PDA

View Full Version : Just drove the F6 Falcon...

bornwild
15th May 2008, 09:37 PM
Hey guys,

Today I drove the new FG FPV F6, organised it through my old man to take one of the employee's cars for a quick drive.

I was not allowed to bring in any cameras so pics are a no no, but yeah they're all over the net anyway. The version I drove was orange, textile seats and with the 6-speed auto, it did not have the brembo brakes however. Apparently the car I drove had been some kind of test car for different components so it's not the full kit but the drivetrain and chassis are the same as production.

I honestly don't know where to start. Until today, I have hated and despised huge cars because they handle like boats and just drink fuel like a diesel train.

I think I'll divide it up into sections.

First Impressions
The car looks very neat. The 'eyeshadow' is not my think but hey, it looks alright, much better than Commodore's wheel arches which can be had on the Berlina up to the HSV427. The F6 is very distinct in comparison to the standard falcons. What I loved about it were the black wheels and the intercooler at the front, though it should have been made bigger.

When I looked under the hood I saw a smaller turbo than in the previous iteration of both the XR6 and F6...so I don't know whether this one will be as easy to just boost up. Inside, the trim was neat and good finish. The soft plastics were nice too though the softness did appear to be non-uniform across the dash and too soft at places.

The cloth seats did nothing to impress but support was relatively fine. Quality is nice, nothing outstanding but definitely a step up from the Commodore.

The Drive
Ohh boy. I did not have the opportunity to take it through the twists and turns because Campbellfield is a very straight-right-turn industrial zone so yeah. The car doesn't have any understeer and the guys tell me it handles much better than the GT. I'm guessing this is due to the weight of the V8 unit. This car is very, very capable around corners for it's weight...BUT body roll is very noticable. Tyre noise is not as bad as some reviews claim it to be, so I don't know what the deal there is.

One thing I hated about it is the constant TC light goin on...I wasn't even pushing it that hard and the TC light would come on. Don't like it. It can be completely turned off though, I didn't dare to do this.

The performance
Gobsmacking...apsolutely astonishing. For a 1800kg car this is one rapid freakin car....I think it can crack into the 12s quarter mile easyyyyyyy...STOCK! The acceleration from 0-100 is just a joke, that's how quick it is. You get pushed into the seat and feel your eyeballs push into the head at any speed. This thing has extreme torque at any engine speed. It is that quick. It just puts a smile on your face automatically.

I don't know what to say about performance, I'm still in awe about it myself to be honest and am seriously looking at purchasing an XR6T once I'm off my P's. I don't have the money for the F6.

I think that bang-for-buck this kicks the Nissan GTR's arse. The next engine is supposed to be a 330kW twin-turbo unit.

To give you a good estimate of performance, I was in 6th gear on the freeway at 100km/h and just tapping the accelerator a bit for a tiny fraction of a second feels like a rugby player just tackled you head on. It is dangerously quick.

Gearbox
I'm pretty sure this is just an updated unit of the same ZF unit. It does the job beautifully and you'd be hard pressed to find it in the wrong gear at any time. The auto achieves better fuel economy than the manual too.

Negatives
Weight. And lots of it. Ford has done a much better job than Holden, admittedly but the car is still too heavy. Instead of going more hp they should be going for the less kg. Besides this, I don't find anything bad about it...especially for the $65k they want for a car that is as quick as this. This 310kW feels like about 400kW...no jokes.

Orion_996
15th May 2008, 10:22 PM
I didn't drive one, but you've pretty much confirmed my expectation, i really like the new FG XR6Ts and am considering one myself, prob once the series II comes out with the updates for the inevitable first gen niggles.

bornwild
15th May 2008, 10:29 PM
Oh mate, a simple flash tune on an XR6T would see you beyond 250kW at the wheels easy.

Zajebano brzo auto...

Vectracious
15th May 2008, 10:34 PM
But it's still a Taxi... :p :cool:

USC
15th May 2008, 10:43 PM
I need new pants after reading your review:D

how much does the new xr6T cost??

bornwild
15th May 2008, 10:47 PM
I need new pants after reading your review:D

how much does the new xr6T cost??

:p

I think it should be around $45k on-road! :) Add $500 to tune it and voila ~330kW!!! :D

poita
15th May 2008, 11:30 PM
they are still and ugly taxi
dont hink i could ever bring myself to buyin a commonwhre or falcoon

CNBLU
16th May 2008, 12:11 AM
:p

I think it should be around $45k on-road! :) Add $500 to tune it and voila ~330kW!!! :D

Think for $45k i would rather buy a second hand STi and have that flashed. besides 330kw is alot of power but its still a boat and weighs a shitload.

Wraith
16th May 2008, 08:42 AM
Well done BW, that's a great experience and write up :clap:

You have experienced what alot of other 'one eyed' 4 pot fans would either never do because of their bias or have and become converts, when trying out a 'proper' V8 or high power 6 pack... :)

The car you drove is indeed capable of high 12's and it's going to blow and embarass alot of other so called performance cars out there, despite still looking like and actually being a large family sedan ;)

Bang for buck value and how much car you get for the money, isn't surprising with these, just look at the VE SS !!!

You may also be correct regarding Fords use of a future TT V6 as they're planning on using the American duratec 3.5ltr V6 and may vey well build a TT version of it....as I've already stated before GMH are doing a TT version of their alloy tech 3.6ltr V6 :)

It's definitely GAME ON :D

GreyRex
16th May 2008, 09:11 AM
Can't quite make my mind up about the new Falcon:rolleyes:

I sat in the range at the Melbourne Motor Show, along with 3 other people that I went with... all of us gave it the thumbs down (don't worry... same was said about the Commodore, that handbrake!!:eek: lol)

One thing I couldn't understand were the seat bases in the cloth XR seats. They were so soft i was able to flex them like a $2 car wash sponge from Kmart. Have a feel the next time you sit in one. I really wonder how they'll hold up, or how they were approved

It's not that i'm against Aussie cars... it's just the larger aussie stuff isn't something I would buy:) . Of course the engines and power can't be ignored though...

If the XR6T wasn't already a weapon... it is now!!

tim_
16th May 2008, 09:16 AM
i am a holden boy, but i am in love with the new falcon. have been since it came out. if petrol prices weren't climbing so high an xr6t would be the car i'd be buying at the end of the year!

Orion_996
16th May 2008, 09:33 AM
they are still and ugly taxi
dont hink i could ever bring myself to buyin a commonwhre or falcoon

Ugly I understand, everyone has their own taste, but the taxi reference shouldn't matter i think. Half of Europe uses Merc E-Classes as taxis and i don't think anyone thought of that, or used that as a reason not to buy one.

JohnBu
16th May 2008, 09:45 AM
i don't mind them, having said that i've never owned an aussie built car.

I wouldn't buy one today, but if I had a family and two kids, this would make an awesome family car.

SSS_Hoon
16th May 2008, 09:52 AM
a awesome family car is a STI LIB wagon now that is a Family car.

SSS_Hoon

GreyRex
16th May 2008, 09:57 AM
a awesome family car is a STI LIB wagon now that is a Family car.

SSS_Hoon

Yeah we've got a Liberty Spec B 3.0L manual... not quite that, but not bad either

Black Nugget
16th May 2008, 09:58 AM
nice review mate, sounds shit fast!

Still as I walked past one of the new mazda 6 wagons(they look very smooth) the other day, why would any family man buy a commodore or falcon with 30% worse fuel economy, bland looks, average quality yet at the same price.

Appart from their performance cars like F6, XR6T and SS this kind of car is slowly becoming redundant.

Wraith
16th May 2008, 10:02 AM
Ugly I understand, everyone has their own taste, but the taxi reference shouldn't matter i think. Half of Europe uses Merc E-Classes as taxis and i don't think anyone thought of that, or used that as a reason not to buy one.

This is very true, maybe BW can confirm, but I've heard stacks of people from or who've visited Germany and other Euro countries state that over there, Mercs and Beemers are just like Holdens and Fords over here...so of course they are used as taxis there, like our Falcons and Commos are here.

Not wanting a certain type of car because certain variants are used as cabs is a silly point, I've heard some people go on about how they wouldn't want a yellow car because it's the same colour as cabs - how ridiculous is that :rolleyes:

tim_
16th May 2008, 10:10 AM
and would you not drive a hsv gts because it's based on a taxi?

Orion_996
16th May 2008, 11:57 AM
This is very true, maybe BW can confirm, but I've heard stacks of people from or who've visited Germany and other Euro countries state that over there, Mercs and Beemers are just like Holdens and Fords over here...so of course they are used as taxis there, like our Falcons and Commos are here.

Not wanting a certain type of car because certain variants are used as cabs is a silly point, I've heard some people go on about how they wouldn't want a yellow car because it's the same colour as cabs - how ridiculous is that :rolleyes:

Yupp, its very true, when I visited Europe last year, in Paris, i took a brand shiny new E Class cab to my hotel. Also while i was back home in Yugoslavia a had an older gen E Class as a cab.

I'm planning a prolonged stay in Europe for about 4 or 5 months next year, and was looking at purchasing a car in Germany, For about 11 000 euros i found a 2001 E46 323i Coupe with something like 80000ks on the clock, i was amazed, and it wasn't the only one in that price range.

Black Nugget
16th May 2008, 12:03 PM
Yupp, its very true, when I visited Europe last year, in Paris, i took a brand shiny new E Class cab to my hotel. Also while i was back home in Yugoslavia a had an older gen E Class as a cab.

I'm planning a prolonged stay in Europe for about 4 or 5 months next year, and was looking at purchasing a car in Germany, For about 11 000 euros i found a 2001 E46 323i Coupe with something like 80000ks on the clock, i was amazed, and it wasn't the only one in that price range.

look at cars in the UK too....

My mate is looking at getting a BMW 540i and he can pick up a 2001 manual 540 with less than 90,000 miles for around 4000 pounds or 10K AU and there are heaps to chose from

tim_
16th May 2008, 12:08 PM
90,000 miles?! thats so many! still, heaps cheaper than the 25,000 or so you'd pay for the same thing here.

Black Nugget
16th May 2008, 12:09 PM
90,000 miles?! thats so many! still, heaps cheaper than the 25,000 or so you'd pay for the same thing here.

not really thats about 140kms where in aus most 540is are well over the 200k mark.....anyway back on topic..

xplosv57
16th May 2008, 02:14 PM
As much as i love my Holden's, i've always said what a good car the XR6T is, so much capabilities for a relatively small price!!! Got a few mates making 300+rwkw out of BA/BF turbo Falcon's with a bit of a fiddle round!!!

However i really dislike the styling of the new FG, IMO they've taken the decent BA design and ruined it!!

Official prices see it as $47,990 + orc and Ford, finally using it's brain, has now put the XR8 as the same price, whereas with BA/BF it was some 7k more yet was slower, more thirsty and had alot less modification capability than the cheaper XR6T!!

Still couldn't turn my back on the Lion to purchase one though, Holden bring out a 6 turbo FFS!!!!!!!

Unlikely, since Aus only saw 40 or so E39 540i manuals delivered here, i'm interested in this 10k UK 540i manual import, Black Nugget, if you could grab some info for me, i'td be much appreciated!!!

bornwild
16th May 2008, 04:35 PM
Yeah Wraith you're exactly right...Mercs and BMWs are commoners cars and not considered luxury unless you opt for luxury options.

See, the view in AU is that every BMW and Merc are luxury items. This is not true. They are people's cars and most of the cars they sell in Europe is just to get people from point A to point B...not to make them look rich or anything... :)

I miss the power from the F6 :( Was depressing driving my car to uni this morning lol

rjastra
17th May 2008, 02:13 PM
Why would anyone buy a F6 when the regular XR6T is now soooooo quick and close to 20K cheaper?

Similar story i suppose with the commodore SS and the R8.

There is a test of the XR6t, SS and XR8 in this months Motor.

XR6T wins the test. Buy a SS if you want a v8 they say :)

astrauturbo
18th May 2008, 12:26 PM

I never knew you were from Yugoslavia. So am I!!

USC
18th May 2008, 01:17 PM
tax on cars is too much here in aus and going 15% up with the new budget for luxury cars!!:mad:

Wraith
18th May 2008, 01:35 PM
Why would anyone buy a F6 when the regular XR6T is now soooooo quick and close to 20K cheaper?

Similar story i suppose with the commodore SS and the R8.

There is a test of the XR6t, SS and XR8 in this months Motor.

XR6T wins the test. Buy a SS if you want a v8 they say :)

Yeh, read that one today and also the article on the new F6 that this threads about - as already said by BW and a few others of us, this car's going to be a winner, whether people want it or not - it's a winner !!! :)

bornwild
18th May 2008, 01:42 PM
I never knew you were from Yugoslavia. So am I!!

What country?

BiH here...

Orion_996
18th May 2008, 01:53 PM
Holy damn, BiH as well, so that makes 3 of us then. Ex-Yugoslavians that is.

P.S. astraturbo, you're from brizzy rite? and you were at the photoshoot, my mate with the XR5 and the other one with the Silver AH SriT are also Ex-Yugos

astrauturbo
18th May 2008, 02:18 PM
Holy crap!! yeah i was at the Photoshoot. Um I am from the gold coast so
close enough :p. I was born in Croatia. but was still considered Yugoslavia
back then. Father is serbian, Mother Croatian.

Sorry to go off topic.

kabel
18th May 2008, 02:24 PM
Why buy a GT when you can have a F6 !!

Honestly I have no real preference for any one particular brand of car.
If my budget stretched that far I would definately consider a F6.

A friend has a BF Typhoon in the light blue colour with black factory wheels and it looks fantastic.

Having said that though I doubt I would purchase a large car again after
owning a small car as most trips it is just me in the car and on weekends
myself and my girl.
And I do have 5 metres of V8 Valiant parked in the garage as it is that hardly gets used !

GreyRex
18th May 2008, 07:45 PM
Has anyone been on to www.caradvice.com.au and seen the vid of the launch control in the XR6 Turbo? Awesome

JohnBu
19th May 2008, 09:33 AM
Father is serbian, Mother Croatian.

how did that happen.. i can imagine the wedding!!

all good now :)

Wraith
19th May 2008, 10:47 AM

Once upon a time, all was cool until the break up of individual states in the early nineties...

My ex-wife was Serbian Ugoslav. and they had heaps of Croation and Mecedonian family relatives and friends, alot of which unfortunately went sour and broke off when the hostilities began over there...

I can remember going to Serbian restaurants and functions in the CBD in the early-mid nineties and there was full security at the venues just in case of an incident - bloody sad time for these communities !!!

Thank Christ it's settled down a bit now....

Back on topic, I'm going to check out that link of the XR6 T... :)

I predict this car is going to become very popular on the hi-po car scene !!!

astrauturbo
19th May 2008, 10:48 AM

As i said it use to be Yugoslavia 1 country!!!

As alot of ppl said allready whats the point of buying a v6 turbo when todays 4cly turbos are just as quick. aka better on petrol.

Wraith
19th May 2008, 10:53 AM
As i said it use to be Yugoslavia 1 country!!!

As alot of ppl said allready whats the point of buying a v6 turbo when todays 4cly turbos are just as quick. aka better on petrol.

I suppose the main point would be that either the V6 T OR TT or IL6 T or TT are in a larger car and people who want a larger car + the performance will find it in these cars and not the smaller car with the turbo 4 potter !!!

It's a buyers market, whether by necessity or requirement or value for money etc. and each will buy what they want and/or need - each to their own ;)

bornwild
19th May 2008, 11:45 AM
I just want to emphasize how good the new FPV F6 looks....amazing car.

Orion_996
19th May 2008, 12:00 PM
I agree bornwild, i love the general shape of them, i just dont like the black masks under the lights. Cheapens it a bit in my opinion, now if the FPV GT-E came with the T6 thats the one i would get, providing i actually had the funds and looking for one. Smooth front and a nice subtle bootlid spoiler, very euro, just the way I like it.

bornwild
19th May 2008, 12:53 PM
I think that the eyeshadow would be easy to respray :) :D

Wraith
19th May 2008, 01:13 PM
I agree bornwild, i love the general shape of them, i just dont like the black masks under the lights. Cheapens it a bit in my opinion

+ 1 Agree

But as BW said, it can probably be painted out...

Orion_996
19th May 2008, 01:21 PM
Yeah that is true, I can see lots of FPV customers doing that, I def would.