PDA

View Full Version : Xenon Headlights

tim_
21st May 2008, 06:57 PM
Are these worth it? The car I want this week is the Golf GTI haha. I want leather, a sunroof, DSG (well, when I come to buy I'll drive the manual too to see which I prefer...), but I don't know if it's worthwhile seeking one out with Xenon headlights. Given this is an Opel forum 99% won't have them, but are they something that should be sort out, or give or take?

poita
21st May 2008, 07:00 PM
if you can get one with them, defin do it.
makes a massive difference

JR
21st May 2008, 07:30 PM
if you can get one with them, defin do it.
makes a massive difference

+1
+1
+1
+1
+1

:D
i've got them and it makes a huge difference.

blueraven
21st May 2008, 07:35 PM
agreed, they are amazing, mine light up the road like the day :)

RobCDX
21st May 2008, 07:39 PM
HID lights do make a difference, it lights up the road a whole heap better therfore improving visibilty and safety. i had them installed in my astra and the next car i get will either have them as factory fitted or im going aftermarket again.

(adds to ur street presence too, everyone will see u roll up)

Wraith
21st May 2008, 07:50 PM
+5

Agree with all the guys above :)

I've installed them in both my Calibra and Astra - will never settle for 'normal' headlights again !!!! they are that good :)

Also with the Golf, you have the great advantage of them being a factory fitted option, so you definitely can't go wrong ;)

So yes, find a Gti with Xenon HID's or get them installed !

GreyRex
22nd May 2008, 08:23 AM
That's going to be a 50K Golf there...

If you're going all that way, consider the R32 lol

Greg K
22nd May 2008, 08:41 AM
i have factory Xenons on my vectra... and absolutely love them.. i wouldnt go back to normal halogen headlights again.
they make a massive difference to night time driving!

just be careful though, as they are not cheap to replace.. might be an idea to invest into some headlight protectors as they could cost over $1k each side to replace..

btm
22nd May 2008, 10:51 AM
+36

i wish i had them...

RobCDX
22nd May 2008, 12:01 PM
i have factory Xenons on my vectra... and absolutely love them.. i wouldnt go back to normal halogen headlights again.
they make a massive difference to night time driving!

just be careful though, as they are not cheap to replace.. might be an idea to invest into some headlight protectors as they could cost over $1k each side to replace..

is that to get the factory kit replaced?
coz with aftermarket u could just replace the whole lot for around $300 - $400 (in my case it would be)
i was advised that if u have to replace the ballast, then it would be better to replace both at the same time. same theory as regular headlight bulbs.
but i could have been miss-informed

tim_
22nd May 2008, 12:32 PM
That's going to be a 50K Golf there...

If you're going all that way, consider the R32 lol

2nd hand bro... hence my question of whether it's worth seeking on out with xenons. it's still 6 months away tho, i will change my mind about 10 times in that time haha

Wraith
22nd May 2008, 12:52 PM
it's still 6 months away tho, i will change my mind about 10 times in that time haha

LOL don't we all :)

oneightoo
22nd May 2008, 01:16 PM
i had them in my calibra - 8000k ones, and boy did they make the night turn in to day..

Wraith
22nd May 2008, 01:26 PM
i had them in my calibra - 8000k ones, and boy did they make the night turn in to day..

I have exactly the same in exactly the same car :)

And yes, they're great - but if you had 4,500-6000k they would be even better/brighter again as these give off a pure super bright white light :)

I've adopted 8000k for a bit of that 'trade mark blue-ish' HID bling...:D

Either way, Xenon HID rules for headlight globes :)

The only precaution I'd add here, is if you are going to use aftermarket HID's do try and make sure you also get projector headlight assemblies if your car dosn't have them as standard - HID's are so strong, they do cause blinding/dazzling to other road users, so be safe :)

oneightoo
22nd May 2008, 01:30 PM
yeah i got flashed a few times driving, people must have thought i had my high beams on..

Greg K
22nd May 2008, 02:09 PM
is that to get the factory kit replaced?
coz with aftermarket u could just replace the whole lot for around $300 - $400 (in my case it would be)
i was advised that if u have to replace the ballast, then it would be better to replace both at the same time. same theory as regular headlight bulbs.
but i could have been miss-informed

well a replacement headlight including ballasts, motors, levels etc will cost over $1k each side (non-aftermarket)..

you are right when they say to replace both ballasts (not cheap) as with globes too..

we all know aftermarket kits are cheaper, but is looking at getting them factory fitted... so i just wanted to warn him that OEM parts are not cheap for xenons..

its all well and good to say that they are great, but they do have their cost disadvantage over normal headlights.

Wraith
22nd May 2008, 02:39 PM
Correct GregK they are not cheap as a factory option...

But in tim's case, he'll be looking for a S/H Gti, so if he gets one of those, the above won't affect him much :)

tim_
22nd May 2008, 04:01 PM
I'd probably be too scared, should I only be able to find GTIs with normal headlights, to aftermarket a xenon set. I'm really worried about warranties etc

tomburke7
22nd May 2008, 05:47 PM
And yes, they're great - but if you had 4,500-6000k they would be even better/brighter again as these give off a pure super bright white light :)

I agree, you can buy PHILIPS DIAMONDVISION halogen globes in H1, H3, H4, H7, HB3, HB4. These globes are stock wattage so they don't damage plastic lenses, and an easy replacement. They are 5000K, and burn pretty bright. Best of all the cost is reasonable, about $90 a set on e-bay.

MatsHolden
22nd May 2008, 06:49 PM
I agree, you can buy PHILIPS DIAMONDVISION halogen globes in H1, H3, H4, H7, HB3, HB4. These globes are stock wattage so they don't damage plastic lenses, and an easy replacement. They are 5000K, and burn pretty bright. Best of all the cost is reasonable, about $90 a set on e-bay.

The Diamond Vision look great but aren't that great for illumination...

MatsHolden
22nd May 2008, 06:50 PM
its all well and good to say that they are great, but they do have their cost disadvantage over normal headlights.

They do last about 10 times longer compared to halogen globes though.

JR
22nd May 2008, 10:36 PM
The Diamond Vision look great but aren't that great for illumination...
+1

As MatsHolden said, they might look great, but they ain't great for illumination.

sure its 5000k, but thats only the color temperature. this determines how yellow/white/blue/purple the globes output color is.
wats important is the lumens - this determines how much visible/useful light is generated. the more the lumens, the better the road illumination. xenon hid globes have a much much higher lumens output.

i used to have the "xenon look" h7 halogen globes (4300k) before in my projector headlights - they were so shiet, i went back to normal globes.

u just cannot compare halogen globes with xenon hid globes.

CNBLU
22nd May 2008, 11:09 PM
im about to install my HID 8000k next week as i have been running diamond vision bulbs (which arnt that bad) but dont compare anywhere near those of HID quality. Will post up some pics and give you guys a review on them.

ps. aftermarket HID's price have come down recently and you can pick up a decent set for under $200;)

bornwild
22nd May 2008, 11:37 PM
I wish I had them :)

bornwild
22nd May 2008, 11:48 PM
Found a kit for $150.00...don't know why anyone would option them as factory as they're usually around $2000 from factory.

http://cracker.com.au/melbourne-vic/parts-accessories/car-accessories-spare-parts/hid-xenon-h1-h3-h4-h7-kits-6000k/391850200/advert.htm?return=1

oneightoo
23rd May 2008, 08:07 AM
I wish I had them :)

so get them??

Greg K
23rd May 2008, 08:40 AM
Correct GregK they are not cheap as a factory option...

But in tim's case, he'll be looking for a S/H Gti, so if he gets one of those, the above won't affect him much :)

yes but should Tim have to replace them for whetever reason later down the track, he may get a bit scared at the price of replacing certain parts. im not trying to deter Tim from getting one with xenons, i just want to make him aware that the price of parts for xenons is much more expensive.

and as Mat said, they do last way longer than normal headlights..

bornwild
23rd May 2008, 11:24 AM
so get them??

hehehe well.....I probably will :p never really bothered looking it up as I don't drive much nights

oneightoo
23rd May 2008, 11:25 AM
hehehe well.....I probably will :p never really bothered looking it up as I don't drive much nights

gooooo on, you know you want to..

they arent expensive, and it's not like they're hard to install..

bornwild
23rd May 2008, 11:28 AM
gooooo on, you know you want to..

they arent expensive, and it's not like they're hard to install..

Is there anything I should be aware of though?? As in, what kit to get, what brandname etc. or are they all the same "made in china"??

rjastra
23rd May 2008, 12:39 PM
Have people tried Philips VisionPLus 80% (i think they are call ExtremeVision or something)

Any blue tinted bulbs will NOT work as well as the normal 50+% versions (Silverstar and Visionplus)

The lower the temp of the Xenon lights the better. The higher the K the further into the blue spectrum the light is and the WORSE it is for vision.... no matter what the lumens it pushes out. Its the reason the factory sets the temp they do :)

Wraith
23rd May 2008, 01:22 PM

I think this ones been answered, but I was referring to HID light spectrum ranges, not halogen globes... :)

No matter what kind of halogen globe you wish to get, it'll NEVER match a Xenon HID of the same light grade ;)

JR
23rd May 2008, 01:36 PM
The lower the temp of the Xenon lights the better. The higher the K the further into the blue spectrum the light is and the WORSE it is for vision.... no matter what the lumens it pushes out. Its the reason the factory sets the temp they do :)

+1

i used to have 6000k hids - downgraded them to 5000k and the difference is very noticeable - much more visibility. this is very noticeable in wet weather.

Have people tried Philips VisionPLus 80% (i think they are call ExtremeVision or something)
Any blue tinted bulbs will NOT work as well as the normal 50+% versions (Silverstar and Visionplus).

i've got the phillips xtreme (80% more light) globes in my foglights and they r very good too. better than the xenon look or blue-tint coated globes. i used to use them in my projectors before i got my xenon hids installed.
i'd recommend these to anyone, anytime, anyday.

Wraith
23rd May 2008, 01:38 PM
Found a kit for $150.00...don't know why anyone would option them as factory as they're usually around $2000 from factory.

http://cracker.com.au/melbourne-vic/parts-accessories/car-accessories-spare-parts/hid-xenon-h1-h3-h4-h7-kits-6000k/391850200/advert.htm?return=1

BW factory HID's are far more expensive, because they encorporate a specifically designed and made headlight assembly just for them, which has other features built into it, such as 'self levelling' mechanisms and the projectors and lenses themselves are specific to to suit a HID globe, not halogens, they also usually add headlight washer systems to the car, which also adds cost and then there's the usual factory rip off price typical of all OEM products !!!

When you buy these aftermarket kits we're talking about here, your not getting any of that, your just getting a pair of Xenon HID globes, a pair of coil ballasts and associated wiring - that's it...

What to look out for:

-Make sure they are the correct type, ie: a H7 HID for H7 halogen replacement etc.
If not, they won't be a direct fit/replacement and I've seen some people try and install wrong ones in, the result is an unsafe botch job - so make sure you get the 'right ones'...

-Light spectrum range, if you want maximum visibilty, go for 4,500 to max. 6000k range.
The 4,500-5000k will be best for pure bright white light...
Once you go to 7000k and above, they begin to enter into the ultraviolet range and you begin to get that now infamous blue-ish halo (which I love) which reduces the visible light and becomes noticeable on dark wet roads/surfaces that you've lost some light.
At about 9000k the blue-ish halo starts to become violet and at 12,000k they are almost purple, these are only good for show IMHO, on the road they are not very good at all...

-If you can - try and stick to a known or high quality brand, even if it costs a little more (I did and have had my set in my Calibra for 4 years with no problems thus far) if it's an obscure name you've never heard before, just look it up and see what they're about, some very good Asian electrical companies go by weird or never heard of names, but their products are quite good...

Hope that helps :)

btm
23rd May 2008, 01:44 PM
what foggies do you have JR? are they factory fitted?

JR
23rd May 2008, 04:31 PM
what foggies do you have JR? are they factory fitted?

its not a factory fit. i bought the astra switch panel, GM relay (holden) & Hella FF50 foglight kit (http://store.classicgarage.com/fffoglikit.html) and fitted them myself. Wiring was already there - just plug n play.

tim_
23rd May 2008, 11:19 PM
the price thing for replacement could be an issue, although it's not likely to blow a bulb, and the only other issue would be an accident? in which case it's all insurance.
at least i have time to sit and look at everything i want from a car, i've always thought xenons look really cool

dug74
24th May 2008, 01:00 AM
the price thing for replacement could be an issue, although it's not likely to blow a bulb, and the only other issue would be an accident? in which case it's all insurance.
at least i have time to sit and look at everything i want from a car, i've always thought xenons look really cool

I would agree..Xenons look good and also help with road visibility.

After owning my car for nearly 18 months and having factory HIDs...there is no way I would ever go back to halogen again.

http://www.mazspace.com/images/night_dug74_2.jpg

Happy Motoring
DUG74

OPC
24th May 2008, 01:03 AM
he is alive... hello Dug...

dug74
24th May 2008, 01:06 AM
he is alive... hello Dug...

Howdy

Yeah been a while between drinks.

With work, relationships and now admin/mod of Ozmazdaclub.com, so much to do so little time.

But I do drop in here at times to read.

I did notice a few members are selling off the opels and moving to higher spec euros (Audi, BMW etc).

I guess it doesnt help that holden have released the euro with korean.

Happy Motoring
DUG74

OPC
24th May 2008, 01:11 AM
Howdy

Yeah been a while between drinks.

I did notice a few members are selling off the opels and moving to higher spec euros (Audi, BMW etc).

I guess it doesnt help that holden have released the euro with korean.

Happy Motoring
DUG74

i dont mind... seeing we dont drive holdens or korean cars

saw a MPS at WSID the other day dug

i was talkin to him for a while

it was modded and stuff ya know chip, zorst, BOV

dug74
24th May 2008, 01:20 AM
i dont mind... seeing we dont drive holdens or korean cars

saw a MPS at WSID the other day dug

i was talkin to him for a while

it was modded and stuff ya know chip, zorst, BOV

Know all about that stuff.

A friend has flash tune, SRI, BOV, turbo back zorst, race clutch, eibach springs, rear engine mount and a few other things.

Its crazy... 206Kw atfw and 460Nm....wish it was AWD..so much power...yet it almost impossible to get traction on the road.

My car has a few minor mods, due to being garaged most of its life due to driver having no license :boohoo:

With fuel prices going up...makes me glad I not driving...yet the money I save on fuel is being spent on mods. :dance: So when I get my license back, it should be easier to lose it again. :D

Happy Motoring
DUG74