PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Clarkson Sack?

Dowie
29th May 2008, 01:34 PM
What do you think?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=571115

Safety groups are calling for the sacking of Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson after the revhead confessed to driving at 300km/h.
Clarkson, 48, was asked at the Hay Festival in Wales earlier this week about the fastest speed he had ever driven.
"On the public roads ... 186(mp/h)," the Daily Mail reported Clarkson as replying.
British road safety group Brake has called on the BBC to axe Clarkson, whose claim means that he was travelling about 190km/h over the speed limit.
"Jeremy Clarkson is extremely offensive and irresponsible," Brake chief executive Mary Williams said.
"His comments are very upsetting to loved ones who have suffered a bereavement through a road crash because of a speeding driver."
Clarkson claims he recorded his top speed on the road linking central London and Docklands in the world's fastest legal car, the Bugatti Veyron, which is capable of a reaching 407km/h.
The presenter has come under fire in the past for glamorising speed and contributing to bad driver attitudes.
Clarkson was involved in another scandal earlier this year after he was allegedly photographed talking on his mobile phone while driving his Mercedes.

btm
29th May 2008, 01:40 PM
i think i want to drive a veyron and beat his top speed :p

glider
29th May 2008, 01:40 PM
if Clarkson got sacked top gear would lose a bucket load of viewers...

it wont happen.

Ice
29th May 2008, 01:45 PM
hmm its a bit irresponsible of him, but it might have been 4am on a monday night when there is absolutely no one around and that car can get to 300 so quickly and back down again it might have been brief.

both sides have good arguements so im not taking either side.

I wont be watching topgear if he isnt hosting it thats for sure !

USC
29th May 2008, 01:49 PM
Australia says NO to sacking Jeremy Clarkson!

EL BURITO
29th May 2008, 01:50 PM
he won't get sacked

prob be some driver awareness crap on top gear thou after this

Greg K
29th May 2008, 01:52 PM
i dont think Clarkson is that dumb to admit driving at that speed.. especially to the media..

he doesnt say whether it was under a controlled environment or not either.. so its really up to personal interptretation..

oneightoo
29th May 2008, 02:32 PM
agree with Greg.. i'd put 10 bucks on Clarkson giving the media a bit of a rev up.. no doubt if he did drive that fast in England, it would have been on a private runway, perhaps even the one at their studio..

Clarkson has in just about every episode givin some stick to the men in charge of speed camera's or anything to do with speeding.. so it would not suprise if this was just a little joke he was having to get them even more upset..

and i'd hardly call talking on your mobile in your car a "scandal" lol..

bornwild
29th May 2008, 02:35 PM
he does say "on public roads"...

and no, he's an idiot but I like him....no sacking!

oneightoo
29th May 2008, 02:40 PM
he does say "on public roads"...

and no, he's an idiot but I like him....no sacking!

i just peed on a public road......

doesnt mean i did.... but the comment alone would disgust some people.....

btm
29th May 2008, 02:45 PM
that's disgusting matt, you disgust me :p

bornwild
29th May 2008, 02:46 PM
meh I don't mind lol :p

and what if he was doing 300kph?? Maybe it was in Germany on the Autobahn. ;)

Wraith
29th May 2008, 02:48 PM
What freaked me out about the above was "Clarkson 48"

TBH I thought he was at least 58 ??? that's what he looks like to me...

bornwild
29th May 2008, 02:50 PM
Far out...yeah he's at least 58.....he's gotta be!

Ice
29th May 2008, 02:54 PM
meh I don't mind lol :p

and what if he was doing 300kph?? Maybe it was in Germany on the Autobahn. ;)

Did you even read the post ? hah !

Clarkson claims he recorded his top speed on the road linking central London and Docklands

bornwild
29th May 2008, 02:58 PM
Did you even read the post ? hah !

Clarkson claims he recorded his top speed on the road linking central London and Docklands

Damn!:p

Well, in that case...Jeremy, you've been a naughty boy!!

Moving on...

btm
29th May 2008, 04:43 PM
some of the feedback from news.com.au

Latest Comment:
Mike Frazer of Sydney writes:

Jeremy Clarkson is known to exaggerate a bit and make outrageous statements, and that's why he's so popular.....you can't sack someone for saying they drove a car too fast, you need proof that it actually happened.

Posted at 1:40pm today

Justice of the peace writes:

Without Jeremy there'd be no Top Gear. Who cares, nobody got and he's being honest about it. Wish I had his job!

Posted at 1:34pm today

Roz of Perth writes:

Everyone is responsible for their own actions. Let Clarkson keep doing what he does best. Playing with cars and making great television. Pfft on English roads with their congestion, I think alcohol and boredom would contribute to more crashes than speed.

Posted at 1:31pm today

jay of Prth writes:

Only 300kmh?? The Veyron he was driving can hit 400kmh + !!!!

Posted at 1:26pm today

Matt of Brisbane writes:

"The speed limit is annoying because it holds up people who have got a job to do," Pretty childish thing to say, but it's Top Gear..you can't take anything they say too seriously. Shouldn't be a sackable comment.

Posted at 1:10pm today

Wraith
29th May 2008, 04:58 PM
I wanna know what his true age is.........:D

EL BURITO
29th May 2008, 05:10 PM
I wanna know what his true age is.........:D

Date of Birth

11 April (http://www.imdb.com/OnThisDay?day=11&month=April) 1960 (http://www.imdb.com/BornInYear?1960), Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England, UK (http://www.imdb.com/BornWhere?Doncaster,%20South%20Yorkshire,%20Englan d,%20UK)

Birth Name

Jeremy Charles Robert Clarkson

Nickname

Jezza

Height

6' 5" (1.96 m)

Spouse

Frances Catherine Cain (1993 (http://www.imdb.com/MarriedInYear?1993) - present) 3 children
Trivia

Motoring enthusiast and television presenter.
He is a fan of the rock band Curved Air.
Notorious for his reactionary, outspoken opinions.
Was hit in the face with a pie by a protester whilst collecting his honorary degree for services to engineering from Oxford Brookes University
Sold his Ferrari 355 Spyder to purchase a Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG (which he loves). Also, purchased one of only twenty eight 2005 Ford GTs imported to England (which he has had an innumerable amount of problems with, but still loves).
Sold his Mercedes SL55 AMG and has subsequently purchased an SLK55 AMG.
Currently lives in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, England, UK.
Three children- Emily, Finlo and Katya
Has placed an order for a Lamborghini Gallardo Roadster.
Owns a house in Castletown, Isle Of Man.

Personal Quotes

"Smokers pay £19,000 a minute to the Exchequer, and that's enough to pay for the whole police force. Or to put it another way, for every £1 we cost the National Health Service, we give it £3.60. Please don't encourage the state to dictate how I live my life."
"Only last week I was at my children's sports day and as I lay in the long grass by the river drinking pink champagne and chatting with other media parents, I remember thinking, 'God, I love being middle class'." (Sunday Times 24 July 2005)
"Good Shot!" (In reaction to being hit in the face by a pie by a protester at his Honorary Degree ceremony)
The only person who ever looked good in the back of a four-seater convertible is Adolf Hitler.
"We all know that small cars are good for us. But so is cod liver oil. And jogging. I want to drive around in a Terminator, not the heroine in an EM Forster novel."
"Much more of a hoot to drive than you might imagine. Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed. I do, and it helps."
"Sure it's quiet, for a diesel. But that's like being well-behaved... for a murderer."

so that would be 48

UnKnOwN
29th May 2008, 05:18 PM
hes abit of a cock sometimes but hes essential to the trio presenter

Ice
29th May 2008, 05:37 PM
hes abit of a cock sometimes but hes essential to the trio presenter

so is Ramsey but it makes good television !!!!!

UnKnOwN
29th May 2008, 08:16 PM
haha
so true....

imay
30th May 2008, 10:14 AM
Let's face it: Jeremy Clarkson is an obnoxious knob who hates Vauxhall and dislikes anything else with a top speed under 300 kmh . . . but it's this personality and his classic one-liners and moodiness that we all love about him . . . sort of like Sam Newman (now there's a knob!). People love to hate him.
The man did wrong (maybe) get over it guys and move on to more important decisions that need to be made.

Wraith
30th May 2008, 10:47 AM
so that would be 48

LOL he still looks at least 58 despite the facts, I reckon he's fudged his birth date :D

Seriously without knowing I would've guessed his age to be around 56-61 if I didn't know better, he looks terrible for 48 !

Lucky he's 6' 5" otherwise he'd be a barrel with that porking gutt of his :D

oneightoo
30th May 2008, 11:51 AM
i read this thread title originally as "Jeremy Clarkson's Sack"..

btm
30th May 2008, 11:53 AM
i read this thread title originally as "Jeremy Clarkson's Sack"..

and you still clicked in to have a look! :D

oneightoo
30th May 2008, 11:54 AM
i wanted to know what the fuss was about :p

btm
30th May 2008, 11:57 AM
suuuuure you did :p

gman
30th May 2008, 12:21 PM
British road safety group Brake has called on the BBC to axe Clarkson, whose claim means that he was travelling about 190km/h over the speed limit.
"Jeremy Clarkson is extremely offensive and irresponsible," Brake chief executive Mary Williams said.

Further proof that the world has been taken over by vocal minorities & self interest groups determined to wrap the world in cotton wool so no one will ever have to take responsibility for their own actions...

BRAKE...how about BARFF at the cotton wool society they are determined to foist upon everyone!!!

Comments like this from what amount to nothing more than self interested lobby groups absolutely infuriate me!!!!! How can they continue to release spurious comments and bogus figures that are tantamount to nothing more than disinformation for their own cause..

Speeding in Aust and the UK is demonised however in reality, while certainly a contributing factor to some accidents, drugs, alcohol, fatigue, inadequate driver training & poor car maintenance has been PROVEN to contribute to a larger percentage of all motor vehicle accidents. Speed (not speeding) is usually a secondary factor to accidents. There are actually VERY FEW accidents that are caused by speed alone...

Having been run down by an over tired taxi driver (it was midday and he was on the back end of an 18hr shift apparently or so he told the court) at a pedestrian crossing and having a "coked" up truck driver (petrol tanker mind) cross lanes and run over my car on the F3 at 120KPH because he "thought" he saw something on the road gives me a vested interest and IMHO speed isn't the area authorities should be targeting..

Why do they when other factors are just or more dangerous?? Drug and fatigue don't earn governments the "easy" money speeding infringements do and speeding is a lot easier to prosecute (a direct quote from the Police prosecutors and the RTA) No civil liberties to worry about, you don't need to stop an alleged perpetrator and technology makes them an "easy win"...Look at the yearly revenue collected in NSW alone for speeding...You think they are ever going to give that up!!

They push RBT but how many times do you actually ever get tested?? Why?? It costs alot of money to set up an RBT..About $50K in overtime and resources according to the NSW police services own numbers..Cost vs reward, speeding wins hands down...minimal cost input, maximum revenue..

I know that compared to the km's I drive, not very many....target speeding where it is problem, schools etc, not someone doing 114kph at 4am on the highway in a 110kph zone.....

Morning vent completed...returning to usual programming....

btm
30th May 2008, 12:25 PM
:clap: @ gman

well said, agree 100%

Dowie
30th May 2008, 12:32 PM
+1
Wow.
That was a piece of work gman.
Brilliantly said :clap:
I couldnt agree with you more.

imay
30th May 2008, 02:19 PM
Can't argue with any of that gman . . . agree 100%

But, in the authorities defence . . . they have to be seen to be doing SOMETHING to control the lunatics on our roads and protect themselves, us and everybody else they could kill or maim. As I've said in other posts I firmly believe they are targeting the wrong areas. Schools, road works, shopping precincts, etc., is where they should be concentrating their efforts, but once we all know that's where they are, we'll just speed (drive recklessly) somewhere else. True?
They need to bring back a heavy visible presence on the roads in the form of the good old TRAFFIC COPS and actually catch the idiots out there driving insanely in everyday traffic. e.g.: heavy rain in Adelaide early this week and I could not believe the behavior of some of the lunatics out there in the soaking rain. Sure we all wanted to get home as quickly as possible where it was warm and dry, but I bet some didn't make it!
The last time I got pinged by radar for "speeding" (1990!) I was passing a driver that was obviously intoxicated with something: all over the road and braking incessantly. Took it to the courts to plead my case, and was sternly advised I could have slowed down and stayed behind him. Didn't want to be the first on the scene at the obvious carnage this guy could have caused, your honor. No excuse!
Had there been police at the scene, it would have been him that got pinged, not me. Unfair, I know, but I WAS speeding. Next time I'll pull over and listen to the radio for a couple of minutes and let him get off MY road.
Not the answer to this problem, I know, and I don't pretend to have it other than an increase in physical Police presence on the roads . . . and we all know that isn't going to happen because gman has hit the nail on the head. Costs too much in man hours, and the cameras are already paid for!

gman
30th May 2008, 02:51 PM
Agree they should be seen to be seen to be doing something, but they should also actually do something and achieve a useful purpose.

Why should this mean that they unfairly target, disinform the population and demonise certain aspects of road safety to the detriment of those that really require attention.

This only raises the ire of the average motorist put road safety in a combative situation with govt and police on one side and 99% of disgusted and disgruntled road users on the other.

Governments are only concerned about three things with road safety:

1: being re-elected so to be seen to do something;

2: costs vs reward to the state coffers allowing them to spend more money at election time on useless schemes to satisfy the vocal minorities to be re-elected; and

3: the "appearance of proprietary" to quell the noise of these ever increasing vocal lobbyist groups that have their own agendas to to satisfy allowing re-election.

Why not actually do something not just "appear" to be doing something by initiating useful programs such as school based driver training, increased RBT alcohol and road tests, professional driver monitoring etc.

The simple answer is that:

1: driver training in schools raises issues of insurance and liabilities for those doing the training (ie: cost and political will);

2: minority civil liberties groups yell that roadside testing is an invasion of civil liberties by requiring a saliva swab (if you aren;t on drugs, what you have to hide); and

3: The Transport Workers Union (truck, bus and taxi drivers) is one of the most powerful in Australia. You really think the govt wants to pi*s them off at election time (which should read all the time)??

So, IMHO, the over riding point behind all these things is MONEY!!! How are they going to pay the politician's exorbitant superannuation and salary costs if they spend money on extraneous schemes like these...

Speeding is an easy money spinner for governments with the government coffers ringing up huge amount through little more than scare tactics, disinformation and static services that have a "cost to benefit" 25:1.

You do the maths...I have and it's not easy to see why this one keeps going the way it does....