PDA

View Full Version : Hiclone

Groover
14th July 2004, 01:30 PM
I am trying to evaluate the worth of the Hiclone. I had always been a bit sceptical but have really only heard good things about them. I notice at least one guy on these forums supports the Hiclone and according to his signature uses three on the Astra SRi. He has indicated to me that his setup produces good results.

Does anyone else have any experience with these devices? The concept sounds solid and I would consider fitting a couple even if I only got half the performance gain that the manufacturer is advertising.

Jass
14th July 2004, 01:32 PM
Are they backed up by Dyno figures?? If they can proof to you that they produce good power increases do it. Otherwise your throwing you cash away.

Groover
14th July 2004, 01:41 PM
I think that is kinda stating the obvious and that sort of comment is of no use to me really. Dyno figures are another source of marketing bullsh1t and they can be as creative as need be to fulfill their purpose. What I need is genuine comments from people who have experience with the hiclone, people who know whether the claimed dyno figures have any worth.

It doesn't take a genius to evaluate the worth of a modification to ones own vehicle and know whether the money you spent was worth it.

:(

CAL.16V
14th July 2004, 01:55 PM
hey...

i have 2 fitted on my 16v cally......

i bought them ages ago for a price of $300..i wouldnt buy them again for this much...

i took them out a while ago when my car was stuffed but not that its working i put them back in and certainly did notice better mid range torque and generally more power, smoother throughout the rev range...
this might have been partially due to the fact that i reset the computer when i put them in but i would recomend them if you get them cheap....

i think they will particularily benefit a turbo as if you place one before the turbo it is ment to make the turbo spool up quicker and so come on boost earlier....

theirs a guy on this forum which has 2 on a sri-t...he seems happy with them as well and has a dyno printout...

hope this helps...

woody
14th July 2004, 02:01 PM
The whole point of a hiclone is to swirl the air to better atomise the fule and therefore burn more fuel per spark - i've had friends tell me they installed one and had no joy and then others tell me it worked a treat.

One theory for this was that the shape of the induction chambers/piping had a great deal to do with how much circular motion was retained from the exit of the airbox to the chamber. Square/rectuangular piping means less spiralling motion in the air.

I know it's cheap, but really, you only get what you pay for.

Go and get a port and polish. you'll fell better for it. :lol:

Jass
14th July 2004, 03:02 PM
I think that is kinda stating the obvious and that sort of comment is of no use to me really. Dyno figures are another source of marketing bullsh1t and they can be as creative as need be to fulfill their purpose. What I need is genuine comments from people who have experience with the hiclone, people who know whether the claimed dyno figures have any worth.

It doesn't take a genius to evaluate the worth of a modification to ones own vehicle and know whether the money you spent was worth it.

:(

Umm intresting you would put it this way, i guess in my opinion i would want to know if the actual money iam spending is actually going to some improvement in the car. Either performance or otherwise. Cyclones are meant to give you a few extra bhp right? How the heck are you meant to know if there doing this if its not stuck on a dyno and tested before and after???

Taken from the hiclone website

The many benefits of Hiclone include:

More power output
Increased mileage
More stable idling
Reduced engine noise
Longer engine life
Less pollution

At the end of the day mate its your money if you want to spend a few hundred bucks on 'what ppl claim' then that's your perogative.

Just my two cents

Jass
14th July 2004, 03:05 PM
The whole point of a hiclone is to swirl the air to better atomise the fule and therefore burn more fuel per spark - i've had friends tell me they installed one and had no joy and then others tell me it worked a treat.

One theory for this was that the shape of the induction chambers/piping had a great deal to do with how much circular motion was retained from the exit of the airbox to the chamber. Square/rectuangular piping means less spiralling motion in the air.

I know it's cheap, but really, you only get what you pay for.

Go and get a port and polish. you'll fell better for it. :lol:

Just a stupid question but wouldn't the hiclone need to spin the air the same way that the turbo spins to get the full effect???. Also the induction on the astra isnt so user friendly before getting to the turbo. Ive never seen them fitted on the astra though.

Groover
14th July 2004, 03:17 PM
The concept is that you can flow more volume of air when it's all swirling in the same direction instead of random-turbulent. It's all about volume and through-put.

PS: Just looking at your response to my previous post.... did I upset you?

InsaneAsylum
14th July 2004, 03:33 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
that is all

i'd like to see some independant dyno figures, before and after fitting a hiclone WITHOUT ALTERING ANYTHING ELSE.

woody
14th July 2004, 03:40 PM
Absolutely Jass - if it's spinning the opposite way to the turbo you're gonna have not effect at all apart from possibly screwing your bearings (or maybe just getting big flutter??!).

Either way you have to look at it like this - in order to get high flow from the atmosphere to the chamber you need the most unrestricted flow you can.

Sticking a piece of metal in the way ain't gonna make it go quicker.

Jass
14th July 2004, 03:41 PM
Nah groover you didn't, your car buddy, like you said everyone knows what works for them. I just personally wouldn't use it or spend the money on them. :mrgreen:

InsaneAsylum
14th July 2004, 03:53 PM
Either way you have to look at it like this - in order to get high flow from the atmosphere to the chamber you need the most unrestricted flow you can.

Sticking a piece of metal in the way ain't gonna make it go quicker.

words of wisdom!!! a solid metal object in your intake/exhaust is going to reduce top end performance... regardless of which way the air is spinning

woody
14th July 2004, 04:46 PM
ooh a fan! :oops:

InsaneAsylum
14th July 2004, 04:53 PM
i love you man, give us a hug hahahaha

journo
14th July 2004, 07:23 PM
I am definately not an expert, but my fellow journalists (the one I envy) who work at motoring publications have, as far as I am aware, yet to write anything good (or bad for that matter) about the hyclone product.

I see it as meaning this... if it was bad enough said; if it was good and they had reviewed the product Hyclone would quote the magazine for credential.

Having read no independant literature on the product I would steer towards that they are a gimmick.

I do however recall a motorcycle mag (AMT) answered a readers letter on the things skeptically.

Anonymous
15th July 2004, 05:15 PM
agree with journo, sounds like a waste of money, just like 95% of the things out on the market.

If your not picking upmore than 10kw's its cosmetic.

Mr T
17th July 2004, 10:39 AM
Maybe I can offer some light on the subject.

I didn't have a Dyno before the Hiclones were fitted, however I did a few weeks ago, the graph was parallel to a stock Astra (taken from Motor Mag). I recorded a max of 115.2 KW in shootout 4 mode, with other mods listed in signature. I complained to Fuelsaver (the Aus distributor) that the performance gains were not what they had quoted (referring to a Saab 9000 on their website - i.e. 8% more top end and 31% more at mid range). They asked for a copy of my Dyno and researched the issue, they compared it to similar issues that they had with a VX220 in the UK, it turns out that the flat pipe across the engine reduces the effect (Saab's are cylindrical) of the first Hiclone. Mark sent me the following results. He suggested to put the power Hiclone on the other side of that flat pipe, but I just added another there. refer picture

After it was added I noticed a heap more power in midrange as suggested by their website www.fuelsaver.com.au and I am unsure of the top end. I haven't been back to the Dyno or have taken it to WSID yet but I have full intensions of both.

Just to clear a few things up: a Hiclone is not a solid piece that restricts airflow nor is it a moving part, it does not put more air in the cylinders, and I don’t believe (although it may be true) that it brings boost on earlier. It simply makes the air spin around in the intake and hence when it reaches the combustion chamber the air is spinning and that enables the air and fuel to mix better and burn more efficiently. Yamaha's WR450 (without doubt the fastest off-road bike in this land) has an intake manifold that is designed to make the same effect, it spirals around before delivering the air/fuel to the cylinder.

Further to that any disturbance in the air flow (including Butterfly's in Throttle bodies/Carbies) would result in a better mixture of the air and fuel.

I hope I have cleared things up for you guys. 8)

Mr T
17th July 2004, 03:10 PM
I have attached two files for your reference, the excel sheet is something I made to compare it against standard, figues taken from Motor Mag.

I have been told that the cat-back system is worth between 5% and 7% and the filter worth nothing.

Since we have rectified the problem I am expecting 100KW to come in at 125-130KM/H.

Have fun deciding if you want to fork out a measley $300 for 8% more top-end and 31% more at mid range. 8)

Groover
17th July 2004, 04:24 PM
Thanks a lot pal. It is about time someone posted something of use here rather than the crap that others have posted to this thread. It helps to have as much info as you can from reasonable sources when evaluating the potential purchase of a new product.

I find that many users of this forum know just enough to be dangerous (this thread is a good example) and would do better to ask more questions rather than jump in with stupid answers. Hell, I was doing full engine re-builds (including some of the machining) before a lot of these guys were born.

There are very few performance products which can be applied to late model vehicles these days that are cost effective. This is largely because the engines we are running are actually a lot higher tech than many people think.

The Hiclone is a good example of a product which is difficult to evaluate by simply doing a dyno run before and after. Even the most technically challenged would know that modern engine management software has a learning component which means that you probably should wait a week before doing the after mod dyno run anyway.

I am still not completely convinced but I understand the physics a litter better than some of the foolish contributors to this thread and with a full unconditional money back guarantee is probably worth at least a try.

Mr T
17th July 2004, 05:04 PM
Thanks mate, I appreciate your comments but ease up on the before being born bit ay :wink:

Even the most technically challenged would know that modern engine management software has a learning component which means that you probably should wait a week before doing the after mod dyno run anyway.

As I learned the other day

By the way nice car dude :!:

journo
17th July 2004, 08:44 PM
It is about time someone posted something of use here rather than the crap that others have posted to this thread.

Groover, in my experience it is one's own choice in the end what to believe and all of what is posted above is what people themselves believe and in some cases why.

All opinion rumour etc has some element of truth to it and it is up to the individual to decipher their truth from the input they receive.

Don't be so self rightious... people do not post what they believe to be crap... and they are only offering their experience and OPINION.

Cheers.

OPL-20T
18th July 2004, 12:27 AM
journo
Newbie if you dont like what the guys on this forum are posting and ifyou dont agree with it THAT IS YOUR BAD LUCK. not everyone one knows it all about anything or everything, so can you lease ease up on what you say in here as you might have offended a few people. all people have diff backgrounds and knowledge and no one is perfect so before you post read it back to your self and think twice.
cheers mate
OPL-20T.

OPL-20T
18th July 2004, 12:29 AM
so whats this product $$$ to buy or to get is shipped to Aust?

journo
18th July 2004, 09:41 AM
journo
Newbie if you dont like what the guys on this forum are posting and ifyou dont agree with it THAT IS YOUR BAD LUCK. not everyone one knows it all about anything or everything, so can you lease ease up on what you say in here as you might have offended a few people. all people have diff backgrounds and knowledge and no one is perfect so before you post read it back to your self and think twice.
cheers mate
OPL-20T.

I'm confused... that can't have been aimed at me...
If it was aimed at Groover...

It is about time someone posted something of use here rather than the crap that others have posted to this thread.
then I agree fully.

Anonymous
18th July 2004, 11:03 AM
Thanks a lot pal. It is about time someone posted something of use here rather than the crap that others have posted to this thread.

I am still not completely convinced but I understand the physics a litter better than some of the foolish contributors to this thread

Groover, i understand your point, but keep it on topic and bit less insults and maybe use a bit better choice of words in future posts, ok?

mr_astra_retired
18th July 2004, 11:16 AM
Thanks a lot pal. It is about time someone posted something of use here rather than the crap that others have posted to this thread.
I find that many users of this forum know just enough to be dangerous (this thread is a good example) and would do better to ask more questions rather than jump in with stupid answers. Hell, I was doing full engine re-builds (including some of the machining) before a lot of these guys were born.

Hmm well groover its like this , if you ask questions on a forum you must accept users feed back , and it doesnt help your future questions when you put users down . You asked questions , so you got answers Weather it was helpful or not !!
Hopefully Glenn aka Onenutsbigger has answered your questions in this matter.
This thread now locked cos i can see it getting out of hand !!