PDA

View Full Version : Hood upgrade opinions (pics included)

astrauturbo
9th June 2008, 09:43 PM
Well this has been photoshoped by me, Dont laugh at it :p, Um let me know if u think it looks good as i might buy a second hand hood and transform it into that,

The intercooler is Fake aswell :P, But i might be upgrading that aswell down the track.

http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs26/f/2008/161/0/d/Astra_Conversion1_by_l009l.jpg

poita
9th June 2008, 09:52 PM
someones been on digimods :p

maybe leave it the same colour but the hood scoop looks alright :)

astrauturbo
9th June 2008, 09:58 PM
yeah wasnt too sure if i should colour it different or not. But the scoop i am
really keen on. You can buy those evo scoops right and install them on other
hoods?

glider
9th June 2008, 10:02 PM
the scoop looks schmick

poita
9th June 2008, 10:04 PM
same scoop as mr corsa isnt it?

astrauturbo
9th June 2008, 10:18 PM
same scoop as mr corsa isnt it?

really i might need to speak to him then.

astrauturbo
9th June 2008, 11:17 PM
i guess something like this
http://www.ozkits.com.au/site/1446035/product/NW0003

or
http://www.ozkits.com.au/site/1446035/product/NW0002

Charlatan
10th June 2008, 08:31 AM
when did aussies start calling the bonnet a 'hood'?

SSS_Hoon
10th June 2008, 08:49 AM
yeah mr corsa has that evo vent in his BONNET (hood for the cool skool kids).

Not to sure about the CF though, and the FMIC would get too much cop attention(same as the CF bonnet).

I too have been thinking about getting some vents on the SSS bonnet to aid in getting rid of some of the damm heat that builds up in there, but worried about the rain, so what happens when it rains does it just go all over the engine and engine bay?

SSS_Hoon

btm
10th June 2008, 10:05 AM
i like the scoop

Wraith
10th June 2008, 10:26 AM
Yep, that's an Evo style scoop...personally I'm not a fan of that look on a TS Astra, but if it's what you want, then go for it :)

You can get these for most Opels from many O/S suppliers, but if you find them locally, it'll save you $$$ on shipping...

imay
10th June 2008, 10:43 AM
Don't mind the scoop/vent, if that's what you want . . . but looks like you haven't quite got around to painting the bonnet yet (still in delivery matt black primer).
Photoshop it the same color as the rest of the car and I think the difference will be quite dramatic.

Your car, go with what YOU like!

SSS_Hoon
10th June 2008, 12:08 PM
^^ not sure wether your taking the piss or not, but the bonnet is meant to be that color carbon fibre look alike.

How much are the vents to buy have you looked into that?

SSS_Hoon

imay
10th June 2008, 01:40 PM
^^ not sure wether your taking the piss or not, but the bonnet is meant to be that color carbon fibre look alike.

I understand it's supposed to look like that . . . my opinion only, but to me it looks as though it's an unpainted panel regardless of whether it's supposed to look like c.f. or not. Personally I don't like it. Sits somewhere between racing stripes and stick on flames!

SSS_Hoon
10th June 2008, 02:09 PM
I understand it's supposed to look like that . . . my opinion only, but to me it looks as though it's an unpainted panel regardless of whether it's supposed to look like c.f. or not. Personally I don't like it. Sits somewhere between racing stripes and stick on flames!

ok sweet i thought that is what you meant but wasnt sure.

Yeah i not a big fan of the carbon fibre look on cars that are a completly different colour to it. on darker colour (black) they dont look too bad as not as noticable

SSS_Hoon

rjastra
10th June 2008, 02:14 PM
I thought carbon fibre bonnets were essentially illegal. They don't pass crash tests.

Best to check with your insurance company before getting one fitted.

sooty
10th June 2008, 02:16 PM
I thought carbon fibre bonnets were essentially illegal. They don't pass crash tests.

i assume it'd just be finished to look like CF, not actually made of it :)

btm
10th June 2008, 02:21 PM
there is a silver astra with that scoop that lives just around the corner from me. i'll try and get a pic and post it up for you

auzvectra
10th June 2008, 03:55 PM
this is pretty much exactly what i have had planned for ages, but havent got round to doing, bar the cf, i would say steel bonnet (orig bonnet) with silver, but most likely charcoal, to look sort of like cf, but more just to look different.
i know that a lot of people dont like it like that, but thus is the side effect of being different, it's really just up to the owner of the car really ;).
oh and the cooler will have to sit further forward :p, i should know, u stole my idea from the cooler :p.
y dont u grab a pic of my car (if u can find 1 suitable) and mod the bonnet from there, save having to do the cooler in photoshop aswell.

auzvectra
10th June 2008, 04:01 PM
here's the vent
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170226207539

astrauturbo
10th June 2008, 06:43 PM
there is a silver astra with that scoop that lives just around the corner from me. i'll try and get a pic and post it up for you

Sweet If you could I would love too see :D

i should know, u stole my idea from the cooler :p.

Yeah i kinda did but, there are some ive seen in the uk and germany that Look really pro, they are on the astra owners club site ive seen, I am not sayin urs isnt, its just u never really finished it properly. (do u still have that hole in the mesh?? :p)

here's the vent
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170226207539

Yeah something like that would look sweet!!

Yes they are illegal but u can always get fake carbon fiber :p

astrauturbo
10th June 2008, 07:02 PM

How much are the vents to buy have you looked into that?

SSS_Hoon

The vents are $150 roughtly, guess if you shop around maybe you can find cheaper. Like matt did on ebay :D

auzvectra
10th June 2008, 07:04 PM
so u sayin mine looks bodgey :p.
well i guess it does, but nething unfinished normally does ;).

Ajay
10th June 2008, 07:18 PM
do it! do it!

if it looks good i will too :)... you can be the one who does the test on your 'hood'

astrauturbo
10th June 2008, 07:28 PM
do it! do it!

if it looks good i will too :)... you can be the one who does the test on your 'hood'

Haha ill let matt do it first :p jks, if i do it i am planning on doing it at the end of this year if things work out.

so u sayin mine looks bodgey :p.
well i guess it does, but nething unfinished normally does ;).

nah it looks good it kinda reminds me of an audi front especially with the black mesh you got on it, and for the record audi's are HOT!

aza28
10th June 2008, 08:42 PM
this idea looks familiar, hehe ;)

go for it man. i think it looks beta cf on silver than it does cf on arden blue. the cooler looks great, if only you didn't need to find a spot for the damn number plate.

astrauturbo
10th June 2008, 09:00 PM
this idea looks familiar, hehe ;)

go for it man. i think it looks beta cf on silver than it does cf on arden blue. the cooler looks great, if only you didn't need to find a spot for the damn number plate.

Haha yeah i know i was thinking about that :p

blueraven
10th June 2008, 09:03 PM
the reiger bonnets or the similar custom bonnets i have seen on astraownersclub.com are way better :)

astrauturbo
10th June 2008, 09:24 PM
the reiger bonnets or the similar custom bonnets i have seen on astraownersclub.com are way better :)

Links?

Dowie
10th June 2008, 10:22 PM
Personally i dont think you should colour it like i said the same with Aza's.
BUT
I lurve the scoop.
DOOO EET!
:D

OPC
11th June 2008, 10:26 PM

AGREED...

JR
13th June 2008, 04:13 PM
Links?

a couple of images here for ya. just to give ya an idea.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/jrappai/Da%20Car/OpelAus/feature_pic.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e122/jrappai/Da%20Car/OpelAus/astrariegerbonnet.jpg

vectraguy01
13th June 2008, 06:28 PM
nah it looks good it kinda reminds me of an audi front especially with the black mesh you got on it, and for the record audi's are HOT!

I know it does, mine might look like that sometime soon, plus mines black so it already looks hot to trot :p

astrauturbo
14th June 2008, 08:47 PM
I know it does, mine might look like that sometime soon, plus mines black so it already looks hot to trot :p

Hehe, yeah cant wait to see your car, Guess ill see it at the show.

And thanks JR for the pics. the red astras hood looks interesting!!

Jerram
14th June 2008, 11:52 PM
if you're routing straight from your hood to an air fileter for the injected models (not turbo), what's the best way to prevent hydrolock?...coz we all know how much that sucks

SKM_87
15th June 2008, 07:26 PM
dont drive in the rain

astrauturbo
16th June 2008, 05:20 PM
if you're routing straight from your hood to an air fileter for the injected models (not turbo), what's the best way to prevent hydrolock?...coz we all know how much that sucks

Probably not a good idea. But if you want cold air and no water in ur engine. Do a wheel arch induction.

glider
16th June 2008, 05:33 PM
Probably not a good idea. But if you want cold air and no water in ur engine. Do a wheel arch induction.

ditto, i've driven in rain a bit and checked when i got home... intake didnt have a drop on it..