PDA

View Full Version : BMW 1 series convertible

USC
16th May 2008, 10:21 AM
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=52525&s_rid=theage:ClassiePuff

What do you think?

better than the twin top or not?

Ice
16th May 2008, 10:24 AM
nah doesnt do it for me....... 135i coupe anyday.

btm
16th May 2008, 10:24 AM
looks a little strange in my opinion... BMW verts are meant to be bigger (except for the roadster)

tim_
16th May 2008, 10:25 AM
I'd say different. I like the astra for the folding hard top. However, it is a BMW, and the ending is more powerful and more fuel efficient, probably in part to the fact the car would be a lot lighter. I'd have to see one in the flesh, it could be a bit of a poof car haha

Wraith
16th May 2008, 10:38 AM
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=52525&s_rid=theage:ClassiePuff

What do you think?

It obviously has many points about it that are better than the AH twin top :)

But one thing that goes against it IMHO is the use of a soft rather than a hard top...

I love soft tops myself, but it seems these days every new model vert, whether small or large is equipped with a folding metal roof, which seems to be what the 'masses' want in a modern convertible.

I believe this and obviously pricing will affect how successful or not it will be...

SSS_Hoon
16th May 2008, 10:49 AM
i prefer the EOS myself.

Never been a real big fan of Break My Windows all that much.

SSS_Hoon

EL BURITO
16th May 2008, 10:54 AM
its new A3 cabriolet (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=46244) would undercut the Volkswagen Eos (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=42762) convertible by $90. It is the first time an Audi model range has had a lower starting price than a Volkswagen.

BMW argues that the new 1-Series, priced from $52,900 with standard leather, is also line-ball with an Eos for value. The Eos with optional leather upholstery starts from $53,280.

BUT WHAT IS STANDARD AND WHAT IS A YOU MUST HAVE OPTION

EL BURITO
16th May 2008, 10:56 AM
BUT WHAT IS STANDARD AND WHAT IS A YOU MUST HAVE OPTION

auto is a $2600 on the 120i

there u go
that is were there getting there money back from

imay
16th May 2008, 11:06 AM
LOVE IT! Have been lucky enough to score an invite to the 1 Series Coupe/Convertible/Sport Hatch launch in Adelaide in a couple of weeks time (I'll report back when I've seen it/them first hand!).

Only problems I have is the scary price (once you add a few options) and the scarier prices for BMW service/parts!!!

Wraith
16th May 2008, 11:12 AM
i prefer the EOS myself.

Never been a real big fan of Break My Windows all that much.

SSS_Hoon

mmmm, now that I think of it, I too would kinda go with an Eos over this Beemer vert...I do very much like the coupe model 1 series though.

Prefer it O/A and I have no doubt saying the VW would have the far better build quality....

Only the top model IL6 TT would have it over the Eos in terms of performance, but then it's price as Ian alluded to would be scary and being a vert over the top performance is really not what they're about anyways - reasonable performance will do with a vert as their cruisers, not bruisers :)

USC
16th May 2008, 03:56 PM
Prefer it O/A and I have no doubt saying the VW would have the far better build quality....
:)

I seriously doubt that this statement is true.

tim_
16th May 2008, 04:10 PM
The fact that the link is Classie Puff might sum it up? haha

bornwild
16th May 2008, 04:40 PM
I seriously doubt that this statement is true.

What? That VW has better built quality than BMW?? That's been known for the last 2-3yrs. I mean...just look at some of the Audi models, quality is second to none.

USC
16th May 2008, 05:24 PM
What? That VW has better built quality than BMW?? That's been known for the last 2-3yrs. I mean...just look at some of the Audi models, quality is second to none.

Audi yes...VW..Im not so sure...probably.

xplosv57
16th May 2008, 07:08 PM

I would say they are lineball, both have very high build quality, not sure why people are saying one is so much better than the other in quality stakes, they are both from 2 very well respected companies in Europe!!!

Feel free to post proof though, i'd like to know why either is so bad??

This is news to me that there is a 4 cylinder variant of the 1 Series Convertible, from what i knew there were only going to be two 6 cylinders, so much for BMW cutting down their model variants!!!

rjastra
17th May 2008, 02:09 PM
Of course there is the A3 Convertible on sale as well. Softtop like the 120/125i. I think the roof raises/lowers in 9 seconds!

Wraith
18th May 2008, 02:29 PM
I would say they are lineball, both have very high build quality, not sure why people are saying one is so much better than the other in quality stakes, they are both from 2 very well respected companies in Europe!!!

Feel free to post proof though, i'd like to know why either is so bad??

I don't have any proof, nor saying either is so bad - just my observations of looking at various models of the 2 types...I believe the modern VW is built as well as the Audi, the latest pics I've seen of their factories are line ball with their 'taken over' Audi factories...and I've ALWAYS even from decades ago regarded Audis as having the best build quality of any mass produced car type...again just from getting up close to them and making observations...

As for the Beemers, I've noticed a drop in build/finish quality lately, things like cheaper looking and feeling plastics, 'orange peel' paint finishes, rattles and squeaks etc. - must be the the ones produced in Seth Efrica :D...

The current model 320i I've got a hold of ATM is nothing special in any way at all, nothing about it shines IMHO, I'd rather have a Corolla than this POS...or of course one of the new M3's :D at least it's got some great looks and performance behind it :)

Where will this new 1 series be built ??? in Bavaria or outside of Germany ???

USC
18th May 2008, 08:07 PM
The shape of the current 320i is very sexy though...how can u take a corolla over this?:rolleyes:

xplosv57
19th May 2008, 10:54 AM
As for the Beemers, I've noticed a drop in build/finish quality lately, things like cheaper looking and feeling plastics, 'orange peel' paint finishes, rattles and squeaks etc. - must be the the ones produced in Seth Efrica :D...

The current model 320i I've got a hold of ATM is nothing special in any way at all, nothing about it shines IMHO, I'd rather have a Corolla than this POS...or of course one of the new M3's :D at least it's got some great looks and performance behind it :)

Where will this new 1 series be built ??? in Bavaria or outside of Germany ???

Have to agree with the rattle and squeak parts on the early E90's but updates have fixed those issues!!! Orange peel should be dealt with at the dealer, i'm suprised some have got through if it's a large amount of it!!!

On the whole though, the cars are built to a very high standard and would definetely match it to Audi, VW and the like!!!

I also would take a Corolla over a 320i, based on performance and cost and it doesn't look or feel special for a 60k car!! But something to consider is that this is the base model 3 series, and if not for the luxury/import taxes, would be priced somewhat closer (not the same of course) to a Corolla like it is in Europe!!

The 1 series is being built in the Leipzig plant, and i just happen to have a video of it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP5gdHQALP4

Wraith
19th May 2008, 11:17 AM
The shape of the current 320i is very sexy though...how can u take a corolla over this?:rolleyes:

That's a very good point and probably one of the main reasons for my judgement on the car......

For the way it looks, it dosn't drive or feel or give any sensation or excitment of matching it...truly a case of don't judge a book by it's cover, as this car looks ok, but does little else to excite or impress !!! I can honestly say I enjoy driving my Calibra more than the 320i and have a new model Corolla from a friend I also drive often and prefer it too, because it delivers a driving experience equal or better to what you'd expect from it :)

if all your looking at or considering is it's looks, how can you possibly be making any comparisons or judgements to any other cars ???

Then you could also factor in the price of the Beemer not only to buy it in the 1st place but to continue running and maintaining it as Steve's mentioned above and it starts to really make it look mediocre indeed ;) hope that makes some sense :)

Good to see the 1 series is going to be built in Germany :)

bornwild
19th May 2008, 11:49 AM
You're gonna have to admit Wraith, considering it is a base model 320i it handles and performs like no other base model middle-sized saloon.

Also, the prices are way overpriced in AU. If we had it like in EU or USA it would be around $40k driveaway in AU.

xplosv57
19th May 2008, 12:00 PM
You're gonna have to admit Wraith, considering it is a base model 320i it handles and performs like no other base model middle-sized saloon.

Also, the prices are way overpriced in AU. If we had it like in EU or USA it would be around $40k driveaway in AU.

I'm speaking for myself, having driven a 4 pot many a time, the 320i has to be one of the slowest base model sedans, combination of lack of power and too much weight, handling sure it's great but lack of performance is disappointing!!!

That all changes once there's a 4cyl diesel or a 6cyl (or better yet the TT 6) under the bonnet!!!

Actually in the US, the 3 series (which their base model is the 328i 3.0 6cyl) starts from 32k, considering our dollar is almost on par with them, we're still paying over double for the same car!!!! Disgraceful!!!

USC
19th May 2008, 12:45 PM
the government is ripping us off!! :p

in a way, its good..cos we would have way too many cars on our roads..bear in mind, australia is big but most of it is desert...

Calibrated
19th May 2008, 01:24 PM
i'd have one. if i could afford it :( the 135i ... :D

Wraith
19th May 2008, 01:24 PM

It does feel solid, but I don't get the feeling it's anything outstanding...

I don't think I've driven a 'newish' similar sized car to compare it too...

As for prices - far out, we get ripped in Australia on any make that comes from O/S especially the Euro brands...

Wraith
19th May 2008, 01:28 PM
I'm speaking for myself, having driven a 4 pot many a time, the 320i has to be one of the slowest base model sedans, combination of lack of power and too much weight, handling sure it's great but lack of performance is disappointing!!!

That all changes once there's a 4cyl diesel or a 6cyl (or better yet the TT 6) under the bonnet!!!

Actually in the US, the 3 series (which their base model is the 328i 3.0 6cyl) starts from 32k, considering our dollar is almost on par with them, we're still paying over double for the same car!!!! Disgraceful!!!

Too right you are Steve - I don't know however if the strong Aussie dollar will translate to savings on car purchases ??? 'Middle men' car sellers (stealerships) and the Government will most probably take advantage of the bigger profits margins to be had :mad:

It has had an effect on general electrical appliances though...

From Todays Age:

Aussie dollar hits 24-year high

Chris Zappone
May 19, 2008 - 12:02PM
Page 1 of 2
Australians travelling abroad can rejoice: the Aussie dollar hit a 24-year high this morning.

The rising Aussie has doubled in value against the US dollar in seven years, consistently defying expectations of a levelling off.

The gain is also a boon for retailers, who source much of their goods from overseas, but bad news for those businesses competing with imports, such as the local car industry.

In late morning trading, the Australian dollar was at 95.35 US cents, after earlier touching 95.71 US cents, or up more than one cent from Friday's close of 94.34 US cents.

That peak was the highest since March 20, 1984, when the domestic unit reached 95.73 US cents.

"If you're planning to go overseas, now is the time do it,'' said Amy Auster, head of international economics at ANZ.

Even those just pencilling in a trip abroad can take advantage of the strong Aussie dollar, she said.

''If you're planning to buy foreign currency, buy it now,'' she said.

bornwild
19th May 2008, 05:18 PM

It sounds like you haven't driven one. I haven't either!

The 320i weighs 1360kg and that 2.0l unit is one of the best 2.0l 4cyl you'll find around 115kW plus 200Nm from low down in the range. In theory it should be quite a gun compared to my Astra(1390kg, 92kW and 172Nm).

Also, reading reviews leaves nothing but praise for it's performance and handling. :)

bornwild
19th May 2008, 05:19 PM
It does feel solid, but I don't get the feeling it's anything outstanding...

It wasn't designed to be anything outlandish :) Peoples perception of BMW in AU is every single model is lavish luxury...no.

BMWs can be point A to B cars also :)

USC
19th May 2008, 07:05 PM
It wasn't designed to be anything outlandish :) Peoples perception of BMW in AU is every single model is lavish luxury...no.

BMWs can be point A to B cars also :)

+1

USC
19th May 2008, 07:06 PM

The 320i weighs 1360kg and that 2.0l unit is one of the best 2.0l 4cyl you'll find around 115kW plus 200Nm from low down in the range. In theory it should be quite a gun compared to my Astra(1390kg, 92kW and 172Nm).

Also, reading reviews leaves nothing but praise for it's performance and handling. :)

+1

xplosv57
19th May 2008, 09:16 PM

I have driven many E90 320i's and do drive them on a regular basis, and as you have admitted, you haven't driven one!!!

From my own experiences with them, they are terribly sluggish compared to other 4 cylinders i've driven, mind you the manual isn't so bad, more the auto version!! Have only driven a manual 1.8 AH once so couldn't compare it to yours!!!

Handling and braking are much better than other though, and as said before, same package with a 6 cylinder is much better!!!

Also the same 4 cylinder in a smaller 1 series is better too!!!

MatsHolden
19th May 2008, 09:27 PM
It sounds like you haven't driven one.

LOL

bornwild
19th May 2008, 09:39 PM
I have driven many E90 320i's and do drive them on a regular basis, and as you have admitted, you haven't driven one!!!

From my own experiences with them, they are terribly sluggish compared to other 4 cylinders i've driven, mind you the manual isn't so bad, more the auto version!! Have only driven a manual 1.8 AH once so couldn't compare it to yours!!!

Handling and braking are much better than other though, and as said before, same package with a 6 cylinder is much better!!!

Fair enough, each to their own. It's probably just your perception then, I can't find a single review that says they're sluggish. :)

LOL

He did sound like it...

USC
19th May 2008, 09:57 PM

and you think an auto corolla is much better? LOL.

bornwild
19th May 2008, 10:01 PM

That's the funny bit...lol

Back on topic!
I don't like the soft top 1 series....the coupe version is sexy as hell though :D

xplosv57
20th May 2008, 10:39 AM

Just based on performance, yes!!! Power to weight!!!

Best bet is to make your own assumption and drive both before laughing at someone else's opinion!!! ;)

Anyways, for those interested, the 1 series Coupe/Convertible launch is tonight at some dealers in Melbourne, so best chance to go have a closer look at these hot new cars!!! :D

Maybe even organise a drive of the 135i!!! :dance:

MatsHolden
20th May 2008, 10:47 AM

Best bet is to make your own assumption and drive both before laughing at someone else's opinion!!! ;)

Anyways, for those interested, the 1 series Coupe/Convertible launch is tonight at some dealers in Melbourne, so best chance to go have a closer look at these hot new cars!!! :D

Maybe even organise a drive of the 135i!!! :dance:

Where's my invite Steve?

xplosv57
20th May 2008, 10:49 AM
Where's my invite Steve?

Go if you want, i'm not going, i'm on holidays remember!!! :D

USC
20th May 2008, 10:49 AM

BMW is rear wheel drive. how about the corolla levin (that would weigh as much as the beemer)?

MatsHolden
20th May 2008, 10:54 AM
BMW is rear wheel drive. how about the corolla levin (that would weigh as much as the beemer)?

Heaviest Corolla is 1280kg.

xplosv57
20th May 2008, 10:54 AM

Originally we were talking about base model cars, so no i wouldn't compare the Levin with the 320i!!!!

But if you want, you can go drive the Levin and the 320i and compare them if you wish!!!

Calibrated
20th May 2008, 11:02 AM
Originally we were talking about base model cars, so no i wouldn't compare the Levin with the 320i!!!!

But if you want, you can go drive the Levin and the 320i and compare them if you wish!!!
i know which one i would take ;)

bmw any day

Apex
20th May 2008, 11:23 AM
LOVE IT! Have been lucky enough to score an invite to the 1 Series Coupe/Convertible/Sport Hatch launch in Adelaide in a couple of weeks time (I'll report back when I've seen it/them first hand!).

Only problems I have is the scary price (once you add a few options) and the scarier prices for BMW service/parts!!!

As am I, hence why my Astra is going to be sold very shortly ;)

Corolla Levin is RWD

And about 900kg

USC
20th May 2008, 11:24 AM
i know which one i would take ;)

bmw any day

+ 1

same here. I think some people here must be on some nasty shit..lol..what r u sniffing xplosv?? I want some:D . I hope it wont make me buy a corolla over a bmw though.:eek:

USC
20th May 2008, 11:25 AM
As am I, hence why my Astra is going to be sold very shortly ;)

Corolla Levin is RWD
http://www.drifting.es/fotos/coches/toyota/corolla/toyota-corolla-levin.jpg
www.drifting.es

And about 900kg

levin is rear wheel drive??? and 900kg??? where do u pull this info from?:D

MatsHolden
20th May 2008, 11:27 AM
I'd never get a base model BMW just to say oh I have a BMW. For instance, If I wasn't able to afford a 135i Coupe, I wouldn't even give the 1 series a look in.

USC
20th May 2008, 11:31 AM
I'd never get a base model BMW just to say oh I have a BMW. For instance, If I wasn't able to afford a 135i Coupe, I wouldn't even give the 1 series a look in.

dude, how many times do we need to tell you that BMW is NOT necessarily luxury!!! damn it! im getting really pissed off now.

i would buy the 320i anyday over the corolla...good robust bmw engine & transmission and rear wheel drive.

xplosv57
20th May 2008, 11:33 AM
+ 1

same here. I think some people here must be on some nasty shit..lol..what r u sniffing xplosv?? I want some:D . I hope it wont make me buy a corolla over a bmw though.:eek:

Yeah mate real mature, like i've said before, i have my opinion, you have yours!!!

I love my BMW's, i'm just saying the base model is underpowered for the weight that it is!!!

If you still have an issue, feel free to PM me, lets keep this on topic!!!

So TTEETT, are you gonna purchase a new 1 series???

MatsHolden
20th May 2008, 11:37 AM
dude, how many times do we need to tell you that BMW is NOT necessarily luxury!!! damn it! im getting really pissed off now.

Umm... that was my point. They aren't neccessarily luxury. They're nice cars but I wouldn't buy a base model 1 Series over something like an Astra Sri-T or VW GTi.

USC
20th May 2008, 11:43 AM
matsholden: i agree that a base model series 1 would be crap...so yeh....ive seen it on wellington road and it looks like a dwaf. an sri-t would be nicer to drive than a base model series 1 but certainly not better built.

Xplosv, i dont have an issue with you preferring a corolla over a bmw.:rolleyes:

Apex
20th May 2008, 12:19 PM
levin is rear wheel drive??? and 900kg??? where do u pull this info from?:D

Just realised you crazy Ausi’s have a poxy fwd Levin that is just a Corolla. I was thinking JDM, In Japan the Toyota Corolla Levin is a sports car.. Does anyone know what a AE86 is?? Kinda blasphemy that Toyota AU even named a normal corolla a Levin.

You obviously haven’t driven a new BMW?? I stepped back into the AH after driving a few BMW’s on the weekend and it felt very, very low rent. I think of the 1-serries as a premium compact for people that want a nicely built and specked compact car that is RWD.

PS: And it had Cup holders!!

MatsHolden
20th May 2008, 12:28 PM
You obviously haven’t driven a new BMW?? I stepped back into the AH after driving a few BMW’s on the weekend and it felt very, very low rent. I think of the 1-serries as a premium compact for people that want a nicely built and specked compact car that is RWD.

PS: And it had Cup holders!!

I'm talking about overall package. Get into a base 1 series for 38k+orc for a 100kw engine. The BM's feel a bit nicer, even if the 1 series is a little bland on the interior stakes. But for me RWD doesn't really do much with 100kw. They're a nice drive, but not a fun drive. And yeah, cup holders is a major plus. lol

Dee
20th May 2008, 12:35 PM
Just realised you crazy Ausi’s have a poxy fwd Levin that is just a Corolla. I was thinking JDM, In Japan the Toyota Corolla Levin is a sports car.. Does anyone know what a AE86 is?? Kinda blasphemy that Toyota AU even named a normal corolla a Levin.

even more blasphemous that it is the "top of the range" in the new corolla range :(

MatsHolden
20th May 2008, 12:52 PM
By the way the 135i Coupe looks great in Cashmere Silver.
http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/uploads/135i-4.jpg

bornwild
20th May 2008, 01:02 PM
Heaviest Corolla is 1280kg.

Actually 1310kg. :)

And corolla accelerates in 11.1s to 100 whereas the BMW accelerates in 9.0s. :) Talkin 320i here. And putting corolla and bmw in the same sentence is just ludicrous!!! :D

Anyhow, yeah that coupe looks awesome in any color, I like the red :D

Apex
20th May 2008, 01:15 PM
I'm talking about overall package. Get into a base 1 series for 38k+orc for a 100kw engine. The BM's feel a bit nicer, even if the 1 series is a little bland on the interior stakes. But for me RWD doesn't really do much with 100kw. They're a nice drive, but not a fun drive. And yeah, cup holders is a major plus. lol

I sat in the base model I series on the weekend (118d) and it feels a lot more premium than the AH/Corolla/3/Focus, it didn’t have leather or a trip computer or climate control but it still felt so much better, driving position alone puts it ahead.

An lesser spec RWD drive car with balance can be more fun than an over powered FWD, trust me.

Wraith
20th May 2008, 01:22 PM

I agree with the above and would myself only be interested in certain upper model Beemers if I ever were to purchase one for myself...I only have ever really liked the M3 and now this new 135i coupe or the future M1 I find appealing :)

I've always considered the base models to be 'Claytons' BMW's - you know - the BMW you buy when you can't afford to buy a BMW...sounds nasty, BUT I could point out sooooo many people I've known in my time who've got one, just so that they can say "I drive a BMW" how sad, brand snobs or should it be ignorance at its best :rolleyes:

However I don't base the above for my review of the current 320i, it really is IMHO a totally bland and unimpressive car for a shit load of money = why would anyone want one ??? that money could be better spent on so many other types of cars out there ;)

It is for all those wondering my missus's company car, which she'll be getting rid of soon for a salary hike - good on her :D

MatsHolden
20th May 2008, 01:22 PM

And corolla accelerates in 11.1s to 100 whereas the BMW accelerates in 9.0s. :) Talkin 320i here. And putting corolla and bmw in the same sentence is just ludicrous!!! :D

1280kg heaviest going from Toyota's official specs but meh. lol

bornwild
20th May 2008, 01:26 PM
BMW 1-series base price in Germany = €16.925,00

AH Astra base price in Germany = €22.100,00

Price difference of 5175 euros or AU$8430

What's the base price difference in AU?

I think the BMW is worth $8000 more than the base Astra...

EDIT: Just looked it up the 118i sells for $38900 plus ORC WTF??!?!?!.....$16000 difference compared to the Astra....shiiiiiiit.

Wraith
20th May 2008, 01:29 PM

All valid points BW - BUT don't forget to factor in the price on this equation...

I have access to both cars in question, as I've mentioned, taking them for what they are and what they offer vs what they cost, you wouldn't be looking at the 320i in such a bright light, I can tell you ;)

As for the main focus here, the 135i, it is as I think we all agree a very appealing car, in most respects :)

bornwild
20th May 2008, 01:33 PM
Oh yeah Ange I agree mate. I wouldn't buy a base model BMW in Australia either....too overpriced. But if I were overseas in Europe I would get the BMW. You get your value. For a couple of grand more you'll have a nicer car and servicing costs will be on par with even Opel. :)

I do like the 135i but I honestly wouldn't get one....I'd much rather get the 335i...I like its looks more and it's just a bigger cruiser :)...Similar performance but. :)

MatsHolden
20th May 2008, 01:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFCB2GvKrVc&feature=related

bornwild
20th May 2008, 01:36 PM

Sweet!

Wraith
20th May 2008, 01:41 PM
Oh yeah Ange I agree mate. I wouldn't buy a base model BMW in Australia either....too overpriced. But if I were overseas in Europe I would get the BMW. You get your value. For a couple of grand more you'll have a nicer car and servicing costs will be on par with even Opel. :)

I do like the 135i but I honestly wouldn't get one....I'd much rather get the 335i...I like its looks more and it's just a bigger cruiser :)...Similar performance but. :)

I would have to agree and it's been brought up before and it's what makes some of these cars not so appealing - the rip off price tag they cop being sold in this country, not good :(

Agree, for the price you'd get a base model Beemer in Germany, the whole arguement/comparison takes a different turn...

Agree also about the 335i, I'm beginning to really love that car, it is much sexier than the 135i, but that 135i with the same powerplant and running gear, for so much less money is hard to pass by comparing the 2 :)

rjastra
20th May 2008, 01:43 PM
Agree also about the 335i, I'm beginning to really love that car, it is much sexier than the 135i, but that 135i with the same powerplant and running gear, for so much less money is hard to pass by comparing the 2 :)

The biggest bargain is the 125i... you get a well optioned 3L 6 for the price of povo spec 320i sedan.

Wraith
20th May 2008, 01:46 PM

Oh yeh, that's a given - RWD with all that power on a wet surface = drift king :) or lose control :(

Definitely have to be careful with RWD in the wet ;)

xplosv57
21st May 2008, 09:22 AM
I've always considered the base models to be 'Claytons' BMW's - you know - the BMW you buy when you can't afford to buy a BMW...sounds nasty, BUT I could point out sooooo many people I've known in my time who've got one, just so that they can say "I drive a BMW" how sad, brand snobs or should it be ignorance at its best :rolleyes:

However I don't base the above for my review of the current 320i, it really is IMHO a totally bland and unimpressive car for a shit load of money = why would anyone want one ??? that money could be better spent on so many other types of cars out there ;)

It is for all those wondering my missus's company car, which she'll be getting rid of soon for a salary hike - good on her :D

All valid points BW - BUT don't forget to factor in the price on this equation...

I have access to both cars in question, as I've mentioned, taking them for what they are and what they offer vs what they cost, you wouldn't be looking at the 320i in such a bright light, I can tell you ;)

Thankyou Ange, that's what i was trying to say lol!!!

Will find out how the 1 Series Coupe/Convertible launch went last night and how the reaction is!!!

I'll most likely take one out for a drive next week and let you all know how they are!!! 135i especially!!! :D

USC
21st May 2008, 11:18 AM
have u seen the add on TV for the 1 series? pretty cool...it shows how the car is built (in a partially realistic way:D )

Wraith
21st May 2008, 11:54 AM
Thankyou Ange, that's what i was trying to say lol!!!

Will find out how the 1 Series Coupe/Convertible launch went last night and how the reaction is!!!

I'll most likely take one out for a drive next week and let you all know how they are!!! 135i especially!!! :D

Look forward to your assessment Steve of the TT 135i :)

Alot of us really like this new Beemer and it's within buying reach too....

The only other car I can think of to compare it to, is the Evo 10, although they're not exactly the same configuration, it would be a hard choice between the 2...

Wraith
21st May 2008, 11:56 AM
have u seen the add on TV for the 1 series? pretty cool...it shows how the car is built (in a partially realistic way:D )

Yeh, saw the add a couple of nights ago - very cool and sure does make the car look good in that add :)

USC
21st May 2008, 12:37 PM
Look forward to your assessment Steve of the TT 135i :)

Alot of us really like this new Beemer and it's within buying reach too....

The only other car I can think of to compare it to, is the Evo 10, although they're not exactly the same configuration, it would be a hard choice between the 2...

EVO 10 is all wheel drive though and could be used as a rally car:D

Wraith
21st May 2008, 01:45 PM
EVO 10 is all wheel drive though and could be used as a rally car:D

I'm doing a very close comparo for myself with these 2 cars ATM, on paper anyway - will check out both closer next year when they're both available :)

I'm not banking on getting one or the other, just looking at them in detail :)

Both have very appealing and strong points, price difference between the 2 is a little but not huge, but may make the difference in the end, because if you get an Evo, you couldn't possibly leave it alone for too long, it just calls to be modded at least a little and the 10-15k change compared to a 135i can go along way towards that :)

bornwild
21st May 2008, 02:18 PM
Wasn't there a comparo already between the EVO10 and 135i???

The 135i won on both performance and handling I think.

Wraith
21st May 2008, 03:25 PM
Wasn't there a comparo already between the EVO10 and 135i???

The 135i won on both performance and handling I think.

Where was that ??? I'd like to read up on it :)

I am surprised to hear that, as I thought the new Evo was capable of toppling even the new M3 in terms of handling, cornering, braking etc. except the new M3 is quicker - stock vs stock...

Stock vs stock, they (135i TT and Evo 10) have similar power and torque numbers, Evo 10 is heavier, but does have that ingenius AWD drivetrain behind it...a tuned Evo would be untouchable, I don't think you could ever mod a 135i to match it...

USC
21st May 2008, 04:49 PM
[quote=Wraith;317716]Where was that ??? I'd like to read up on it :)

quote]

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0806_bmw_135_mitsubishi_evo_mr_comparison/photo_14.html

Fantastic pics too...I like the looks of the EVO better.

MatsHolden
21st May 2008, 05:00 PM
All reviews i've read have come to the same conclusion of the suspenion being a too softer setup.. but apart from that they can't seem to flaw it!

xplosv57
21st May 2008, 05:01 PM
All reviews i've read have come to the same conclusion of the suspenion being a too softer setup.. but apart from that they can't seem to flaw it!

Set of Eibach's should fix that!!! :D

Wraith
21st May 2008, 05:08 PM
[quote=Wraith;317716]Where was that ??? I'd like to read up on it :)

quote]

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0806_bmw_135_mitsubishi_evo_mr_comparison/photo_14.html

Fantastic pics too...I like the looks of the EVO better.

Thanks for that USC - awesome read and pretty much exactly what I expected for the results :)

Good to read the BMW is a terrific put together car, but damn the Evo is still a car that cannot be beat in 'O/A' performance...

I must say looking at the 2 cars in those pics, I agree with you, IMHO the Evo does look better...damn if you had to choose between these 2, it would be difficult :(

bornwild
22nd May 2008, 01:03 AM
Where was that ??? I'd like to read up on it :)

I am surprised to hear that, as I thought the new Evo was capable of toppling even the new M3 in terms of handling, cornering, braking etc. except the new M3 is quicker - stock vs stock...

Stock vs stock, they (135i TT and Evo 10) have similar power and torque numbers, Evo 10 is heavier, but does have that ingenius AWD drivetrain behind it...a tuned Evo would be untouchable, I don't think you could ever mod a 135i to match it...

well the M3 would absolutely slaughter the EVO...stock vs stock, I reckon even the old M3 would slaughter it :)

As for 135i being not as modable...well let's see what the german tuning scene comes up with. There's already a 340hp at the wheels software mod to that engine from the US....a company called Vishnu.

Wraith
22nd May 2008, 08:56 AM
well the M3 would absolutely slaughter the EVO...stock vs stock, I reckon even the old M3 would slaughter it :)

As for 135i being not as modable...well let's see what the german tuning scene comes up with. There's already a 340hp at the wheels software mod to that engine from the US....a company called Vishnu.

I know all about Vishnu BW they are one of the main tuners for Evos as well over there and are a main source of discussion along with many others on the Evo forums I'm a member of ;)

FYI tuned Evo 10's are now running 11's over the 1/4 mile as I've stated before in other threads....this is still with a stock 'unopened' engine and turbo !!! just tune and bolt ons :) I've yet to see a 135i anywhere near that and honestly don't think they'll ever match the Evo, simply because they don't have AWD !

Stock vs stock though, the 135i is a beauty and beats the Evo in some performance respects, but once you mod an Evo, because of it's AWD and rally handling features, it'll hand any opponents arse over ;)

I have no doubt that a tuned 135i will run low 4's to 100km/h and mid to low 12's over the 1/4 mile :)

I'll have to read up on some comparos of the new M3 vs Evo 10, I'm sure the Evo is the hands down better handler, the straight line performance of the new M3 is similar if not LESS than this new TT 135i !!!! 4.8sec to 100km/h M3 vs 4.7sec to 100km/h 135i...

BMW have shot themselves in the foot again LOL, 1st with the TT 335i being almost as good as the M3 (and superior than an M3 with a tune) for over 50k less money, now the new TT 135i's are going to kick both its big brothers arses for 1/2 the price again, which is all good news for us buyers in the end :)

GreyRex
22nd May 2008, 09:25 AM
Bit random, but I thought some of you might be interested in this vid...

M3 Sedan
AMG C63
Lexus IS-F
Vauxhall VXR-8

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=232030&CT=V

bornwild
22nd May 2008, 10:43 AM
Wraith it's common knowladge mate that the M3 is what it is because of its handling ;)

It outdoes a 450hp Merc on the track...:D

I'd expect the new M3 with the tricked out double-clutch gearbox to do lap times of around 7:50 around Nordschleife. :)

Wraith
22nd May 2008, 10:54 AM
Wraith it's common knowladge mate that the M3 is what it is because of its handling ;)

It outdoes a 450hp Merc on the track...:D

I'd expect the new M3 with the tricked out double-clutch gearbox to do lap times of around 7:50 around Nordschleife. :)

Is that the Nurburgring ???

I'll have to see/find out or wait to see what the new Evo 10 does at the 'ring' - don't think I've come across any info on that yet....

A 7:50 is way, way behind the pace (if we're talking about the Nurburg.) but if it compares favourably to other cars in it's class ??? I suppose it's alright :)

I'm curious to see what time this new little 135i pocket rocket will do at the ring... :)

xplosv57
22nd May 2008, 11:37 AM
Hope were talking about the same Nurburgring cos as far as i know, these are the times recorded by BMW at the Nordschleife track...

E92 335i = 8.26
E46 M3 and E85 Z4M Coupe = 8.22
E63 M6 = 8.08
E92 M3 = 8.05

E46 M3 CSL and BMW X5 Concept V12 = 7.50 (wow, damn quicker than all the above!!)

Highly doubt the M3 auto will be quicker than these but you never know...

On the new M3 DKG auto gearbox, looking forward to seeing these in the country, just read a large document on how it works, much much different than the SMG gearboxes we've seen previously!!!

USC
22nd May 2008, 12:50 PM
If the M3 or the 135i (twin turbo 6 cyclinders 3.5L engine) did not perform better (stock vs stock) than an EVO (4 potter with single turbo), I would really question if BMW engines are any good?

I would love to see the New GTR vs an M3 or the 135i...the Beemers would get raped bad.

Wraith
22nd May 2008, 01:00 PM
On the new M3 DKG auto gearbox, looking forward to seeing these in the country, just read a large document on how it works, much much different than the SMG gearboxes we've seen previously!!!

Me too Steve - really interested to see how they compare to the other current generation of automated manuals... :)

Wraith
22nd May 2008, 01:12 PM
If the M3 or the 135i (twin turbo 6 cyclinders 3.5L engine) did not perform better (stock vs stock) than an EVO (4 potter with single turbo), I would really question if BMW engines are any good?

I would love to see the New GTR vs an M3 or the 135i...the Beemers would get raped bad.

The Evos 2.0ltr MIVEC pumps out almost the same power and torque numbers as BMW's 3.0ltr TT (in stock standard trim, 206kw/422nm vs 225kw/400nm respectively, although actual numbers for the Evo are much higher) so it all comes down to power/weight ratio and drivetrain setup/technology, from current reviews, performance and handling are as expected when you look at the numbers of the above items...

As for a comparo to the GT-R where have you been, heaps of these have taken place ages ago and your right, getting badly rapped is an understatement LOL, check the GT-R thread...basically to answer your question, both the new M3 and M5 are completely and utterly demolished by the GT-R surprise, surprise, not only in just about every performance respect, but in technology as well !!! :)

If you add a wet surface to the comparo, you could blind fold, tie up the hands and legs of the GT-R and throw it in a wheel chair and it would still win :D LOL

Then there's the purchase prices, M3 and M5 by now are totally buried ;)

Would be interesting to throw the new TT 135i in there and see how it fares, at least because it's much more affordable and half the price of a GT-R, I don't think it'd too too badly :)

xplosv57
22nd May 2008, 05:35 PM
Me too Steve - really interested to see how they compare to the other current generation of automated manuals... :)

It is similar to the VW DSG, i have a tech article from work about the M3 DKG if you're interested, PM me your email!!!

It's tough to compare the N54 TT 3.0 6cyl with the Evo 2.0 single turbo, as much as it is twin turbo, the turbos used on the BMW's are awfully small and only makes 30 extra kW than the n/a N52 3.0 6cyl which it's based on!!!

The Evo however has a decent sized turbo which produces some good boost and hence why it has the better aftermarket tuning capability which Ange has mentioned!!

You do really notice those extra kW when jumping from the n/a 330i to a 335i TT though!!! :D

Wraith
23rd May 2008, 09:00 AM
It is similar to the VW DSG, i have a tech article from work about the M3 DKG if you're interested, PM me your email!!!

It's tough to compare the N54 TT 3.0 6cyl with the Evo 2.0 single turbo, as much as it is twin turbo, the turbos used on the BMW's are awfully small and only makes 30 extra kW than the n/a N52 3.0 6cyl which it's based on!!!

The Evo however has a decent sized turbo which produces some good boost and hence why it has the better aftermarket tuning capability which Ange has mentioned!!

You do really notice those extra kW when jumping from the n/a 330i to a 335i TT though!!! :D

True that Steve about the Evo, it has a fairly decent twin scroll unit and is factory set at 22psi...:eek: little wonder the average power output stock standard from dynoed ones has been 191kw at all 4 wheels - so much for Mitsubishi's 'gentlemens agreement' advertising of 206kw at the engine LOL :)

I'd love read up on that DKG for sure - thanks for the info Steve :)

I'll PM you my work email :)

Cheers.

imay
25th May 2008, 12:29 PM
Well, attended the 1 series Coupe and Convertible launch in Adelaide on Friday evening. Very fancy affair, indeed.

End results:
The Coupe is effing gorgeous! The white 135i they had on display was fully kitted with 18" BMW alloys and BIG BMW brakes to suit, carbon fibre rear lip spoiler and rear diffuser, lowered, BMW sports vented side skirts, sunroof, BMW sat-nav, full leather with BMW racing seats up front, xenon directional headlights, etc., etc., etc. I spoke briefly to the guy that assisted in building this one before the show and he suggested it's value was $120,000+!!!!! Even the starting price of $76k for the 135i is lots of money for a little car, but geez it looks nice! I'd be content with a 125i with a few choice options (but even that takes it close to $70k!).

120i Convertible on show: Forget the convertible. Very nice, but in the end I'll stick with the Astra that I'm driving at present! Overall finish (paint, panel fit and interior trim) was no better than I have, driving position no better, power output only up slightly on the 2.2 Astra, driving dynamics probably improved (I'll let you know when I get my chance to drive one!), rear seat far more cramped than the Astra, as is the boot space reduced over what I already have. So, as said, I'll stick with what I've got. Yeah, I know, it also comes in the 135i mode which gives it plenty of grunt, but it's still no better than what I've got, just newer.

. . . . but the Coupe is another story again! Even the wife went a bit weak in the knees when we had a decent look at it! Very nice!

Wraith
26th May 2008, 01:04 PM
Damn, 120k+ for a 'full house' 135i TT, I just knew the price range would explode out of proportion as it always does with Euro marks :(

For that amount, one would probably start looking at the 335i TT instead...or maybe the new upcoming Audi TT/S...

Ian, do you have any pics of the fully kitted 135i TT :)

imay
26th May 2008, 01:22 PM
No pix yet, as this really wasn't the sort of function to be carrying around the digital SLR, but I really would like to drop in there in daylight to check it out thoroughly (without 400 other patrons in varying states of intoxication pawing all over it!).

Base price 125i and 135i probably aren't bad for what you get, but add a couple of "nice to live with" options and they suddenly become a very expensive motor car.
M sports pack: $2300
Metallic paint: $1600
Electric sunroof: $2750
"Professional" sat nav: $4200
Premium 10 speaker hi-fi: $2000
Upgrade wheels: $1200-how much would you like to spend
Xenon headlights: $1800 - with steer assist (swivle in direction of turn) $800.
Heated front seats: $700
etc., etc.
Go onto bmw.com.au and build your BMW and watch the price climb. Don't forget any dealer fitted option/s increases the sales tax you pay as well.

Adelaide BMW also has a white M3 in the showroom (very nice), but I'd really prefer the 1 Coupe.

Wraith
26th May 2008, 03:00 PM
No pix yet, as this really wasn't the sort of function to be carrying around the digital SLR, but I really would like to drop in there in daylight to check it out thoroughly (without 400 other patrons in varying states of intoxication pawing all over it!).

Base price 125i and 135i probably aren't bad for what you get, but add a couple of "nice to live with" options and they suddenly become a very expensive motor car.
M sports pack: $2300
Metallic paint: $1600
Electric sunroof: $2750
"Professional" sat nav: $4200
Premium 10 speaker hi-fi: $2000
Upgrade wheels: $1200-how much would you like to spend
Xenon headlights: $1800 - with steer assist (swivle in direction of turn) $800.
Heated front seats: $700
etc., etc.
Go onto bmw.com.au and build your BMW and watch the price climb. Don't forget any dealer fitted option/s increases the sales tax you pay as well.

Adelaide BMW also has a white M3 in the showroom (very nice), but I'd really prefer the 1 Coupe.

Good info Ian, speaking for myself, I could either do without, or get similar options for alot less myself on those items listed above - OEM is always such a rip... :mad:

Also some dealers (if you get friendly enough with them) will let you get the options without adding the associated sales tax cost of the options on top of the base price, then just add those optioned items to the car as a seperate procedure after the car arrives, ie: you pay them the cost of the options/works separately :)

I still want to check one out in the metal :)

imay
26th May 2008, 04:18 PM
I still want to check one out in the metal :)

Do it! You shouldn't be disappointed.

Wraith
26th May 2008, 04:38 PM
Do it! You shouldn't be disappointed.

I think that will be a given :)

I'm worried I'll walk out of the BMW stealership having left a deposit on one :o :sick: especially cos my missus loves Beemers and still misses the E46 M3 vert we 'almost' signed on back in '03... :(

Maybe I should keep away LOL :D

USC
26th May 2008, 05:44 PM
I think that will be a given :)

I'm worried I'll walk out of the BMW stealership having left a deposit on one :o :sick: especially cos my missus loves Beemers and still misses the E46 M3 vert we 'almost' signed on back in '03... :(

get a 3 series coupe...they are a LOT sexier!:D

xplosv57
26th May 2008, 07:43 PM
Had a quick look at the new 1 range today, didn't get a chance to drive anything yet mainly because nearly all the demonstrators have been sold!!! Goddamn i didn't realise how small the 135i actually is, had a black 6 spd, looked so damn nice!!! Ditto the 120i vert, looks very, very tidy!!

Unfortunately yes, the options do take their toll once you start ticking the boxes!!!

No come in Ange, you don't have to put down a deposit, just have a look and take one for a spin!!! Shout out if you are interested in having a look!!!

imay
26th May 2008, 10:18 PM
I was also told that if you wanted a 1 Coupe you had best put your name down now for delivery in 2009 . . . Yep! This year's Oz quota has been sold. So don't expect any "drive-away deals" on any of these babies!

bornwild
26th May 2008, 10:36 PM
Noice car....wayyyyy too overpriced in AU. :)

The money we're talking for a 135i decked out is approaching M3 territory....ridiculous!!!

imay
26th May 2008, 10:54 PM
The money we're talking for a 135i decked out is approaching M3 territory....ridiculous!!!

Add another $35k for the M3 . . . and that's before you begin to "personalise" your M3 with genuine BMW enhancements, or put it on the road.
You can easily "personalise" a 335i Coupe beyond the standard M3 price. Go figure???

USC
26th May 2008, 11:21 PM
Add another $35k for the M3 . . . and that's before you begin to "personalise" your M3 with genuine BMW enhancements, or put it on the road.
You can easily "personalise" a 335i Coupe beyond the standard M3 price. Go figure???

yeh..but the 135i is like the M3`s very ugly brother.

bornwild
27th May 2008, 12:39 AM

What's better, a decked out 135i or a 'base' M3?

For $35k more the M3 is a bargain in comparison :)

rjastra
27th May 2008, 09:32 AM

Or save $20K on a M3 and get a Merc C63. NOw thats a bargain.

Wraith
27th May 2008, 09:32 AM

A base M3 would definitely be better than a fully featured 135i, but that's if you can stretch the extra 30-40k or so......then if your really interested in the performance side of things, it's a hard choice, because the baby brother 135i kicks it's big brothers arse and it only gets worse for the M3 with basic tuning on the 135i's TT IL6 !!! dilema...

I would only go for a fully featured 135i if I were going to keep it long term, the depreciation will hurt otherwise...

My O/A favourite is still the 335i TT, it's got the looks and performance and fully featured it still stays way south of the M3's price tag...as I've said before, for me, getting anywhere close to 150k would mean - why look at anything else other than a GT-R...

Wraith
27th May 2008, 09:33 AM
Had a quick look at the new 1 range today, didn't get a chance to drive anything yet mainly because nearly all the demonstrators have been sold!!! Goddamn i didn't realise how small the 135i actually is, had a black 6 spd, looked so damn nice!!! Ditto the 120i vert, looks very, very tidy!!

Unfortunately yes, the options do take their toll once you start ticking the boxes!!!

No come in Ange, you don't have to put down a deposit, just have a look and take one for a spin!!! Shout out if you are interested in having a look!!!

Thanks Steve, I might have to take you up on that, but not now, I'll probably let it go until later this year or early next year :)...oh and I'm NOT taking the missus with me, she'll just buy the damn thing :o :)

rjastra
27th May 2008, 09:38 AM

I had a look at BMW prices

M3 = 157K + ORC
135i = 72K + ORC

Dip into options for 135i
Parking sensors, active lights, Access, alarm, Antidazzle mirrors, prof stereo and sat nav, heated seats = $11K

Makes the 135i = $83K + ORC

Or more than $70K less than the M3... Get your facts right people!!

USC
27th May 2008, 11:46 AM

M3 = 157K + ORC
135i = 72K + ORC

Parking sensors, active lights, Access, alarm, Antidazzle mirrors, prof stereo and sat nav, heated seats = $11K

remember..M3 for the brand name and styling...thats worth $70k extra..;)

imay
27th May 2008, 11:57 AM

M3 = 157K + ORC
135i = 72K + ORC

That's quite right. Even if you tick ALL the boxes (that's available on the website, anyway) and your 135i blows out to $91500+ORC. That's still a long way from the M3 . . . and in my opinion a better "practical" package for everyday driving. Still toooooo much for my back pocket, mind you, but much better.

As I said earlier, the one on display at the Adelaide launch had even MORE bits added to it, which blew the value(?) out to $120k!
And, as nice as the 135i is, the 125i would still be more than enough to keep this guy happy.

Much better looking than any AMG as well!

Wraith
27th May 2008, 12:30 PM

Yes, I noticed this myself when I checked out the BMW website yesterday, but the one Ian's referred to was a specially built one with different body kit and other additions which ballooned it's cost to 120k - I figure that puts it at about 111,500 +ORC's - they sure are charging a damn premium for that body kit and whatever else they've fitted it with....and it was a white one too, which means around $1,600 less I think it was for the non metallic paint colours...

Fully featured for 83k +ORC's it would be around $89,725 or approx. 90k drive away...or 1,600 less than that for the white, since it's not metallic...

I'd like to see what that body kit looks like, I'm sure you could score it elsewhere for heaps less than BMW want :)

Wraith
27th May 2008, 12:33 PM
the 125i would still be more than enough to keep this guy happy.

Ian, I can just visualise you and yours truly in one of those - you look perfect :)

So when are you getting one :D

Only question would be - what colour ???

Wraith
27th May 2008, 12:40 PM
remember..M3 for the brand name and styling...thats worth $70k extra..;)

You are actually right !!!

Because of that little M3 badge (or any other M series model) on the rear and all the hype/prestige/reputation that goes with it - you pay through your ears if you want one...pity that these days, they're not the outstanding class leaders they used to be, the competition is now all over them...and as previously stated, some of the 'lesser' BMW models can match up to them too !

That kind of makes buying an M3 these days not as clear cut as it used to be IMO...

imay
27th May 2008, 01:03 PM
Only question would be - what colour ???

White, with the carbon fibre difuser and rear lip spoiler . . . .

. . . .and the 18" alloys, and big brakes, and vented side skirts, and sunroof, and . . . .

Dreaming, just dreaming!

Wraith
27th May 2008, 01:10 PM
White, with the carbon fibre difuser and rear lip spoiler . . . .

. . . .and the 18" alloys, and big brakes, and vented side skirts, and sunroof, and . . . .

Dreaming, just dreaming!

LOL :D

btm
27th May 2008, 01:14 PM
it doesnt hurt to dream... we all have to aspire to something. its human nature :)

bornwild
27th May 2008, 11:32 PM
Human nature don't have such a song...:)

glider
28th May 2008, 06:52 AM
has anyone seen the new 1 series advert that is now running on TV, just saw it, damn that coupe looks fine

Wraith
28th May 2008, 08:34 AM
has anyone seen the new 1 series advert that is now running on TV, just saw it, damn that coupe looks fine

Yes and already mentioned in the previous pages :) (Page 5)

Wraith
28th May 2008, 08:34 AM
Human nature don't have such a song...:)

LOL, you crack me up BW :D

USC
28th May 2008, 10:09 AM

certainly looks better than the 1 series hatchback...not a fan of the hatch.

glider
28th May 2008, 10:25 AM
Yes and already mentioned in the previous pages :) (Page 5)

heh i did Ctrl + F on this page only tbh

Wraith
28th May 2008, 10:26 AM
certainly looks better than the 1 series hatchback...not a fan of the hatch.

+ 1

Totally agree, the BMW 1 series hatch is a bit of a dog in looks....

The coupe looks very nice by comparison....

The convertible is just gorgeous and best looking of the range IMHO :)

bornwild
28th May 2008, 02:25 PM
LOL, you crack me up BW :D

:D

They don't but...:p

I had a closer look today at a BMW dealer...had to rush it though as I was on my way to uni. Bloody hell I like that coupe...:) Though I could settle with a 130i hatch with those nice leather seats mmmmmm :D

USC
28th May 2008, 02:54 PM

I had a closer look today at a BMW dealer...had to rush it though as I was on my way to uni. Bloody hell I like that coupe...:) Though I could settle with a 130i hatch with those nice leather seats mmmmmm :D

one of my mates bought the a blue hatch with cream leather..but to be honest..the car isnt that impressive. leg space at the back is VERY POOR. the car looks nice at the front but the back needs a spoiler...:D

bornwild
28th May 2008, 02:59 PM
Wow...I don't hear people complaining that an Enzo has poor leg room at the back!! :D

USC
28th May 2008, 03:03 PM
Wow...I don't hear people complaining that an Enzo has poor leg room at the back!! :D

lol...

Its a nice car though (if u dont use the back, that is). The paint work is just beautiful..very nice and thick. engine sounds nice too!

Wraith
28th May 2008, 03:22 PM
one of my mates bought the a blue hatch with cream leather..but to be honest..the car isnt that impressive. leg space at the back is VERY POOR. the car looks nice at the front but the back needs a spoiler...:D

How does the coupe compare to the hatch in this regard ??? anyone know ???

Would be good if you can actually fit 2 people in the rear of the coupe, would make it a much better option for everyday practicality...

xplosv57
28th May 2008, 07:17 PM

Which dealer did you go to???

bornwild
28th May 2008, 07:56 PM
Melbourne, the one in Prahran...Stillwell or something.....

MatsHolden
28th May 2008, 08:35 PM
Melbourne, the one in Prahran...Stillwell or something.....

South Yarra maybe?

bornwild
28th May 2008, 08:58 PM
Pretty sure it was Prahran...it was just off Malvern Rd.

EDIT: looked it up here, http://www.bibstillwell.com.au/scripts/main.asp?PageID=2992

imay
28th May 2008, 10:46 PM
Would be good if you can actually fit 2 people in the rear of the coupe, would make it a much better option for everyday practicality...

But Ange, that's like suggesting it's good to have 2 people in the back of the 'vert. I know the seating is there, the seat belts are there, the leg room is there, but it's just not meant to be! Same for the Coupe. All that extra weight in the back, and the constant chatter that interrupts the premium sound hi-fi or the sweet sound of the engine as you give it a squirt along your favorite bit of bitumen . . .
Room in the back for 2 more . . . nah! That's where I hang my jacket!

bornwild
28th May 2008, 10:50 PM
But Ange, that's like suggesting it's good to have 2 people in the back of the 'vert. I know the seating is there, the seat belts are there, the leg room is there, but it's just not meant to be! Same for the Coupe. All that extra weight in the back, and the constant chatter that interrupts the premium sound hi-fi or the sweet sound of the engine as you give it a squirt along your favorite bit of bitumen . . .

+1

:clap:

USC
28th May 2008, 11:12 PM

depends what you are after mate! Having a four door does not mean you need to carry people around..just means it easier to get your jacket in and out.;) . also, if the misses is up for it, u have the option of using the back seats without too much worry about how to fit in the back.:D

Wraith
29th May 2008, 09:00 AM

:confused:
I'm a little confused by the above...dosn't really answer my query ??

I just wanted to know how much room there is in the back of the 135i coupe ??? and if 2 people would seat comfortably, as I'm already aware that it's a small car - for me this is important for an 'everyday' car consideration, as I'll have kids or other people to sometimes cart around !!! I already have my 1 or 2 only people car with a sweet ICE set up for fun only driving :)

Coupes usually have more space in the back than their equivalant convertible model...I've never used or considered my vert or any other vert as an everyday car, although some of the bigger ones would easily pass for this :)

I'll just have to go and check one out for myself and see if it suits my needs, as I love nearly everything else about it :) oh, except for the price tag with all the goodies thrown in :(

bornwild
29th May 2008, 02:59 PM
Ange you can always check out the Merc CL65...plenty of room in the back :p

xplosv57
29th May 2008, 06:14 PM
Pretty sure it was Prahran...it was just off Malvern Rd.

EDIT: looked it up here, http://www.bibstillwell.com.au/scripts/main.asp?PageID=2992

Oh yeah, i think i know the place....

:confused:
I'm a little confused by the above...dosn't really answer my query ??

I just wanted to know how much room there is in the back of the 135i coupe ??? and if 2 people would seat comfortably, as I'm already aware that it's a small car - for me this is important for an 'everyday' car consideration, as I'll have kids or other people to sometimes cart around !!! I already have my 1 or 2 only people car with a sweet ICE set up for fun only driving :)

Coupes usually have more space in the back than their equivalant convertible model...I've never used or considered my vert or any other vert as an everyday car, although some of the bigger ones would easily pass for this :)

I'll just have to go and check one out for myself and see if it suits my needs, as I love nearly everything else about it :) oh, except for the price tag with all the goodies thrown in :(

To be honest, there's not a great deal of room in the back of the 1 Coupe, kids should be ok, but a decent size adult will find it hard!!! I guess that's where the premium for the 3 series lies!!!

Still haven't got a chance to drive one as yet, hoping to do so tomorrow or saturday!!!!

Wraith
30th May 2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks Steve :)

Will you be driving a 135i TT ?

If so look enjoy it and I forward to your review - I'm sure you'll have a very big smile from it and also you'll be able to give an excellent comaparo of it to a powerful V8, which like you I also am very interested in :)

xplosv57
30th May 2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks Steve :)

Will you be driving a 135i TT ?

If so look enjoy it and I forward to your review - I'm sure you'll have a very big smile from it and also you'll be able to give an excellent comaparo of it to a powerful V8, which like you I also am very interested in :)

Speaking about powerful V8's and the 135i, here's a pic i took for you...

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/xplosv57/Phonepics428.jpg

Yes Ange i sure as hell wanna drive the 135i and will try and take one for a spin tomorrow, but as i've said before, most of the demo's have been sold!!!

USC
31st May 2008, 12:40 AM

Yes Ange i sure as hell wanna drive the 135i and will try and take one for a spin tomorrow, but as i've said before, most of the demo's have been sold!!!

do u work for BMW?

sooty
31st May 2008, 06:17 PM
do u work for BMW?

yes...he does:)

USC
31st May 2008, 06:53 PM
Saw a 120i white convertible on clayton Rd in Clayton today. Looks ok...a bit small in my opinion but still nice! A few people were checking it out.

xplosv57
31st May 2008, 07:49 PM
yes...he does:)

Umm thanks Ain..

Ange, take back what i said about the back seat room, actually sat in the back and is fairly decent for a small coupe, im almost 180cm tall and still had around 8-10cm from the roof, leg room was good too, had the base all the way back and wasn't squashed!!!

Selling like hotcakes these things too!!! :D

Wraith
1st June 2008, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the pic Steve - the 135 looks good up against the M3 - would be nice if the styling of the 135's headlights were more like those of the M3 :)

Good to hear the rear has descent room, I like the fact that it's a compact car...I'm going past BMW Doncaster today on my way through to a friends place - hopefully there's one outside in the yard, I'll have a good look :)

USC
1st June 2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the pic Steve - the 135 looks good up against the M3 - would be nice if the styling of the 135's headlights were more like those of the M3 :)

Good to hear the rear has descent room, I like the fact that it's a compact car...I'm going past BMW Doncaster today on my way through to a friends place - hopefully there's one outside in the yard, I'll have a good look :)

If the 135i headlight styling looked the same as the M3, then there would be hardly any difference between the two cars at the front. I do prefer the headlight of the M3. How come that M3 does not have fogs?

imay
1st June 2008, 12:17 PM
M3 doesn't have fog lights . . . the vents open all the way to the brakes making them functional, not pretty!

Pretty sure the 135i M Sports pack front bar also deletes the foggies in lieu of open ducted vents to the brakes.

xplosv57
1st June 2008, 06:29 PM
M3 doesn't have fog lights . . . the vents open all the way to the brakes making them functional, not pretty!

Pretty sure the 135i M Sports pack front bar also deletes the foggies in lieu of open ducted vents to the brakes.

You're correct, that must be a 125i then, my bad!!! Did take some pics of the 135i yesterday as well as the 120i and 125i verts!!

rjastra
1st June 2008, 10:12 PM
Why do you need foglights on a sports car?

USC
1st June 2008, 11:01 PM
Why do you need foglights on a sports car?

for when its foggy. I guess with directional xenon lights..u dont need it.

bornwild
2nd June 2008, 12:46 AM
M3 don't need foggies...."God is afraid of the M3 so no fog ever awaits the M3"...Confucious say

rjastra
2nd June 2008, 08:33 AM
I would counter that with modern, well designed headlights that front fog lights are a relic of the past and should be dropped. The weight saving alone is worth it.

Wraith
2nd June 2008, 08:39 AM
LOL guys, speaking of fog lights, well here in Melb. the last couple of days, we sure need em....it's been very foggie, even during the day...

Anyways dropped into BMW Doncaster yesterday and yes plenty there, but not a single 125 or 135 coupe - damn :(

They had over a dozen hatches, in every colour, so it was a good opportunity to check em out, including what all the colours look like in the metal :)

The hatch has plenty of room up front, plenty of width and headroom in the rear, but limited as said with leg room.

I'm not a fan of the hatch's looks O/A and in white it didn't look good at all IMO ! might be the proportioning, maybe the coupes and convertible look better in white...

The interiors however are very stylish and look nicely finished off...

Next was the convertible - what a beautiful car in looks by comparison to the hatch, absolutely love it, they only had the one there and it was in that gold-ish/taupe silver colour with matching fabric top and cream interior - and yes I creamed my pants :o stunning car...

I'll have to maybe arrange a visit at your work Steve to check out the coupes, or maybe try another dealer, I love the design and finish of the paddle shifters on the autos - very nice...push button start, very cool :)

Another technical question for you Steve, if your able to find out:
What is the power upgrade capacity or power (mainly the torque) limit on the 6sp steptronic trans ???

I'm assuming since it already handles 225kw/400nm and it's in the heavier 3 series as well, it'll be able to handle a bit more...

xplosv57
2nd June 2008, 08:34 PM
I'm not a fan of the hatch's looks O/A and in white it didn't look good at all IMO ! might be the proportioning, maybe the coupes and convertible look better in white...

I'll have to maybe arrange a visit at your work Steve to check out the coupes, or maybe try another dealer, I love the design and finish of the paddle shifters on the autos - very nice...push button start, very cool :)

Another technical question for you Steve, if your able to find out:
What is the power upgrade capacity or power (mainly the torque) limit on the 6sp steptronic trans ???

I'm assuming since it already handles 225kw/400nm and it's in the heavier 3 series as well, it'll be able to handle a bit more...

I'm telling you now Ange, the vert looks absolutely mint in white, showed Mat one today and it looks very very good!!!

I'll try find out about the gearbox limitations, but BMW wouldn't be pushing it to the limit, i'd say 225kW is very safe, big modification margin!!! :D

Wraith
3rd June 2008, 08:53 AM
I'm telling you now Ange, the vert looks absolutely mint in white, showed Mat one today and it looks very very good!!!

I'll try find out about the gearbox limitations, but BMW wouldn't be pushing it to the limit, i'd say 225kW is very safe, big modification margin!!! :D

Thanks Steve, yeh I'm sure the white will look good on both coupe and convertible - I've sinced looked up the colours and my fav. 2 are the 'cashmere silver' that's that taupe/beige looking colour and the 'crimson red' that's the metallic brownish red used for all the promo shots :)

I like the white too, but with the white exterior, your very limited to the interior colours, with the above 2 colours, you can pick a really nice leather colour to go with the interior :)

As for the power upgrade question, the 135i will already have 225kw and is available with the 6sp steptronic as an option - I was wanting to know if it'll handle 300kw and 500nm without any issues (that's what you'll get with a tune eg: the Xede).

If I was to get serious about one of these cars, I'd want the 6sp auto (everyday car auto = much easier to live with and better re-sale) with the paddle shifts and I would definitey get a tune, just need to make sure it'll hang together :)

I've read that there's a waiting list on these and they'll be pretty hard to get a hold of ?? usual story demand outstripping supply...

I've also read that the 1st year production vehicles are instant collectables amongst BMW diehards, something to do with the inscription around the push start button, it says - "the first year of the one" - are you able to confirm this ?? if this is the case, it would pay to get one of these 1st year production 135i's as the resale value would be much better ??

I'm going to go back to Doncaster BMW in the coming weeks and speak to the same guy that 'almost' sold me an E46 M3 convertible in '03 and get all the facts on availability etc. :)

imay
3rd June 2008, 05:21 PM
Go to http://www.1addicts.com/forums/index.php to get your questions answered regarding the BMW 1 Series Coupe and Convertible, Ange.
Found this one by accident, joined, and quite enjoy checking out the chats in regards to colors, mods, etc.

xplosv57
3rd June 2008, 08:22 PM
As for the power upgrade question, the 135i will already have 225kw and is available with the 6sp steptronic as an option - I was wanting to know if it'll handle 300kw and 500nm without any issues (that's what you'll get with a tune eg: the Xede).

I've read that there's a waiting list on these and they'll be pretty hard to get a hold of ?? usual story demand outstripping supply...

I've also read that the 1st year production vehicles are instant collectables amongst BMW diehards, something to do with the inscription around the push start button, it says - "the first year of the one" - are you able to confirm this ?? if this is the case, it would pay to get one of these 1st year production 135i's as the resale value would be much better ??

I'm going to go back to Doncaster BMW in the coming weeks and speak to the same guy that 'almost' sold me an E46 M3 convertible in '03 and get all the facts on availability etc. :)

Yeah the car will handle the Xede package with ease, no need to worry about that!!

Waiting list, yes the demand has exceeded everyone's expectations, sold 25 at the launch night at our dealer alone, struggling to keep demo's for a decent amount of time!!

First i've heard of the inscription round the start button, will investigate again for you!!!

Who did you speak to at Doncaster, PM me if you want!!

A 135i would be a nice runaround till the GT-R arrives!!! ;)

USC
3rd June 2008, 11:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef7IIRe2rlU&NR=1

BMW 130i VS Subaru WRX sti (2008)

poita
3rd June 2008, 11:30 PM
oh dam close!!
very impressive from both cars

130i with 19" mags, a nice set indeed ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2PqM6TyoeE&feature=related

completely unrelated, but holy shit check this crash out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRC3rv1ZHj4&feature=related

bornwild
3rd June 2008, 11:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef7IIRe2rlU&NR=1

BMW 130i VS Subaru WRX sti (2008)

Yeap...I've always said the 135i coupe is much quicker than both the EVO and STi in a straight :)

bornwild
3rd June 2008, 11:33 PM
oh dam close!!
very impressive from both cars

130i with 19" mags, a nice set indeed ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2PqM6TyoeE&feature=related

completely unrelated, but holy shit check this crash out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRC3rv1ZHj4&feature=related

That's guaranteed to give the driver a headache...dammm

poita
3rd June 2008, 11:33 PM
i wouldnt exactly say 0.001 is much quicker.
i would put that down to driver reaction, i would say they are pretty much eve over the 1/4 mile

bornwild
3rd June 2008, 11:35 PM
i would put that down to driver reaction, i would say they are pretty much eve over the 1/4 mile

That's the 130i...I'm talking about the 135i :p

EL BURITO
3rd June 2008, 11:38 PM
exactly run it again and compare

poita
3rd June 2008, 11:50 PM
That's the 130i...I'm talking about the 135i :p

ah my bad :)
too late at night lol

USC
3rd June 2008, 11:58 PM
The 135i would kill the sti..:D

poita
4th June 2008, 12:01 AM
lookin at that yes it would, stick some corners in between the start and finish though. thats wat the suby is built for ;)

USC
4th June 2008, 12:09 AM
lookin at that yes it would, stick some corners in between the start and finish though. thats wat the suby is built for ;)

not so sure about that, the 135i was better around corners than the new EVO:eek: ..I posted a review not long ago.

bornwild
4th June 2008, 12:11 AM

Get the M-sport suspension on the 135i and again I'm pretty sure the story could be the same ;)

Wraith
4th June 2008, 08:46 AM
Yeah the car will handle the Xede package with ease, no need to worry about that!!

Waiting list, yes the demand has exceeded everyone's expectations, sold 25 at the launch night at our dealer alone, struggling to keep demo's for a decent amount of time!!

First i've heard of the inscription round the start button, will investigate again for you!!!

Who did you speak to at Doncaster, PM me if you want!!

A 135i would be a nice runaround till the GT-R arrives!!! ;)

Thanks again Steve... :) wrapped to hear a 300kw/500nm tune won't hurt the auto trans...:dance: I'll investigate more though...

I can't remember now the specific site, but I went into quite a few over the weekend doing research and info learning on the 135i...in one of those sites was a review which talked about the inscription around the start button and it's 'possible' value amongst BMW enthusiasts, I think it was an American review...if I can find it again, I'll post it up.

The person I've dealt with in the past at Doncaster BMW is an elderly gent 'Leigh' can't remember his surname and I've lost his business card...it was years ago and last I spoke to him in person was in 2006.

When I went there last Sunday, the dealership was closed, but I was able to check out the 1 series cars as they were all parked outside :)

If or when you get a 135i coupe in your workplace Steve, let me know and I'll pop over for a look :)

If and I say if I go for a 135i in future, I doubt I'll also be getting a GT-R...that may follow as the next car down the long term track...I've commited myself to more financial spending on property these days :)

Wraith
4th June 2008, 08:53 AM
Get the M-sport suspension on the 135i and again I'm pretty sure the story could be the same ;)

The 135i sure does have impressive handling, much better than its big brother 3 series...like I've said earlier, it has the potential to beat even the M3 with some tuning !!! the thing that impresses me the most about the 135i is that is does so well in terms of traction and handling, yet it dosn't have an LSD, something maybe BMW have planned to make sure the future M1 variant is significantly better...

From reviews I've read in an O/A handling to the limits, the Evo is superior...but we're talking really going crazy, which most people won't do and certainly something which people will appreciate on the track, but 98/99% of owners will never track their car...all depends on what you want or desire and what you can afford to buy in the end - they're both highly desirable cars :)

Wraith
4th June 2008, 09:04 AM
Go to http://www.1addicts.com/forums/index.php to get your questions answered regarding the BMW 1 Series Coupe and Convertible, Ange.
Found this one by accident, joined, and quite enjoy checking out the chats in regards to colors, mods, etc.

Thanks Ian :) I might just do that...already a member of 1/2 a dozen other car forums, one more to learn and do research or even participate on due to a potential future car won't hurt :)

edit: Just checked out this forum Ian, faaaarrrr out is it busy or what ?? - 223 people on and viewing/participating/posting at the same time :eek: and it's just a 1 series specific only forum...is this car already that popular ???

poita
4th June 2008, 12:50 PM

so spend even more money on an expensive car to make it handle better hmmm
im talkin straight out of the box

rjastra
4th June 2008, 01:03 PM

Doesn't the 135i come standard with the m-sport suspension etc? I thought it was optional for the 125i

imay
4th June 2008, 01:11 PM
Just checked out this forum Ian, faaaarrrr out is it busy or what ?? - 223 people on and viewing/participating/posting at the same time :eek: and it's just a 1 series specific only forum...is this car already that popular ???

Don't forget Ange, that the penal colony known as Australia was the last in line to be receiving the 1 Series. I think you will find that they have been available in Europe and UK for sometime now. US/Canada started getting their first deliveries not long before it was announced that we would also be getting them. AND . . . that forum caters for a large contingent of the "English" speaking enthusiasts. There are also heaps of 1 Series specific web sites in Europe (e.g. Germany). Then, of course, you have the BMW sites that have a 1 Series specific thread as well.

Yes . . . they are popular all over the world!

Side note: Went and had another decent daylight look at the white "tricked up" Coupe on display at Adelaide BMW the other day. $122,500 on road as it stands! Lots of carbon fibre and other BMW bits'n'pieces bumps the price up from $82,000 on road for a 135i auto with M Sports pack and a couple of other bits. Couldn't show me a convertible because "they don't have one available." Can't give me a test drive of a Coupe because "they don't have one available."

I think I'll be waiting a couple of years until the low km versions start hitting the used car lots.

USC
4th June 2008, 01:37 PM
Don't forget Ange, that the penal colony known as Australia was the last in line to be receiving the 1 Series. I think you will find that they have been available in Europe and UK for sometime now. US/Canada started getting their first deliveries not long before it was announced that we would also be getting them. AND . . . that forum caters for a large contingent of the "English" speaking enthusiasts. There are also heaps of 1 Series specific web sites in Europe (e.g. Germany). Then, of course, you have the BMW sites that have a 1 Series specific thread as well.

Side note: Went and had another decent daylight look at the white "tricked up" Coupe on display at Adelaide BMW the other day. $122,500 on road as it stands! Lots of carbon fibre and other BMW bits'n'pieces bumps the price up from $82,000 on road for a 135i auto with M Sports pack and a couple of other bits. Couldn't show me a convertible because "they don't have one available." Can't give me a test drive of a Coupe because "they don't have one available."

I think I'll be waiting a couple of years until the low km versions start hitting the used car lots.

It does look ok and perform very well but at $120K ...why would you want one? I would buy it at US price but we are getting ripped off here.

thats not far from the skyline gtr.

95' GSI
4th June 2008, 01:53 PM

What do you think?

looks like a shoe/slipper :rolleyes:

Wraith
4th June 2008, 01:57 PM

Yes, I see and understand all of that now...I've joined up and spent a solid hour and a bit on that site and certainly learned alot already...to answer my own initial question, it seems there are plenty of issues concerning power upgrades, most worrying is an encription on the ecu of all cars built after March of this year (which is what we'll get here in Aust.) that reveals if you messed around with it LOL, bye, bye warranty :( BMW has done this because there have been quite a few with component failures due to power upgrades, but obviously denied by owners who bring them back to stock for services LOL :D...

What a shame, but not all hope is lost, the main tuners there are working on a 'fix' :) they'd want to find a solution, as it seems everybody there with a 135i or 335i wants the most popular stg. 3 tune which delivers 293kw/572nm :eek: in a 135i that almost puts it in supercar territory !!!

I have a sneaking suspision Ian from what I've learned so far, the car at your BMW dealer is 'dressed up' as a ' tii ' variant ??? that would explain the cost...

Pity, no vert there, it is a very beatiful car, the one I looked at for ages on Sunday was the crimson silver colour with the matching taupe fabric top, it made me melt, just gorgeous !!!

I don't like the idea of getting a S/H 135i after reading up on them so far, simply because I'd want the warranty, I think it's mandatory of this variant, but for the other versions with the N/A engines, it should be ok...

I'll investigate further when I have more time - gotta get some work done :)

bornwild
4th June 2008, 06:15 PM

M-sport is an optional package on all BMW cars I'm pretty sure

xplosv57
4th June 2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks again Steve... :) wrapped to hear a 300kw/500nm tune won't hurt the auto trans...:dance: I'll investigate more though...

I can't remember now the specific site, but I went into quite a few over the weekend doing research and info learning on the 135i...in one of those sites was a review which talked about the inscription around the start button and it's 'possible' value amongst BMW enthusiasts, I think it was an American review...if I can find it again, I'll post it up.

If or when you get a 135i coupe in your workplace Steve, let me know and I'll pop over for a look :)

Had a look at a few 1's today, none of them had this inscription around the start button, maybe it's on the tii concept or something, haven't geard anything myself!!!

We do have a 135i Coupe demo, if you do want a drive, PM me and i can work something out for you!!! Also a 135i vert arrived today for pre delivery, could also be a demo!!!

It does look ok and perform very well but at $120K ...why would you want one? I would buy it at US price but we are getting ripped off here.

thats not far from the skyline gtr.

$120k......... $160k, i'd say there's a big difference to the GT-R price still!!!

Yep!!

poita
4th June 2008, 08:12 PM

which is my point exactly.
you only get it if you ask for it and fork over the extra $$

Wraith
4th June 2008, 08:26 PM
Had a look at a few 1's today, none of them had this inscription around the start button, maybe it's on the tii concept or something, haven't geard anything myself!!!

We do have a 135i Coupe demo, if you do want a drive, PM me and i can work something out for you!!! Also a 135i vert arrived today for pre delivery, could also be a demo!!!

$120k......... $160k, i'd say there's a big difference to the GT-R price still!!!

Yep!!

Thanks Steve, will do...definitely would love a test drive, before getting too serious and taking it further...

That inscription I mentioned has been fitted to only a specific batch of 1st year production 1 series coupes...mainly cars already released in Europe and the U.S. there's heaps of people on that forum Ian put up that want it - there's even talk of copies being made and sold LOL, I think I'll forget about that one, sounds like it's all going a bit pear shaped :)

And yes agree, still a huge gap between this 120k (all up) 135i and a GT-R which will cost 150k + ORC's - but as said many times, if you've got 160k+ to spend on a car, there's is no better buy in the Aust. market ATM than an R35 GT-R for that price bracket ! :)

imay
4th June 2008, 09:53 PM
Hey guys, slow down! Don't get too tied up with this concept of a 135i costing $120,000. That was ONE Coupe that Adelaide BMW had dressed up for the launch. It's not a general run-of-the-mill 135i. This one was something SPECIAL, with lots and lots of bits on it that don't even get a mention in the brochure . . . not even the UK brochure that I received a copy of today.
The base 135i manual Coupe is on the road for around $80,000. Add for the flappy paddle auto and it's $82,500ish.
Then when you start getting carried away and add the nice bits'n'pieces from the brochure like sunroof, sat nat, premium hi-fi, etc., it gets up closer to $90,000. Then, and only then, can you start adding the bits that you really don't need to take it to the astronomical $120,000 (well, $122,500 on the road, actually!).

For the record, the 125i Coupe auto (with M Sport pack as an added extra) comes to around $67,000 on the road.

So, hopefully I've cleared all that up, and let's have no more talk about $120,000 BMW 1 Series Coupes! OK.

USC
4th June 2008, 11:14 PM
For the record, the 125i Coupe auto (with M Sport pack as an added extra) comes to around $67,000 on the road.

hmm..thats cheaper than a new 120i hatch (with leather, sunroof etc) in 2005.

Wraith
5th June 2008, 09:00 AM
Hey guys, slow down! Don't get too tied up with this concept of a 135i costing $120,000. That was ONE Coupe that Adelaide BMW had dressed up for the launch. It's not a general run-of-the-mill 135i. This one was something SPECIAL, with lots and lots of bits on it that don't even get a mention in the brochure . . . not even the UK brochure that I received a copy of today.
The base 135i manual Coupe is on the road for around $80,000. Add for the flappy paddle auto and it's $82,500ish.
Then when you start getting carried away and add the nice bits'n'pieces from the brochure like sunroof, sat nat, premium hi-fi, etc., it gets up closer to $90,000. Then, and only then, can you start adding the bits that you really don't need to take it to the astronomical $120,000 (well, $122,500 on the road, actually!).

So, hopefully I've cleared all that up, and let's have no more talk about $120,000 BMW 1 Series Coupes! OK.

As mentioned in my previous post Ian, I think it's a 135i 'mocked up' to a ' tii ' which includes a whole bag of 'M' accessories which because being OEM parts and then bearing the 'M' tag, they're priced accordingly, ie: ridiculously expensive :)

Agree with you in that the BMW dealer would've done it just as a centre 'show off' piece or iceing on the cake for the 1 series display/launch...

This info comes from the link you put me onto, I spent another great deal of time in that forum last night - very informative and I think I now know this car inside out, thanks heaps for the reference :)

Here's a link to the page which shows some of those, from this link there are a few others you can go into to take a look at the actual accessories :)

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3865

IMO the 135i is good enough as is, I'd tick only some of the option boxes add a nicer set of wheels of my own choice and a flash tune or 'detachable' piggyback ecu - that's it :)

imay
5th June 2008, 09:32 AM
That's pretty much right, Ange.
The 135i on show in Adelaide features (from that catalogue download) the following, that I can remember:
M Sport front bar
Carbon rear diffuser
Carbon rear lip spoiler
Vented side skirts
Those BIG brakes
BMW racing seats
Interior carbon dashboard trim
Lowering kit (on top of M Sport lowering) -- yep, sits really low and mean.
Sports twin outlet exhaust (bigger bore than standard and chrome tips)
18" alloys as pictured (different from standard 135i alloys)
Two-tone silver waist-line stripe
plus:
Sunroof
Sat-nav
Premium sound (not sure if it was top-of-the-line, but probably considering sat-nav was also there)

Add all this together and that's where the $122,500 on the road comes from. A little over the top, yes . . . but jeez it looks nice!

And, of course, all this is also available for your 135i Convertible, Ange!
My only comments on the convertible are: It is a very, very nice package, but not so much so that I would trade up from my Astra. The biggest area the BMW would be better than the Astra would be in general driveability . . . which is fine if you plan on sprinting home on your favorite road everyday. Just not "different" enough to excite me. The Coupe on the other hand is a another story altogether . . . that one I could be/am tempted to look at further, but again would only NEED the 125i for our daily requirements.

EL BURITO
5th June 2008, 10:00 AM
Say a blue 135i on the way in this morning and dam that is HOT

need to keep eyes on the rd and not the sexy BMW in the lane next to me

Wraith
5th June 2008, 04:11 PM
That's pretty much right, Ange.
The 135i on show in Adelaide features (from that catalogue download) the following, that I can remember:
M Sport front bar
Carbon rear diffuser
Carbon rear lip spoiler
Vented side skirts
Those BIG brakes
BMW racing seats
Interior carbon dashboard trim
Lowering kit (on top of M Sport lowering) -- yep, sits really low and mean.
Sports twin outlet exhaust (bigger bore than standard and chrome tips)
18" alloys as pictured (different from standard 135i alloys)
Two-tone silver waist-line stripe
plus:
Sunroof
Sat-nav
Premium sound (not sure if it was top-of-the-line, but probably considering sat-nav was also there)

Add all this together and that's where the $122,500 on the road comes from. A little over the top, yes . . . but jeez it looks nice!

And, of course, all this is also available for your 135i Convertible, Ange!
My only comments on the convertible are: It is a very, very nice package, but not so much so that I would trade up from my Astra. The biggest area the BMW would be better than the Astra would be in general driveability . . . which is fine if you plan on sprinting home on your favorite road everyday. Just not "different" enough to excite me. The Coupe on the other hand is a another story altogether . . . that one I could be/am tempted to look at further, but again would only NEED the 125i for our daily requirements.

Yes, thought so :)

And ' if ' I get a 135i Ian, it'll be the coupe, not convertible !!!

The 1 series vert is amazingly beautiful and if I already didn't have a soft top vert - I'd go for it, no question !!!

But as you know, I'm keeping my TS vert and don't want to have 2 soft top verts, if it were a hard top, I'd definitely be keen :)

Wraith
5th June 2008, 04:13 PM
Say a blue 135i on the way in this morning and dam that is HOT

need to keep eyes on the rd and not the sexy BMW in the lane next to me

If you go to the link above, you'll find some nice pics of all the colours and exterior and interior colour combos - it looks good in all colours, damn hard choice to choose...

rjastra
6th June 2008, 01:12 PM

Pretty sure?? LOL

Go to BMW website and you will find out that the 135 comes with the M Sport pack as standard

The pack includes:

M Sport Package includes: M Aerodynamic Package, M Sport suspension, M leather steering wheel, M door sill finishers, M light alloy wheels Double spoke 207 M with 7J x 17 205/50 front tyres and 7.5J x 17 225/45 R17 rear tyres,
sport seats, Anthracite roof lining, interior trim in Aluminium Glacier Silver and shadowline for exterior windows.

The M SPort pack is available for $2300 on the 125i.
A cheaper option is the M SPort Suspension pack for the 125i for $850.

Wraith
6th June 2008, 01:24 PM
That's is the case for the 135i :)

Another fact for BW which he won't like....

The twin turbos in both the 135i and 335i are Japanese made and supplied LOL :D

And guess by who ??? yep, Mitsubishi...

So I guess BMW don't like or want to use KKK/Borg Warner for these :confused:

USC
6th June 2008, 02:02 PM

Japanese products Rule! even germans are admitting now:p by using their turbo in a high performance car.

bornwild
6th June 2008, 02:27 PM

I know almost every single turbo-performance engine uses a german pump :) I'm surprised BMW has resorted to mitsubishi's turbos :confused:

What's your source mate? :)

Wraith
6th June 2008, 03:34 PM
I know almost every single turbo-performance engine uses a german pump :) I'm surprised BMW has resorted to mitsubishi's turbos :confused:

LOL :D

Last 2 solid days of reading/research on the BMW 1 series forum :)

Read the posts on this thread link for yourself - I'll provide the tissues :D :D

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10650

I'm surprised that your surprised, it didn't surprise me, since the Germans have been using Japanese automotive hardware for years !!!

The auto transmission in my Calibra is of Japanese make, also used on SAAB's and many others and I must say, it's one of the best auto boxes I've had ;)

The new Porker 911 will be a GT-R in drag :D :p and that's not far from the truth as the Stuttgard Porker scientists and engineers have purchased several of them to reverse engineer and find out how come they're so good !!!

Alot of it's features will be in the next generation of Euro hi po cars !!! ;)

bornwild
6th June 2008, 03:36 PM
You're forgetting that the Nissan engineers purchased a couple of Turbo's to reverse engineer as well ;)

Well Saab and Opel...it's all GM :p

USC
6th June 2008, 03:40 PM

and what is your source PORN WILD?:D how do u know every SINGLE performance engine uses a german pump?:confused:

bornwild
6th June 2008, 03:48 PM
Look it up yourself dammit :p

Wraith
6th June 2008, 03:52 PM
You're forgetting that the Nissan engineers purchased a couple of Turbo's to reverse engineer as well ;)

Well Saab and Opel...it's all GM :p

I havn't double checked but as far as I know, the IHI turbos used in the GT-R are spec. designed by Nissan in collaboration with Cossworth !!!

The IHI company is a 50/50 split between Borg Warner and Ishi Corp. I think it is from the U.S.A.

So which turbos did Nissan purchase to reverse engineer :confused:

I'm not being biased, I love the new 135i coupe and am wrapped it's got some Japanese hi tech hardware on it :)

What a pity they didn't fit a pair of those beautiful twin scroll units that are fitted to the Mitsu Evo 10......

Wraith
6th June 2008, 03:55 PM
Look it up yourself dammit :p

LOL lazy bugger :D :p

You should provide as I did to your request on the previous page :)

bornwild
6th June 2008, 04:32 PM
Yeah but forums don't count ;)

I want a review/fact sheet :)

bornwild
6th June 2008, 04:33 PM
I'd take a Porsche turbocharger over anything :p

USC
6th June 2008, 04:37 PM
I'd take a Porsche turbocharger over anything :p

I would take anything over nothing.

Wraith
6th June 2008, 04:37 PM
Yeah but forums don't count ;)

I want a review/fact sheet :)

Hahahahaha, stop it, your killing me LOL :D :D

The facts are there in that link...it leads to other forums and to the other sources of the information - if BMW 335i/135i owners know of and accept it, I think it should be good enough for you too :p

bornwild
6th June 2008, 04:41 PM
:D hey I'm here for laughs :D

Wraith
6th June 2008, 04:49 PM
:D hey I'm here for laughs :D

Yes I am well aware and am almost entertained :)

We should call you CY rather than BW...

CY = Chain Yanker :D :p

bornwild
6th June 2008, 04:57 PM
oooo there goes a new nickname :D

Wraith
6th June 2008, 05:00 PM
Here you go Mr BW...

Just did a very quick search and found this, to add to my post above - oh and it's documented stuff, as requested, not forum hype :)

1st line of the 2nd paragraph is very interesting ;)

In 1998, IHI purchased Borg Warner Automotive shares in the company to become 100% owner and the company was re-named as IHI Turbo America. ITA continues to be a major supplier of turbocharger products in North America and is part of a global network serving the worlds engine manufacturers. This network includes IHI, ITA, ICSI Italy and ICSI Germany.

ITA continues to provide the highest technology turbocharger products available in the world today by application of IHI technological developments. These developments include VGS(Variable Geometry System), ceramic and mixed flow turbine wheels, ball bearings, noise and vibration control, inducer treatment and many others.

For more information about our parent company IHI, please visit their web site at www.ihi.co.jp.

bornwild
6th June 2008, 05:01 PM
Right, so the tech is german? :)

<<<<< btw...look nickname :P

USC
6th June 2008, 05:03 PM
Here you go Mr BW...

Just did a very quick search and found this, to add to my post above - oh and it's documented stuff, as requested, not forum hype :)

1st line of the 2nd paragraph is very interesting ;)

In 1998, IHI purchased Borg Warner Automotive shares in the company to become 100% owner and the company was re-named as IHI Turbo America. ITA continues to be a major supplier of turbocharger products in North America and is part of a global network serving the worlds engine manufacturers. This network includes IHI, ITA, ICSI Italy and ICSI Germany.

ITA continues to provide the highest technology turbocharger products available in the world today by application of IHI technological developments. These developments include VGS(Variable Geometry System), ceramic and mixed flow turbine wheels, ball bearings, noise and vibration control, inducer treatment and many others.

For more information about our parent company IHI, please visit their web site at www.ihi.co.jp. (http://www.ihi.co.jp.)

and again...Jap Rules.:D

Wraith
6th June 2008, 05:03 PM

Err. No...

LOL I like the avatar now :D

USC
6th June 2008, 05:04 PM

no, the people smiling in the office are germans, but the inventors are japanese.

bornwild
6th June 2008, 05:06 PM
The Borg Warner IP stays in Germany, no matter who the owner is. I'd like to know what percentage of those new innovations was actually done in Germany and what in Jap?

edit: Hang on, BorgWarner is american....I just got confused there, the name is German and I thought automatically it was German...bahhh

edit: When I said performance turbos...I actually meant racing turbos and supercars :)

xplosv57
6th June 2008, 08:04 PM

First i've heard of this, but i don't think many people know (or care) where the turbos originate, the rest of the car is all German, all BMW!!!!!

I know the diesel turbo's in BMW's are Garrett items!!! (The 3.0d turbo is one big mutha :D )

Possibly BMW didn't want to spend big dollars on the development of turbo's, at the end of the day, the two turbo's only make 30kW on top of the n/a motor!!!

imay
6th June 2008, 10:29 PM
at the end of the day, the two turbo's only make 30kW on top of the n/a motor!!!

The very reason why the 125i is more than enough and would be my choice of the 1 Series Coupes on offer in Oz!
The 135i with its extra initial cost, extra theft appeal, higher insurance (cause it's got a turbo!) and thirst for PULP or PULP+, although it's still very, very nice, is more than I'd ever need as a daily driver.

USC
6th June 2008, 11:01 PM
First i've heard of this, but i don't think many people know (or care) where the turbos originate, the rest of the car is all German, all BMW!!!!!

I know the diesel turbo's in BMW's are Garrett items!!! (The 3.0d turbo is one big mutha :D )

Possibly BMW didn't want to spend big dollars on the development of turbo's, at the end of the day, the two turbo's only make 30kW on top of the n/a motor!!!

some parts could be from china, some from south africa..etc.

if you look at any windows on a new BMW, they have the CCC (chinese compulsory certification)...new astras/opels have them too. in fact new jap cars also have them now. so, parts are sourced from all over the world.

u would never know where all parts are sourced from except if you work in the engineering division of BMW or factory operations or Management in Germany. A dealership is like coles selling a certain brand of yogurt...they dont know all the "secrets".

xplosv57
7th June 2008, 07:17 PM
A dealership is like coles selling a certain brand of yogurt...they dont know all the "secrets".

???

Not sure what you're on about, but the point i was making is that the car is still built by German's regardless where the parts are from!!!

Obviously there are alot of parts outsourced from other countries to cut costs!!!

bornwild
7th June 2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah imagine if Merc and BMW were building their cars the way they did in the 80's and early 90's...you'd be paying $120k for a base 3-series!!!

xplosv57
7th June 2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah imagine if Merc and BMW were building their cars the way they did in the 80's and early 90's...you'd be paying $120k for a base 3-series!!!

Yep!!!

Mate found the original sales documents for his '89 E30 325i, was in the mid $60k range, hell of alot of money in those days, but heck those things still run damn well almost 20 years later because they were built tough!!!

Will like to see how the latest cars (not only BMW) stand the test of time in a new, disposable society!!!

USC
8th June 2008, 12:10 AM
???

Not sure what you're on about

I meant..working for a dealership is like working for a distributor for a brand...yes, they would know their cars (hope so anyways) but they will not know about all the "internal secret decisions" (ie, where all parts are sourced..etc) that are made by the company that actually manufactures the product itself. The part could be made by some external company that stamps the BMW badge on it in china for example.

If course they would do that to cut costs.

I saw heaps of BMW 1 series coupe at BMW in the city today (near Crown)!!!

USC
8th June 2008, 12:15 AM
yep..thats for sure...I used to love the 5 series in the 90`s(and still do)..they were really tough!!

bornwild
8th June 2008, 12:42 AM
The toughest car on the planet in my books is the 90's E-class.....you can't destroy that thing if you flooded it and raped it all day long.....you just can't destroy it.

Black Nugget
8th June 2008, 10:59 AM
The toughest car on the planet in my books is the 90's E-class.....you can't destroy that thing if you flooded it and raped it all day long.....you just can't destroy it.

I reckon 80s diesel E and S class...there not the no1 african dictators choice for a reason.:D

glider
8th June 2008, 11:10 AM
so true...

(watch from about 40 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdEsLCY8vB0

Wraith
9th June 2008, 01:59 PM

Hi Steve, it's the 1st you, me and others here have heard of it LOL - but it's a 'FACT' none the less !!!

True though at the end of the day "who cares" as long as they work and work good, which they do, as this BMW twin turbo IL6 engine has now been voted car engine of the year in some categories for 2 years running...

I just pointed this simple fact out, so some people here *cough 'BW' cough* get a correct understanding and appreciation of Japanese automotive hardware and quality that's good enough for even the top Euro brands to accept and use on their cars :)

As for yourself Steve, if you can, spend some time in that forum I've been going to lately (my links from previous posts) originally put up by Ian (Imay) it's very informative on BMW's especially the 1 series and the 'N54' IL6 TT engine we're talking about here... :)

It's even answered all my questions I originally asked you about the 6sp steptronic trans :)

BTW the power output is alot more (as I'm sure you know) than 30kw over the 128i's N/A motor (the average dyno readouts I've seen show 191kw at the wheels for an auto equipped 'N54' engine powered Beemer) and the torque is also much more than quoted and around 50% more than the 128i's N/A motor...that's a HUGE difference - Ian this is a good point for you to know too !!!
The 'N54' engine is also running a very conservative tune, as with most factory turbo engines...flash tunes with no other mods give increases of around 30% in both power and torque and exhaust/induction mods give up to 50% increases if you wanted to go that way, so those tiny Mitsubishi turbos are nice units Steve with plenty extra potential on offer :)

And remember also that here in Australia, we don't get the 128i coupe or convertible variant only the 125i/135i for coupes and 120i/125i/135i for the verts...and also no 128i or 135i for the hatches !

Just for info the N/A 3.0ltr IL6 in the 125i is rated at 160kw with 270nm at the engine...

Wraith
9th June 2008, 02:13 PM
I saw heaps of BMW 1 series coupe at BMW in the city today (near Crown)!!!

Really ???

I'm going to go there and have a look if I get the chance this coming weekend :)

There are still none over at BMW Doncaster, which I think is the largest BMW dealer in Melb. ??

I want to check these out in the metal, hope they've got most of the colour range there too :)

xplosv57
9th June 2008, 06:34 PM
As for yourself Steve, if you can, spend some time in that forum I've been going to lately (my links from previous posts) originally put up by Ian (Imay) it's very informative on BMW's especially the 1 series and the 'N54' IL6 TT engine we're talking about here... :)

It's even answered all my questions I originally asked you about the 6sp steptronic trans :)

BTW the power output is alot more (as I'm sure you know) than 30kw over the 128i's N/A motor (the average dyno readouts I've seen show 191kw at the wheels for an auto equipped 'N54' engine powered Beemer) and the torque is also much more than quoted and around 50% more than the 128i's N/A motor...that's a HUGE difference - Ian this is a good point for you to know too !!!
The 'N54' engine is also running a very conservative tune, as with most factory turbo engines...flash tunes with no other mods give increases of around 30% in both power and torque and exhaust/induction mods give up to 50% increases if you wanted to go that way, so those tiny Mitsubishi turbos are nice units Steve with plenty extra potential on offer :)

Just for info the N/A 3.0ltr IL6 in the 125i is rated at 160kw with 270nm at the engine...

Yeah i have had a look at the 1 Series forum a while ago to see initial pics of the coupe/vert variants, it's helpful to many prospective buyers (not me unfortunately) which is great!!!! Glad you were able to find out about the auto trans info on there!!!

With the 128i, that is a US spec N52 motor which has a different manifold and ECU, here in OZ we got the better N52 which has 195kW and 315Nm (seen in 130i hatch, 330i, 530i, Z4, X3 and X5 3.0si), which is the engine the 225kW TT N54 is based on, 30kW more!!

Same deal with the 125i, it is another variant of the N52, but different manifold and ECU again!!!

Essentially the TT N54 was created to phase out the highest spec N/A N52!!!

I'll be in contact later in the week Ange about a drive!!!

Wraith
9th June 2008, 07:01 PM
Yeah i have had a look at the 1 Series forum a while ago to see initial pics of the coupe/vert variants, it's helpful to many prospective buyers (not me unfortunately) which is great!!!! Glad you were able to find out about the auto trans info on there!!!

With the 128i, that is a US spec N52 motor which has a different manifold and ECU, here in OZ we got the better N52 which has 195kW and 315Nm (seen in 130i hatch, 330i, 530i, Z4, X3 and X5 3.0si), which is the engine the 225kW TT N54 is based on, 30kW more!!

Same deal with the 125i, it is another variant of the N52, but different manifold and ECU again!!!

Essentially the TT N54 was created to phase out the highest spec N/A N52!!!

I'll be in contact later in the week Ange about a drive!!!

I see what you mean regarding the engines, but that 225kw from the N54 is actually more like closer to 240kw from the dynoed cars charts I've seen on that forum :)

Regarding the possibility of a drive - AWESOME...:D I owe you one :)

If it happens, I can put it down in memory and then compare to the others on my short list :)

And I ain't telling the missus either LOL, she's biased and wants me to get a Beemer regardless, I want to focus more on value for money, which the 135i has over other 'hi po' Beemers, but I'm still to be convinced it has over other makes in a similar or lesser price range...

BTW off topic, but I think worth mentioning, that forum is incredible in it's members participation numbers, along with the numbers I already pointed out on previous posts, the most users ever online at any one time was 3,627 :eek: :eek: :eek: from a total number of 5,485...over 60&#37;

For OpelAus to match that, we'd have to have 2,231 members online at once, compared to the current record of only 199...less than 6%

rjastra
9th June 2008, 08:42 PM
Essentially the 125i coupe we get here is badged as the 128i in the USA.

The 130i hatch gets the 195kw engine.

Wraith
10th June 2008, 10:43 AM
Essentially the 125i coupe we get here is badged as the 128i in the USA.

The 130i hatch gets the 195kw engine.

Thanks rjastra, your correct - did a bit of a read on the Aust. BMW site and that does seem to be the case :)

USC
10th June 2008, 11:34 AM
saw a black 1 series convertible near work today (close to flagstaff station) in the city. Looked awesome! anyone here owns it?:D

Wraith
10th June 2008, 02:22 PM
saw a black 1 series convertible near work today (close to flagstaff station) in the city. Looked awesome! anyone here owns it?:D

Hey USC what time was that ???

I walk out of Flagstaff station every morning around 8:10-8:15am :)

I've yet to see one on the road, either vert or coupe....most people who've ordered one are still waiting delivery (some have to wait until Feb. next year) and I think the 1st deliveries to people here in Melb. started only last month or April...and apparantly they're selling very well, from the forum I've mentioned on these pages, there's an Aust. sub section and they quoted around 160 units sold per month so far....

Speaking of the 1 series vert - checked one out in the metal at BMW Doncaster - cashmere silver with matching taupe fabric top looks unbelieveably sexy.... :drool:

USC
10th June 2008, 02:50 PM
that was around 9:30 am...coffee time!!:D ....the guy was blocked in traffic in his black 1 series convert;) ..I could not see whether it was a 120i or 125 or 135 as it was on the other side of the road.

I saw a white convert in clayton not long ago as well..that was a 120i...it looks much sexier/bigger in white I think!!

Wraith
10th June 2008, 02:56 PM
that was around 9:30 am...coffee time!!:D ....the guy was blocked in traffic in his black 1 series convert;) ..I could not see whether it was a 120i or 125 or 135 as it was on the other side of the road.

I saw a white convert in clayton not long ago as well..that was a 120i...it looks much sexier/bigger in white I think!!

Ah I see, I get out for a walk in the arvo around 3-3:30pm for a coffee in the CGU building just down the road from the Flag Staff station entry points :)

Agree, the white will look better than the black with this car both for vert or coupe... :)

I'm going to go a check out the BMW dealership near the Casino this weekend, see what they've got in the showroom - hopefully a few different coloured coupes :)

USC
10th June 2008, 03:28 PM
Ah I see, I get out for a walk in the arvo around 3-3:30pm for a coffee in the CGU building just down the road from the Flag Staff station entry points :)

Agree, the white will look better than the black with this car both for vert or coupe... :)

I'm going to go a check out the BMW dealership near the Casino this weekend, see what they've got in the showroom - hopefully a few different coloured coupes :)

Cool!! yeh, last time I drove around there, I saw a few parked outside the dealership and some inside in the showroom as well.

I also saw a guy test driving a perl red 135i like a maniac on wellington road a LONG time ago..thats what started this thread..haha.

not sure if you have been to Zanzi bar on latrobe street before but somebody caught Hepatitis from there not long ago:eek: ..so better avoid.

Wraith
10th June 2008, 03:47 PM
Cool!! yeh, last time I drove around there, I saw a few parked outside the dealership and some inside in the showroom as well.

I also saw a guy test driving a perl red 135i like a maniac on wellington road a LONG time ago..thats what started this thread..haha.

not sure if you have been to Zanzi bar on latrobe street before but somebody caught Hepatitis from there not long ago:eek: ..so better avoid.

Ahhhhh, just got back from having a coffee @ CGU, they sure make a good one there :)

So that's how this thread started :D

I think the one you spotted would've been a 'sedona' red example :)

As for this 'Zanzi' bar - can't say I'm familiar with it, but thanks for the heads up - I'll keep away !!!