PDA

View Full Version : Cruise CB Radio!

freaktown
17th July 2004, 05:18 PM
Well, ive decided to buy myself a CB for future cruises!

Just looking for peoples opinions on the following CB! As i know absoloutely nothing about CB Radios! :roll:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/40f8d1c40783f4e0273fc0a87f9c0787/Product/View/D1778

Cheers,
James.

ultim8DTM5
17th July 2004, 05:50 PM
Uniden is the goods, I have an older model Uniden than that one. Myself and Stuey (Skippy_Corsa) bought ours at the same time and I've never had a problem with mine.

My dad has a hardwired Uniden in his Cruiser and uses it fairly often, no problems there either.

Mr Cali
17th July 2004, 06:24 PM
I bought that one a little while ago and it was totally useless, I returned it the next day. Spend a little more and get a better Uniden one.

ultim8DTM5
17th July 2004, 06:40 PM
Thats a much more direct opinion than mine, I'd see what model number mine is but I really cbf going down to the garage.

Mine looks like this but has a shorter aerial.
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/40f8d1c40783f4e0273fc0a87f9c0787/Product/View/D1748

Mr Cali: was yours a dud/lemon or just really poor?

freaktown
17th July 2004, 06:55 PM
see i don know alot about CB's but the one i listed i noticed the following things:

Mine: 3Km Line of sight Range
1000mW Transmit power
40 Channels!

ultim8DTM5: 3Km Line of sight Range
500mW Transmit power (Half of the other one)
40 channels!

i know ultim u said thats not urs, but like it, but the one i posted seems to have a better transmit power!

hmm, i dunno id go in and ask the guys who work there but there all retards! :screwy:

Cybulba
17th July 2004, 07:00 PM
i have purchased the first cb model on this thread. Found the major issue withthem is battery life. It seems to drain the power even if it is off. for e.g i put new batts into the cb used it for like ? 5mins then turned it off and left it for the night the next day used it for ?? 10 mins and the batterys died. So next batts i put in and used for 5 mins then turned cb off and removed the batts. next day used it for like 30 and batts still fine. so u have to take the batts out after each use as for some reason the cb drains it dead even if the unit is switched off. Also found the range was crappy with these units.

The second cb model is a better choice as i borrowed one off a friend for a bit and the 1 set of batts lasted ages and no issues with it and radio range was good also. Plus handfree option is avalible for it.

I would spend the money and get the 2nd model.

if u like i will sell u my spare small cb i have for cheap as u buy them in twin packs for lest then a the price of the second link.. just for one.

em
17th July 2004, 07:51 PM
I brought one from "super cheap auto" it is the only cb they have and it was crap... so yesterday I took it back for a refund and went to dick smith and brought the second one that is posted here, which works really well.
Davide, Sher and myself all have the uniden 40XR, and i have found this to be really good.

ultim8DTM5
17th July 2004, 11:20 PM
You're right Cybulba (Jason yeh?) I seem to think that I always leave it on! Ze batteries are always dead when I go to use it mon frere!

freaktown
18th July 2004, 11:04 PM
Okay well i just bought:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/40fa75a100f8222c2741c0a87f9c0717/Product/View/D1773

been testing them out today, very happy, they work really well!

Best $58 ive spent, in like umm 2 days lol

RK
19th July 2004, 09:48 AM
I bought the basic Uniden one from Harvey Norman. Costs $50. and it lasted the wisemens cruise, newcastle cruise, a few KKs cruises and the palmbeach/kk cruise. No problems so far.

corsaboy
19th July 2004, 09:52 AM
Uniden mate, can't go wrong

Anonymous
19th July 2004, 10:01 AM
or u can go the whole hog like me and but the uniden 1 that mounts in the car.....
1/2 uhf cb and 1/2 police scanner :twisted: :mrgreen:

freaktown
19th July 2004, 11:16 AM
wel because it was a 2 pack, i have a spare to lend people next time were out if they dont have one! :)

*Batteries not included!

ultim8DTM5
19th July 2004, 01:39 PM
or u can go the whole hog like me and but the uniden 1 that mounts in the car.....
1/2 uhf cb and 1/2 police scanner :twisted: :mrgreen:

Here in Sydney all the police are going digital...

Anonymous
19th July 2004, 01:41 PM
i'm prepared for that.... :wink:

doesn't phase me in the slightest :wink:

Vectracious
19th July 2004, 02:17 PM
Freaktown, I'm guessing you got the Uniden UH-036's if you got two for $58.

Do they have a plug in them so you can run them off the cigarette lighter?

ultim8DTM5
19th July 2004, 03:08 PM
I think they are AAA-only

freaktown
19th July 2004, 03:46 PM
Yea they only take AAA batteries, 3 of them, they have been in there since yesterday around 11am, and have not drained when they are turned off, and ive been using them heaps and havnt used half the power yet!

Nice little deal, there normally $80 for the 2 back but DSE are running a special!

Rhino
19th July 2004, 04:00 PM
Em, I bought the same one from Super Cheap.

Works well and 45 notes. What didn't you like about it? How's the Uniden better?

em
19th July 2004, 04:35 PM
Em, I bought the same one from Super Cheap.

Works well and 45 notes. What didn't you like about it? How's the Uniden better?

Well the talk button got stuck down on mine.... several times and this is annoying...
it was very muffled when hearing peoples responses
also even if I pushed the button in sometime people couldn’t hear me... :(
another problem was the range, it’s range is poor in difficult weather conditions….
and the uniden seems a lot clearer easier to hear, a bit bigger, but the button doesn’t get stuck down.......

Just my opinion...
It also cost me $50 and for the extra $20 that the uniden cost it was well worth it….

freaktown
19th July 2004, 04:53 PM
yea, ive been using mine and ive found that 3Km line of sight is perfect for cruising, and if theres a repeater near by (i live in lane cove and theres one right near by) your signal can reach brisbane lol!

Providing you can reach a repeater it will just keep jumping to repeaters, all on a small pocket sized, 2 for $58 uhf radio!

Very impressed!

Rhino
19th July 2004, 04:54 PM
also even if I pushed the button in sometime people couldn’t hear me...

God forbid noone could hear you :wink:

Cheers for the info.

mr_astra_retired
19th July 2004, 05:02 PM
also even if I pushed the button in sometime people couldn’t hear me...

God forbid noone could hear you :wink:

Cheers for the info.
Its ok Em has a loud voice !! jks miss

Vectracious
19th July 2004, 05:51 PM
How do you know if you have a repeater near you Freaktown???

I might go and buy this Uniden 2 for 1 as well!!!!

Bummer about the batteries - just have to get Ni-Cd recheargeables for it.....

Bob
19th July 2004, 06:00 PM
http://members.optusnet.com.au/bertkumar/IMGP0279.JPG

:wink:

freaktown
19th July 2004, 06:00 PM
whats a bummer about the batteries, they have lasted 2 days of pretty consistent use so far and i havnt even got the half battery sign yet!

There is a repeater near me somewhere near RPA Hospital, just google:

UHF Radio Repeaters Sydney

and you will get a comprehensive list and what channel they work on 1-40!

but you dont need repeaters for the cruises, as they work for about 3-4Km line of sight with out the need for any Repeater stations!

Its a good deal for $58 especially if you have a frined you drive with, or just have a spare to have incase of one breaking!

James.

Anonymous
19th July 2004, 06:45 PM
right on bruda!

go the UH-103 club! :wink:

Dregger
19th July 2004, 07:40 PM
gianni and i got a set of these about a year ago for cruises.....

they are good. but only issue is the batteries.....unfortunatly when the y are off and in your draw they do chew the batteries.

but for size and use they are great.....who cares we just buy a bulk pack of 30 battereis every year for $15....not a drama!

freaktown
19th July 2004, 08:28 PM
oooooohhhh ahhhhhhh the christmas card list!

No worries mate, it only comes once a year lol :lol:

*didnt know there was a chrissy list :(

Vectracious
20th July 2004, 09:52 AM
Batteries are just one thing I never have when I need them. I swear I buy heaps at the start of the year and either lose them or they just disappear (usually because my sister would steal them for her walkman) - whereas with recheargeable ones, you run out of batteries, stick them on the charger and you are good to go.

Or if you are on a cruise, instead of having it on batteries all the time, connect it to your cigarette lighter and you don't have to worry about the batteries dying on you half way through.

I'll still get a set though... :)