PDA

View Full Version : Holden's Astra plans

imay
13th July 2004, 08:32 AM
According to GoAuto, Holden's plans to sell the "old" and new Astra alongside each other.
Check out this link http://www.goauto.com.au for more information.
Could this mean that the "new" Astra is going to be considerably more expensive than the TS? Interesting.

Mr T
13th July 2004, 09:15 AM
What a @#$%up, that'll screw our resale :screwy:

RK
13th July 2004, 09:34 AM
yeah. the dealer told me this when my dad was buying one.
it shouldnt screw the resale, because our shape will be the 'current' shape in the future.

holden is going this to fill in all possible areas of the market. money wise.

Mr T
13th July 2004, 10:09 AM
My point was:
If you buy a cd for say $30,000 in 03
Then they sell cd's for say $27,000 in 04/05
Then soon you will own a 3 year old car thats worth 50% (or so) of $27,000 not $30,000. your depreciation will start from 27K instead of 30K, so we get rammed.
Holden has changed for the worse since Hanenburger left. :bang:

RK
13th July 2004, 10:27 AM
oh. gotcha.
yeah, that sucks.

imay
13th July 2004, 10:41 AM
Solution: Drive the bugger into the ground and make sure you get your $30K worth. Still gotta work out better than paying $18,990 for a Korean can and getting NOTHING back a few years down the track.
Anyway, name me a car company that really cares about their past or present customers anyway? They are only interested in future sales, and they rely heavily on brand-orientated customers. Once a Holden buyer, nearly always a Holden buyer. Same theory as voters: I vote Labor because my dad voted Labor.
There's only a few (like Smelly) that go over to the other side!

imad4u
13th July 2004, 09:08 PM
the current astra will say on as a *astra classic* from what ive heard its going to a be TS CD

Degen-Astra
13th July 2004, 09:18 PM
Seems like Holden may have learnt from their New Model Vectra mistake mostly in relation to pricing.

Seus
13th July 2004, 10:39 PM
Yeh, i have heard that too

maybe the astra will be at a much higher price point as degen said and they are being safe

Nem
14th July 2004, 02:19 PM
I've already seen them advertising the Holden Astra 'Classic'

woody
14th July 2004, 02:41 PM
I was told by Holden (Hunter Holden St Leonards) the the pricing for the new Astra H is considerably more than that of the existing models.

Comparitivly speaking the difference between the current range (astra G) and new range (astra h) on the vauxhall website is between $AU 8-12 depending on the model

Jass
14th July 2004, 03:07 PM
Damn that's heaps were gonna get bend over backwards when it comes to resale value of the astra T

Corsa
14th July 2004, 05:29 PM
Just think how much more it will cost to buy the new model Astra Turbo. The prices of our second hand ones could remain higher as people may rather consider buying a second hand one as opposed to the heaps more expensive new one. Before the Astra Turbo or Vectra CDXi 3.2V6 was realeased these were the two cars i was considering buying. Vectra was released first and was around $10K more than i predicted for the top of the range model yet the Astra came in pretty close to my guess so the decision on which car to buy came about pretty easily.
All cars will drop in value when a new model comes out so i don't think that anyone will lose out any more than what they were going to with the exception of those that buy the Astra Classic that will still be around.
Corsa

dug74
14th July 2004, 05:40 PM
The Astra *Classic* was released this week and next month they are releasing a *power pack* option for an extra $990 which includes full electrics and ABS.

The model released now is basically a city model...the *CD* model will be re-released next month as a Classic...as they are runnin out the CD model...i asked yesterday.

jch75
15th July 2004, 04:49 AM
In Sept 2003 Motor Magazine pg 12, the new Astra GSi is supposed to be 2.4ltr with 179kw doing 0-100 in a frag over six seconds. That is even more impressive than the RS32 Golf. Imagine an Astra wooping butt in the GTP Procar series. Only thing though, once again, front wheel drive is a let down.

Given the RS32 Golf is $60, I suppose an Astra (assuming it is decked out well inside) for $40 isn't too bad given the performance. That performance is even faster than the less tweaked V8s.

I have said it before, if they dropped the Astra name you wouldnt be complaining. Same as the VE Commodore - with a new car, they should dump the name. If you call something an Astra then you are naturally gonna think - less performance, cheaper quality but as long as the quality is there people will be happy to pay the $$$. But a name change would help push sales along. If you said, I bought Astra, people wouldn't be thinking you bought an arse kicker..............................we are gonna start to see Holden bits in, Opels, Alfas, Chevs ...............so on and vice versa so..................its only a name.

Corsa
15th July 2004, 11:20 PM
They were going to keep the name for the million dollar V8 Astra supercar. :)
Corsa

imay
17th July 2004, 09:03 AM
Astra Classic is the City equivalent 5-door hatch and 4 door sedan. Classic CD will be available in 4 door sedan only. Auto will still be an extra $2K.
BUT . . . take note, these Classic models are Polish built vehicles, not Belgium like yours and mine! Sounds to me like (as I mentioned in an earlier post) that GM/Holden/Opel are off-loading all their "old" stock on lil old Australia. How unusual, bet that's never happened before . . . excuse my sarcasm!
That would help explain why an Astra CD (with auto, air, ABS and electrics) would be about $6K LESS than I paid 18 months ago.
I should really listen to my own advice: Never look at the price of something AFTER you have bought one of them! You'll always see it cheaper somewhere else!

Jass
17th July 2004, 02:39 PM
I will never buy another Holden againt the have the worse customer service atleast the two dealerships i have dealt with!

dug74
19th July 2004, 11:34 AM
I will never buy another Holden againt the have the worse customer service atleast the two dealerships i have dealt with!

I agree and i only bought my new car 2 weeks ago...had to go to 3 dealers to get what i wanted and the right service.

rjastra
19th July 2004, 10:54 PM

I have owned Holdens, Fords, Nissans, Mazda, Peugeots. The rare people are those that stick to one brand.

Side note... checked out an Astra Turbo on sunday (New). They wanted full RRP for a MArch 2003 build car (its 16 months old!!). I just laughed and walked out.

SmellyTofu
20th July 2004, 08:12 AM

Here's a secret... I'm a Toyota man thru and thru since day dot but it's coz I work for another Japanese make (that is owned primarily by GM but doesn't have much to do with GM in terms of development) that I drive it everyday... and why wouldn't you when service etc cost aren't your's to pay. Now I see more +'s about Japanese cars every k I drive (which is a lot more than what I did in the Astra).

Yes, resale sux big time and no one really appreciates (in monetary terms) a good example anymore.

GM product again? No thanks. Once is enough.

Addition: Also with the crap that is built into the Corsa B, another no thanks no matter how cool an Opel engine cover is on the Corsa. Lucky that doesn't get drive around much.

journo
21st July 2004, 11:08 AM
I am somewhat late on this but yes Holden is going to sell the two types of Astra side by side and phase out (ie not import anymore) turbos or CDX models.

I am sure I saw someone on here say they work for Holden but nonetheless I have full access to the official media site for all makes in Australia, Holden's own media site (they are too high and mighty to be part of the officail media one) and Toyota's as well.

So feel free to hit me up to check any rumours etc against what is kept in the Media sections.

eg: That the barina was being downspec'd was in a media release (with PR spin naturally) about three months ago.

imay
21st July 2004, 11:25 AM
Smelly -- Don't take my comments too personally, I was just having a lend at your expense. Sorry, if any offence was taken.
Hey, if my employer gave me a Subaru to use at my will, I'm sure I'd quickly have my Astra up for sale as well. Good on you. Also, glad to see you still making appearances on this site. Your information and dedication to this club has only ever been of the highest quality. My personal thanks for your help in the past.
Ian.

SmellyTofu
21st July 2004, 12:14 PM
No offense taken at all and thanks for your kind comments.