PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Astra - I think we should all start getting excited

spikeyboy22
5th June 2008, 10:53 PM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/222861/vauxhall-astra-vxr.html

THE wraps are off the hottest Astra ever! In a world exclusive, Auto Express can reveal the high-performance version of Vauxhall’s new family car – the eagerly anticipated Astra VXR.

Taking over from the current model – one of the most ferocious hot hatches in its class – the flagship is even more aggressive. It has a rakish look and a raft of new technology, including a fresh turbocharged powerplant and uprated suspension that will offer even sharper handling.

The Astra VXR arrives in showrooms in 2010, and will go into battle with the Ford Focus ST (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/221010/ford_focus_st.html) and Volkswagen’s all-new Golf GTI, which is due at around the same time. Other manufacturers will be bringing out revised and uprated hot hatches by then, too, so the VXR needs to be on top of its game. As you can see from these images, it builds on the styling of the Astra, adding an array of go-faster items to the three-door family hatch’s sleek, coupé-like shape.

As befits the VXR brand, it gets a ground-hugging bodykit and massive air intakes at the front, as well as a diffuser-style rear bumper, complete with a central exhaust.

Details such as 19-inch alloys, a roof spoiler and a range of bright body colours finish the hot hatch look. Inside, as with the rest of the Astra range, the newcomer gets a totally redesigned cabin, as seen in our exclusive spy shot (see panel, opposite). High-quality soft-touch materials will be used, while equipment including a Bluetooth phone connection and a stereo compatible with MP3 players is set to appear.

On the VXR, the interior will be enhanced by heavily bolstered sports seats, a chunky steering wheel and brightly coloured trim inserts. The current Astra VXR (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/newreviews/207285/vauxhall_astra_vxr.html) isn’t lacking in fireworks – it was the most powerful hot hatch available until the Mazda 3 MPS arrived – and the newcomer will continue this ethos.

However, with pressure to reduce emissions and increase fuel economy, the second-generation VXR will replace the 237bhp 2.0-litre turbocharged unit with a new 1.8-litre motor. It will still be turbocharged and boast around 240bhp, allowing a 0-60mph time of six seconds and a 150mph top speed, but it will be cleaner and more economical, too.

There is also the outside chance of a diesel VXR. With a new range of 2.0-litre CDTI units debuting in the Insignia later this year, Vauxhall bosses have the option of a high-perfomance oil-burner – particularly as the line-up includes a 168bhp version.

As for the chassis, the Astra gets General Motors’ new Delta platform, which will also underpin Chevrolet’s forthcoming Lacetti (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/208989/chevrolet_lacetti.html) replacement and the Saab 9-1. The platform makes use of lightweight materials and has a multilink rear suspension layout.

Lowered and stiffened springs, plus electronically controlled dampers, should ensure that the Astra VXR is a grippy, agile and involving hot hatch. What’s more, the dampers, steering and throttle response can all be sharpened at the touch of a button. While the Insignia VXR will get a new four-wheel-drive system, the Astra will remain front-wheel drive, which means engineers will have to work hard to contain the torque steer and improve the poor traction of the current generation VXR.

Expect to see the first concept car previewing the new Astra at the Paris Motor Show in October. Sales will start before the end of 2009, with the VXR arriving in 2010.

poita
5th June 2008, 10:58 PM
already been posted.
its just a chop of an astra and a corsa.

or as this really smart cool funny guy said
"looks like an astra has mounted a corsa"

95' GSI
5th June 2008, 10:59 PM
:( I want piccys lol.

poita
5th June 2008, 11:09 PM
click on the link on the first post :p

tim_
5th June 2008, 11:12 PM
or as this really smart cool funny guy said
"looks like an astra has mounted a corsa"

i heard he was a bit of a nancy myself...

USC
5th June 2008, 11:13 PM
:( I want piccys lol.

check the link.

double post.

95' GSI
5th June 2008, 11:18 PM
they didnt come up for me

Wraith
6th June 2008, 09:03 AM
1.8ltr turbo 4 potter with 176kw................ :rolleyes:

And you want us to start getting excited, what a let down !!!

BTW that's a really bad chop job on those pics.

USC
6th June 2008, 10:38 AM
1.8ltr turbo 4 potter with 176kw................ :rolleyes:

And you want us to start getting excited, what a let down !!!

BTW that's a really bad chop job on those pics.

how about torque?

bornwild
6th June 2008, 11:48 AM
If it's lighter than the current VXR by 100-150kg and those specs....SWOEEET!!!

Wraith
6th June 2008, 01:13 PM
If it's lighter than the current VXR by 100-150kg and those specs....SWOEEET!!!

If that's the case, then say bye bye to AWD for the next VXR as AWD will add around 150-200kg !!!

I'd rather have AWD and a more powerful 2.0ltr or maybe step up to a turbo version of the 2.2ltr !!!

The Japs have no probs raising their displacement levels and still achieving required emissions and efficiency levels as well as awesome power outputs on their smaller 4 bangers, why can't the Europeans do the same ?? :rolleyes:

Wraith
6th June 2008, 01:16 PM
how about torque?

I don't think it's mentioned, but can safely say it'll be less than an equivalant 2.0ltr...

dieselhead
6th June 2008, 01:22 PM
Unless there's an AWD version with a 4 pot (at least) 160 kW turbodiesel, I'll stick with the one I've got now. Then, say in 2011, buy an Audi :)

Wraith
6th June 2008, 01:59 PM
Unless there's an AWD version with a 4 pot (at least) 160 kW turbodiesel, I'll stick with the one I've got now. Then, say in 2011, buy an Audi :)

Good choice, for once I'll agree with you :)

USC
6th June 2008, 02:06 PM

thats if they still have petrol until then....otherwise you`d be driving your electric audi around..LOL..hahaha

bornwild
6th June 2008, 02:31 PM
If that's the case, then say bye bye to AWD for the next VXR as AWD will add around 150-200kg !!!

I'd rather have AWD and a more powerful 2.0ltr or maybe step up to a turbo version of the 2.2ltr !!!

The Japs have no probs raising their displacement levels and still achieving required emissions and efficiency levels as well as awesome power outputs on their smaller 4 bangers, why can't the Europeans do the same ?? :rolleyes:

I'm not too sure about japs achieving efficiency even remotely close to the germans lol :p

Key is less weight...don't worry about power. If you have less weight you don't need more power and you'll be drinking less fuel. :)

I remember that little VW roadster concept about 2yrs ago, it weighed around 600kg and used a 1.5l TDi engine with rear-wheel drive...GOD that was a fine car and it could drift like no tomorrow and used only about 3-4l/100km :)

That's the future ladies and gentlemen

Wraith
6th June 2008, 03:18 PM
I'm not too sure about japs achieving efficiency even remotely close to the germans lol :p

Key is less weight...don't worry about power. If you have less weight you don't need more power and you'll be drinking less fuel. :)

I remember that little VW roadster concept about 2yrs ago, it weighed around 600kg and used a 1.5l TDi engine with rear-wheel drive...GOD that was a fine car and it could drift like no tomorrow and used only about 3-4l/100km :)

That's the future ladies and gentlemen

Yes - but - a lighter vehicle, in this case Astra VXR, won't have AWD !!!

We were expecting a top performance new Astra, VXR model, to have AWD and loads more power, without this it'll never become a top performance hatch..

The other major point is also that with a reduction in weight comes an increase in price, because of the greater amounts of aluminium/composites used in the vehicles make up !!!

I'm sure people in the market for Astras, don't want to spend big ;)

As for efficiency, I believe the Japanese n/a 4 potters are on top...and would be on top with specific power outputs too :)

And try selling that 600kg VW roadster you mentioned to the majority of the car market out there looking for a family or a practical vehicle :)

Tigra
6th June 2008, 03:32 PM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_528/car_photo_264357_25.jpg

Has more of a sleek sporty look to it IMO.

bornwild
6th June 2008, 03:32 PM
Astra VXR ain't a family or practical vehicle :p

Wraith
6th June 2008, 03:39 PM
Astra VXR ain't a family or practical vehicle :p

True :)

But given a choice, it'll do over any roadster ;)

That pic above looks better from that angle....now all it needs is AWD and a MIN. 220kw 2.0 or 2.2ltr turbo and it's set to become something very good :)

bornwild
6th June 2008, 03:56 PM
Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be a roadster...it can be a coupe ;)

Wraith
6th June 2008, 04:25 PM
Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be a roadster...it can be a coupe ;)

That's not what I meant....

I'm answering your previous post on the VXR not being practical, in saying it's better at practicality than a 2 seater roadster ! :)

bornwild
6th June 2008, 04:26 PM
lol yeah yeah I know but you were referring back to the VW concept I mentioned...that concept may as well be a coupe with more space than the VXR and more practicality...it can also be a performance family sedan weighing 900-1000kg and having a 3.0l TDi producing 250kW and 600Nm torque....you never know ;)

SIMid
6th June 2008, 04:28 PM
Too many speculations. Will have to wait for confirmed details.

Wraith
6th June 2008, 04:33 PM
it can also be a performance family sedan weighing 900-1000kg and having a 3.0l TDi producing 250kW and 600Nm torque....you never know ;)

Now that would be something if it ever exists :)

However I'd hate to think of the price of the thing.... :(

Wraith
6th June 2008, 04:33 PM
Too many speculations. Will have to wait for confirmed details.

Very true Simon...

We can only hope it'll turn out really good :)

USC
6th June 2008, 05:06 PM
True :)

But given a choice, it'll do over any roadster ;)

That pic above looks better from that angle....now all it needs is AWD and a MIN. 220kw 2.0 or 2.2ltr turbo and it's set to become something very good :)

dream on...they are thinking of putting a 1.8 L turbo in it.

bornwild
6th June 2008, 05:13 PM
The VXR needs to be fun!...forget AWD...RWD is good enough :D

aussie_in_london
6th June 2008, 09:24 PM
no input from Vxl, all autoexpress bullsh*t

will still be running a 2lt turbo, not due out until 2011, the overall appearance will not look anything like the photshop jobbie bar the interior spy shot (dash) is based on a base model astra

USC
6th June 2008, 11:06 PM
no input from Vxl, all autoexpress bullsh*t

will still be running a 2lt turbo, not due out until 2011, the overall appearance will not look anything like the photshop jobbie bar the interior spy shot (dash) is based on a base model astra

the overall shape of the interior will still look the same no matter what bling they add...looks terrible...they betta change it..lol. the current dash of the AH vxr does not look much different to a CD base model...all silver except for the trim above the glove box.

aussie_in_london
7th June 2008, 12:21 AM
the overall shape of the interior will still look the same no matter what bling they add...looks terrible...they betta change it..lol. the current dash of the AH vxr does not look much different to a CD base model...all silver except for the trim above the glove box.

I have noticed one thing about your posts, you have alot to say about something you know little about lol

and you base to much opinion on pictures ; )

that is an engineering car so its a bit of a mixed bag. But the overall interior is the base trim , the overall concept is inline with production.

As for the H dash being not alot in it from peverty spec to VXR there is some difference but the overall design remains the same, have you got out in a Megane R26? other than seats & number plaque its your mainstream dash and its currently classed as the hot hatch king at present, but lets not forget we are talking hot hatches here not $$$$$$$$$$$ supercars lol

USC
7th June 2008, 12:49 AM
I have noticed one thing about your posts, you have alot to say about something you know little about lol

so do you....;)
unless you work for opel, i wont believe anything u say until they come out.
How do you know the following is true?:
"no input from Vxl, all autoexpress bullsh*t

will still be running a 2lt turbo, not due out until 2011, the overall appearance will not look anything like the photshop jobbie bar the interior spy shot (dash) is based on a base model astra"

bornwild
7th June 2008, 12:54 AM
I too know that Autoexpress talk a lot of shit...so yeah

aussie_in_london
7th June 2008, 12:58 AM
LOL

i dont know anything or anyone in regards to GM/VXL/VXR products.

i have just made it all up as i have gone along lol

NO i dont have the contacts within GM/VXL/VXR or even HSV,

but you may be suprised ; )

one thing you are right about, i dont work for GM Europe :)

USC
7th June 2008, 01:15 AM
Are your contacts engineers or managers?ie do they have a say in how the car will be manufactured?

anyways, this argument is a bit pointless...lets wait and see.

The new astra might be an amazing thing...

bornwild
7th June 2008, 01:17 AM
Designers...

USC
7th June 2008, 01:26 AM
Designers...

fair enough but ultimately, its up to top level management as to what gets released on the market.

bornwild
7th June 2008, 01:33 AM
fair enough but ultimately, its up to top level management as to what gets released on the market.

Well...exactly. I know Holden designers are preparing some stuff for the Insignia so that it gets released but yes, this is by no means a 100% guarantee. Any project can get canned within minutes, especially in times like these.

Wraith
9th June 2008, 02:33 PM
The new astra might be an amazing thing...

All crap and speculation aside, I really hope it will be !