PDA

View Full Version : Hi OpelAus!

lithium
4th June 2008, 11:09 PM
hey guys,

on a suggestion from an exhaust shop in Sydney who recently modified my (already modified) exhaust, i've joined OpelAus :cool: i'm the owner of a 2001 Barina SRi - great handling car and worth all the slag i cop from my mates for driving a 'girls car'!

last weekend i just finished installing a few bolt-on parts to the Z18XE with pretty good results, and i'm looking for more suggestions from all the experienced guys here. i'll create a thread in the garage section with pics once i have time :)

Eric

EL BURITO
4th June 2008, 11:34 PM
welcome mate

wat sort of bolt ons ?

95' GSI
5th June 2008, 08:58 AM
Hi and Welcome :)

Ice
5th June 2008, 10:24 AM
Gday Gday !

lithium
5th June 2008, 11:44 AM
thanks for the welcome :)

EL BURITO: its got a full exhaust system (4-1 extractors, low restriction cat, 2.5 inch cat back) and an intake manifold imported all the way from Germany

i'll post up pics once i'm home from work :)

Tigra
5th June 2008, 03:19 PM
worth all the slag i cop from my mates for driving a 'girls car'!

Eric

Eric, Welcome to OpelAus. Mate, I can understand what you say in relation to the above, I cop it too. But at the end of the day, whats the definition of a girls car?

Plently of peoples within the group with an SRi and Im sure they will have the pleasure if helping you out.

EL BURITO
5th June 2008, 03:52 PM
Eric, Welcome to OpelAus. Mate, I can understand what you say in relation to the above, I cop it too. But at the end of the day, whats the definition of a girls car?

Plently of peoples within the group with an SRi and Im sure they will have the pleasure if helping you out.
end of the day you have more money to spend on dinner than the guy in the same situation with the V8

mr corsa
5th June 2008, 04:48 PM
hello

Ice
5th June 2008, 05:35 PM
end of the day you have more money to spend on dinner than the guy in the same situation with the V8

yeh and hell be stoppin at every servo on his way there !

immenotu
5th June 2008, 05:45 PM
Welcome mate. Ive got an SRi as well, although I havent had a girl's car comment yet lol. Brilliant cars IMO.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

lithium
6th June 2008, 12:49 AM
i agree, they are brilliant cars! amazing handling for a front wheel drive

now if only GM would learn not to mount the ECU on the engine block :eek: they would have a reliable engine too

actually i find the girls cars comments usually stop once i've taken them for a ride around a road with a couple of good corners on it :dance:

lithium
6th June 2008, 12:58 AM
hello mr corsa

are you the same mr corsa as the one on the corsa-c.uk.co forums with the huge blower strapped to your Z18XE?

bornwild
6th June 2008, 01:40 AM
Hi mate, welcome to the forum :)

hello mr corsa

are you the same mr corsa as the one on the corsa-c.uk.co forums with the huge blower strapped to your Z18XE?

I guess so he's got a couple hundred hp at the wheels lol...crazy!

mr corsa
6th June 2008, 08:06 AM
hello mr corsa

yes

btm
6th June 2008, 09:24 AM
welcome to the site buddy

was it liverpool exhausts?

lithium
6th June 2008, 11:34 AM
it was a shop called best mufflers

Chris (the owner) is a pretty knowledgable guy. they modified and joined a remus backbox onto my exhaust to quieten it down - i was very happy with the result :)

btm
6th June 2008, 03:16 PM
that's where i got my muffler from too :)

where about in sydney are you located, south?

maloo97
6th June 2008, 09:58 PM
that's where i got my muffler from too :)

where about in sydney are you located, south?

Might i add. Scored a pic on the website. Good work bryan.

lithium
6th June 2008, 11:20 PM
i live in the north-west, but i work in Hurstville hence best mufflers

they've got a pic and dyno sheets for a Barina SRi that they built a custom exhaust for on their website so i figured they'd be good guys to go to

what muffler did you get?

btm
10th June 2008, 03:02 PM
the barina was Gildo's, he's a member on here

i got the xforce PT06

http://www.bestmufflers.com/Information/Custom%20Systems/custom_exhaust_system_holden%20_astra_sri.htm

Tfer
10th June 2008, 08:07 PM
Hello and welcome to Opelaus.... enjoy your time here :)

lithium
11th June 2008, 10:30 AM
Hello and welcome to Opelaus.... enjoy your time here :)

thanks Tfer :) i will be here until i can save up for that MPS or whatever cheap-thrill hot hatch is out then! will probably be another good five years
:cool:

GreyRex
24th June 2008, 06:12 PM
Welcome aboard. My previous car was an 04 Barina SRi

Don't know if you've done it yet, but a rear sway bar is a cheap and easy mod with great benefits. Whiteline do them if you're interested...

lithium
24th June 2008, 06:17 PM
Welcome aboard. My previous car was an 04 Barina SRi

Don't know if you've done it yet, but a rear sway bar is a cheap and easy mod with great benefits. Whiteline do them if you're interested...

i was just looking at them today and wondering if it was worthwhile to do it!

what change does it do to the Barinas handling? it seems pretty good already

PaulyJ
24th June 2008, 08:11 PM
Welcome to OA.
The swaybar stiffens up the rear-end, as it does tend to get a little nervous through some hard corners.
Looking at your avatar, looks like you've bought yourself a Dbilas intake manifold... :drool:
Interested to know the type of power increase/response you get with that.

lithium
25th June 2008, 12:25 AM
i have, along with a few other goodies under the bonnet:

http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17093

a live remap is coming in a month or two after the next time i service my car. i should be able to get dyno graphs up then :)

re. sway bar, i find the understeer is what gets me in fast corners more than excessive body roll. did you think the whiteline bars would help that?

EL BURITO
25th June 2008, 01:38 AM
Mate go the sway bar.

I did a write up on the install is easy and stops the car being so tail happy

GreyRex
27th June 2008, 10:58 AM
Mate go the sway bar.

I did a write up on the install is easy and stops the car being so tail happy

IMHO, it's probably the first mod you should do. It really comes into its own through corners... keeping it planted.

It's not really that you feel it working as such, it just stays planted.

I've just had one put on my AH Astra

lithium
27th June 2008, 02:19 PM
ok, i might bung one on the SRi in a few months when i save up :)

i've never had the tail wiggle in a corner though - you guys must corner pretty fast! the factory lowering plus my extra fat tyres might have something to do with that...

immenotu
27th June 2008, 03:49 PM
...i've never had the tail wiggle in a corner though - you guys must corner pretty fast! the factory lowering plus my extra fat tyres might have something to do with that...

Id have to agree with that, ive never had my SRi wiggle either, and ive done some pretty hard and fast cornering. The only thing ive had is a touch of understeer once or twice.

Having said that, if it makes the car handle even better then who'd complain :)