worst european cars would have to be Rover (414, 416 etc etc).

I would much rather have a cheap to maintain reliable drive than a superb european beauty that has endless electrical problems...one of my mate`s Jag is going crazy at the moment...mainly Dash computer & other electrical components and nobody can fix it properly...

DirtyHarry
25th June 2008, 08:45 PM
i have to agree with the aca show presenter. euro cars just dont seem to be as reliable as toyota's particulary.

xplosv57
25th June 2008, 08:53 PM
I agree with alot of the cars submitted..

First off Boxster, yep i drove one a few years back, was so excited, and after driving it was almost in tears at how disappointing it was, plus the fact that the auto shifter came off in my hand, not such great build quality either!!!

Z3, unless there's an M motor under the bonnet, they are probably one of the worst BMW's ever!!

120i, yes very slow USC even though you didn't believe me when i said the same thing about the same engined but heavier 320i!!

VXR, still haven't driven one yet, but went in one as a passenger, with a full exhaust and was awfully disappointed, have been in many a TS/AH SRi-T and really couldn't tell the difference in performance, only better thing was the comfy Recaro's IMHO!!!!

Other disappointments i can think of at the moment....

BA/VZ 6 cylinders
BMW X3
Any BMW 4 cylinder
Mazda 6 4 cyl
Chrysler 300C
Proton Persona

I have heaps more, can't really think of them at the moment but will update the list when i can think of more!!!

95' GSI
25th June 2008, 08:56 PM
Other disappointments i can think of at the moment....

BA/VZ 6 cylinders
BMW X3
Any BMW 4 cylinder
Mazda 6 4 cyl
Chrysler 300C
Proton Persona

Whats wrong with 300C's?

xplosv57
25th June 2008, 09:02 PM
Whats wrong with 300C's?

Well i drove a 300C with the 5.7 Hemi, the engine was fairly lifeless, the ride was very spongy, and when it was time to take a corner :eek: !!

Then there was the suprisingly tiny and cheap interior.....

I wasn't expecting it to be a track car or anything, but driving my 8 yr old Calais all day, i expected the 300C to be alot better than it, but would much prefer my car in performance and handling!!

I do hear however that the SRT-8 is a much better thing, so may have to organise one of those to take for a burn!!!

95' GSI
25th June 2008, 09:04 PM
Well i drove a 300C with the 5.7 Hemi, the engine was fairly lifeless, the ride was very spongy, and when it was time to take a corner :eek: !!

Then there was the suprisingly tiny and cheap interior.....

I wasn't expecting it to be a track car or anything, but driving my 8 yr old Calais all day, i expected the 300C to be alot better than it, but would much prefer my car in performance and handling!!

I do hear however that the SRT-8 is a much better thing, so may have to organise one of those to take for a burn!!!

lol the SRT-8's are pretty good but I like the 300C so you may not like it.
One of my parents mates has one of both and he lent them to us for a week each, whilst he was in the city and didnt need them.

USC
25th June 2008, 09:07 PM
Whats wrong with 300C's?

Everything...where should I start? One of my mates owns one.

1.VERY UGLY dials!

2. Engine is VERY OUT OF date..who uses pushrod these days??Guess what, the 300c does.

3. Ugly front grille

4. Feels heavy and not refined

5. Interiors looks like crap

6. Overall shape is boring...its just big and thats it.

xplosv57
25th June 2008, 09:09 PM
lol the SRT-8's are pretty good but I like the 300C so you may not like it.
One of my parents mates has one of both and he lent them to us for a week each, whilst he was in the city and didnt need them.

Oh don't get me wrong, i love the look of them so American, best mate and i loved them since their release, but he went to buy one and came back with the same comments i had when i had driven one a few months earlier, and he didn't buy it in the end was so disappointed!!!

95' GSI
Everything...where should I start? One of my mates owns one.

1.VERY UGLY dials!

2. Engine is VERY OUT OF date..who uses pushrod these days??Guess what, the 300c does.

3. Ugly front grille

4. Feels heavy and not refined

5. Interiors looks like crap

6. Overall shape is boring...its just big and thats it.

Eh I like big.
Im a caddy type girl :p
Can get different grilles, some are really good and I have to agree the stock is kinda urgh

USC
120i, yes very slow USC even though you didn't believe me when i said the same thing about the same engined but heavier 320i!!

haha...I did believe it was slow but is still a nice car compared to the 120i Hatch. The 320i faster than a Honda Accord Euro (new model: 0-100 in over 9.5 secs)...haha

xplosv57
25th June 2008, 09:14 PM
haha...I did believe it was slow but is still a nice car compared to the 120i Hatch. The 320i faster than a Honda Accord Euro (new model: 0-100 in over 9.5 secs)...haha

Never said it wasn't faster than an Accord Euro..........:confused:

Caitlin, i love my big American cars too, sad thing is for me, the 300C felt like one of those big old school cars just in a modern bodyshell!!!

USC
25th June 2008, 09:21 PM
Eh I like big.
Im a caddy type girl :p
Can get different grilles, some are really good and I have to agree the stock is kinda urgh

do you like push rods too?:p

USC
25th June 2008, 09:24 PM
Never said it wasn't faster than an Accord Euro..........:confused:

haha...that comment was not meant for you..just a general one.

anyways...yes they are slow.

Dowie
25th June 2008, 10:49 PM
u could be right there...but toyota dealers are usually really good with fixing issues.

Ive got to disagree with you on that one.
My Moms car has had problems since we bought her Aurion.
Rear tail light went, they refused to fix it (after one week..) First set of tyres wore down after the first 3000km's, refused to compensate for any of the costs of new ones, claims my mother drove it the wrong way (after 3000km's and only a daily driver to work and drop my sister off at school, i can clearly see which area they are pulling that one from), interior leather seats are a piece of sh**, rattling noises inside already, and i can go on.

Maybe its just our local dealer, but considering we've tried to take it to Head of Toyota QLD, the most they can offer us is to go halves in the cost of new tyres, labour to fix rattling, fix the tail light etc i think its a bit pathetic from Toyota for just small bits like that and attention to detail in a new car right off the production line...At the end of the day its not the cost, but just we expected more from a professional and well established company like Toyota..

But thats just me. I'm sure lots of others have had no hastles :D

USC
25th June 2008, 11:16 PM
Ive got to disagree with you on that one.
My Moms car has had problems since we bought her Aurion.
Rear tail light went, they refused to fix it (after one week..) First set of tyres wore down after the first 3000km's, refused to compensate for any of the costs of new ones, claims my mother drove it the wrong way (after 3000km's and only a daily driver to work and drop my sister off at school, i can clearly see which area they are pulling that one from), interior leather seats are a piece of sh**, rattling noises inside already, and i can go on.

Maybe its just our local dealer, but considering we've tried to take it to Head of Toyota QLD, the most they can offer us is to go halves in the cost of new tyres, labour to fix rattling, fix the tail light etc i think its a bit pathetic from Toyota for just small bits like that and attention to detail in a new car right off the production line...At the end of the day its not the cost, but just we expected more from a professional and well established company like Toyota..

But thats just me. I'm sure lots of others have had no hastles :D

thats why I said "usually"..there are exceptions of course. Aurion is an aussie built car..of course its gona be sh*t..lol....:D . You cant get worst than Holden dealers though.
tail light could be just globe.
rattling..all cars have that mate..my sri-t was not quiet..some have it more than others
tyres...now thats a strange problem...never heard of tyres wearing out after 3000kms:eek: ..even the cheapest brand would last longer than that.

also..it depends on how you speak to the dealer..I got Holden to fix a lot of the issues with my astra but their workmanship was shit as.

Wraith
26th June 2008, 09:28 AM
have you had the chance to take one for a drive mate?
is the torque steer as bad as the reviews say?

Yes I have :)

I test drove one not long after they were introduced here and was dissapointed - expected much more performance than what it had, expected much more kit than what it had, expected much better 'on the limit' handling than what it had, in this regard if you take one there, your on your own !!! and then there was the un-negotiable price of 48k+ drive away at the time, no thankyou, I'll look at something else...these days though, if you score one for just over or just under 40k drive away, that's more like it, for what you actually get...

As mentioned by Calibrated, I too am coming from a long line of hi-po cars and probably expected too much, I can see how if you've never had a performance car, you may be taken by one :)

Wraith
26th June 2008, 09:35 AM
I have..It's worth the hype, trust me... :D

Seriously quick in a straight line. Fantastic brakes. The ATESSA is even better this time around. The semi manual gearbox is excellent. Sounds amazing. Tons of grip, however totally controllable if you want to hang the ass out..

Downsides...

I really feels ALL its weight and can be slow to turn in because of it..

Steering is a bit wooden, not as much feed back as others I've driven (which funnily enough includes the Boxster S, that is a great car to drive fast through the corners even if it isn't the quickest thing in a straight line)..

I'm sure the 20" tyres which will wear VERY quickly are going to cost a BOMB to replace...

R35 is an amazing piece of kit...Can;t wait for the V-Spec to come out..More HP and rumored to be 300kg lighter..Now thats what I'm taking about ;)

As others have said, lucky you and congrats :)

Hopefully I'll get a chance to do the same later this year...

I too can't wait to see how the V-Spec pans out, it's already posted a 7:22 :eek: at the ring...and they're aiming for a 7:19...phenominal stuff.

It's all round over the top, but the price tag will be immense, around 240k AUD is what I've read ' if ' it ever comes here ??

I'd be happy with the base model and minor mods, it'll be just as quick/fast as the stock V-Spec :)

OPC
26th June 2008, 12:51 PM

hahahahaha..

totally agree

;)

Maplassie
26th June 2008, 07:25 PM
As others have said, lucky you and congrats :)

Hopefully I'll get a chance to do the same later this year...

I too can't wait to see how the V-Spec pans out, it's already posted a 7:22 :eek: at the ring...and they're aiming for a 7:19...phenominal stuff.

It's all round over the top, but the price tag will be immense, around 240k AUD is what I've read ' if ' it ever comes here ??

I'd be happy with the base model and minor mods, it'll be just as quick/fast as the stock V-Spec :)

I hate all ppl who have ever driven an R33, R34 and Nissan GT-R

USC
27th June 2008, 12:06 AM

why? Its not a big deal.

Wraith
27th June 2008, 08:47 AM

LOL, you can't hate me just yet then..... :D

I'll let you know when the hating can begin later this year :D :p

gman
27th June 2008, 12:56 PM
OK hate away...I've been lucky enough to drive them all. R32, R33, R34 and R35.. :)

Wraith
1st July 2008, 09:26 PM
OK hate away...I've been lucky enough to drive them all. R32, R33, R34 and R35.. :)

You lucky bastard :)

I certainly don't hate you, I envy you Gman :D