PDA

View Full Version : colour coded number plate screws

USC
19th May 2008, 10:15 PM
Does anyone know where to get colour coded screws/caps/clips (not sure what they are) for number plates..like the ones you see on BMW`s etc. they match the white or the blue if the screw is on the characters.

ta.

USC
20th May 2008, 12:45 PM
anyone..BUMP. noone knows where to get those screw caps?

InsaneAsylum
20th May 2008, 12:55 PM
captain obvious says "have you tried asking BMW?"

Wraith
20th May 2008, 01:00 PM
Very good topic USC :)

This is something I've done to all my cars, whether they have personalised plates or not - ie: colour code the fixing screw heads :)

What I've always done is buy touch up paint, that matches the plate colour, very easy for white or black plates, bit harder for others, but I've managed to match all my colours up very well and just paint up the screw heads :)

On my vert on the rear plate, one of the fixing screws ends up half way onto one of the white characters, so I've carefully touched it up half white and half the plate colour, blends in very well :)

USC
20th May 2008, 02:00 PM
nice! i like the idea of paint but Ive seen plastic caps on bmw`s, volvos, audis...etc.
here is an example:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-of-NEW-Black-number-plate-screw-covers%2Fcaps_W0QQitemZ220236078144QQcmdZViewItem? IMSfp=TL0805181118a29949

they have them in white and blue also. but not in australia:(

Wraith
20th May 2008, 02:46 PM
nice! i like the idea of paint but Ive seen plastic caps on bmw`s, volvos, audis...etc.
here is an example:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-of-NEW-Black-number-plate-screw-covers%2Fcaps_W0QQitemZ220236078144QQcmdZViewItem? IMSfp=TL0805181118a29949

they have them in white and blue also. but not in australia:(

Those screws and caps are a good idea, but if you can't find them or can't get the right matching colour, then painting them up as I've done is the go :)

What I've also done is used screws with a smaller/neater head, so you end up with a neater end result, those cap covers are quite big and will stand out too much IMO, you could alternatively colour code those cap covers :)

USC
20th May 2008, 03:38 PM
hmm..where can I get nice looking security screws?:D in stainless steel finish..hmmmmm:D :D

tomburke7
20th May 2008, 05:40 PM
Does anyone know where to get colour coded screws/caps/clips (not sure what they are) for number plates..like the ones you see on BMW`s etc. they match the white or the blue if the screw is on the characters.

ta.

I just use paint.

USC
20th May 2008, 06:31 PM
doesnt paint peel off with time? specially on galvanised screws?

tomburke7
20th May 2008, 07:13 PM

I'll let you know in 5 years

USC
20th May 2008, 08:15 PM
I'll let you know in 5 years

i bet u it would chip in a couple of months. unless u used 2k and primer.

tomburke7
20th May 2008, 08:29 PM
i bet u it would chip in a couple of months. unless u used 2k and primer.

just plain paint, and its been there for over a year.
Still looks like new.

USC
20th May 2008, 08:44 PM
just plain paint, and its been there for over a year.
Still looks like new.

hmm..do u drive ur car much? country driving?

low astra
20th May 2008, 08:47 PM
mate cabnit makers use something like that in kitchens and the like, try a cabnit maker or maybe bunnings, i know they have something similar at bunnings,

tomburke7
20th May 2008, 08:58 PM
hmm..do u drive ur car much? country driving?

every day, city driving.

The screws are gal, so I thought that they would last for ever.

ROCCO
20th May 2008, 09:10 PM
Very good topic USC :)

On my vert on the rear plate, one of the fixing screws ends up half way onto one of the white characters, so I've carefully touched it up half white and half the plate colour, blends in very well :)

ARE YOU FARKING SERIOUS??? There screws....not like it a body kit or anything

USC
20th May 2008, 09:32 PM

LOL!:D it would make the car unique. why do the prestige brands do it?:p

Wraith
21st May 2008, 09:26 AM

No it wont :)

If you use 'auto' touch up paint or other car duco, it'll last...

In my case I've got plate covers on my cars, so wear n tear from the elements is minimal = last a long, long time :)

The screws I've done on my Astra as I mentioned earlier are around 4 years old now and still look like new ;)

Wraith
21st May 2008, 09:32 AM

Attention to detail my friend, it's all about attention to detail ;)

That's what makes the difference between ordinary and extraordinary with alot of things in life... :)

If you were to view a set of custom rego plates 'on a nice car' just 'slapped on' and then mine with colour coded screws and neat protective covers - which would you prefer or want to have for yourself ???

I think I know your answer :)

USC
21st May 2008, 11:17 AM
Attention to detail my friend, it's all about attention to detail ;)

That's what makes the difference between ordinary and extraordinary with alot of things in life... :)

If you were to view a set of custom rego plates 'on a nice car' just 'slapped on' and then mine with colour coded screws and neat protective covers - which would you prefer or want to have for yourself ???

I think I know your answer :)

+1:)