PDA

View Full Version : Resetting ECU

Anonymous
14th July 2004, 05:11 PM
How do I reset the ecu on my 2003 city 1.8l astra? Is it a matter of pulling out the ecu and plugging it back in? Does anyone know the correct procedure for doing this?

My fuel economies up the woo-ha :cry: + Looking at buying a k&n and exhaust.

OPL-20T
14th July 2004, 05:18 PM
i know this as i have gotten insie info from mu cuz that is a holden service advisor.

pull out ecu,
leave it out for 3 hrs
plug it back in
and hold car at 3000rpm for 2 mins for the ecu to re tune it self to the car and any mods you might have made.

Anonymous
14th July 2004, 05:21 PM
haha, thats awesome + quick reply. Thanks man!

Continuous hard driving has really affected my "g" banger. :P :P :P

corsaboy
14th July 2004, 05:22 PM
i know this as i have gotten insie info from mu cuz that is a holden service advisor.

pull out ecu,
leave it out for 3 hrs
plug it back in
and hold car at 3000rpm for 2 mins for the ecu to re tune it self to the car and any mods you might have made.Will that work on opel corsa city :?:

dug74
14th July 2004, 05:23 PM

pull out ecu,
leave it out for 3 hrs
plug it back in
and hold car at 3000rpm for 2 mins for the ecu to re tune it self to the car and any mods you might have made.Will that work on opel corsa city :?:

its works on all opels..

you can also disconnect the battery overnight...that also works..

Jass
14th July 2004, 05:27 PM
Just make sure you reset you electric windows once you do that.

Rhino
14th July 2004, 05:40 PM
Cold revving your car at 3k for 2mins doesn't sound like a good idea.

Wouldn't be happy if I saw someone do that to mine.

Why does your cus know this if he can just plug in a code reader and push the reset button?

Anonymous
14th July 2004, 05:45 PM
LOL, my power windows are dodgy aftermarket POS that holden overcharged me for. Looking for CD doorskins from wreckers for the OE Power window controls... would love power side mirror adjusters too!!! :cry:

I also love the fact they wired 3 accesories off one fuse. The fuse designated for my radio now also powers the aftermarket alarm and power windows. Thats great, cause now I can't store anything into my headunit!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

sunny
14th July 2004, 06:18 PM
i thought the ecu could adjust itself overtime on minor mods ie pod/panel filter,zorst etc

InsaneAsylum
14th July 2004, 08:09 PM
can't you just disconnect the battery for 30 minutes.... works on my opel

WindeX
14th July 2004, 09:29 PM
Yeah I have heard the battery thing... but that was a different type of car, but I assume it would be the same.

Turblue
15th July 2004, 10:57 AM
I've found that putting the middle finger of your right hand in your left ear and singing Boy George songs works.

Oh and you might want to investigate the concept of obd2 drive cycles.

:screwy: :bang: :screwy: :bang: :screwy: :bang:

Mr T
15th July 2004, 02:31 PM
I have heard that you just need to disconnect the battery for 3 mins, connect it back up and your right to go, but i haven't tried it yet. I might go try it now, see if it makes any difference.

Mr T
15th July 2004, 04:11 PM
I done it, left it for about 45 mins just to be sure. Just took it for a drive it is certainly smoother and idles using about 8l/h instead of 9-10l/h. Not sure if it is quicker, if it is, its not by much.

Turblue
15th July 2004, 04:46 PM
Sorry.... I made a mistake earlier...

... You actually need to put your left index finger up your...

Imagine everyone running outside to "reset" the ecu.... Such wonderful advice....

I am starting to get so fed up reading such absolute crap. Ticking noises are pinging... Resetting ecu will make the car go better... It scares me to read such rubbish at times.

If you want to reset the ecu due to an engine fault, then get someone with the capacity to do it PROPERLY !!! Has it dawned on anyone that there actually maybe a fault causing excessive fuel consumption.??

Stuff it.... Must be the ticking/pinging causing it.....

Mr T
15th July 2004, 05:06 PM
You are a very energetic forthcoming man Turblue. I am not sure if that actually works (the finger bit), there was no physical differences apart from the engine accelerating smoother and using less fuel at idle. I don't really know how EFI's work, just something I heard, I was a bit scepticle when I first heard it too.

I say stuff it too, it didn't do the car any harm.

So what are obd2 drive cycles?

Anonymous
15th July 2004, 05:11 PM
well known fact ecu adjusts itself to the way the cars driven...

You will find that cars " driven" deliver poor fuel econonmy as opposed to those that have been used as shopping carts.

I don't know about anyone else here knowing of that, but I can assure you my mates father with a track spec m3, who's spent 30 years racing cars certainly testifes to such a remedial and somewhat trivial exercise of resetting the ecu.

Turblue
15th July 2004, 05:13 PM
You will find that as the car sets itself up, the apparent gain is performance will resort to what it was.

I really suggest that you Google OBD2..... It is a real eye opener..!!!!

Anonymous
15th July 2004, 05:19 PM
exactly, the car will reset itself to the manner in which you drive.

I've done it to my commodore so I KNOW the results.

Anonymous
15th July 2004, 05:23 PM
BTW, this is reffering to fuel economy.

Exhaust and K&N are trivial in this pursuit. gains, even if i remapped the ecu, fiddled with fuel mixtures etc, would be utterly useless or minimal anyway. 8)

Mr T
15th July 2004, 05:23 PM
That makes sense, and thats what I thought, but after listening to the sh!t that gets posted, I thought that it may some some relevance.
I will look that up :mrgreen:

Rhino
15th July 2004, 05:59 PM
Fuel consuption is a bit like kW and dyno talk. All relative and hearsay.

...and idles using about 8l/h instead of 9-10l/h
I'd be concerned if it was using 8 litres per hour at idle. Should be about 1. Was that a typo or were you just a bit enthusiastic with the results?

Was your car hot or cold? Did you drive only on flat roads or up hills? Short trip or long? Conservative driving or other? Did you 'drive to fit' the desired result - Placebo effect?

Continued on another thread (http://opelaus.com/phpBB2-3/viewtopic.php?t=2141&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=).

Mr T
15th July 2004, 07:03 PM
Fuel consuption is a bit like kW and dyno talk. All relative and hearsay.

...and idles using about 8l/h instead of 9-10l/h
I'd be concerned if it was using 8 litres per hour at idle. Should be about 1. Was that a typo or were you just a bit enthusiastic with the results?

Was your car hot or cold? Did you drive only on flat roads or up hills? Short trip or long? Conservative driving or other? Did you 'drive to fit' the desired result - Placebo effect?

Continued on another thread (http://opelaus.com/phpBB2-3/viewtopic.php?t=2141&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=).

Sorry 0.8l/h instead of 0.9-1.0l/h, I too would be concerned :mrgreen:

I let it idle for about 5min while I reset the radio, drive from Penrith to Eastern Creek (about 15Km for out-of-towners) looking for a red light, got greens all the way though and every red on the way back :D
Not any hills worth talking about, but run a varied thottle in all the gears, just to get a feel. I'm doubtfull that I got any more power or the car is any quicker, but it does seem to deliver the power smoother.

Only time will tell if it does go back to normal, that seams to make sence though.

No placebo here, your only cheating yourself :!:

OH Turblue; I checked out that OBD2, thats interesting stuff, although I dont think the average joe in the average wagon would get much benifit from it.

dan_kind
15th July 2004, 07:07 PM
Sorry.... I made a mistake earlier...

... You actually need to put your left index finger up your...

Imagine everyone running outside to "reset" the ecu.... Such wonderful advice....

I am starting to get so fed up reading such absolute crap. Ticking noises are pinging... Resetting ecu will make the car go better... It scares me to read such rubbish at times........

*laugh* but resetting the ECU can fix things! Cause like, it has artifical intelligence and if its moody, you need to fix it with a dose of the ole 'power off'.

....but seriously, if ur having problems with the ECU, use electro-shock therapy...240volts on the 12v pin! it worked in the early 60s!!

has anyone heard of the 'placebo effect'?

....i know! next cruise day lets all swap ECU's from the relevant models cause i heard that holden made some go faster and some go slower!

-sorry-

Anonymous
15th July 2004, 10:44 PM
who said anything about pinging?

InsaneAsylum
15th July 2004, 10:54 PM
hey you guys should reset your CPU right now!! just reach over and press the reset button... your PC will be faster!!

GAZ914
16th July 2004, 08:58 AM
"Resetting" the ECU is really erasing the "learning" the ECU does to compensate for wear, etc. The ECU will just learn again and it will back to normal in a week or so.

This technique only applies to older (say <2001) vehicles. Late vehicles (X??ZE and Z??XE) retain the learning in non-volitile RAM and can only be "reset" by use of a proper diagnostic tool (Tech 2, etc).

Hope that clears up any confusion.

BTW: If you have replaced a faulty part (temp sensor, etc), then "resetting" the ECU will allow the ECU to more quickly adapt to the correct parameters, though it will learn the correct settings anyway.

Mr T
16th July 2004, 09:43 AM
That does clear up confusion gaz...

Is't it funny how a few people hear some theory or establish their own opinion. Then beleive it is true and then convince lesser technical people like myself into beleiving it.

I think that you are right Gaz "If it seems easy, you are proberly doing it wrong."

:bang: :bang: :bang:

OPL-20T
16th July 2004, 06:08 PM
the car does not have to be cold or hot for holden to rev it, but the reason they keep it at 3000rp fro 2 min is so that all the sensors can re adjust to any mods you might have made, eg exhaust air filter and so on. i dont kno wif re setting the ecu sill stop your car from pinging or stop any noises but the only perpourse for thi sis for the sensors to re adjust them selves simple as that...
and yes th eecu is a self learning ecu on th eastra and it does and can eventually adjust it self to the mods, but if u leave your car at holden and they ahd to re set your ecu thats how they will do it...
as for just re setting the ecu wht the holden OB2 something computer you cant all your doing is making the dash light go away and resetting it to the standard settings, you are actually finding any of the mods by just pressing the red button and the re set will make no diff.

and to the administrators, what ever happened to only posting related topic's? looks like one topic gets started and about 5 others enter the convo?????????????

Jass
16th July 2004, 09:36 PM
Its intresting you guys metion this topic. I placed my old BOV back in my car and have had it in there for 3-4 days. Here is the thing, the first time i put it in there, the Valve wasn't that loud, car didn't jerk everything seem to run smoother, as the days progressed it seems that the car has gotten more jerky and is actually venting much louder this may sound like nothing, but maybe its the ecy adapting over time to the changes in the air not been venting back into the intake and screwing up its maps. Also reseting the ECU would not fix pinging issues' as this are controlled by the ecu maps i would have thought.

ultim8DTM5
16th July 2004, 09:39 PM
"Resetting" the ECU is really erasing the "learning" the ECU does to compensate for wear, etc. The ECU will just learn again and it will back to normal in a week or so.

This technique only applies to older (say <2001) vehicles. Late vehicles (X??ZE and Z??XE) retain the learning in non-volitile RAM and can only be "reset" by use of a proper diagnostic tool (Tech 2, etc).

Hope that clears up any confusion.

BTW: If you have replaced a faulty part (temp sensor, etc), then "resetting" the ECU will allow the ECU to more quickly adapt to the correct parameters, though it will learn the correct settings anyway.

I guess it can all be analysed now a few guys on here have OBDII loggers

Mr T
17th July 2004, 10:49 AM
After 3 days my car has gone back to the way it was.

Computers know what they are doing they are smarter than us. :oops:

Jass
17th July 2004, 02:28 PM
I work with computers all day an they aint smarter!

Stupid things! If i could i would put my foot through everyone of them! :bang:

ultim8DTM5
17th July 2004, 06:05 PM
Cept your in Tech Support aren't you? I'd put my foot in the callers' arse before the monitor they're using :P

Jass
18th July 2004, 11:58 AM
hahahaha lucky i dont deal with stupid users all day. I mainly fight with stupid servers and figures when they are out of whack

ultim8DTM5
19th July 2004, 08:17 AM
Going OT then, do ethernet cards ever go kaput? Mine is 4-5yrs old and is having trouble detecting my modem

:D