PDA

View Full Version : He who posts 1st, doesn't necessarily win

Rhino
15th July 2004, 06:01 PM
Now, berate me as you will...

Honestly guys (I'm not picking on you 1nut), you really do need to think about what you are posting on this forum. Someone might actually believe it. Not just this thread (http://opelaus.com/phpBB2-3/viewtopic.php?t=2123&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=), in general.

There have been quite a few misguided old wives tales appearing on the site of late (and admittedly I may have thrown a log on that fire) and although forums are here for the exchange of information, incorrect information from your brother's mate's uncle who used to work for Chrysler helps no-one and starts to raise questions of credibility to the site/club. If you have a reliable source, quote them.

Most of us - from what I can tell, are quite happy to research ADR legallities and make sure mods are legal, but don't invest the same amount of time making sure that their 'advice' is sound.

And the whole "It's pinging" issue really has to stop. If you rang a mechanic of 10 years experience and told him your car was ticking, do you think he would say "It's pinging for sure".? Not likely.

Forums are responsible for a huge exchange of information and ideas. I don't think it is unrealistic for ours to be informative, fun and accurate.

journo
15th July 2004, 09:56 PM
LMAO...

I love statements that being with

I'm not picking on you (but) ......

They just crack me up.
thanks for the laugh.

Rhino
16th July 2004, 11:13 AM
That was originally posted in the thread I linked to, and it looked like a direct attack on onenutsbigger - which it wasn't.

PS: If you're going to quote, then quote, don't make it up:

(I'm not picking on you 1nut)

You're welcome for the laugh. :wink:

Jass
16th July 2004, 09:44 PM
Kinda defeats the point of having a discussion forum though?? I dont think anyone here can say they know the workings of Opel cars back to front, and no one on this site has all the knowledge needed to answer all the questions that we have. I guess it should be seen more as a place to gather diferent ideas to make up your own mind about your particular problem. If someone here comes on and take things they hear and see like gospel then thats upto them.

Just my two cents, at the end of the day we are all responsible for what we do to our cars and how we take care of them.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ultim8DTM5
16th July 2004, 10:07 PM
But but but Rhino, where will all the keyboard warriors go? Back to offtopic.net? :mrgreen:

Rhino
17th July 2004, 09:49 PM
That's passing the buck a bit don't you think Jose?

Is it inconceivable that as a group we strive to help eachother as much as possible?

I'm not arguing the right to post an opinion, I'm talking about IMPORTANT technical matters where people flat out do not know what they are talking about and should stick to reading only.

ultim8DTM5
17th July 2004, 11:14 PM
You're 100% correct, although IMO anyone who takes an internet discussion opinion over a qualified mechanical opinion should get what they deserve- there should be no rewards in life for gullibility

mr_astra_retired
18th July 2004, 12:00 AM
Spot on Pete !!

Jass
18th July 2004, 12:00 PM
Agree fellas

Rhino
19th July 2004, 11:14 AM
Yeah I know. I'm just one of those guys that keeps getting sucked in to helping people... when will I learn?

:bang:

Anonymous
19th July 2004, 12:09 PM
LOL, where is this pinging thread. i haven't seen it yet?

Seriously, on another note, when people start acting like cowboys, thinking they know too much, this forum starts to look a little like fast fours, i.e, a select group of people who think they are god almighty in the world of opel.

Sorry people, friendly questions no matter naive they are should get friendly guided responses. 8) 8) 8)

If your going to act big, prepare to be brought down to earth. :evil:

corsaboy
19th July 2004, 01:48 PM
Hot 4s = Rice 4s! :mrgreen:

Turblue
19th July 2004, 02:50 PM
Autumn....

My concern as Webmaster are threads that have potential for costing someone dearly.

I have said this before, and Rhino is posting this again in his own words. Think smart, post smart.

Recent threads such as this ticking thing, and resetting the ecu are of great concern to me. There is so much crap on these threads, I just can't believe it. I do not profess to be an expert, but I realise as some do that this is crazy.

You all need to understand that someone will try these things. And sure it is on their heads. BUT... have a think before you post. The attitude that it is someone else's problem just will not do.

Questions are not a problem. But lame responses are. If you do not know absolutely what the answer is, KEEP QUIET...!!!! I do not want to be responsible legally or morally for someone that blew their car up due to crap advice found on our forum.

If I need to follow up on this, believe me I will.

Anonymous
19th July 2004, 04:29 PM
it's a valid point your making.

however, if I had not posted a thread about the ecu, how many people would even know about the OBDII sensors, or that they even exist?

FYI and anyone elses, I'm 18. I basically got into the car scene last year, and my knowledge of cars is limited to magazine articles in zoom, speed, fast fours and motor/wheels.

We all have to learn somewhere.

And if someone posts advice that would cause damage, I certainly hope it would be up to the individual to take his/her own discretion when acting upon it.

So, in all due respect, update your terms of agreement for opelaus, and create a disclaimer. This isn't the only forum where silly advice is posted, and its also not the only forum where everybody knows everything about cars.

As much as this thread is a mature and well thought response to a serious topic, it's also a waste of space.

If you know what is being posted is wrong, correct it and add your 2 cents!

Anonymous
19th July 2004, 04:33 PM
I also find these kind of replies a waste of space, and time. In fact, they're a little demeaning.

"I've found that putting the middle finger of your right hand in your left ear and singing Boy George songs works.

Oh and you might want to investigate the concept of obd2 drive cycles.

:screwy: :bang: :screwy: :bang: "

I was expecting something a little more mature from soemone that knows a little on the matter.

I don't want to stir trouble, but as long as this thread is open to public opinion, I'll make sure mine get's heard too.

Rhino
19th July 2004, 05:39 PM
Sorry AA, I PMd you instead of posting...

I agree with alot of what you say AA.

And although it is open to interpretation on what exactly is a 'stupid' post, the underlying point that we are trying to get across is:

1. Think before you post; and as much as is possible
2. Add value to the site.

From a personal stand point, I would just rather a member of the club think:
"I might ask Rhino", rather than, "Gee, he talks sh1te"

But, I honestly think we are exhausting this point now...

Let's get back to talking about cars/chicks/blokes...

woody
19th July 2004, 05:47 PM
YAY!!! CARS - love em - got four wheels and go fast (sometimes)
YAY!!! CHICKS - dig em - lovely lasses in fast cars!!...
YAY!!! Blokes.. erm well they're ok too..

Seus
19th July 2004, 06:14 PM
From what i have seen
the discussions you guys have about technical issues are more trust worthy than basically eveything else out there on the net
maybe it because you guys (not me) see each other on cruises and what not
i too can only talk from limited magazine, website, friends knowledge which isn't great
but i will say something if i know of it, and usually without a reservation on its exact truth

comments?

Dregger
19th July 2004, 06:24 PM
*note* autumn acid....you aggreed to the disclaimer when you join OA. but nobody reads them and everyone forgets that they did.

Anonymous
19th July 2004, 07:57 PM
In that instance, you guys are covered. Your not legally entitled to pay for any bad mistakes as a result of the stuff thats put up on this board.

Personally, it's time mods came down harder on what was being posted. Establish warning systems and monitor information without being too tedious. I spoke to turblue over the phone about opelaus today. It was a good conversation, and there were plenty of ideas exchanged.

I may not be the oldest member, but I have been a part of boards from day 1, and I know that good communication between members, mods and admins leads to a more productive experience... for everyone.

As a group we have to avoid making assumptions, and stop subjecting ourselves to bullshit. It just doesn't cut it anymore. Let the posts be intelligent, and constructive. There is a time and place for bullshit, and thats the off topic forum 8)

I also feel that before opelaus starts getting bigger, we start monitoring any signs of ethug-ness. Other car forums have been plagued with people who are holier than thou, and it makes me sick. Nobody knows everything, we're all learning something new.

If everyone shows respect, posts intelligently, and in general, keeps it real, opelaus goes forward instead of backwards, we don't turn off new members, and the established members won't feel the need to stray.

But as soon as someone steps out of line, shows disrespect, gets a superiority complex.... I HOPE YOUR HEAD GETS BANNED FROM THIS SITE.

Jass
19th July 2004, 08:22 PM
First off let me just say that its cool that the word bullshit didn't get moderated :mrgreen:

Also in the point of e-thugness is a very good sugestion, there are a few members in here who hide behind pc's and basically treat other members as shit, when a topic or thread does not meet what the think is the correct interpretation.

journo
19th July 2004, 11:14 PM
I must say guys, the 18 year old is truly on to something...

While utter garbage posted as truth is annoying consider this.
In my workplace I am bombarded with bullshit 10 hours a day, and all night on the email which I find each morning at the start of another 10 hours.

Everything I write and forward to the editor comes from my ability (yet to fail, but inevitably will) to filter out what I consider to be false.

When I make a mistake chances are I will at best have to write a public apology, at worst watch my employer be sued for defamation and if I am really unlucky or stuffed up really bad... lose my job, career and be sued myself.

Now if I and about 10,000 other journalists in this country can manage to wade through whats false and come up with truths (yeah go on say stuff about journalists never getting it right) so should the people on this forum.

Surely people when playing with their cars will use the forum as food for thought and be sensible enough to dig further than OA.

Oh yeah, sorry again about the misquote thing up the top of the thread.

By the way, disclaimers don't always get people off the hook but in so far as it is obvious published (posted in threads) info is individual opinions then, depending on the State, the site is not to blame.

Mr T
20th July 2004, 05:43 PM
here!!, here!!

to the last three posts :!: :!:

Rhino
21st July 2004, 11:24 AM
Now if I and about 10,000 other journalists in this country can manage to wade through whats false and come up with truths (yeah go on say stuff about journalists never getting it right) so should the people on this forum.
Maybe we should rename 'Moderators' to 'Editors' :wink:

Oh yeah, sorry again about the misquote thing up the top of the thread.
Don't sweat it. I'm not a bad guy... honestly.

Jass
21st July 2004, 01:33 PM
Yeah Rhino is a good guy ill back that up :mrgreen:

ultim8DTM5
21st July 2004, 08:10 PM
Can you feel the love? :P