PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

sadavidsriturbo
18th June 2008, 11:30 PM
So if i hold my sport button in it turns the traction control off in my ah sri-t??? I have removed the fuse and i no longer have a.b.s, because they both run off the same fuse which dosnt really bother me but i heard it also will disrupt my stability control anyone ???

imay
19th June 2008, 09:46 AM
Can't answer the question about stability control being connected to ABS and TC (presume it is all somehow connected), but . . .

Put the fuse back in, drive it as it is supposed to be driven -- safely? It's an Astra for f***'s sake, not a rocket ship! An everyday road car. Enjoy the car for what it is and perhaps keep yourself and other road users accident free.
If you have ever needed the fantastic response of ABS in an emergency situation you would definitely think twice about removing this asset from your life.

C'mon guys! Let's be promoting safe driving here, as well as enjoying our cars. Just put the fuse back in! Otherwise, please, stay away from the roads I'm likely to be using.

95' GSI
19th June 2008, 09:58 AM
Can't answer the question about stability control being connected to ABS and TC (presume it is all somehow connected), but . . .

Put the fuse back in, drive it as it is supposed to be driven -- safely? It's an Astra for f***'s sake, not a rocket ship! An everyday road car. Enjoy the car for what it is and perhaps keep yourself and other road users accident free.
If you have ever needed the fantastic response of ABS in an emergency situation you would definitely think twice about removing this asset from your life.

C'mon guys! Let's be promoting safe driving here, as well as enjoying our cars. Just put the fuse back in! Otherwise, please, stay away from the roads I'm likely to be using.

Gotta agree with you there.
ABS isnt something you should mess with because with the shitty drivers here you're gonna need all the help stopping you can get.
Think carefully David...

Red AH SRI T
19th June 2008, 10:16 AM
Anyone who purposely removes the fuse for the ABS out of their car deserves everything they have coming to them.
And Of course its linked the the ESP you fool.

One Darwin Award coming up for you.

USC
19th June 2008, 10:16 AM
Gotta agree with you there.
ABS isnt something you should mess with because with the shitty drivers here you're gonna need all the help stopping you can get.
Think carefully David...

+1

Dude, you are messing with your own safety and putting others on the road at risk. Go find something better to do. If you are bored, smoke some pot.

To answer your question, pressing the sports button for a couple of seconds will turn off traction control. Also, ABS only activates when you brake really hard (it is also connected to traction control that applies brakes on the appropriate wheel when needed)....why remove the fuse...idiot?

sadavidsriturbo
19th June 2008, 10:45 AM

O.k safety first which is why i asked, i would just test it for my self but i need to find my fuse. So in reply to your concern i would much rather have no traction control than to have a.b.s. the amount of times that i have almost been hit due to the poorly engineered traction control on my VY commodore and because the shit turns it self on every time you start the car if they put in a system that works like the gen3 statesman (actually backs off the accelerator) it would not be an issue instead of retarding the ignition and leaving you without power for a second which makes all the difference from getting threw the gap or getting hit by a truck and the astra being front wheel drive with the same setup obviously its going to happen allot more i know its not a rocket ship but if i wanted to drive around like a pensioner i would have bought a daihatsu terios also i have had to slam on my brakes plenty of times a.b.s. great if your a 17 year old girl or boy for that matter that cant drive for shit but if you make me up a roster on what roads your going to be on and when ill try and avoid them for you because im such a hazard maybe if i was driving my kingswood with drum brakes all round you might feel safer???

Red AH SRI T
19th June 2008, 10:48 AM
How can you compare the Traction Control of a VY Commodore to the ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM of an AH Astra?

Do you even know the difference between the two?

sadavidsriturbo
19th June 2008, 10:54 AM
All i wanted to know was if the sport button turns off traction control not your opinions of whats safe or not im glad your all for safety because so am i but if you think im and idiot and deserve what comes to me **** you both:D

sadavidsriturbo
19th June 2008, 10:55 AM
How can you compare the Traction Control of a VY Commodore to the ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM of an AH Astra?

Do you even know the difference between the two?

I could not care less about the difference because im not talking about stability im talking about traction control but thank you .....

USC
19th June 2008, 11:00 AM
Get a life dude.

comparing a VY traction control to an Opel engineered ESP...lol

I never had any issues with the ESP on my sri-t...actually loved the way the light flashed and the car felt very stable.

sadavidsriturbo
19th June 2008, 11:04 AM
Get a life dude.

comparing a VY traction control to an Opel engineered ESP...lol

I never had any issues with the ESP on my sri-t...actually loved the way the light flashed and the car felt very stable.

ESP and traction control are to different things i dont have issues with the ESP it the TRACTION CONTROL i gather the ESP stays on when you turn off the TRACTION CONTROL thus comparing TRACTION CONTROL with wait for it............. TRACTION CONTROL:clap::clap::clap:

Red AH SRI T
19th June 2008, 11:09 AM
Well to answer your question (although if you read your owners manual you could easily find this out)

Press and Hold the Sport button for 5 seconds. This turns ESP (and thus TC) off.

Although with you having taken the fuse for the ABS out, I doubt either of these systems would be working in your car anyway.

sadavidsriturbo
19th June 2008, 11:12 AM
:rolleyes:k............. Thank y:rolleyes:u pe:rolleyes:ple.

Red AH SRI T
19th June 2008, 11:13 AM
BTW, nice install, got more pics and details??

imay
19th June 2008, 11:16 AM
Not meaning to question your driving style, experience or ability to handle an emergency situation . . . but a GOOD driver will try to avoid getting into these situations in the first place. When he can't avoid them, the car makers of the world include such things as ABS, TC and ESP to give you a better chance of getting through them unscathed. Intentially removing or disabling them will only increase your chance of ending up in a mess . . . and suggests to the rest of the world that you think you are a better driver for not having them on your car. If you feel you don't need them, you are obviously a very good driver indeed. Your insurance company, I'm sure, would also take a very dim view of any intentional bypassing of these systems should you ever need to make a claim when you run into that pensioner in his Daihatsu Terios, because of some "silly" manouevre he made.
I can only think of one reason why someone would want to turn off TC, and our state government has introduced "hoon laws" to try to combat this situation.

sadavidsriturbo
19th June 2008, 11:19 AM
Got a little heated...... yes i should have read the owners manual but i must say this advice came from a mechanic at a certain holden dealership who apparently is an astra guru who told me that you can not turn the traction control off in the ah and suggested that the only way was through removing the fuse (which he did not recommend) now that i have this info i have found the fuse and i am putting it back in right now thank you people i apologize for my rudeness:(

95' GSI
19th June 2008, 11:21 AM
also i have had to slam on my brakes plenty of times a.b.s. great if your a 17 year old girl or boy for that matter that cant drive for shit

Was that dig or just generally an assholey statement?
Because like hell age really matters.

Ishley
19th June 2008, 11:25 AM
I know you can "turn it off" and it comes up with ESP OFF on the dash. But I thought it was one of those things that is never really completely turned off?

sadavidsriturbo
19th June 2008, 11:28 AM
Not meaning to question your driving style, experience or ability to handle an emergency situation . . . but a GOOD driver will try to avoid getting into these situations in the first place. When he can't avoid them, the car makers of the world include such things as ABS, TC and ESP to give you a better chance of getting through them unscathed. Intentially removing or disabling them will only increase your chance of ending up in a mess . . . and suggests to the rest of the world that you think you are a better driver for not having them on your car. If you feel you don't need them, you are obviously a very good driver indeed. Your insurance company, I'm sure, would also take a very dim view of any intentional bypassing of these systems should you ever need to make a claim when you run into that pensioner in his Daihatsu Terios, because of some "silly" manouevre he made.
I can only think of one reason why someone would want to turn off TC, and our state government has introduced "hoon laws" to try to combat this situation.

I understand 100% where you are coming from but its not about hooning not that i dont do it. everyone has squeeled the wheels not to show of but an attempt to get into a tight spot and last thing you need is to have your car bog down on you when you need it most i find my self in that situation more than i would having to slam on my brakes thats why i feel it is safer for me and others that my traction control be disabled now that i know i am puting the fuse in right now..

sadavidsriturbo
19th June 2008, 11:29 AM
Was that dig or just generally an assholey statement?
Because like hell age really matters.
Just an ass holey statement sorry :(

95' GSI
19th June 2008, 11:30 AM
Just an ass holey statement sorry :(

ok.

Red AH SRI T
19th June 2008, 11:31 AM
http://tvjunior.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/big_brother_brigitte.jpg

95' GSI
19th June 2008, 11:32 AM

Umm random...?

imay
19th June 2008, 11:39 AM
Hey mate, I've been there, done that, and lost mates who have not succeeded . . . just trying to keep you in one piece, that's all.

The roads are a dangerous place to be, and any "safety" feature the makers wish to add to my car to help me and mine get home at night is OK by me. As I said, these systems are there for a reason, not to make your life a misery. Slow down and re-assess the situation and maybe you can get to listen to an extra track before you safely pull into the driveway.

sadavidsriturbo
19th June 2008, 11:43 AM
Hey mate, I've been there, done that, and lost mates who have not succeeded . . . just trying to keep you in one piece, that's all.

The roads are a dangerous place to be, and any "safety" feature the makers wish to add to my car to help me and mine get home at night is OK by me. As I said, these systems are there for a reason, not to make your life a misery. Slow down and re-assess the situation and maybe you can get to listen to an extra track before you safely pull into the driveway.

Right you are.

sadavidsriturbo
19th June 2008, 11:44 AM
?????????????????????????????????

Ill get some more pics up on readers rides soon thanks

USC
19th June 2008, 12:26 PM
Traction control, ESP, ABS..all works together... So your ESP includes traction control, ABS and some other sensors that measure steering wheel angle etc...

The latest traction control technology introduced to motor vehicles is Stability Control. While ABS and Traction Control help manage the grip of the tires for braking and accelerating, Stability Control helps prevent a car from sliding sideways. Using the same components in the ABS and Traction Control systems, Stability Control adds other sensors. These include; steering wheel angle sensor and yaw rate sensor. Yaw is defined as, "the movement of an object turning on its vertical axis”. Stability Control is used to manage the amount of understeer a vehicle will exhibit if the driver used too much steering or entering a turn too fast. It will also manage oversteer if the driver uses too much or too little throttle while turning. Much like the other technologies of traction control, Stability Control will apply the brakes and/or throttle to a wheel or a number of wheels, independently, so the driver can regain control.

http://www.securitydriver.com/aic/stories/article-111.html

ESC incorporates yaw rate (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Yaw_rate&action=edit&redlink=1) control into the anti-lock braking system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system) (ABS). Yaw (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaw) is rotation around the vertical axis; i.e. spinning left or right. Anti-lock brakes enable ESC to brake individual wheels. ESC usually also incorporates a traction control system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_control_system) (TCS or ASR), which senses drive-wheel slip under acceleration and individually brakes the slipping wheel or wheels and/or reduces excess engine power until control is regained.
ESC incorporates yaw rate (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Yaw_rate&action=edit&redlink=1) control into the anti-lock braking system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system) (ABS). Yaw (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaw) is rotation around the vertical axis; i.e. spinning left or right. Anti-lock brakes enable ESC to brake individual wheels. ESC usually also incorporates a traction control system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_control_system) (TCS or ASR), which senses drive-wheel slip under acceleration and individually brakes the slipping wheel or wheels and/or reduces excess engine power until control is regained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Stability_Control

USC
19th June 2008, 12:27 PM
ESP and traction control are to different things i dont have issues with the ESP it the TRACTION CONTROL i gather the ESP stays on when you turn off the TRACTION CONTROL thus comparing TRACTION CONTROL with wait for it............. TRACTION CONTROL:clap::clap::clap:

stop talking rubbish dude.

for ESP to work properly, traction control needs to be activated.

A holden mechanic that told you to pull the fuse out....wait...who does he work for again...HOLDEN...LOL....that says it all.

Greg K
19th June 2008, 12:43 PM
an attempt to get into a tight spot and last thing you need is to have your car bog down on you when you need it most i find my self in that situation more than i would having to slam on my brakes thats why i feel it is safer for me and others that my traction control be disabled now that i know i am puting the fuse in right now..

im not going to judge you or anything mate, but everyones life is worth more than gaining a few car spots in traffic. if your car bogs down when you think you need the power most, then so be it.. but by removing a safety feature (endangering yourself and others) is not thinking with your head.

im glad you made the right decision.

Greg K
19th June 2008, 12:54 PM

the blondie from big brother???

sadavidsriturbo
19th June 2008, 02:03 PM
W.T.F dont you people understand there are so many cars out on the roads with more power than mine shittier handling and brakes without abs !! Now do you frown upon them because there car does not have it ??? And most of all do you think that they are endangering lives by being on the road no..... i understand that it is safer but please cut the concerned citizen shit..............

95' GSI
19th June 2008, 02:14 PM
W.T.F dont you people understand there are so many cars out on the roads with more power than mine shittier handling and brakes without abs !! Now do you frown upon them because there car does not have it ??? And most of all do you think that they are endangering lives by being on the road no..... i understand that it is safer but please cut the concerned citizen shit..............

I do...
I think they're saying that if you have the option you shouldnt mess with it.
Those without ABS are used to the stopping distances etc but when you have it and turn it off, you're not fully aware of it.
Does that make sense?

Greg K
19th June 2008, 02:16 PM
you think its shit do you??
grow up mate. use your ****ing head.

you come on here asking how to remove a safety feature that is designed to save lives.. what do you expect people to say???

sadavidsriturbo
19th June 2008, 02:30 PM
you think its shit do you??
grow up mate. use your ****ing head.

you come on here asking how to remove a safety feature that is designed to save lives.. what do you expect people to say???

If you read properly and didnt just jump on the band wagon you would have seen that i was not asking how to remove the abs but how to turn traction control on and off if it was so bad you would not be able to do it period ..........

sadavidsriturbo
19th June 2008, 02:34 PM
I do...
I think they're saying that if you have the option you shouldnt mess with it.
Those without ABS are used to the stopping distances etc but when you have it and turn it off, you're not fully aware of it.
Does that make sense?

Thanks i know where your coming from and having had so many cars over time with and with out abs has not made a difference to me i understand that one day i may need it hence the reason i asked about the switch but people just want to give lectures and make me out to be such a hazard when so many people dont have it anyway but thanks for understanding :D

GreyRex
19th June 2008, 03:04 PM
Not going to accuse anyone or anything like that with this one, but all i can say is...

with it pouring rain driving along and having to swerve to avoid a car which pulls out, or attempt to stop hard in a straight line...

OR

driving along a freeway at 100km/h, and having to avoid a wild animal which appears from nowhere...

I would prefer all the safety systems I could have

I have an AH Astra Turbo which has been flashed, yet find the calibration of the ESP/TC/ABS fantastic

With my family previously owning a VY S Commodore, and then a VZ SV6 Commodore, I saw and felt the 'improvements' made to their traction control system (and the electronic throttle). But honestly, as others have said... I wouldn't think there'd be too many reasons to disable the ESP/TC. It says ESP off once held down for 5 seconds

rjastra
19th June 2008, 03:18 PM
I have driven VX and VZ commdores over large distances. Both had TC and I never had an issue with it. It certainly didn't leave me stranded mid-intersection. Seems to me its more likely the fault of a certain person's right foot than the car ;)

I had TC in my TS SRi 2.2 and it never gave me any issues. And that car was flogged on a regular basis.

Maybe I have just learnt to modulate the throttle so that it doesn't kick in. Experience is a grand thing :)

Greg K
19th June 2008, 03:24 PM
So if i hold my sport button in it turns the traction control off in my ah sri-t??? I have removed the fuse and i no longer have a.b.s, because they both run off the same fuse which dosnt really bother me but i heard it also will disrupt my stability control anyone ???

If you read properly and didnt just jump on the band wagon you would have seen that i was not asking how to remove the abs but how to turn traction control on and off if it was so bad you would not be able to do it period ..........

you say that it doesnt bother you that you removed abs and traction control, so i understood what you had to say..

Red AH SRI T
19th June 2008, 03:26 PM
Umm random...?

I was comparing the stupidness between sadavidsriturbo and Brigitte :p

sadavidsriturbo
19th June 2008, 03:49 PM

Your funny ya faggot

95' GSI
19th June 2008, 03:51 PM

lol I hate that show but I hear shes pretty dumb :p

sadavidsriturbo
19th June 2008, 03:55 PM
So anyone else got something to say???:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

95' GSI
19th June 2008, 04:09 PM
What I said wasnt a dig?
Im blonde by nature and I dont always think lol.

maloo97
19th June 2008, 04:17 PM
So anyone else got something to say???:boohoo::boohoo::boohoo::boohoo:

Enough has been said and thead can be closed!

95' GSI
19th June 2008, 04:21 PM

agreed

USC
19th June 2008, 04:47 PM

yes father.

95' GSI
19th June 2008, 04:48 PM
yes father.

lol make it sound like we're in trouble.
*spam*

maloo97
19th June 2008, 05:42 PM
yes father.

Dont you start!

Red AH SRI T
19th June 2008, 06:19 PM
Your funny ya faggot

True on both counts :p

poita
19th June 2008, 07:52 PM
dam wat did i miss today