PDA

View Full Version : Digital fuel gauge

BEK-46P
16th June 2008, 09:58 PM
Is it just mine or do all the SRI's remaining petrol (in km) readout on the LCD have inaccuracies? I started off the trip with 400kms left on my LCD, and after a short drive (no more than 5kms), it read 375! I've only down 3200kms so far.

Ishley
17th June 2008, 08:16 AM
It also depends on how aggressive you are with your right foot. The more heavily you use your right foot, the more the fuel comsumption.

If you watch the fuel consumption as you take off of drive around you will get the idea of what I am saying.

Wraith
17th June 2008, 08:53 AM
Is it just mine or do all the SRI's remaining petrol (in km) readout on the LCD have inaccuracies? I started off the trip with 400kms left on my LCD, and after a short drive (no more than 5kms), it read 375! I've only down 3200kms so far.

This has been brought up numerous times before.

It does in fact appear that some trip meters read outs are dodgy or inaccurate, even with other models of Astra and even other car types as well !!!

My TS Astra is also way off the mark and gives me readings of up to 3ltrs/100km less than what the engine actually uses !

My Calibras read out is almost accurate...

I'm a member of the BMW 1 series forums and even the new 135i seems to have an inaccurate reading trip meter with regards to fuel burn !!!

Makes you wonder if manufacturers are 'setting it up' that way to give owners a better or less worrying feel about fuel consumption LOL :D

As always, best way to determine your cars fuel burn is to physically document how much goes in the tank, do your mileage readings and re-fill the tank to double check how much was used...do this at least 3 times and monitor the way you drive the car as well and also document the type/brand of fuel used and that'll give you a perfect reading on your cars fuel burn :)

imay
17th June 2008, 09:14 AM
Don't forget that the "distance remaining" readout is based on your CURRENT fuel consumption. That is: The estimated remaining distance left to travel at your current fuel consumption.
Get out on the open road, and cruise at a constant (relatively) low speed and your distance remaining to empty can actually increase as you drive before starting to drop again. Return to stop-start city driving and your distance to empty will plummet again.
As I said, it's all relative to your CURRENT average fuel consumption. Probably not worth putting a great deal of faith in this readout. Trust your fuel gauge more and fill up when it hits 1/4 tank.

Tigra
17th June 2008, 02:33 PM
So be on the safe side, as soon as you see the fuel light on the dash. FILL UP. The Tigra uses the same onboard Computer readout as the Astra and I have simular problems.

MitchSRi
18th June 2008, 12:42 AM
It takes a few tanks of PULP/ULP to level out too.

and yes sports mode will increase fuel consumption slightly.

BTW I have 19,000kms on my SRi 2.2 and atm get 9.5-10.3L/100km city driving.

bornwild
21st June 2008, 04:15 PM
As said, the remaining kilometres are calculated according to the most recent average fuel consumption(like over the last 5 or 10kms)

cbrmale
22nd June 2008, 02:15 PM
I have an AH SRi 2.2 automatic, and I get 8.4 litres/100km around town and about 7.5 on the highway. The overall consumption since I got the car 15,000 km ago is 8.0 on the trip computer, and 8.2 if calculated by litres and distance. So the computer in my car is quite accurate.

I can't understand why drivers with manual 2.2s get such high consumption. Mine obviously benefits from Canberra's free-flowing traffic and lack of traffic lights, but it is a hilly city and we do have relatively high urban cruise speeds of 80 almost everywhere, which means fairly hard acceleration to get up to cruise speed after slowing or stopping.

USC
22nd June 2008, 02:57 PM
I have an AH SRi 2.2 automatic, and I get 8.4 litres/100km around town and about 7.5 on the highway. The overall consumption since I got the car 15,000 km ago is 8.0 on the trip computer, and 8.2 if calculated by litres and distance. So the computer in my car is quite accurate.

I can't understand why drivers with manual 2.2s get such high consumption. Mine obviously benefits from Canberra's free-flowing traffic and lack of traffic lights, but it is a hilly city and we do have relatively high urban cruise speeds of 80 almost everywhere, which means fairly hard acceleration to get up to cruise speed after slowing or stopping.

caberra is a tiny place..
drive in melbourne n u`ll go nuts with traffic EVERWHERE!

chrissn89
22nd June 2008, 08:57 PM
caberra is a tiny place..
drive in melbourne n u`ll go nuts with traffic EVERWHERE!

Try Brisbane you don't even move to get up too speed........