PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear Australia

Dowie
28th May 2008, 08:01 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned before..

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=570907

SBS announces Top Gear presenters

19:01 AEST Wed May 28 2008
59 minutes ago

By Katherine Field
FormatCaptionStartDate('article_update', false);VIEWS: 0
| FLOCKS: 0
| http://news.ninemsn.com.au/img/global/icn-comments.gif0 comments so far

Motorsport commentator Charlie Cox, cartoonist Warren Brown and driving instructor Steve Pizzati have won the highly sought-after job to host Australian Top Gear.
After months of interviews, the three were revealed Wednesday night as the hosts of the Australian version of the hit BBC TV program at a function in Sydney.
Cox, Brown and Pizzati beat more than 4,000 others for the chance to front the program, which will premiere on SBS after the Olympics this year.
The first version outside the UK, the show features three enthusiasts test driving and brutally appraising the world's most popular cars and performing stunts.
SBS director of content Matt Campbell said it was a difficult task to pick the final three but was confident they had found a winning combination.
"We have chosen three totally different and entertaining personalities who have a natural chemistry that works," Campbell said.
All the hosts have a deep passion for motoring.
Currently a motorsport commentator for the BBC, Cox, 47, is known for his classic one-liners.
He worked in radio in Sydney in the 1980s before moving to the UK where he won several motor racing titles in the 1990s and was involved in a near life-ending crash in 1995.
Brown, in his mid-40s, is best known for his work as a cartoonist and motoring columnist for The Daily Telegraph, but also has a passion for historic cars.
The third host, Steve Pizzati, is the youngest of the bunch, in his mid 30s.
He is an advanced driving instructor, freelance motoring journalist and a race driver for Porsche Australia.
Sydney Morning Herald motoring editor Josh Dowling will act as the motor industry consultant.
The Australian Top Gear will have a distinctly "Australian feel" while still being based on the format made popular in the UK where it is led by Jeremy Clarkson.
Top Gear managing director Adam Waddell praised Aussie presenters.
"A show like Top Gear doesn't resonate with a huge global audience just because people love cars," he said. "The world's most entertaining car show's popularity owes much to the relationship between its three presenters.
"In Charlie, Warren and Steve, Top Gear Australia now has its own team - three guys who possess the spirit of Top Gear whilst having their own distinct personalities."
SBS was bombarded with entries for the job, picking from 4,000 DVD entrants followed by months of interviews and screen tests.
Among those hoping to score the job are believed to be former beauty queen and motorbike enthusiast Laura Csortan and former Escape With ET reporter Michelle Walsh.

daaaaavek
28th May 2008, 08:10 PM
Well I wish the boys the best of luck .. they have a tough job ahead of them but at least they have the advantage of starting from a relatively clean slate. IE, they aren't currently on TV.

SIMid
28th May 2008, 08:27 PM
The general public had no chance in getting a spot. I had a feeling that you need some real credentials to get picked.

Not like "Yogi in his mid 20s was picked due to 4 years of unemployment, plays GT4 regularly, owns an immaculate 83 Camira and builds plastic model kits of Supercars."

95' GSI
28th May 2008, 08:32 PM
The general public had no chance in getting a spot. I had a feeling that you need some real credentials to get picked.

Not like "Yogi in his mid 20s was picked due to 4 years of unemployment, plays GT4 regularly, owns an immaculate 83 Camira and builds plastic model kits of Supercars."

baha Yogi :p
Thats true though

SIMid
28th May 2008, 08:45 PM
Oh yeah and my misses said it was misleading for those who applied thinking they had a chance.

bornwild
28th May 2008, 08:59 PM
Well...I reckon they should have picked up a nut off some car forum, tought him how to drive properly and Voila!

Dee
28th May 2008, 09:00 PM
Well...I reckon they should have picked up a nut off some car forum, tought him how to drive properly and Voila!

or HER

bornwild
28th May 2008, 09:06 PM
or HER

no Dee, women can't drive :p

poita
28th May 2008, 09:11 PM
the ONLY female on any car show should be Sabine Schmitz

bornwild
28th May 2008, 09:15 PM
Hell yeah...she can Drive! :) Crazy chick though

stevedee3
28th May 2008, 10:28 PM
...Steve Pizzati, is... ...a race driver for Porsche Australia.I thought one of the criteria was:
Not affiliated to any car company or motoring company through sponsorship, commercial arrangements or employment.Or did they have to relax the rules a bit...?

dieselhead
28th May 2008, 10:34 PM
So, the obvious question is: when?

Huhness
28th May 2008, 10:35 PM
its going to be shit.. what can thay do that top gear UK haven't done?? Sorry but this will be another flash in the pan..

We already have top gear australia.. its called BLOKES WORLD! :D

Huhness
28th May 2008, 10:38 PM
So, the obvious question is: when?

which will premiere on SBS after the Olympics this year.

Vectracious
29th May 2008, 06:00 AM
the ONLY female on any car show should be Sabine Schmitz

+1

And the presenters all sound similar to their UK counterparts - so much for not copying the UK show...

ASTRAY
29th May 2008, 06:25 AM
+1

And the presenters all sound similar to their UK counterparts - so much for not copying the UK show...

well if we all get behind it and back it by watching it, and reminding other forum users when it is on so they dont miss it, it might eventually over time get good ratings and become bigger and better than the pommy show. ive only seen a couple of the pommy shows but the only reason i dont watch it more often is because i forget when its on lol.

Wraith
29th May 2008, 08:36 AM

Totally agree - a common person/car buff from the general population would never have got the gig for this show - that much is bloody obvious, to me anyways...

IMO it was just all a publicity stunt to 'spread the word' on the show itself and make the public more aware of it, in the hope that when it goes to air, more people will watch it !!!

btm
29th May 2008, 09:55 AM
all the best to them, but i am still sceptical on wether it will be good or not yet...

EL BURITO
29th May 2008, 04:18 PM
race driver for Porsche Australia

dose that not conflict with alegence to brand

SIMid
29th May 2008, 07:47 PM
dose that not conflict with alegence to brand

Unless there's an abundance of Porsches. And he'll be wearing a Porsche Cap with matching bomber jacket and a mug of hot coffee with a Porsche logo on it as he talks about ..... a Porsche.

poita
29th May 2008, 08:25 PM
Unless there's an abundance of Porsches. And he'll be wearing a Porsche Cap with matching bomber jacket and a mug of hot coffee with a Porsche logo on it as he talks about ..... a Porsche.

they can call him Hamster then ;)

DEE-80Y
29th May 2008, 08:56 PM
I'm surprised our old friend Roger Cordia didn't make the team.....

Dee
29th May 2008, 09:04 PM
I'm surprised our old friend Roger Cordia didn't make the team.....

AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahaa!

He knows all - I'm surprised too

dieselhead
29th May 2008, 10:25 PM
Dontcha know that Cordia just signed for the Oz version of Fifth Gear?! :D

Shaun
30th May 2008, 09:52 AM
no Dee, women can't drive :p

Are you a complete dickhead...... I can name a few women who could drive a shit load better then me or you.. One being girl from 5th Gear. Ever heard of Leanne Tander? Garth Tander's wife who took out last year's F3 Class in Australia.

immenotu
30th May 2008, 10:05 AM
...Ever heard of Melinda Tander? Garth Tander's wife who took out last year's F3 Class in Australia.

You mean Leanne Tander :p :)

Shaun
30th May 2008, 09:44 PM
You mean Leanne Tander :p :)

I have a good reason for that being incorrect. Im in a tropical climate and alittle tired.. hahaha

poita
30th May 2008, 09:48 PM
im sad to say this will be a flop
they wil try too hard to be like UK top gear
and completly fuk it up

i will be gladly proven wrong

Dee
30th May 2008, 09:58 PM
Are you a complete dickhead...... I can name a few women who could drive a shit load better then me or you.. One being girl from 5th Gear. Ever heard of Leanne Tander? Garth Tander's wife who took out last year's F3 Class in Australia.

Bornwild is not a dickhead, he was poking fun at me. All in gest.

Tfer
30th May 2008, 10:03 PM
im sad to say this will be a flop
they wil try too hard to be like UK top gear
and completly fuk it up

i will be gladly proven wrong

+1 :rolleyes:

bornwild
30th May 2008, 10:39 PM

hmmm...:confused:

Red AH SRI T
30th May 2008, 10:56 PM
Poop with an Aussie Badge

oneightoo
2nd June 2008, 12:12 PM
you guys are all so negative..

havent even seen anything about it and you're already poo pooing it..

but i suppose we're all experts here..

how about waiting to see the first episode, and watch it without making comparisons to the uk version..

you never know it might just be alright..

i know warren will add some nice sharp witty humour to the show, so justw ait and see..

immenotu
2nd June 2008, 01:23 PM

how about waiting to see the first episode, and watch it without making comparisons to the uk version..

i know warren will add some nice sharp witty humour to the show, so justw ait and see..

+1

Im looking forward to watching it!

SSS_Hoon
2nd June 2008, 01:25 PM
+1

Im looking forward to watching it!

i too am looking foward to watching it.

SSS_Hoon

Corsa_Rob
2nd June 2008, 02:06 PM
yeah totally agree, wait till we watch the first few episodes. I reckon it will be great to see a few commodores and falcons going head to head and such, which doesn't happen on Pommie Top Gear, only get HSVs.

bornwild
2nd June 2008, 02:20 PM
Yeap I can't wait to watch it too :)

As long as they actually test some high-end vehicles and not just stick to the low end of the market like current AUS car shows it will be awesome. For example, in the first episode of this new season if I don't see a car being thrashed around that's worth more than $100,000 I'll give up on watching it. *hint*Skyline GTR*end hint*

GreyRex
2nd June 2008, 02:32 PM
I'm looking forward to it as well

sooty
2nd June 2008, 02:33 PM
I think we're all looking forward to it, we just realise how hard it will be for them to achieve the standard of the UK top gear.

We all really really want it to be just as good, but doubt it...

GreyRex
2nd June 2008, 02:42 PM
I think we're all looking forward to it, we just realise how hard it will be for them to achieve the standard of the UK top gear.

Time... give it time:) :) :)

When i look back at old Top Gear i'm like hmmm...

The UK one has had years to be fine-tuned

The Aussie one may need to be the same... we shall see!!

immenotu
2nd June 2008, 02:42 PM

You also have to look at how long it's taken the UK show to get to where it is now. When SBS were showing the really early episodes recently it wasn't really that good at all. Sure it was better than most car shows in Aus to date, but it had nothing on the newer TopGear UK seasons.

If TopeGear Aus gets off to a decent start and has the support of all us car nuts hopefully it will become an awesome show. :)

EDIT: Mizled beat me to it lol :D

sooty
2nd June 2008, 02:44 PM
You also have to look at how long it's taken the UK show to get to where it is now. When SBS were showing the really early episodes recently it wasn't really that good at all. Sure it was better than most car shows in Aus to date, but it had nothing on the newer TopGear UK seasons.

If TopeGear Aus gets off to a decent start and has the support of all us car nuts hopefully it will become an awesome show. :)

EDIT: Mizled beat me to it lol :D

He did lol, but i couldn't agree more with both of you..
If it turns out to be as good as i hope it will, i'd miss my own funeral just to watch it lol...

Shaun
29th June 2008, 09:47 PM
I heard the 1st Australian Top Gear Magazine has been released. Im off to the newsagent this week to find it. Yes thats right they are doing a Top Gear Australia Magazine too...

Shaun
29th June 2008, 09:53 PM

Well Said ......
I agree ... Seems like there are alot of "experts" here on this forum. Those who claim they can do better then SBS and the the team heading up Top Gear Australia.

Why compare it to the UK Top Gear. it was said from the outset that it would have an Australian Flare to the program. SBS have allicated a rather large budget to the Top Gear Production. Once of there largest investments to a local produced program on the network. I cant see it being a flop. I have a feeling that if the progam is a runaway sucess that one of the larger networked will by the rights to it from SBS.

EL BURITO
29th June 2008, 10:06 PM
Well Said ......
I agree ... Seems like there are alot of "experts" here on this forum. Those who claim they can do better then SBS and the the team heading up Top Gear Australia.

Why compare it to the UK Top Gear. it was said from the outset that it would have an Australian Flare to the program. SBS have allicated a rather large budget to the Top Gear Production. Once of there largest investments to a local produced program on the network. I cant see it being a flop. I have a feeling that if the progam is a runaway sucess that one of the larger networked will by the rights to it from SBS.
I think it might be better to be left with ABC or SBS

don't have the problems of pissing off sponsors, how hard is Holdens skin ?

stevedee3
29th June 2008, 10:49 PM
Does anyone know when the show will start?

Shaun
30th June 2008, 09:56 PM
I picked up the Magazine tonight. Its some local storys but some are borrowed from the BBC Top Gear Publication. (which you would expect to start with). But its pretty thick for $7.95

95' GSI
30th June 2008, 09:59 PM
I picked up the Magazine tonight. Its some local storys but some are borrowed from the BBC Top Gear Publication. (which you would expect to start with). But its pretty thick for $7.95

lol I was reading it at work, kept getting caught though so I had to stop :(

tuzinski
30th June 2008, 10:17 PM
not that great from what i had a look at!
much of it is taken from the uk top gear mag
and some off caradvice.com.au from their trip to uae

Shaun
30th June 2008, 10:31 PM
not that great from what i had a look at!
much of it is taken from the uk top gear mag
and some off caradvice.com.au from their trip to uae

What do you expect for a Magazine thats just started and being based on a TV show thats currently in filming.

Then again i guess another forum expert like your self could do a better job then a Editor of a Magazine who has spend years at uni and also working in the reporting game for a while...

poita
30th June 2008, 10:35 PM
cant wait for this to start, so i can be proven wrong in sayin that its gonna be a wanna UK show.....

Corsa_Rob
30th June 2008, 11:43 PM
I think its going to air after the Olympics, can't remember where i heard/read that.

Vectracious
1st July 2008, 12:26 AM

Shaun, is the magazine thick with articles or does it have a huge section on all cars available with models/prices/etc etc at the back - only reason I ask is because the UK mag is also pretty thick, but the "showroom" section is about half the mag.

Shaun
1st July 2008, 08:22 PM
Shaun, is the magazine thick with articles or does it have a huge section on all cars available with models/prices/etc etc at the back - only reason I ask is because the UK mag is also pretty thick, but the "showroom" section is about half the mag.

I would say the lay out is much like the BBC UK Top Gear Magazine. Its about 3/4 magazine and 1/4 pricing like the uk magazine has. (like motor has)_

Wraith
2nd July 2008, 01:27 PM
Top Gear Australia TV add for the magazine - check it out !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdJd598Dtg

P.S. I didn't check the rest of the thread, if it's already posted - disregard :)

dieselhead
2nd July 2008, 09:07 PM
Love the mag! It's bye bye Motor and Wheels for me :)

Wraith
3rd July 2008, 09:04 AM
Love the mag! It's bye bye Motor and Wheels for me :)

I agree - read through it earlier this week, great format and fantastic articles with lots of info and great pics...I love it !

But having said that, I'll still scan the pages of Motor, Wheels and others - sometimes they have things the other guy dosn't :)

dieselhead
22nd August 2008, 07:52 AM
So, anyone got their TG t-shirt yet?

EL BURITO
22nd August 2008, 11:32 AM
?????

Wraith
22nd August 2008, 11:50 AM

LOL it's a great mag, not bad show - hopefully Aust. version is better - but not that good to go around giving em free advertising wearing a t-shirt LOL :)

imay
22nd August 2008, 01:33 PM
Like the magazine a lot . . . so much so, I subscribed half way through reading the first issue. Lightweight articles, written with a touch of humor (not unlike the TV show) that gives some of the facts but falls short of a full blown test drive of the cars they cover. Short articles that enable me to read a couple of pages then put it back down. This way the mag lasts the whole month and I'm not hanging out waiting for the next issue as much. Wheels and Motor still have their place, but they become repetitive in covering the same cars the same month.

I'm not particularly hanging out waiting for their "free" T-shirt, but should be OK for wearing while gardening.

Dowie
25th August 2008, 08:47 PM
Saw a Top gear Australia ad that said "coming soon" tonight.
One of the presenters referred to an Astra as "his grandma's car" lol.

Dee
25th August 2008, 08:53 PM
yeah i downloaded that ad from somwhere a couple of weeks ago now...

ASTRAY
25th August 2008, 11:30 PM
dunno if is been posted yet,
but it seems these guys will be our hosts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO0hKkT2UmE

dieselhead
4th September 2008, 12:06 PM
Sweet! Just got my "Seriously Uncool" cool Top Gear T-shirt :)

Corsa_Rob
4th September 2008, 01:46 PM
I read in the paper on Monday i think, that it will be airing on the 26th of September :dance: