PDA

View Full Version : Which Brand of Fuel Do You Use?

Tigra
18th June 2008, 07:41 PM
http://michael.ellerman.id.au/blog/wp-content/mpe/uploads/2005/09/12/national-duuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh-day/petrol.png
Always an intresting topic and one that always gets a mixed reaction. I used to always use Woolworths/Safeway Caltex Fuel until I decided to change to Coles Express Shell.

http://www.caltex.com.au/thestar/issues/41-Feb-Mar-08/assets/gallery/lb_02_01.gif
I have found the Shell fuel to be the best so far and thats just using normal unleaded. With prices now at the $170.0l mark, this will be a good topic.

So, out of all the different brands out there, which one do you use and which servos would you try and avoid at all costs.

So my winner:
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/ffximage/2008/05/08/470coles.jpg

carab
18th June 2008, 07:59 PM
while on topic here, have people tried any of the ethanol "enhanced" 95 ron petrol you find at united and such stations?

There was all this speculation a while back that it can screw up your car but only because they were adding it in with out telling people. It is actually meant to burn a bit cleaner and of course, its cheaper (about the price u pay for regular unleaded with a coles or safeway docket per litre).

Problems with it? Performance issues?

I use it and havn't had problems, maybe different for others though.

(I think it was known to stuff up fuel filters in Fords which lead to other problems if unrectified. That's what you get for buying a ford though :p)

guy 27
18th June 2008, 08:04 PM
I only use bp ultimate now or mobil if there is one.

sooty
18th June 2008, 08:08 PM
BP only. lowest ppm of Sulfur :)

vectraguy01
18th June 2008, 08:09 PM
I use Shell V-Power basically all the time, if im running low on fuel n cant get there I use BP, but hardly ever, get better performance from Shell V-Power compared to others, Mobil 9000 is great as well, but not everywhere has it.

SKM_87
18th June 2008, 08:38 PM
caltex 98
or united 98

tip - bp ultimate = caltex 98 cept caltex is cheaper
mobil 98 = united 98, cheap and mobil 98 is better for power slightly. and shell i duno cuz we dont get it ova this side of the world

poita
18th June 2008, 09:13 PM
use bp ultimate, the only high octane we can get in bundy.
ie not caltex 98, or shell v-power or watever the fuk its called, no mobil 98 either

Ishley
18th June 2008, 10:14 PM
I pretty much only use Mobil 8000, I get better fuel economy from it.......

Amazer
18th June 2008, 10:28 PM
interesting topic

I have made the switch back to Vortex from V-Power.

I had been using V-Power in the Astra for the last 2 years.

With the refinery rebuild I had no choice but to find another premium fuel. Tried Ultimate, car pinged bad. Tried Vortex economy was down from 6.5L/100km to 6.9l/100km. I do a 1000kms a week mainly highway.

V-Power went back online, switched back to V-Power and struggled to get under 6.8L/100km. Thought stuff it I'll go back to Vortex its cheaper and giving the same results.

My neighbour has 2 falcons and is a big V-Power user as well and found similar results, so can't be just my car.

My last tank on Vortex has been 6.1L/100km and dad has noticed a big drop in his Mazda. About a 1L/100km for him. We both fill up at different service stations. So I'm guessing the Vortex mixture has been changed again as it was about 18 months ago as well.

Rob

EL BURITO
18th June 2008, 11:08 PM
Well In Perth all the petrol comes out of the same BP refinery in Kwinanna

on that basis I use Caltex vortex98 cos its cheaper than the BP and mum gives me the dockets and been getting 10c a L off for the past month till we can get more of those cards.

guy 27
18th June 2008, 11:11 PM
About a 1L/100km for him.
Rob

I wouldn't complain with that at all.

Amazer
19th June 2008, 05:42 AM
I wouldn't complain with that at all.

sorry reduction of about 1L/100km

Rob

glider
19th June 2008, 05:53 AM
i just use regular unleaded, am new to the car scene so to speak so i dont really know of any good reason (other than a few KW) to use premium...

since i work for woollies, i get perma-discount so i almost always go there. (that said, it is annoying staff discount is only 4c)

SSS_Hoon
19th June 2008, 07:26 AM
I was using Shell 100ron for awhile till the price started to go up and now i am using vortex98(caltex).

The wife also uses the Caltex vortex 98 in the Golf GTI.

The ethanol blend is ok as long as your car is capable of using it find out first if your car is ok for ethanol use.

There is nothing wrong with it all infact if your car is tuned for it there can be a power increase.

In my car i found that the Shell fuel didnt last as long as the Caltex fuel and the Mobil/BP stuff just stank way too much.

Never used the indepent stuff as not really trusting the idependent servos especially seeing as i need the higher RON fuel for my car.

SSS_Hoon

rjastra
19th June 2008, 08:25 AM
Where is the "Whatever is cheapest" option.

In this market you can't be loyal to a brand. Shop for price.

Most petrol, in Sydney, comes from one of two refineries anyway.

Ethanol blends from Liberty/united are good. You can usually get a 95RON eqivalent for less than the price of regular ULP.

Wraith
19th June 2008, 08:40 AM
Where is the "Whatever is cheapest" option.

In this market you can't be loyal to a brand. Shop for price.

Most petrol, in Sydney, comes from one of two refineries anyway.

Ethanol blends from Liberty/united are good. You can usually get a 95RON eqivalent for less than the price of regular ULP.

+ 1

Smartest response on this topic so far IMHO !

btm
19th June 2008, 10:03 AM
i'd be lucky to fill up once every 3-4 months at the moment, but when i do i use BP ultimate

i found it gave better mileage and performace

Red AH SRI T
19th June 2008, 10:14 AM
I've started using BP, but only because Coles ran out of V Power and now i've changed and can't be bothered going back.

Tfer
19th June 2008, 10:17 AM
Caltex Vortex 98 or Mobile 8000 or 9000

btm
19th June 2008, 10:38 AM
Caltex Vortex 98 or Mobile 8000 or 9000

What's the 9000??

Red AH SRI T
19th June 2008, 10:42 AM
Mobil's numbers confuse the **** out of me, I'm never sure of what I'm actually putting in my car.

So i never go to a Mobil.

And besides I don't know where any are. I thought they died.

EL BURITO
19th June 2008, 10:43 AM
What's the 9000??
guessing something to do with ethanol as 8000 = 98

mr corsa
19th June 2008, 07:01 PM
lpg-united 95e and roo16

mr corsa
19th June 2008, 07:02 PM
lpg-united 95e and roo16 the 3 fuels i use atm

cbrmale
22nd June 2008, 02:09 PM
while on topic here, have people tried any of the ethanol "enhanced" 95 ron petrol you find at united and such stations?

There was all this speculation a while back that it can screw up your car but only because they were adding it in with out telling people. It is actually meant to burn a bit cleaner and of course, its cheaper (about the price u pay for regular unleaded with a coles or safeway docket per litre).

(I think it was known to stuff up fuel filters in Fords which lead to other problems if unrectified. That's what you get for buying a ford though :p)

I can't use ethanol in my SRi 2.2, because it vapourises under the high fuel injection pressure of the 2.2 direct. Even if I could, I wouldn't. Ethanol has a lower calorific value than petrol, which means degraded performance and increased fuel consumption. It also means that it burns hotter, which leads to premature valve and catalytic converter failure. Over time, ethanol is a dirtier fuel than petrol, because the catalytic converters break up. Expensive repair too, generally $4000 or more. Ethanol also creates more combustion chamber deposits, which degrade performance further, and increases the risk of detonation and piston damage.

And don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise!

rjastra
22nd June 2008, 02:57 PM
I can't use ethanol in my SRi 2.2, because it vapourises under the high fuel injection pressure of the 2.2 direct. Even if I could, I wouldn't. Ethanol has a lower calorific value than petrol, which means degraded performance and increased fuel consumption. It also means that it burns hotter, which leads to premature valve and catalytic converter failure. Over time, ethanol is a dirtier fuel than petrol, because the catalytic converters break up. Expensive repair too, generally $4000 or more. Ethanol also creates more combustion chamber deposits, which degrade performance further, and increases the risk of detonation and piston damage.

And don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise!

Astra 2,2L DI is only E5 safe.

vectraguy01
23rd June 2008, 06:25 PM
The Astra 2.2L is the aussie engine, thats why it totaly cant support ethanol, the other engines in the uk, they run between 10-15% ethanol, n there car's dont have problem, euro cars can support it better than jap or aussie built engines.

Tigra
23rd June 2008, 06:30 PM
Further intresting information on E10 Fuel:

http://www.fcai.com.au/ethanol.php/2007/05/00000005.html

rjastra
23rd June 2008, 08:46 PM
The Astra 2.2L is the aussie engine, thats why it totaly cant support ethanol, the other engines in the uk, they run between 10-15% ethanol, n there car's dont have problem, euro cars can support it better than jap or aussie built engines.

riiiight... the 2.2L engine is a GM global engine.

vectraguy01
24th June 2008, 07:45 PM
The Astra G SRI 2.2L engine is made in the Melbourne Holden plant.

Maplassie
24th June 2008, 09:18 PM
I only use shell 95 and BP 95

rjastra
24th June 2008, 10:48 PM

Are you absolutely sure about that?

Are you saying the shipped the 2.2L (ecotec all alloy)motor bits out here, put it together, shipped the motor back to europe where they fitted them to Astra to ship back to Australia.

This from the Holden site about E10

Holden vehicles manufactured since 1986 will operate satisfactorily on E10. However, some vehicles manufactured by others and branded as Holdens do not operate satisfactorily on E10 fuel.

Vehicles that do not operate satisfactorily on E10 fuel are:
Apollo (1/87-7/89), Nova (2/89-7/94), Barina (1985-1994),
Drover (1985-1987), Scurry (1985-1986), Astra (1984-1989).

Jerram
24th June 2008, 11:16 PM

Pretty rubbishy I thought - normally I do around 8.2L/100km with my C20SEL Vec with normal 95- on that hogwash I was pushing 9 and a half. Ethanol's a false economy coz you get less mileage - and to think they're destroying rainforests and useful crops for this crap!

vectraguy01
25th June 2008, 11:48 AM
Are you absolutely sure about that?

Are you saying the shipped the 2.2L (ecotec all alloy)motor bits out here, put it together, shipped the motor back to europe where they fitted them to Astra to ship back to Australia.

This from the Holden site about E10

Do your own investigation if your going to query my claim! Prove me and show me evidence that im wrong if you can then!

They built motor here, they ship the astra out here and assemble engine in melbourne.

sadavidsriturbo
25th June 2008, 12:50 PM
I see bp is leading the race....... i use bp ultimate due to the fact that there are so many of them in adelaide and the fuel is good.
otherwise id be using shell v-power i tend to find that every time i need to fill up im near a bp
Used v-power twice could not notice the difference but:

1: My brother swears on v-power(not a mechanic but knows his shit)
2: Regal autosport uk recommend v-power for the vxr/sri-t
(Dont know if they have bp even though it stands for British petroleum so i gather they do ??)
also i tend to fine all the other brands around adelaide are old sites and probably i.m.o. have grubby tanks ???

otherwise there is one of the lazy people ones that fill up for you near my place id go there if i had standard car cant remember who they are might be fox ???

rjastra
25th June 2008, 03:44 PM
Do your own investigation if your going to query my claim! Prove me and show me evidence that im wrong if you can then!

They built motor here, they ship the astra out here and assemble engine in melbourne.

You're making the claim.

I am quite sure that the Astra arrives here WITH an engine in it. I had an Astra SRi 2.2 and I am quite sure it came from the factory in europe already fitted with the engine. You could buy 2.2L SRis in Europe at the time.

Wraith
27th June 2008, 09:14 AM

This is a revelation for me too.... :confused:

I hope someone here can find out if this is true or not, I'm very curious, like rjastra, I thought they were made and assembled complete with car in Europe ??

I've got 2 close mates who work at GMH, one in sales, one in spares and as far as they've told me, ALL Astra models come shipped complete with engine...

Vectracious
27th June 2008, 10:47 AM

No, it's not.

The 2.2 that came in the JS Vectra's was a bored out version of the Family 2 2.0L Holden engine that was used back in Camira days.

The 2.2 in the Astra G SRi is NOT the same engine at all - the main difference being it's an all alloy unit - whereas the Family 2 had a cast iron block and an alloy head.

Astra G SRi engine
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/Vectracious/Opelaus/astragsri.jpg

Vectra B 2.2 engine
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/Vectracious/Opelaus/Vectraengine.jpg

They even look completely different.....

lithium
27th June 2008, 10:57 AM
i just use regular unleaded, am new to the car scene so to speak so i dont really know of any good reason (other than a few KW) to use premium...

since i work for woollies, i get perma-discount so i almost always go there. (that said, it is annoying staff discount is only 4c)

one reason to use 95/98 octane is that the oil companies put more detergent into these fuels, so they run cleaner and you'll get less gunking up of your injectors, intake valves and combustion chamber - this is the main reason i use 98

also you can hear a bit of detonation in my corsa if i use regular, especially on hot days

Vectracious
27th June 2008, 11:00 AM
I'll mainly use Shell because it's
- closest to home
- take the Flybuys card

however I also have a BP and Caltex very close by - and will also use them depending on which supermarket docket I have in the car. I've noticed no differences in any of the cars on any of the fuels.

After getting my car tuned at STi though, they recommended to run any brand of fuel other than BP. :confused:

btm
27th June 2008, 11:02 AM

but they both have ecotec written on them... :p

Vectracious
27th June 2008, 01:15 PM
but they both have ecotec written on them... :p

damn, and that yellow oil cap has caught me out as well :p ;)

vectraguy01
27th June 2008, 05:44 PM
No, it's not.

The 2.2 that came in the JS Vectra's was a bored out version of the Family 2 2.0L Holden engine that was used back in Camira days.

The 2.2 in the Astra G SRi is NOT the same engine at all - the main difference being it's an all alloy unit - whereas the Family 2 had a cast iron block and an alloy head.

Astra G SRi engine
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/Vectracious/Opelaus/astragsri.jpg

Vectra B 2.2 engine
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/Vectracious/Opelaus/Vectraengine.jpg

Yes those aint the same engine, however the 2.2L SRI astra G engine was made in melb as well.

The Veccy b 2.2L was the first stage, the Astra 2.2L was the second stage, they learnt from there mistakes from the veccy, and re-designed the block.

vectraguy01
27th June 2008, 05:47 PM
And by the way i never stated the veccy b and g engines were the same.

rjastra
27th June 2008, 06:25 PM
Umm the Astra 2.2L (L850) in the TS SRi was in no way related to the 2.2L in the Vectra. All alloy, camchain. Even the way the inlet/exhaust is setup is different.
The astra 2.2L engine has the inlet at the front and exhaust exiting at the rear of the engine.

Initial report on the then new Astra SRi 2.2 (TS)

At the heart of the car is the first of a new family of GM engines dubbed L850, which will find their way into cars from the new Vectra to Saab 9-3, and the relative youth of the powerplant is obvious. It is a smooth, quiet and responsive unit with a broad useable spread of torque that continues to deliver right through to redline. Maximum outputs are 108kiloWatts and 203 Newton-metres.

vectraguy01
27th June 2008, 06:42 PM
If you have these engine codes then you know where you car's engine was built!
Engine No.: Z22SETA099999
("TA" in number = built at MELBOURNE plant)
Engine No.: Z22SE11099999
("11" in number = built at Kaiserslautern plant)

The majority of the Z22SE was made in Kaiserslautern, however there was quite a few that was made in Melbourne.

95' GSI
27th June 2008, 06:46 PM
Dont attack me but isnt this about fuel?
I know it started off that way but its kinda moved off topic...