PDA

View Full Version : Debadging the lion for the bolt

BEK-46P
14th June 2008, 03:19 PM
Ok, I'm maybe definitely getting the chrome Opel grille. If I do, I need to remove the Holden badge from the back and replace it with the Opel one. Is there an easy, non paint-destructive method of doing this?

immenotu
14th June 2008, 03:26 PM
Heat the badge up with a heat gun (or leave it in the sun if you dont have one) then run fishing line behind the badge in a gentle sawing motion. Then just remove the left over glue by heating up and gently rubbing off (use gloves because it'll be really hot if you use a heat gun) Bug and tar remover should clean up any residue then give it a polish.

BEK-46P
14th June 2008, 03:33 PM
Actually I just did some research on this. Apparently, people be using hairdryers??? I'm a bit paranoid about using the fishing line - will this damage the paint or the badge? And how about attaching the new Opel badge? Will double-sided tape hold? Which brand? Plus can anyone point me in the direction where I can get the right rear Opel badge for an '07 SRI coupe and for what price?

guy 27
14th June 2008, 03:39 PM
i used hot water and a credit card to remove the rear badge. worked a treat. but it did leave a bit of glue behind. took a few minutes to clean by picking it off then a quick polish to the area.
for applying the rear badge, try to get a new one if possible and its already got double sided tape on it so you just pop it on. otherwise 3M double sided tape should do the job just fine

immenotu
14th June 2008, 04:03 PM
Actually I just did some research on this. Apparently, people be using hairdryers??? I'm a bit paranoid about using the fishing line - will this damage the paint or the badge? And how about attaching the new Opel badge? Will double-sided tape hold? Which brand? Plus can anyone point me in the direction where I can get the right rear Opel badge for an '07 SRI coupe and for what price?

Yeah a hair dryer will work, just a bit slower and will have to hold it closer to the car to heat the area up. The fishing line wont damage the paint, but make sure you wash the area around it first as your hands will slide along the paint and any dirt could cause scratches. The badges are pretty solid so the fishing line wont hurt it.

As for getting the badge, www.irmscher-bitz.com (http://www.irmscher-bitz.com/) might have the right one.

EDIT: http://www.irmscher-bitz.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_26&products_id=73 There you go :)

sooty
14th June 2008, 04:14 PM
Another option is just flood the badge with bug and tar remover, then use the fishing line behind it, worked a treat for mine, you'll need a decent length of around 20lb line though as i had to use 30lb in the end cos my 8lb kept breaking. Once the badge is off, more bug and tar remover and the rest of the glue comes right off for a smooth as a baby's bum look. Before you grab the blitz, you should try removing the lion, they actually look really good with a flat back and i was tempted not to put my badge on...:)

BEK-46P
14th June 2008, 04:28 PM
That did cross my mind initially. Ok, time for some precognitive visualising, i.e. Photoshop :)

Dowie
14th June 2008, 06:13 PM
I used fishing line and a hairdryer for mine and it worked a treat, no scratches or anything!
That excess glue was a bastard to get off though manually.. :mad:

USC
14th June 2008, 07:26 PM
I used fishing line and a hairdryer for mine and it worked a treat, no scratches or anything!
That excess glue was a bastard to get off though manually.. :mad:

fishing line is the best..but buy the good stuff (not the cheap one)..as the good stuff is very thin and very strong. I have removed glued spoilers and bodykits with it! works perfectly..use a bit of wd-40 as lube during the slicing process to prevent the fishing line from snapping. will not scratch paint work.

Tigra
14th June 2008, 07:27 PM
Heat the badge up with a heat gun (or leave it in the sun if you dont have one) then run fishing line behind the badge in a gentle sawing motion. Then just remove the left over glue by heating up and gently rubbing off (use gloves because it'll be really hot if you use a heat gun) Bug and tar remover should clean up any residue then give it a polish.

Ditto.

daiflu
14th June 2008, 07:50 PM
I used hairdryer and credit card. Was a quick, easy job. F&*ked the card though.
Get a genuine opel badge, the adhesive on the back will keep it on , no problems.