PDA

View Full Version : They dont make soundstreem like they used 2

sadavidsriturbo
24th June 2008, 10:50 AM
Ok here goes having paid around $6000 for my equipment and $2500 for my install i tend to find myself a little disappointed the reasons being:

1st issue,Pioneer in dash t.v. head unit something blew not much apparently common problem now could have sent it away to pioneer and they would have fixed it 3 week wait **** that GT auto sound (GT George and Theo ) being the good people that they are knew what the problem was and fixed it for me.

2nd issue, about 3 weeks into having my stereo my sub amp blew which Soundstreem happily replaced no questions asked and again Theo having to do the work poor guy had to take apart the whole boot installation just to get to that amp (approx 2hours)

3rd issue, probably another 2 months in the same amp blew this time we were wondering why?? So Theo took it apart and what happened was the mosfets had cracked on about 4-5 of them after advising Soundstreem they wanted to take it to some back yarder so he could have a look and install a new amp again(The reason for this Theo wanted them to pay him some money as its around a 2 hour job as my whole system has to come out and the tight ****ers did not want to give him money this other guy wanted there business and said he would do it for free) the issue being the amps are poorly designed and had they replaced it give it another 2 months and it would have happened again so Theo off his own back soldered the mosfets and reinforced the board as they have a little play in them problem solved

4th issue, so with that amp holding properly about 3 weeks later the speaker amp has done the same thing (this amp located at the top was easy to get to just a cover) so again Theo soldered the mosfets and bobs ya dads brother working again:D

5th issue the speaker amp being longer than the sub amp has a little bit of flex in it so what do ya know about 2 months later being last week its shit its self again so i bring the car in yesterday for Theo to work on he soldered the other mosfets (mind you the ones that he fixed are fine and not going anywhere) i get a phone call come and pick up your car so there we are listening to it as loud as it can go for around 15 mins and the amp this time blew properly smoke /smell ect not happy

So thats 4 days of having no car thanks to Soundstreem and probably close to 5 weeks of no music having had Soundstreem products for my past install going back 6 years ago i did not have one single thing go wrong my mate has them in his car now and still not a problem i tell you now Soundstreem amps are rubbish and i do not recommend them to anyone i am trying to get refunded on both so i can purchase some other brand but also will end up with a bitsa system now and have to change my install F:mad:ck you soundstreem not happy

JohnBu
24th June 2008, 11:09 AM
is this soundstream amp made in the US of A?

seems like cost cutting to me.

Not sure if its still applicable, as I havent been into car stereos for ages, but SS have always tended to run very hot.

damn I want a stereo again.. haven't had oen since I pulled it out.. needed the boot space since I now only have access to one car.

I can a Phoenix Gold Son of Frank'ampstein & MS2250 sitting in the wardrobe @ my parents place :(

PaulyJ
24th June 2008, 11:10 AM
My face went all shades of red/pruple/blue reading that.
Mate, i actually feel sorry for you. Haveing spent all that $$$, you'd expect top quality stuff.
What have Soundstream said in regards to it?

SSS_Hoon
24th June 2008, 11:18 AM
LoL.

Typical.

Soundsteam is not made in the USA anymore AFAIK.

there seems to be alot of this going around though relaly annoying.

Do your amps have decent air circulation around them though, are they hard mounted to the MDF?

Main thing is that they are fixing them and getting it done for you, your lucky that they are actually doing it and not wanting to investigate further.

I feel your pain as i have no decent music for the last 3 years.

SSS_Hoon

EL BURITO
24th June 2008, 11:19 AM
i am trying to get refunded on both so i can purchase some other brand but also will end up with a bitsa system now

Thats not really that much of a promblem as each company do there own bits beter than others

But for the money Soundstream costs would would expect a quilty product witch has not been provided.

I have always stayed away from the soundsteam product because it seems more show than go.

I would like to think you will get a refund but in reality it is more than likly they will just replace and then if they have to do it again accuse you of abusing the product. In no way that I am saying you are but read your warranty card closly. Least u have the installer on your side though. hopfully that should go a bit futher

sadavidsriturbo
24th June 2008, 11:38 AM
My face went all shades of red/pruple/blue reading that.
Mate, i actually feel sorry for you. Haveing spent all that $$$, you'd expect top quality stuff.
What have Soundstream said in regards to it?

Not much after yesterdays episode we came to the conclusion that it just going to keep on happening, until we solder every thing on both amps again or move them.
Unfortunatly they wont fit anywhere else?? So we are going to go for some smaller JL audio amps same price but better out put and quality and fit them under the front seats.
We kinda told soundstreem to shove it after they wanted to take it somewhere else
(Gt autosound being the guys they recommended do the install in Adelaide and The best might i add)
Because of the money aspect they wanted me to take it to ang's audio
Comparing the customer cars and quality of the installs on his web site to the cars on Gts there is now way i would ever consider it,
Not to mention Theo put the set up in and knows how to take it out i could almost guarantee they would break things ect. So that being sorted and still all under warranty we are just waiting on a reply as he only called them this morning. It should be fine if not i might have to seek legal advise maybe? Never been in a situation like this i have had things break but not ten times over:(

sadavidsriturbo
24th June 2008, 11:49 AM
LoL.

Typical.

Soundsteam is not made in the USA anymore AFAIK.

there seems to be alot of this going around though relaly annoying.

Do your amps have decent air circulation around them though, are they hard mounted to the MDF?

Main thing is that they are fixing them and getting it done for you, your lucky that they are actually doing it and not wanting to investigate further.

I feel your pain as i have no decent music for the last 3 years.

SSS_Hoon

Exactly dam outsourcing!!
Yeah i have a fan for each amp and also they a mounted to the mdf with Dyna mat behind them and rubber washers.

The poor design and length of these things is the problem alltho i have had a alpine v12 amp some time ago just as long as my top one mounted to just a sub box with screws and no rubber washers or fans or anything and again no problems:rolleyes:

The thing is its not Soundstreem that has fixed things it Gt autosound.
Soundstreem they know there products have gone down hill because of the lack of sales and people who stock there products i should have looked into things a little better instead of just thinking they would still be of good quality

Calibrated
24th June 2008, 11:55 AM
Soundstream fell to shit years ago. only the Tarantula products are remotely worth anything. and still overpriced.

JL Audio FTMFW!!!!

sadavidsriturbo
24th June 2008, 11:56 AM
Thats not really that much of a promblem as each company do there own bits beter than others

But for the money Soundstream costs would would expect a quilty product witch has not been provided.

I have always stayed away from the soundsteam product because it seems more show than go.

I would like to think you will get a refund but in reality it is more than likly they will just replace and then if they have to do it again accuse you of abusing the product. In no way that I am saying you are but read your warranty card closly. Least u have the installer on your side though. hopfully that should go a bit futher

The installer and the guys i got the stuff thru are on my side if they just replace the 2 amps the guy i got them thru will take em back and i can get something else so it should be ok hope fully

But in regards to the bitsa i wanted it to look good as well
not half and half i know what you mean and if it ment spending a few extra $$$ to get something to do the same job i was prepared to do so but shit happens

sadavidsriturbo
24th June 2008, 11:59 AM
Soundstream fell to shit years ago. only the Tarantula products are remotely worth anything. and still overpriced.

JL Audio FTMFW!!!!

Mine are all tarantula not the top of the line is it A class or something but yeah all over priced but i would have just been happy if it worked ........

SSS_Hoon
24th June 2008, 12:18 PM
A bitsa system means nothing other then the fact there will be different brands everywhere, wont mean that it wont work as well as its with other brands.

Hell my system was a complete bitsa in all its guises lol.

Hope u can switch them for what something else that will work.

I to had my amps hard mounted to my sub box and it was hitting 145db range and never had a prob with any of them.

SSS_Hoon

SSS_Hoon
24th June 2008, 12:19 PM
A bitsa system means nothing other then the fact there will be different brands everywhere, wont mean that it wont work as well as its with other brands.

Hell my system was a complete bitsa in all its guises lol.

Hope u can switch them for what something else that will work.

I to had my amps hard mounted to my sub box and it was hitting 145db range and never had a prob with any of them.

SSS_Hoon

Apex
24th June 2008, 12:23 PM
Ok here goes having paid around $6000 for my equipment and $2500 for my install

I was scared at that line and stopped reading!

SSS_Hoon
24th June 2008, 12:26 PM
I was scared at that line and stopped reading!

lol what part the 6k for the gear or the 2.5k for the install.

the install part is what got me, but after seeing it i can understand.

SSS_Hoon

Greg K
24th June 2008, 12:32 PM
thats not good mate! you pay top dollar, and so you should expect top quality.
im not much of a stereo guru, but i have a rockford fosgate amp and sub and it seriously sounds unreal.. couldnt fault their products.

hope you gt it sorted out soon. also, by soldering the mosfets, does this void your warranty with soundstream??

SSS_Hoon
24th June 2008, 12:43 PM
thats not good mate! you pay top dollar, and so you should expect top quality.
im not much of a stereo guru, but i have a rockford fosgate amp and sub and it seriously sounds unreal.. couldnt fault their products.

hope you gt it sorted out soon. also, by soldering the mosfets, does this void your warranty with soundstream??

i think that was soundstreams fix for the problem.

SSS_Hoon

Keep'emRunning
24th June 2008, 12:46 PM
..and many ppl won't have a problem with most bitsa systems, but just because it sounds ok, doesn't necessarily mean all is well :)

Unfortunately there's no real standard (apart from general speaker impedances) when it comes to connecting gear up. A head unit from vendor A might work and sound fine by itself, but when connected up to another vendors amp (even by specific line out connectors) might sound crap, and shorten both units lifespans considerably. Or it might sound great, until something goes pop.

Voltages,impedances,inductances etc etc all really need to be matched to get good efficiency and the best quality sound.. and thats why if anyone browses through a particular manufacturers range of products, there's no coincidence that inputs/outputs/power specs are all very similiar over that particular range. Good audio installers should know this and advise against mismatched components in advance (but many don't, they just want the $$$)

Even cheap cables/connectors can cause probs, although whether it's worth shelling out megabucks for 10mm thick monster audio cable is debatable! :)

My .2c worth (having had to study all this crap in EE1)

Greg K
24th June 2008, 01:14 PM
i think that was soundstreams fix for the problem.

SSS_Hoon

i thought GT Auto sound (ie the installers) fixed it by soldering to save soundstream replaing it.

sadavidsriturbo
24th June 2008, 02:17 PM
i thought GT Auto sound (ie the installers) fixed it by soldering to save soundstream replaing it.

Yeah GT did solder it all but this was also soundstreems soultion to the problem forgot to mention they wanted me to send it to them so his board guy could check it out but again probably would have been waiting 2 or so weeks so someone could do the same thing GT being the recommended installer for soundstreem in Adelaide it has not voided my warranty if i had someone else do it it would have ...

sadavidsriturbo
24th June 2008, 02:22 PM

SSS_Hoon

Its all the Dyna mat that you cant see front doors rear 1/4s and hatch and under the subs it is all fiber glassed probably $500 in just Dyna mat also the install price included all the wiring and ect i just supplied head unit,front and rear speaker, 2 amps,2 subs and one cap pricey but also reasonable

Apex
24th June 2008, 02:53 PM

SSS_Hoon

The total cost, it looks impressive though.

It sucks you spend so much on this audio gear then it stuffs’ out, I have had similar experiences with the new Pioneer stuff, one of the two amps I brought recently stuffed out and then when I finally got it replaced the source pre outs failed.

The gear it replaced (earthquake/JBL) still works fine and has never gone wrong and it was run of the mill purchased in the mid nineties.

I run Kicker now and its great.

sadavidsriturbo
24th June 2008, 03:00 PM
The total cost, it looks impressive though.

It sucks you spend so much on this audio gear then it stuffs’ out, I have had similar experiences with the new Pioneer stuff, one of the two amps I brought recently stuffed out and then when I finally got it replaced the source pre outs failed.

The gear it replaced (earthquake/JBL) still works fine and has never gone wrong and it was run of the mill purchased in the mid nineties.

I run Kicker now and its great.

Why thank you...... It does suck which i why i thought id vent a little anger on here and let everyone know just in case anyone was thinking about going soundstreem but i must say when it is working it is fantastic:)

oh yeah nice car you have 2:clap:

sadavidsriturbo
27th June 2008, 01:40 PM
The outcome peeps.................

Soundstreem offered to upgrade me from mine being tarantula theme up to tarantula series for free but due to the size of the amps i am still going to encounter the same problem so i have opted to get a refund and am now going for DLS the ultimate A6 mono and the ultimate A4/big 4, I am however going to have to pay for installation again but it should not be to much

sadavidsriturbo
27th June 2008, 06:02 PM
well i thought seems they have to tinker with the install i might as well get some new subs gonna get 2 DLS iridium 15s 600 watts rms 1000 peak so my soundstreems are up for sale if anyone is interested ill post them up when i get back from go karting :D