PDA

View Full Version : $150k HSV

USC
20th June 2008, 01:49 PM
:eek:
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=53885&s_rid=theage:ClassiePuff

"As part of the asking price HSV W427 owners will get a higher level of customer service (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=49275)." ...:think:

Wraith
20th June 2008, 02:06 PM
Yep read all this one and it was to be expected.......

150k will buy you the Nissan R35 GT-R = no brainer, for me anyways, enough said ;)

Article for those interested, sorry no pics...

HSV names the price for its upcoming W427. At $150,000 it will be the fastest and most expensive Australian car ever produced.

HSV W427

‹scroll | Move your mouse over the thumbnails below to scroll | scroll›

Related Photo Galleries and Videos:

icon

HSV W427

icon

Video Gallery

HSV today revealed that its fastest, most powerful car ever will also be the most expensive.

HSV’s 500 horsepower, V8-powered, Holden Commodore-based HSV W427 will cost $150,000, plus on-road costs.

The price was confirmed by HSV founder and owner Tom Walkinshaw at a press conference in Melbourne this morning, giving at least some relief to would-be buyers, who were told the W427 could cost as much as $170,000.

"The price is $150,000, up to $156,000 if the new proposed (tax) legislation comes in," says Walkinshaw. "It will be available from dealers in August. At the moment we have expressions of interest from 1500 customer."

A maximum of 427 will be built, in line with the capacity of the engine in cubic inches, which also inspired the W427 name.

Powered by a 7.0-litre V8 engine – set to become the largest production engine available in a new car sold in Australia - the W427 will produce 375kW of power, which is 5kW more than first estimated. HSV engineers worked for the extra few kilowatts so the brand could claim 500 horsepower for the Commodore-based performance sedan.

HSV says it will build up to 427 of the W427s. However, if the demand isn’t there no more will be produced.

"We would not allow dealers to take deposits against it because it's got us in trouble before," says Walkinshaw. "We are going to build to order, We are not going to build more than 427 vehicles. So it's 427 (engine) capacity (in cubic inches) and 427 is the number that we're going to build."

The move is designed to avert the problem encountered by the first ever HSV, the car known as the Walkinshaw, where 500 sold out quickly, prompting the company to build another 250; but the last 200 or so proved difficult to sell.

Walkinshaw also revealed that former Holden chairman and managing director Denny Mooney played an integral role in securing the Chevrolet Corvette-sourced V8 engine.

While being cautious not to divulge exact numbers, Walkinshaw says the HSV W427 will be profitable, all the while delivering the halo effect such hero cars typically bring to a brand.

"It will wash its face," he says. "We will not lose money, but we won’t make shedloads of money on it."

As part of the asking price HSV W427 owners will get a higher level of customer service.

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.

btm
20th June 2008, 02:15 PM
how much is an M3 these days?

EL BURITO
20th June 2008, 02:18 PM
:eek:
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=53885&s_rid=theage:ClassiePuff

"As part of the asking price HSV W427 owners will get a higher level of customer service (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=49275)." ...:think:
you beat me too it

EL BURITO
20th June 2008, 02:19 PM
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/w427image3.thumbnail.jpg

there is your pic

EL BURITO
20th June 2008, 02:24 PM
157K manual
163K auto

Wraith
20th June 2008, 02:28 PM

166k + ORC's DKG equipped - the only one to have...

Same again as for the W427 for me....ie: I'd take the R35 GT-R and have a small stack of cash left over to boot :)

It kills them both by a margin that's so big, you wouldn't even bother trying to measure it !!!

lithium
20th June 2008, 03:20 PM
166k + ORC's DKG equipped - the only one to have...

Same again as for the W427 for me....ie: I'd take the R35 GT-R and have a small stack of cash left over to boot :)

It kills them both by a margin that's so big, you wouldn't even bother trying to measure it !!!

me too - i'd definitely go GT-R for bang-for-buck performance

but i'd also love to drive a car with 7 litres of displacement pushed through the rear wheels :dance:

rjastra
20th June 2008, 03:33 PM
But.... you can buy one now (essentially). You can't buy a GTR at the moment ;)

More direct competitors would be a E63/M5... NOT a M3/c63. Both the E63 and M5 are significantly more expensive than 150K.

lithium
20th June 2008, 03:46 PM
true

for me if i wanted to spend $160k+ on cars i'd still go something like a GT-R, M3, RS4, and also buy an old camry for when i wanted to carry anything bigger than a backpack or more than one passenger

sometimes i'm not sure why you would want to try to turn a tank into a sports car ala 5 series and E class! but then again i have never driven a M5 :cool:

Wraith
20th June 2008, 03:51 PM
Totally agree with lithium above....especially the last line...

And yes an old Camry or Corolla would do me fine as the runnabout too :)

rjastra, you can buy one of those W427's right now - but you'd have to be very quick, they're only building a limited number and they may well already all be spoken for, as I've read HSV recieved over 1,000 enquiries, all of who had deposits ready to go, even when the pricing was rumoured to be 170k+ !

SSS_Hoon
20th June 2008, 04:15 PM
it not to bad.

but gimme R8(Audi) or the R-35 GTR anyday.

nuff said

SSS_Hoon

auzvectra
20th June 2008, 04:49 PM
Yep read all this one and it was to be expected.......

150k will buy you the Nissan R35 GT-R = no brainer, for me anyways, enough said ;)

yep 150K would get a nice new Audi S5, plus a few power and styling mods ;).
hmm, S5 or RS4??? but the 2 door looks so sexy ;).

sooty
20th June 2008, 05:20 PM
Buy a clubsport R8, give CSV $35,000, they'll import an ls7 for you, replace your exhaust system, improve your suspension system, improve your brakes and give you over 400kw...
Seems a lot cheaper, and a lot smarter to me...:rolleyes:

xplosv57
20th June 2008, 07:03 PM
Love the idea from HSV, but the retarded way they're going about it is ridiculous!!!

From what i've heard from prospective buyers, the W427 starts off being a stock GTS minus bodykit and wheels, but still sporting the full driveline and interior!! It then goes to Walkinshaw down the road where they strip the GTS and put in the W427 parts, so essentially getting a rebuilt car!!!

I believe the selling price has been increased to cover the loss in time and parts removed as the GTS parts taken out can only be sold as second hand parts!!! Surely would be much smarter to send Walkinshaw a rolling shell instead??

Can't 100% guarantee this is all correct but it's what i've been hearing around the circles about the W427!!

I love my HSV's but would not pay that kind of money when a slower, but much better all round car like the M3 is the same money!!!

Or i'd buy an E series HSV and knock on the door of the 100s of LSx tuners in Aus and spend my cash on mods!!!

USC
20th June 2008, 08:34 PM
agree..GTR anyday:D

Tigra
21st June 2008, 05:43 AM
Its a good deposit on a house........Car or house, which one would I choose....

Orion_996
21st June 2008, 09:18 AM
Car, already got a house :p

poita
21st June 2008, 10:24 AM
second house :p
makes more money that most cars

Orion_996
21st June 2008, 11:09 AM
eheh true, but i got that too ... for now

USC
21st June 2008, 11:10 AM

+1

Black Nugget
21st June 2008, 12:23 PM

as they say tho you can sleep in a car but you can't drive a house!

and im sure all the CUB's out there are rejoicing at the news of an expensive commodore.

bornwild
21st June 2008, 04:06 PM
Totally agree with lithium above....especially the last line...

And yes an old Camry or Corolla would do me fine as the runnabout too :)

rjastra, you can buy one of those W427's right now - but you'd have to be very quick, they're only building a limited number and they may well already all be spoken for, as I've read HSV recieved over 1,000 enquiries, all of who had deposits ready to go, even when the pricing was rumoured to be 170k+ !

They were claiming the same thing for the Monaro GTR ... ;)

And yes, I'd rather buy an M3, RS4 or even a 2nd hand BMW M5/E55 AMG(the supercharged, older model)...And to service a $150k car at the same Holden dealership that does my Astra?? hahhahaha ... suuuuuuuure!

DirtyHarry
22nd June 2008, 10:29 AM
in 30-40 years though this W427 in prime condition will be worth much more than the gtr though.

Charlatan
22nd June 2008, 10:58 AM
I dont think anyone here is in the target market they are aiming these cars at. I dare say there wouldnt be too many Astra drivers who's next car is going to cost $150k (no offence, neither am i).

When you consider Falcon Cobras were changing hands for $110k+ following their sellout, there are a lot of people who are willing to put money into these sort of cars. Good on HSV for building this car.

Buy a clubsport R8, give CSV $35,000, they'll import an ls7 for you, replace your exhaust system, improve your suspension system, improve your brakes and give you over 400kw...

Smarter in that:
1) LS7 would not be a straight drop in, there would be a lot of messing about
2) lack of manufacturer warranty
3) you end up with a hacked up R8, not a limited edition model, hence your resale would always be fubar.

daiflu
22nd June 2008, 12:16 PM
it not to bad.

but gimme R8(Audi) or the R-35 GTR anyday.

I agree, but the R8 is ~$250K and apparently has a two year waiting list.
I would still take an RS-4 though.

daiflu
22nd June 2008, 12:23 PM
From what i've heard from prospective buyers, the W427 starts off being a stock GTS minus bodykit and wheels, but still sporting the full driveline and interior!! It then goes to Walkinshaw down the road where they strip the GTS and put in the W427 parts, so essentially getting a rebuilt car!!!

I haven't heard anything about how these are built, but this sounds very feasible, as The GTS's leave the factory as you described, with driveline and interior. This is probably the deal they have with Holden, and they can do whatever they like with it once they receive it.

Wraith
23rd June 2008, 09:02 AM

In terms of bang for buck/value for money, this is a very good suggestion !!!

And you'd still have a full warranty...

BUT the problem with CSV vehicles is that they devalue/depreciate like there's no tomorrow, unfortunately...this has been their downfall since inception...

If you wanted to just get max. bang for buck/value for money, buy the cheapest SS/HSV and install one of the many forced induction kits on the market and you'll bleed any of the factory models and blow em out of the water !!! problem is though, no warranty...

I'd be very confident in saying that the majority of buyers for the W427 car, will be purchasing it as a long term investment, as well as a 'toy to enjoy'

There's no doubt that with the trend happening with Aust. muscle cars, if it continues means that these W427's will indeed be worth a fortune in the future...

Wraith
23rd June 2008, 09:05 AM
in 30-40 years though this W427 in prime condition will be worth much more than the gtr though.

As mentioned above, I agree with this point...

I'd say though that in the nearer term an R35 GT-R will devalue at a slower rate than any HSV however...

Black Nugget
23rd June 2008, 10:32 AM
Also Motor did a review of the CSV beast and whilst they liked the donk they expressed the view of the rest of the car not being well suited to the engine....especially the 6spd auto. So hopefully by spedning a bit mnore you get a more dimensional package....

cyclonic
29th June 2008, 10:51 PM
Welcome to the world of covering costs (ADR, modifications, engineering, GM warranty certification) on a limited run car.

For those who complain about the cost of the car, theres a bit more to it than dropping a different engine in.

Wraith
30th June 2008, 03:56 PM
Welcome to the world of covering costs (ADR, modifications, engineering, GM warranty certification) on a limited run car.

For those who complain about the cost of the car, theres a bit more to it than dropping a different engine in.

This is a true and valid point, however I'm confident in saying the margin for profit vs costs on this car is more towards the profit side of things, compared with the cancelled Monaro 427 !

In the laters case, it was an almost totally different car, so the cost of tooling alone for the limited volume of around 200 cars justified the 200k+ price tag...on this W427, HSV is IMHO going for a fair bit of profit margin, rather than just recouping costs, if that were the case, they would've pulled the pin on this one too ! it's always about max. profit with HSV...

Remember,as previously mentioned, the LS7 hand assembled V8 in this car will eventually become standard across the HSV range, this is the single most expensive item on the W427...if it were going to escalate costs by a substantial margin on all HSV's it would not be considered to eventually be used on the whole range.

btm
1st July 2008, 03:24 PM
and they've offered 'chook' a choice of build #1 or #427

he's gone for #427 in sting red and optioned it out with everything :)

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/motoring-news/story/vip_fan_orders_w427/

Wraith
1st July 2008, 08:52 PM
Good luck to him, I'm sure he'll enjoy his new toy build no. 427, last of the line :)

Sting red will look good, saw pics of it in white in the Aussie Top Gear mag, looked pretty good in that colour, only that bright red interior was too much :sick:

OPC
1st July 2008, 10:13 PM
I PREFER THIS

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/motoring-news/story/corvette_zr1_their_fastest_yet/

btm
2nd July 2008, 08:28 AM
I PREFER THIS

http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/motoring-news/story/corvette_zr1_their_fastest_yet/

yep, its farking sweet thing. there is a whole thread on it somewhere here

Wraith
2nd July 2008, 08:39 AM
I PREFER THIS

+ 2

I'd buy one of these, just for the LS9 S/C V8 engine and nothing else !!!

Only catch is - ' if ' this thing 'ever' landed in Aust. it would cost no less than around 250k + !!! :eek:

Always brings me back to the 150k + R35 GT-R...IMHO no better choice up to around 500k + then I'd choose a Gallardo or F430 spyder :)

btm
2nd July 2008, 09:15 AM
yellow Gallardo still is my pick

SSS_Hoon
2nd July 2008, 10:00 AM
Koniseig (sp) is my pick.

The Vette is ugly.

SSS_Hoon

USC
2nd July 2008, 11:11 AM
but the vette is very fuel efficient.

Wraith
2nd July 2008, 12:49 PM
Koniseig (sp) is my pick.

The Vette is ugly.

SSS_Hoon

Yeh, but the Sweedish supercar will set you back about $1-1.5 million LOL...

One of the those new model Gallardos in white with $1 million change for me thanks :D

Wraith
2nd July 2008, 12:55 PM
but the vette is very fuel efficient.

mmmm, lets see, 470kw S/C 6.2ltr V8 - don't think so :)

For all interested check this link which has info on that beautiful beast of an engine - the LS9...

http://jalopnik.com/cars/ls9/

SSS_Hoon
2nd July 2008, 01:03 PM
Yeh, but the Sweedish supercar will set you back about $1-1.5 million LOL...

One of the those new model Gallardos in white with $1 million change for me thanks :D

well yeah the new CCXR for me though hehehe.

I have already bought the sweedish supercar as the Lambo is in getting a service.....

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
2nd July 2008, 01:31 PM
well yeah the new CCXR for me though hehehe.

I have already bought the sweedish supercar as the Lambo is in getting a service.....

SSS_Hoon

Hahahahaha LOL good one :D

We can all wish away :)

SSS_Hoon
2nd July 2008, 01:39 PM
Hahahahaha LOL good one :D

We can all wish away :)

yeah i bought my gardiner/house keeper and pool boy all R35 GTR's.

LoL

SSS_Hoon

btm
2nd July 2008, 02:16 PM
hell, if that's the case... i'd be your pool boy! :D

poita
2nd July 2008, 03:55 PM
"I've come to clean ze pool"

OPC
2nd July 2008, 09:46 PM
hell, if that's the case... i'd be your pool boy! :D

OH he actually meant PULL ME OFF BOY ;)

Wraith
3rd July 2008, 09:00 AM
I'll be your cook :D

One red R35 for me pleeeease :)

btm
3rd July 2008, 09:11 AM
if red is already taken then i will take white... or maybe even matt black

Wraith
3rd July 2008, 09:36 AM
Matt black - hubba hubba :drool:

SSS_Hoon
3rd July 2008, 10:02 AM
nah sorry the cook dont get a R35 as i love my food the cook is worth more then that, they get a REVENTON.

SSS_Hoon

btm
3rd July 2008, 10:05 AM
name your favourite dish!! i'll cook it every night :p

Wraith
3rd July 2008, 03:04 PM
nah sorry the cook dont get a R35 as i love my food the cook is worth more then that, they get a REVENTON.

SSS_Hoon

Holy crap and mother of all Christmas' at once :eek: LOL :)

Truth is I am a good cook !!! at least I think I am :D

If only this were reality, a Reventon for me aaarrrrrrrggggghhhhh...:drool:

Master SSSHoon, may I also pleeease have a red GT-R as the everyday ride too...:pray: hehehe :D

xplosv57
4th July 2008, 03:10 PM
How did this HSV thread go to the GT-R..........thought there was a GTR thread already

btm
4th July 2008, 03:21 PM
How did this HSV thread go to the GT-R..........thought there was a GTR thread already

wraith posted :p

Wraith
7th July 2008, 09:21 AM
Yes, it's all my fault :o

I had to bring up a cost comparison didn't I :)

Sorry guys...

Still want that Reventon though :D :p