PDA

View Full Version : Audi A3 TDI Clubsport Quattro concept

dieselhead
18th May 2008, 09:51 PM
Now that's an oiler I'd love to own. Who needs a thirsty 2.0 petrol Turbo when you can have that? :)
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/05/01audi_a3_cs_quattro.jpg

Engine
- Four-cylinder TDI with common-rail injection system
- Displacement of 1968 cc, output of 165 kW (224 hp) and torque of 450 Nm (331.90 lb-ft)
- Optimized exhaust system, sonorous soundtrack
- 0 – 100 km/h (62.14 mph) in 6.6 seconds, top speed 240 km/h (149.13 mph)

Power transmission
- High-efficiency six-speed manual transmission with a lightweight casing, open gear lever gate made of aluminum
- quattro all-wheel drive with extremely fast-action multi-plate clutch

Source: autoblog.com (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/16/audi-a3-tdi-clubsport-quattro-concept/)

USC
18th May 2008, 10:15 PM
I want that car!! 450NM of torque!!!:eek:

sooty
18th May 2008, 10:18 PM
:drool:
lol....love the grilles they put on all the concept TDi's...
with those figures...i'd drive an oiler for life...no question...:cool:

bornwild
18th May 2008, 10:21 PM
Nice figures. Funnily enough that engine and the Golf 2.0TDi are exactly the same except the turbo is different and obviously the mapping is quite different. :)

Ice
18th May 2008, 10:42 PM
yeh ide have one.....

but Audi will never go so aggressive on their styling !

EL BURITO
18th May 2008, 11:06 PM
and the fuel economy would be..........

JohnBu
19th May 2008, 09:31 AM
i'll take a worked petrol S3 thank you very much.

Wraith
19th May 2008, 11:27 AM
Now that's more like it in terms of styling, compared to the plain boring flat rectangle box look of the A3 up until now :)

But FFS why do thay have to keep putting crappy grahics all over some of these new concepts these days, IMO that's such a stupid look or thing to do :rolleyes:

I'm still not sold on the oiler variant though, I will be once the 2.0ltr displacement oiler turbo engines start producing around or over 200kw !!!

Regardless of torque the performance is still way behind the petrol turbos as has been mentioned so many times, so that extra torque from oilers dosn't float my boat...it just gives you the seat of the pants sensation your going quick, but your not going as quick as you might think ;)

I'm with John, I'll take a tuned petrol turbo example :)

Ice
19th May 2008, 12:19 PM
dont BMW claim that their Diesels are just as quick as their Petrol variants.

shouldnt Audi be right up their with them ?

USC
19th May 2008, 12:49 PM
Now that's more like it in terms of styling, compared to the plain boring flat rectangle box look of the A3 up until now :)

But FFS why do thay have to keep putting crappy grahics all over some of these new concepts these days, IMO that's such a stupid look or thing to do :rolleyes:

I'm still not sold on the oiler variant though, I will be once the 2.0ltr displacement oiler turbo engines start producing around or over 200kw !!!

Regardless of torque the performance is still way behind the petrol turbos as has been mentioned so many times, so that extra torque from oilers dosn't float my boat...it just gives you the seat of the pants sensation your going quick, but your not going as quick as you might think ;)

I'm with John, I'll take a tuned petrol turbo example :)

less risk of getting speeding fines with the same sensation...;)

SSS_Hoon
19th May 2008, 12:50 PM
another for the turbo petrol engine here.

also get rid of the damm artwork on it would ya audi grrrr.

SSS_Hoon

bornwild
19th May 2008, 12:51 PM
Check this video out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7maXP3ShXs
Though, in this video they're comparing the 3.0l diesel to the 4.5l V8 that they put in the 5-series so not quite a fair comparison. Also, Stig driving the petrol and Jeremy the diesel so yeah...

There's also a test of the 335d coupe on world car fans.

Conclusion:
Cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and quicker.

Wraith
19th May 2008, 01:17 PM
less risk of getting speeding fines with the same sensation...;)

That's a good point - oilers are more licence friendly :)

Ice
19th May 2008, 05:02 PM
Check this video out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7maXP3ShXs
Though, in this video they're comparing the 3.0l diesel to the 4.5l V8 that they put in the 5-series so not quite a fair comparison. Also, Stig driving the petrol and Jeremy the diesel so yeah...

There's also a test of the 335d coupe on world car fans.

Conclusion:
Cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and quicker.

i actually watched that episode while i was over there but its hardly fair is it, the Stig Vs Jeremy and then a BMW V8 Vs the inline 6

dieselhead
19th May 2008, 07:45 PM
Yes, a petrol version would be faster off the line, but once you get moving on a windy mountain road the torque does the job, not power. How on earth do you reach maximum power in a petrol, at 6,000 rpm+, when hairpins succeed say every 200m? Think about how much torque they get out of a WRC engine. Why is it so?
Now, I'm not saying "Diesel uber all" here, but I will say that unless you've driven a 140kW/400Nm/1,400kg hatch through the hills, stop judging one way or another. :)
Diesel is more than economy nowadays. It is an alternative, even for very high performance cars.

sooty
19th May 2008, 08:27 PM
but I will say that unless you've driven a 140kW/400Nm/1,400kg hatch through the hills, stop judging one way or another. :)

I guess that means i can judge lol :p
But lets not go into that whole petrol vs diesel rubbish again like every single time there's a diesel car mentioned.
how about we judge it as a seperate entity :)

dieselhead
19th May 2008, 08:39 PM
I was hoping the vs rubbish won't start yet again... All I wanted to say was "look, Audi has a seriously fast Diesel hatch concept"!

sooty
19th May 2008, 08:46 PM
I was hoping the vs rubbish won't start yet again... All I wanted to say was "look, Audi has a seriously fast Diesel hatch concept"!

and i agree...if it looked like that (minus the decals) and was as quick as they state, and i had a bit more dosh, it would be something i would DEFINITELY look at over the CDTi...it's like the next step up the market...
What i really want to hear is this "Sonorous Exhaust" sound... as the only oilers i've heard with a zorst are off the net, and sorta end up sounding like wrxs lol...

Just to add....Best new Engine at some engine awards that i can't remember the name of..the twin turbo 2ltr BMW Diesel ;)

Wraith
20th May 2008, 04:31 PM
Now, I'm not saying "Diesel uber all" here, but I will say that unless you've driven a 140kW/400Nm/1,400kg hatch through the hills, stop judging one way or another. :)

Ahem....and vice versa, have you ever driven a high power petrol turbo in the enviroment you mention above ???

If so, you would have your own question answered ! ;)

No I'm not trying to bring up the diesel vs petrol debate again either, but I've had and driven many a type of car, (far beyond what you mention above) including your beloved Astra oiler and sorry as I've said numerous times, it didn't float my boat...if it does for you - great, you don't have to get your jewels in a knot every time someone else states it's not their cup of tea, some of us arn't stupid and we can make our own judgements and choices, regardless of what other people like or prefer or try and make you believe ;)

Don't get me wrong, I too will probably someday purchase a turbo diesel, but as yet, there's nothing that I'd consider in that market, ie: the more affordable ones on offer :)

sooty
20th May 2008, 04:33 PM
Ahem....and vice versa, have you ever driven a high power petrol turbo in the enviroment you mention above ???

If so, you would have your own question answered ! ;)

No I'm not trying to bring up the diesel vs petrol debate again either, but I've had and driven many a type of car, (far beyond what you mention above) including your beloved Astra oiler and sorry as I've said numerous times, it didn't float my boat...if it does for you - great, you don't have to get your jewels in a knot every time someone else states it's not their cup of tea, some of us arn't stupid and we can make our own judgements and choices, regardless of what other people like or prefer or try and make you believe ;)

you'll have to come for a spin next time we catch up Ange, the greenbox makes a world of difference...see if i can't convert you...even a little ;)

Wraith
20th May 2008, 04:46 PM
you'll have to come for a spin next time we catch up Ange, the greenbox makes a world of difference...see if i can't convert you...even a little ;)

Thanks D145, the one I test drove was a manual and stock standard :)

However, I havn't experienced a re-mapped or 'green boxed' example, so your offer is welcome :)

Truth is, I would very much like to have a turbo diesel as an everyday ride, just waiting for them to improve in technology to the point where the stroke cycle is capable of supporting higher revs and therefore more kw, that'll make them truly awesome ;)

Only downer is the price of diesel seems to be on the up and up, hopefully it won't get to the point where it takes away the efficiency and fuel cost savings of it all...

bornwild
20th May 2008, 06:44 PM
Diesels and petrols are for different people.

Diesel accelerates you with relentless effort at all revs. It's not as exciting as petrol.

Petrol is all show, diesel is all go. Simple as that. :)

And the entire point of a diesel is small displacement moving big cars. You won't find a petrol engine that can do that yet maintain same levels of efficiency, I guarantee you.