PDA

View Full Version : AH Astra SRI-T Problem?

jsantos
5th June 2008, 01:45 AM
So I was driving home tonight and I noticed a funny smell, it smelt basically like petrol. It was weird I kept driving thought it must of been from some other car. 500m further I came to an uphill round about as i started accelerating (normal acceleration nothing out of the ordinary) the wheels spun and the traction control kicked in, thought it was odd got off the accelerator and tried again the traction control was intermittent the engine kept revving pretty freely even after the TC engaged. Happened in all gears.

To me it felt like the clutch was slipping so I thought it must of been the clutch (although it didn't smell like a burnt clutch) Anyway i parked it and got a tow just in case. It was about 2 hrs between the problem and the tow truck when he got there he started it and didn't realise it was in gear and it jumped back. He then said it shouldn't be doing that if it's the clutch which makes sense and instead of dragging it up onto the truck he drove it up and it worked fine.

It's currently parked at the Holden dealer for them to have a look at it. Any idea's on what it could be?

sadavidsriturbo
5th June 2008, 02:53 AM
I have kinda had the same problem i do notice a funny smell every now and then but not like petrol more like a fish/brakes .... What i have done is removed the traction control /a.b.s.fuse,
I thought id do a burn out before i got my 20s on.
First burn out i did when i popped it into 2nd the clutch just started to fry, so stopped drove home thought **** it got my new wheels.
2nd time it was raining i took off at the lights again with the hand break up 1st fine popped it into 2nd and the clutch started to fry in the wet:confused:
(b.t.w. i do know how to drive so its not my lack of experience)
Anyhow took it into holdens for a service not long after, i told them the clutch was slipping asked if they could adjust it, but apparently its electronic:confused:
They load tested (put in 4th with hand break up and drop the clutch either slips or stalls mine stalled)
So apparently no problem:confused: My tyres where in need of a change (i do hammer the poor thing and the fuse lives in my glove box)so again burn out time i done about 4 decent burn outs all into second and not once did it slip...oh also done a few reverse 2 first's with no slipping.. only thing i can think off first time it happened was around before my first service maybe its just because the clutch was new or maybe electronics ****ing up if what they say is true about the clutch but again holdens dont know much about the sri-t:confused: im a little confused but it has not happened since so i dont worry anymore:confused:
So I was driving home tonight and I noticed a funny smell, it smelt basically like petrol. It was weird I kept driving thought it must of been from some other car. 500m further I came to an uphill round about as i started accelerating (normal acceleration nothing out of the ordinary) the wheels spun and the traction control kicked in, thought it was odd got off the accelerator and tried again the traction control was intermittent the engine kept revving pretty freely even after the TC engaged. Happened in all gears.

To me it felt like the clutch was slipping so I thought it must of been the clutch (although it didn't smell like a burnt clutch) Anyway i parked it and got a tow just in case. It was about 2 hrs between the problem and the tow truck when he got there he started it and didn't realise it was in gear and it jumped back. He then said it shouldn't be doing that if it's the clutch which makes sense and instead of dragging it up onto the truck he drove it up and it worked fine.

It's currently parked at the Holden dealer for them to have a look at it. Any idea's on what it could be?

sadavidsriturbo
5th June 2008, 02:57 AM
oh how many k's has yours done???

SIMid
5th June 2008, 07:40 AM
Some AHs (SRiT & VXRs) do have this slippin clutch syndrome. They have taken their cars back and have to put up a fight with the dealership.

Some clutchs can be adjusted, unfortunately, these can't be. Electronic it aint, it's the throttle thats electronic (fly-by-wire).

If your doing burnouts (poor SRiT), I would suggest in upgrading it. It wont last. But a heavy duty one will last a little longer.

jsantos
5th June 2008, 09:22 AM
Cheers guys, it will be interesting to see what they say.

oh how many k's has yours done???

It's done about 12500 so about 1000 short of the first service (not inc. the 3000k one)

CNBLU
5th June 2008, 09:30 AM
This may sound stupid but check your petrol cap is tightened. This can make the car smell like petrol;)

sadavidsriturbo
5th June 2008, 08:24 PM
Yeah its weird it has not done it since, The service guy said they are electronic but what would they know they cant even get my front brakes to stop squeeking and apparently they machined them?? But anyhow just been giving the stock parts a thrashing then i got some plans for her (about 10gs worth) works out better to just do it all at once :D
Some AHs (SRiT & VXRs) do have this slippin clutch syndrome. They have taken their cars back and have to put up a fight with the dealership.

Some clutchs can be adjusted, unfortunately, these can't be. Electronic it aint, it's the throttle thats electronic (fly-by-wire).

If your doing burnouts (poor SRiT), I would suggest in upgrading it. It wont last. But a heavy duty one will last a little longer.