PDA

View Full Version : VXR - Silver Lightening

SIMid
24th May 2008, 12:56 PM
:eek:

http://liveimages.carsales.com.au/dealer/carpoint/10362356.jpg

Saw this at Watson Holden yesterday, dammit, colour is awesome!

http://liveimages.carsales.com.au/dealer/carpoint/10362357.jpg

Looks more grey than silver in certain light. Better than Star Silver IMO. :clap:

GreyRex
24th May 2008, 02:46 PM
I saw a black VXR in Ballarat (parked) with those 08 shadow rims. I actually stopped and went :eek:

poita
24th May 2008, 05:18 PM
oh dam, only subtle changes
but fuk me its nice

Shaun
24th May 2008, 11:02 PM
Yeah im liking the colour to be honest.

USC
25th May 2008, 12:19 AM
not a bad colour! is the AH due to be replaced next year?

ROCCO
25th May 2008, 12:33 AM
damn it *ROCCO JUST EXPERIENCED AN EXPLOSION IN HIS PANTS*

USC
25th May 2008, 12:49 AM
damn it *ROCCO JUST EXPERIENCED AN EXPLOSION IN HIS PANTS*

r u gay?:p

95' GSI
25th May 2008, 01:10 AM
not too shabby

maloo97
25th May 2008, 12:32 PM
Very nice colour, Got my vote!

bornwild
25th May 2008, 12:52 PM
Great colour, wish the exhaust was a bit bigger

MatsHolden
25th May 2008, 12:57 PM
Looks great, really suits the VXR and it compliments the updated rims very well.

SIMid
25th May 2008, 09:57 PM
Maybe I should trade mine in and upgrade. :p

USC
25th May 2008, 10:26 PM
Maybe I should trade mine in and upgrade. :p

not worth it considering the new model is coming next year.

sooty
25th May 2008, 10:32 PM
Doesn't do it for me...although the new wheels look hot...

OPC
25th May 2008, 10:33 PM
not worth it considering the new model is coming next year.

what new model ?

coming where ?

MatsHolden
25th May 2008, 10:34 PM
what new model ?

coming where ?

The new Astra. But it will be more the end of 09 start of 2010.

OPC
25th May 2008, 10:37 PM
The new Astra. But it will be more the end of 09 start of 2010.

aha is this the new AWD 220KW astra ?

MatsHolden
25th May 2008, 10:56 PM
aha is this the new AWD 220KW astra ?

Well the VXR will be out a bit later. Don't expect that before 2010. There's whispers of an AWD 220+kW VXR Astra but nothing confirmed.

OPC
25th May 2008, 10:58 PM
Well the VXR will be out a bit later. Don't expect that before 2010. Their's whispers of an AWD 220+kW VXR Astra but nothing confirmed.

Would be pretty big $$$$

wonder if HSV will bring it in seeing the VXR isnt really a big seller

SIMid
26th May 2008, 08:39 AM
Hmmm ...... might wait then, but then, the pics I've seen, I havent been sold by the looks. Dont like the cross design of coupe and mini-mpv.

Wraith
26th May 2008, 10:43 AM
Definitely looks good in that colour :)

I've always liked this colour, even on the TS Astras before the AH, it looks nice !!!

Spewing as always GMH never brings in the entire range of options, as this colour was also available on the TS verts O/S...

Another good feature of this colour is that it hides dirt, so it makes for a very good everyday driven vehicle colour choice :)

If you wanted one of these, why not ?? new model VXR (ie: by the time it lands in Aust.) would be at least 2-3 years away yet...

btm
26th May 2008, 10:55 AM
i am definitely a fan of that colour!

sooty
26th May 2008, 02:18 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/2hoz04h.jpg
Same deal?
my mate sent it to me, and it looks like it has the new wheels...

btm
26th May 2008, 02:40 PM
looks like it to me

Shaun
26th May 2008, 10:31 PM
Would be pretty big $$$$

wonder if HSV will bring it in seeing the VXR isnt really a big seller

That could be all about to change. Some of the guys in the NSW HSV Club on the weekend were talking about looking at buying one for a run around. with price of fuel on the increase it would make sense to keep a Clubsport or GTS in the garage during the week. And they seem to actually accept the car as a HSV product and seem to like the car as well. . I think Now there are acouple of members in the club and they have seen the car preform on the track and on the road the perseption has changed from the public eye.

With price of fuel prodicted to be arround the $2.00 mark a litre by christmas HSV may end up keeping the VXR and importing the corsa. Some how i dont think HSV would make the commitment of bringing in a model then also securing a limited number of the Nurburgring Edition if they are planning to walk away from the car. I believe HSV will keep the car coming to australia for at least another year. And if they do drop the astra it will be due to the new Model is in production next year and the VXR is about 18months behind the release of the next gen Astra. Quite possibly we could see the Corsa come into the market if the VXR Astra is to cease importation / Production early next year.

If HSV are to stop importing the cars i think you will find it will be due to a ceased production of the cars. Sales have moved well when you consider the car is up against a hard selling point of Clarkson's review and a couple of the local reviews. Media seem to over exacturate some times. (Just like how they say the Golf GTi is the worlds best hot hatch and is perfect. Ive yet to see a Perfect motor vehicle built otherwise i would be out of a job).

Yeah sure there have been some left before the next batch arrives each year but they were never planned to be a " RUNAWAY Addtion" which i think has been no more then 15 cars at any given time.

Considering HSV can only a handful of units a year due to demand in the UK Europe and South Africa you wouldnt expect them to be a volume selling model. As a matter of fact i like they idea they arent as popular as a golf. When people see them i always get asked what is it an hows it go....

Getting back to the colour i think it looks good with the new rims. But i seen a Black 08 VXR @ Suttons Chullora Sunday and the polished face with the black car looks quite hot.

Shaun
26th May 2008, 10:32 PM
... deleted... qouted

SIMid
27th May 2008, 08:11 AM
Some good points Shaun.

Maybe I'll wait to see how much a Nurb will be and decide then. :p

btm
27th May 2008, 08:44 AM
mmmmm... white VXR :drool:

Greg K
27th May 2008, 08:47 AM
i would be keen to buy one if/when the Nurb edition comes out!

Wraith
27th May 2008, 09:01 AM

Nurb. edition will arrive, BUT in limited numbers (20 units) so if you really want one, I'd say you need to put a deposit now to 'definitely' secure one !!!

Whilst sales of the VXR's is slow ATM, because those Nurb. editions will be limited and in white, they'll go quickly, unless HSV decide to pull a stupid move like raise the price by a very noticeable amount, that might turn people off...

Also agree some good points above by Shaun, what you've suggested is exactly what I've done for most of my driving life, ie: have the HSV V8 in the garage for the week and a more practicle/economical everyday ride, but speaking for myself, I chose an N/A 4 potter, not a turbo, that defeats the whole purpose of trying to cut down the fuel bill and other running costs...and gives you a greater buzz on weekends when you take out the beast :D

Greg K
27th May 2008, 09:56 AM
will ring later on to see if HSV have heard anything about it yet...

Wraith
27th May 2008, 01:00 PM
will ring later on to see if HSV have heard anything about it yet...

That'll be interesting, because here in Melb. one dealer I spoke to a couple of months ago now (and I wrote a thread on it in the VXR section) told me they're definitely coming - 20 only - Australia wide !!!

HSV might dismiss it until it actually comes...you could always 'pre-order' with a minimum and fully refundable deposit if they are a no show, or the price is beyond current pricing or any other agreements you might want to put forward ;)

Greg K
27th May 2008, 01:56 PM
only one way to find out i suppose... i am hoping they come out after July, as it will give me enough time to organise my finances with the accountant.. plus i have to try and convince the missus of it too!! fingers crossed!

Wraith
27th May 2008, 03:10 PM
only one way to find out i suppose... i am hoping they come out after July, as it will give me enough time to organise my finances with the accountant.. plus i have to try and convince the missus of it too!! fingers crossed!

Best of luck with it :)

Would be nice to have at least one member on the forum with a white VXR :)

GreyRex
27th May 2008, 03:13 PM
Best of luck with it :)

Would be nice to have at least one member on the forum with a white VXR :)

It'd be interesting to see how they 'spec' it...

Would we get the 80's looking 18's?

Would we get the Remus?

Either way it'd be great if someone was to purchase one if they came here

Greg K
27th May 2008, 06:33 PM
when do you think it will come our Wraith???

well if i get one, the 18's will be coming off and the 19" VXR wheels that i already have will be going straight on.... (provided that i dont sell them :))

Wraith
27th May 2008, 08:42 PM
when do you think it will come our Wraith???

well if i get one, the 18's will be coming off and the 19" VXR wheels that i already have will be going straight on.... (provided that i dont sell them :))

TBH I don't know....

The HSV dealer in question who told me about them, stated later this year sometime...so 'probably' next batch - maybe ???

I agree totally with your choice of wheel, those 18" white ones it comes with look terrible IMHO, the stock VXR machined face 19's will look 10 times better, on a white VXR, who cares if they weigh a little more :)

That's the 1st thing I'd do too to one of those white VXR's is change the wheels, only I'd go for a nice set aftermarket 20's :) if your seriously considering a white VXR, definitely hang onto those wheels you have, you will be able to easily sell those at anytime in the future anyway ;)

SIMid
27th May 2008, 09:19 PM
Saw this on the UK site. I had to change my undies and wipe myself down.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o263/andy_gdon/newwheels005.jpg

Na, I'll stick with my Red BST for a bit longer. Very fond of her and dont want to make her jealous. ;)

poita
27th May 2008, 09:21 PM
im in love

ROCCO
27th May 2008, 09:50 PM
r u gay?:p

nope...just get excited...a little too easily I think :(

Wraith
28th May 2008, 10:47 AM

Na, I'll stick with my Red BST for a bit longer. Very fond of her and dont want to make her jealous. ;)

WOW !!!

That does look very nice, lowered very nicely too, even the mags are 'ok' much nicer than the 18" white ones it's factory fitted with...

I still think it would look much nicer with the standard VXR 19's or even the 18's of the AH Sri T, in my eyes, there's too much white hapenning there, would be good to break it up a bit :)

I'm going to take a look at one of these in the flesh when they arrive, just got to blank out that stupid graphic, gee that spoils the picture...

Orion_996
28th May 2008, 10:53 AM
Whoa, that white one is just fantastic, i want to paint mine white now...

SSS_Hoon
28th May 2008, 11:14 AM
even i like the VXR in white its good, dont like twhite wheels all that much though or the damms tickers on it but other then that i wouldn't sell it if i was given one, but actually buying one mmmm dont think so.

edit. back on topic, the silver looks ok i like the new darker wheels, but the arden is still king of the colours(except white)

SSS_Hoon

Greg K
28th May 2008, 03:17 PM

ohh man.... i want one badly now!!!

btm
28th May 2008, 03:50 PM
even i like the VXR in white

wow... it must really be a good looking astra :p

Wraith
28th May 2008, 04:15 PM
ohh man.... i want one badly now!!!

I know of someone else who made some enquiries today about getting one ;)

Maybe that will make 2 of you, if you do the same :)

Red AH SRI T
28th May 2008, 08:18 PM

Yes, it is coming. Just be patient ;)

Silver Lightning was offered when the AH model first came out, but never in the VXR. It was then discontinued. So it now is a VXR exclusive colour (in Oz anyway).

Greg K
28th May 2008, 10:34 PM
Yes, it is coming. Just be patient ;)

Silver Lightning was offered when the AH model first came out, but never in the VXR. It was then discontinued. So it now is a VXR exclusive colour (in Oz anyway).

do you know when?? by the end of the year??

Shaun
30th May 2008, 01:13 AM
Some good points Shaun.

Maybe I'll wait to see how much a Nurb will be and decide then. :p

Around the $49,000 mark on the road. $2,500 more then a standard VXR.

SIMid
30th May 2008, 08:34 AM
Around the $49,000 mark on the road. $2,500 more then a standard VXR.

Okay, changed my mind. *LOL*

SSS_Hoon
30th May 2008, 08:40 AM
wow... it must really be a good looking astra :p

yeah i know it must be ey, coming from a Jap Crap FanBoi....

thing is i cannot justify getting one.

SSS_Hoon

Wraith
30th May 2008, 08:59 AM
Okay, changed my mind. *LOL*

If you sell privately or trade up on yours, it won't be so bad Simon....something to consider, if you 'really' wanted one :)

btm
30th May 2008, 09:36 AM
as much as i would love one cause it looks sexy as in white. think of what else you could get for $50K... opens up a whole new ball park!

immenotu
30th May 2008, 09:39 AM
My thoughts were to buy a low k second hand silver VXR and get it sprayed pearl white. Would save a heap of money, and have better looking rims. Sure it wouldnt be a 'burg edition, but would look just as good if not better.

SSS_Hoon
30th May 2008, 09:39 AM
as much as i would love one cause it looks sexy as in white. think of what else you could get for $50K... opens up a whole new ball park!

yep sure does.

Think our next car will be a Liberty GT-B wagon, or a CX7(both the wifes choice hehe, as she is thinking family now grrr)

SSS_Hoon

btm
30th May 2008, 09:47 AM
i love the liberty, in both wagan and sedan. in the dark silver colour please :D

SSS_Hoon
30th May 2008, 09:48 AM
nah ours would be white.

if it were upto me we would be getting a S3 Audi and the damm family get get in the back of the GTI LoL

SSS_Hoon

btm
30th May 2008, 09:55 AM
yeah the white looks the shiz also. in fact, all the new scoobys look fantastic in white

Greg K
30th May 2008, 12:24 PM
yep sure does.

Think our next car will be a Liberty GT-B wagon, or a CX7(both the wifes choice hehe, as she is thinking family now grrr)

SSS_Hoon

the liberty is a great car as too the CX7.. although i have heard varying reports on the fuel consumption of the CX7, so i would look into it if you plan to go that way..

i am really struck by thie Nurburgring edition VXR... i mean, how many people get to say that they own one of 20 or so vehicles in the country!.. the 50k price bracket really open up to many other cars, but how many can match the Nurb. VXR for its exclusiveness..

Wraith
30th May 2008, 01:32 PM

+ 2 IMO totally agree add a little more on top and your really looking at some other much more exciting vehicle choices, but to those who really want one and can afford to buy outright or as a company car, or with only a little on top of a trade in or private sale - why not ;)

However in most cases, it'll be alot more than 50k because most people will buy a car for private use and with finance !

If you purchased a VXR over a 5 year (60 month) finance plan, it could end up costing the better part of 60k :eek: sorry to say, not for me...

Greg K
30th May 2008, 02:50 PM
i know that this is going quite off topic now, but how much would it work out to be if claiming for business purposes?? can i claim 70% of the lease if i am using it for business purposes 70% of the time???

btm
30th May 2008, 03:06 PM
i know that this is going quite off topic now, but how much would it work out to be if claiming for business purposes?? can i claim 70% of the lease if i am using it for business purposes 70% of the time???

depends on how much you earn and what tax bracket you're in i believe

Greg K
30th May 2008, 03:15 PM
depends on how much you earn and what tax bracket you're in i believe

so basically i got to see my accountant and crunch some numbers..

btm
30th May 2008, 03:44 PM

basically

Wraith
30th May 2008, 04:40 PM

Yep, that'd be your best bet for accurate numbers and also having a company (preferably yours) to put it under is a necessity too :)

btm
30th May 2008, 04:43 PM
its coming up to tax time anyway... drop in the question during general chitchat to see what he/she says

Greg K
31st May 2008, 08:24 AM
spotted a red VXR last night.... i so want the white one now!!!!

going to speak to accountant today! yay!

SIMid
31st May 2008, 11:23 AM
If you sell privately or trade up on yours, it won't be so bad Simon....something to consider, if you 'really' wanted one :)

Hmmmm, maybe I'll pop into a dealer and see what they say.

Wraith
1st June 2008, 10:16 AM
Hmmmm, maybe I'll pop into a dealer and see what they say.

Sounds good - would be interesting and of course ' if ' they (HSV) don't end up bringing them in, you won't be doing anything anyway and keep your Sri T :)

SIMid
1st June 2008, 04:04 PM
Sounds good - would be interesting and of course ' if ' they (HSV) don't end up bringing them in, you won't be doing anything anyway and keep your Sri T :)

20 Nurbs (Australia wide) are arriving into the country in a couple of months time. They gave me a great trade in price, just the balance is a bit much. *L*

Misses not convinced. I need to work on that now ....... :p

Greg K
1st June 2008, 04:19 PM
20 Nurbs (Australia wide) are arriving into the country in a couple of months time. They gave me a great trade in price, just the balance is a bit much. *L*

Misses not convinced. I need to work on that now ....... :p

hmmmm did they say how much the Nurb is??? and when they will arrive?? i expect they they may have similar delays as with the VXR..

i have the same problem trying to convince the missus too!

SIMid
1st June 2008, 04:36 PM
hmmmm did they say how much the Nurb is??? and when they will arrive?? i expect they they may have similar delays as with the VXR..

i have the same problem trying to convince the missus too!

The pricing hasnt been finalised, but they say between $1500-$2500 extra on top of the standard VXR. Options unknown, ie. black dash, keyless start, etc. All they could show me was an email on their system.

As for VXRs, they have like 4 at this dealership and I had a feeling they were desperate to shift one or two of them.

SIMid
1st June 2008, 08:29 PM

You'll need either another set of white, grey or black. VXR rims dont suit it at all.

http://beta.finance-on.net/galerije/54/opel_astra_opc_nurburgring_aja.jpg

sooty
1st June 2008, 08:30 PM
You'll need either another set of white, grey or black. VXR rims dont suit it at all.

http://beta.finance-on.net/galerije/54/opel_astra_opc_nurburgring_aja.jpg

Agreed...that looks bad...

GreyRex
1st June 2008, 09:48 PM
I think the 19's look fantastic on the white. That pic is really bad and makes them look grey. From my understanding they're the new shadow chrome. HOT!!

Wraith
2nd June 2008, 08:57 AM
The pricing hasnt been finalised, but they say between $1500-$2500 extra on top of the standard VXR. Options unknown, ie. black dash, keyless start, etc. All they could show me was an email on their system.

As for VXRs, they have like 4 at this dealership and I had a feeling they were desperate to shift one or two of them.

See how you go Simon - you might get lucky :)

And as I've mentioned before - the standard 19's look heaps better than those poxy white wheels it comes with...

As for VXR's sitting idle at dealerships - most definitely the case for quite some time - people who want one, have one ! it's a limited niche market as is known already and that's why they (GMH/HSV) only imported 200 into the Country on the last batch...you never know, it might work out for the better if they can't get rid of them, they might start giving em away for alot less...

SIMid
2nd June 2008, 09:17 AM
See how you go Simon - you might get lucky :)

I was doing the sums last night, the upgrade is not what I call "reasonable" for dollar value. Better check my powerball ticket as it's looking less likely to happen.

Wraith
2nd June 2008, 09:29 AM
I was doing the sums last night, the upgrade is not what I call "reasonable" for dollar value. Better check my powerball ticket as it's looking less likely to happen.

LOL heard that from so many people at a house party I was at yesterday...ie: how did you go with your powerballor tatts....:)

GreyRex
2nd June 2008, 12:23 PM
HOT!!

Wraith
2nd June 2008, 12:51 PM
HOT!!

That's the way to go - just lose the graphic and it'll be perfect :)

I dare say - much nicer than the arden blue...

btm
2nd June 2008, 01:03 PM
HOT!!

yeah, the truck is pretty cool!! :p

SSS_Hoon
2nd June 2008, 01:04 PM
That's the way to go - just lose the graphic and it'll be perfect :)

I dare say - much nicer than the arden blue...

x2

the graphic would have to go.

And white>Arden Blue for sure.

SSS_Hoon

Greg K
2nd June 2008, 02:42 PM
dont show me photos like that!!! makes me want one even more!!

GreyRex
2nd June 2008, 02:52 PM
dont show me photos like that!!! makes me want one even more!!

Sorry what was that??:p

LOL

Greg K
2nd June 2008, 03:49 PM

LOL

OI!! stop it! :)
my heart is telling me to get one, but my head is telling me otherwise.. damn conflicting body parts!

Wraith
2nd June 2008, 03:53 PM

LOL

That's a real nice shot - makes it look very nice indeed...

You'd better stop Miz. your causing jock explosions :D

Oh forgot to mention earlier, I'd also colour code the mirrors, IMO they'll look better in matching white :)

SSS_Hoon
2nd June 2008, 04:00 PM
lol i never even noticed the mirrors, and now you mentioned it every time i look at a pic of one that is the first thing i notice good on ya...LoL

3 things i would now do to a Burg Ed if i was to get one.

1) remove stickers
2) remove white wheels and replace (buddy club's would go nice)
3) colour code mirrors.

SSS_Hoon

sooty
2nd June 2008, 04:06 PM
Oh forgot to mention earlier, I'd also colour code the mirrors, IMO they'll look better in matching white :)

I noticed that too a couple of pics back, and have to agree...

Wraith
2nd June 2008, 04:27 PM
E36 style M3 mirrors, white colour coded would be the perfect finishing touch :)

GreyRex
2nd June 2008, 04:48 PM
I know you all want more...:p

SIMid
2nd June 2008, 08:03 PM
I better get my ticket tomorrow ...........

poita
2nd June 2008, 09:11 PM
so you can fly to perth and live after the misses finds out you bought one?

DaveM
2nd June 2008, 10:08 PM
As for VXR's sitting idle at dealerships - most definitely the case for quite some time - people who want one, have one ! it's a limited niche market as is known already and that's why they (GMH/HSV) only imported 200 into the Country on the last batch...you never know, it might work out for the better if they can't get rid of them, they might start giving em away for alot less...

Thats how I got my VXR for 38k drive away... been sitting on the showroom floor for a while.

SIMid
3rd June 2008, 07:36 AM
so you can fly to perth and live after the misses finds out you bought one?

*LOL* Or do the Cannonball thing, paint it red and wash it down when I go to meets. :p

Wraith
3rd June 2008, 09:09 AM
Thats how I got my VXR for 38k drive away... been sitting on the showroom floor for a while.

If that was for a brand spanking, non ex-demo, or ex managers run-a-bout etc. then that's a top buy, you did well :)

38k is a fair price to pay for a new VXR :)

Wraith
3rd June 2008, 09:12 AM
*LOL* Or do the Cannonball thing, paint it red and wash it down when I go to meets. :p

Just tell the missus, you got yours re-sprayed to white...she wouldn't know the other differences, as yours has alot of the VXR trimmings already :)

DaveM
3rd June 2008, 10:08 AM
If that was for a brand spanking, non ex-demo, or ex managers run-a-bout etc. then that's a top buy, you did well :)

38k is a fair price to pay for a new VXR :)

I guess you could call it a demonstrator, had 100km on the clock.

Wraith
3rd June 2008, 10:42 AM
I guess you could call it a demonstrator, had 100km on the clock.

I think that could be considered as good as new :)