PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Astra - best pics so far

cdxi
30th May 2008, 09:53 AM
It's out and about in the mountains and there's also a pic of the interior. Plain too that the C pillar is a plastic add-on and that the rear door window frame will probably be similar to the current shape.

See www.caradvice.com.au (http://www.caradvice.com.au)

Also, not that it's of any consequence, there's a new-look Epica (new grille, rear lights, f/r bumpers, 6spd auto) on show at GM Inside News. Not just the Tosca - complete with Holden badges!

btm
30th May 2008, 09:59 AM
still looks very viva-ish to me...

Wraith
30th May 2008, 10:58 AM
mmmm, still not clear enough to pass final judgement...

Whatever the outcome of the body styling is, I hope Opel have done something good with the engines and drive train of the performance models at least with the new Astra...

USC
30th May 2008, 11:28 AM
Dont like the the steering wheel...OMG..what are they thinking:eek: ...looks very ugly!! Like the dials though.

Exterior is hard to tell but at the moment, its looking like a Viva.

btm
30th May 2008, 11:40 AM
oh my. i actually didnt take note of the steering wheel initially...

wtf did they do to it!!

dash looks good though

tim_
3rd June 2008, 01:52 PM
the steering wheel looks like they've been sharing parts with hyundai.

i don't know now if i should wait for the new astra to come out to upgrade. could be quite a pretty car

USC
3rd June 2008, 02:01 PM
the steering wheel looks like they've been sharing parts with hyundai.

i don't know now if i should wait for the new astra to come out to upgrade. could be quite a pretty car

you should wait.

anyone know if they will still use the ancient 1.8L engine (base model) and ancient 2.0L turbo (sri-t) in the new Astra? I heard the sri-t would get direct injection but not sure about variable valve timing yet...also, is it going to be all alloy or still iron cast block? the recent astra 1.8L DOHC do have variable valve timing but still less powerful than honda`s 1.8L vtec SOHC.

tim_
3rd June 2008, 02:43 PM
i think i will wait, and buy the top spec when it comes out, as opposed to needing a car asap and getting stuck with a cd like i did this time

tim_
3rd June 2008, 02:45 PM
anyone know if they will still use the ancient 1.8L engine (base model) and ancient 2.0L turbo (sri-t) in the new Astra? I heard the sri-t would get direct injection but not sure about variable valve timing yet...also, is it going to be all alloy or still iron cast block? the recent astra 1.8L DOHC do have variable valve timing but still less powerful than honda`s 1.8L vtec SOHC.

so thats how it gets the extra 11kw! i was about to post a thread asking how i could tap into that extra power in mine, whether or not it's a chip thing or whatever, but you answered my (very simple, very stupid) question.

USC
3rd June 2008, 03:14 PM
so thats how it gets the extra 11kw! i was about to post a thread asking how i could tap into that extra power in mine, whether or not it's a chip thing or whatever, but you answered my (very simple, very stupid) question.
:p ..yep...variable valve timing does make a difference :D its like vtec.

but the current sri-t does not have variable valve timing!! hopefully, the new astra sri-t will get vvt and direct injection!!....and available in 5 door:) ...

rjastra
3rd June 2008, 06:13 PM
There are rumours it could use the new 1.4L Turbo engine that has power range of 88-110kW. 8% more fuel efficient than the current 1.8L.

Perhaps the Astra VXR could use the engine out of this...
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/sport_compacts/2008_chevrolet_cobalt_ss_short_take_road_test

If you scan to the bottom the Cobalt SS apparently laps the 'Ring in the same time as a E46 M3

rjastra
3rd June 2008, 06:16 PM
:p ..yep...variable valve timing does make a difference :D its like vtec.

Not like proper vtec at all actually. No variance in valve lift in the Opel system (or most other variable valve timing systems)

It's the change in valve lift that gives the Integra Type R, Civic Type R that huge lift in performance after about 6000rpm.

tim_
3rd June 2008, 06:55 PM
all i can say is that if i do hold out for this, they'd better have some ****ing good options. i'm sick of all the options the uk get and we don't even get the option of xenon headlights.

how long after international release of the h did we get it? and then how long after that was the sri-t?

USC
3rd June 2008, 07:35 PM
Not like proper vtec at all actually. No variance in valve lift in the Opel system (or most other variable valve timing systems)

It's the change in valve lift that gives the Integra Type R, Civic Type R that huge lift in performance after about 6000rpm.

thats true... I knew that already. the intake valve vtec from honda is better than the one from opel anyway. the celica also had proper vtec.

USC
3rd June 2008, 07:43 PM
all i can say is that if i do hold out for this, they'd better have some ****ing good options. i'm sick of all the options the uk get and we don't even get the option of xenon headlights.

how long after international release of the h did we get it? and then how long after that was the sri-t?

well, the H was released in 2004 and we got it the same year. Holden kept selling the older TS until 2005.
The H Sri-T was first released in 2006 in OZ. I believe it was released in 2005 overseas (with different bodykit)but we got a much nicer sri-t with the VXR look bodykit.

GreyRex
4th June 2008, 09:40 PM
Another interior shot...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/222861/vauxhall_astra_vxr.html

I wouldnt pay too much notice to the exterior photoshop. We know they've just chopped a Corsa

sooty
4th June 2008, 09:54 PM
That interior is horrific..what were they thinking with all those buttons on the centre console...:confused:
And the dials...look like out of a mini....

glider
4th June 2008, 09:56 PM
what a wanker of a gear knob too....

poita
4th June 2008, 09:59 PM
steering wheel = poo
i dont mind the instrument cluster.
and the exterior shots lol
an astra mounts a corsa and look wat happens!

USC
4th June 2008, 10:08 PM
an astra mounts a corsa and look wat happens!

:D :D :p ...

Hope it was Mr Corsa`s corsa so the engine could at least be a great one..;)

hmm, the new VXR will have a 1.8L turbo charged engine?? does that mean less torque?

they are also talking about a new 2.0L turbo diesel VXR!! that`d be nice!

also, no all wheel drive here..only insignia gets AWD. this new vxr sounds a bit like a joke.

whats with the interior..looks really bad!! astra interiors have never been that great but this one looks hedious! ugly steering wheel, gear knob, centre console looks retarded, air vents arent the best looking...looks like a cheap daewoo inside.

GreyRex
4th June 2008, 10:20 PM
I might hazard a guess and say that's a base model and that higher spec models are likely to look like this...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/223035/vauxhall_insignia.html

sooty
4th June 2008, 10:32 PM
I might hazard a guess and say that's a base model and that higher spec models are likely to look like this...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/223035/vauxhall_insignia.html

that does look pretty similar i guess...and a lot better...but there's still an awful lot of buttons....:confused:

USC
4th June 2008, 10:45 PM
Have you noticed that the handbrake isnt there anymore. could have been replaced with an electronic one??hmm..no hand brake turns anymore...haha

GreyRex
4th June 2008, 11:47 PM
Here's a feature on the Insignia that the Astra hopefully gets...

To improve cabin ambience, Vauxhall's traditional yellow facia lighting has been replaced by warm red and white tones. The lower level lighting will glow red, while the instrument cluster will be white - until 'sport' mode is activated, that is, in which case the dials glow red too!

USC
5th June 2008, 12:41 AM
Here's a feature on the Insignia that the Astra hopefully gets...

To improve cabin ambience, Vauxhall's traditional yellow facia lighting has been replaced by warm red and white tones. The lower level lighting will glow red, while the instrument cluster will be white - until 'sport' mode is activated, that is, in which case the dials glow red too!

that sounds a lot nicer than the current "street lights" they have going inside the AH...lol

tim_
5th June 2008, 08:58 AM
i'll be buying the spec'd up model if that's the interior!!! looks a heap better than the rental in the other pics

astrauturbo
11th June 2008, 08:37 PM
Here you's go its a CGI version gives a pritty good idea of how it will look
http://www.caradvice.com.au/11975/2009-holden-astra-cgi/ personally i
think it looks kinda gay, But thats my opinion, guess it might be the colour giving it that wibe.

poita
11th June 2008, 08:52 PM
ashley, crispin, wat do you guys think?

USC
12th June 2008, 01:56 AM
I think GM Daewoo had a lot of say in its shape..lol