PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Xh XR6
19th June 2008, 05:41 PM
Hi guys

Helping dad fix/modify my sisters exhaust today and we found this bolted around the exhaust pipe. What does it do? Is it needed?

As far as i can tell it may soak up some heat and stop the exhaust moving around.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

http://www.opelaus.com/gallery/albums/userpics/barina1.JPG

http://www.opelaus.com/gallery/albums/userpics/barina2.JPG

Cheers

Ben

btm
19th June 2008, 05:51 PM
looks like a lot of extra weight!

PaulyJ
19th June 2008, 06:16 PM
Where abouts along the exhaust was it fitted? What car is it on?

Tigra
19th June 2008, 09:17 PM
looks like a lot of extra weight!

True.....strange.

Xh XR6
19th June 2008, 10:31 PM
Sorry, it was bout 150mm past the cat on a corsa B

PaulyJ: Were changing the springs and struts at same time and fitting whiteline swaybars of your old black barina.

Ben

kaoshunter
19th June 2008, 10:34 PM
maybe a heat sink, how heavy is it?

rjastra
19th June 2008, 10:42 PM
more likely it stops a certain resonance

USC
19th June 2008, 10:54 PM
could be to prevent some sort of rattling. or to hold the pipe together at a weak point so it does not crack.

SKM_87
19th June 2008, 11:45 PM
they are for resonace. most cars have something of the like on the exhaust.

USC
19th June 2008, 11:52 PM
Ive seen similar things on driveshafts too...but made of very hard rubber and placed at random spot.

SKM_87
20th June 2008, 12:03 AM
thats a rubber coupling, simliar idea but not.

Xh XR6
20th June 2008, 09:55 AM
Hi

It's cast iron and quite heavy. I didn't couple two pipes together. I reckon your right it's probably for resonance.

Cheers
Ben

PaulyJ
20th June 2008, 12:23 PM
Atleast my parts are being used and not lying there at a wreckers.
If you need any more help with the car, let me know.

Wraith
20th June 2008, 02:23 PM
On TS convertibles, there's a huge chunk of cast iron like that on the drivers side at the rear, just behind the rear bar mounted onto the chassis...

It's about the size and shape of a domestic brick, well maybe a little smaller - always wondered WTF this was for and always put it down to electrical earthing mass or similar ???

can't be for resonance as it's no where near the exhaust...

rjastra
20th June 2008, 03:35 PM
On TS convertibles, there's a huge chunk of cast iron like that on the drivers side at the rear, just behind the rear bar mounted onto the chassis...

It's about the size and shape of a domestic brick, well maybe a little smaller - always wondered WTF this was for and always put it down to electrical earthing mass or similar ???

can't be for resonance as it's no where near the exhaust...

Its probably soaking up some vibrations in the body
Apparently the early 90's Maxima had a similar lump of metal in the boot for the same reason.

Wraith
20th June 2008, 03:46 PM
Its probably soaking up some vibrations in the body
Apparently the early 90's Maxima had a similar lump of metal in the boot for the same reason.

You may be right ??

When/if I get the time, I'm going to remove it and see if it makes a noticeable or unfavourable difference...if not, it's staying off as I reckon this lump of cast iron weighs at least 25 pounds or more...

Keep'emRunning
24th June 2008, 10:28 AM
polarizes the exhaust gases :)

Jerram
24th June 2008, 11:30 PM
I'm agreeing with the last poster - wouldn't be at all surprised if the center section would resonate like a big tubular bell if left unchecked. - It also would be a heat-sink to stop the very hot exhaust gas weakening the brackets attached to it.