PDA

View Full Version : BOV on Z20LET - Worth While?

Groover
13th July 2004, 08:34 PM
For those of you who have fitted a BOV to your Z20LET, considering that the K03 turbocharger already has a small dump valve at the turbo how much difference did a decent BOV actually make?

Still deciding if I really want one on my Astra... is it worth while?

OPL-20T
13th July 2004, 09:40 PM
dont bother, keep the original one and save your $$$. from what people have said and from what i have heard its just $$$ down the drain for abit or a wooosh sound.

mr_astra_retired
13th July 2004, 10:22 PM
I have a Bailey BOV and i love it !! Makes a nice sound , not too loud , and doesnt make my car run rough or rich etc .. I have disconnected the standard bov with the fitting kit supplied with the bov.

NOw its up to you , do you like the sound of them ?? If so get one , i got one second hand and it works great !!
BE careful of using other types of valves like GFB and turbosmart etc as these CAN make yr car run rough ! But the Bailey works a treat .

Hope this helps mate heres a pic of my set up

http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/v29/mr_astra/Suc30035.jpg

Jass
14th July 2004, 06:53 AM
They say the Bailey is meant to run on the z20let motor, but who knows really. Turbosmart have developed a BOV for the astra know so try giving them a call. I had a GFB in my car and it worked fine, however when i have the AMD map loaded it made the car run really rich. However if you have something like a unichip on the car and BOV you have no problems, and the chip can be tuned to have the BOV on there. Just be careful thought that you dont get cought by the cops or worse the EPA, as its a $5,500 fine for not meeting the EPA standards for emissions and a canary on your windscreen!

Rhino
14th July 2004, 10:21 AM
1. BOV's are only illegal if they vent to atmosphere. The astra has a recirculating bov as stock so as long as you plumb it back it'll be fine.

2. A cop with a bug up his butt might site you for it being too loud. I think the TurboSmart has a 'volume' control.

If you want the sound, take the risk... your call
If it's performance... don't bother.
Use your cash for CAI or something beneficial.

freaktown
14th July 2004, 10:33 AM
Personally i perfer GFB Stealth FX. It has a Volume Control (which is really just a valve that selects how much air you will vent into the atmosphere)

It also as standered runs some air back into the car to ensure the Car dosnt run to rich!
Personal choice but its very expensive.. about $500 i think!

BOV's wont make much of a differance in street use, but in track work and extended periods of boost a BOV can make a differance, in throttle reponse and kepping the boost up!

Jass
14th July 2004, 11:52 AM
1. BOV's are only illegal if they vent to atmosphere. The astra has a recirculating bov as stock so as long as you plumb it back it'll be fine.

2. A cop with a bug up his butt might site you for it being too loud. I think the TurboSmart has a 'volume' control.

If you want the sound, take the risk... your call
If it's performance... don't bother.
Use your cash for CAI or something beneficial.

All BOV are illegal, a blow off vale is a vale that vents to the atmosphere otherwise its a plumb back valve like the re cerculating valve which is found on the astra. Even that stealth is illegal, if you stick your car on a dyno and check the emissions levels you will see what i mean, trust me i went through all this nightmare when i got my car certified. The stealth (in NSW anyways) is still illegal because it can be adjusted to either vent or plumb back, you need to have a full plumb back valve for it to be legal, mind you you might be able to hide it from the coppers by turning the venting sound off and removing the trumpet. I checked this with the RTA and the EPA centre of NSW. Fines for this can be upto $5,500 dollars.

Iam not sure about what the turbo smart valve looks like as i havent seen it as yet, might want to call them direct. Also remember that you will probobly need to get some custom piping made for the aftermarket plumb back, or half plumb back valve on the car.

Groover
14th July 2004, 01:07 PM
I am only interested in go (not show) and would specifically go to a lot of trouble to avoid the BOV noise (plumb back) as long as there was a performance advantage. It appears that from the comments so far..... it is not worth the expense from a performance aspect.

Jass
14th July 2004, 01:19 PM
That astra plumb back is good for 18-20pounds save your money you dont need an aftermarket plumb back. There is no benifit. The car will run much better with the orginal one in there, and you wont get all the problems with the cops and epa if you get pulled over.

Matt Smith
18th July 2004, 02:25 AM
The Z20LET has the K04 Turbo. It is a bit of a mix and match, it has the K03 Exhaust section, but the compressor housing and everything else is K04. So it is classed as a K04.

Right under the Turbo you will find a blue and silver label, it clearly states K04. But in the UK the general opinion is that the only benefit of a BOV is for the noise.

I have tried a few different trpes and the engine does'nt like them. :D

Jass
18th July 2004, 11:50 AM
I gree Matt is makes the car run rich and in some instances its all jerk too

mr_astra_retired
18th July 2004, 11:54 AM
I gree Matt is makes the car run rich and in some instances its all jerk too

Not the bailey though :wink:

Jass
18th July 2004, 11:57 AM
I cant say i have had the bailey steve, so that might be the go.

Matt Smith
18th July 2004, 08:09 PM
I have used the bailey version. Still does'nt run as well. Bailey Motorsport are based about 30 miles from me, I called in to say it was'nt running to well with it. they told me sometimes this happens.