PDA

View Full Version : Opel Moving Upmarket

MatsHolden
15th May 2008, 06:29 PM
GM has decided to move it's Opel marque upmarket and to further separate it from GM's entry level brand, Chevrolet.

"Opel and Chevrolet will be bookends with a clear position for both (and) over time, we will emphasize Opel's German heritage, engineering and design."
GM Europe President Carl-Peter Forster

This will benefit the design and engineering of Opel vehicles. But it will bring an up to 3% price increase to reiterate Opel's premium status.

glider
15th May 2008, 06:33 PM
hopefully that doesn't have the same effect as it did with the corsa D daewoo replacement

MatsHolden
15th May 2008, 06:38 PM
hopefully that doesn't have the same effect as it did with the corsa D daewoo replacement

That was slightly different, wasn't because GM increased the pricing of Opel vehicles, was just simply the existing pricing wasn't good for Holden in the current climate. But yes it could have a similar end result or it could be a very good thing.

EL BURITO
15th May 2008, 07:53 PM
wounder what that means for Oz...........

USC
15th May 2008, 08:28 PM
if they are so upmarket, they should sell as opels here and not holden.

Calibrated
15th May 2008, 08:30 PM
x2

and i think 99.9999999999999999% of people on this forum. and alot off it will say the same thing.. up yours holden.

MatsHolden
15th May 2008, 08:48 PM

Opel aren't upmarket at the moment. Will be down the track. And saying they should sell them as Opels here is silly, as it would never happen and also Opel isn't the be all and end all as it is at the moment anyway. Astras are European Commodores, nothing special.

bornwild
15th May 2008, 09:04 PM
Opel aren't upmarket at the moment. Will be down the track. And saying they should sell them as Opels here is silly, as it would never happen and also Opel isn't the be all and end all as it is at the moment anyway. Astras are European Commodores, nothing special.

I think you're quite wrong there...in fact, I know you're wrong there.

Everyone on this forum seems to believe that Opel is the Hyundai of Europe.....this is completely the opposite of the truth. I've lived in Germany for 5yrs and in Europe for 13yrs of my life, I believe I'm qualified to comment on the status of the car market in Europe.

To Opel now...Opel is quite a respected company in Germany. The Astra is a direct competitor to the Golf in the upmarket small-car segment. Ford Focus, Mazda3 and co. are considered to be the downmarket small-car segment alternatives to the Astra and Golf. You may not get this feel from Top Gear or Fifth Gear(or any other British media in fact) but that's just because they're British...not European(in a sentimental sense).

As for Opel moving upmarket, I think it's great. I believe that the Insignia has what it takes to take the fight to Audi, BMW and Merc.

Remember that Audi used to be in Opel's shoes not too long ago.

Oh and yeah...there is more BMW 1-series being driven around Germany than any other car...perhaps the Golf is the only car that is present in greater numbers than the 1-series.

astrauturbo
15th May 2008, 09:10 PM
+1 on happy too see Opel move up in the world, allthough the price increase is not welcome :(

I too lived in europe for 11 years. Allthough it was my first 11 years of my life :P

EL BURITO
15th May 2008, 09:12 PM
have to do some thing considering the average German wants a 35hr working week

bornwild
15th May 2008, 09:12 PM
+1 allthough the price increase is not welcome :(

If it helps them make better cars I'm all for it :)

Vectracious
15th May 2008, 09:17 PM
Everyone on this forum seems to believe that Opel is the Hyundai of Europe.....this is completely the opposite of the truth. I've lived in Germany for 5yrs and in Europe for 13yrs of my life, I believe I'm qualified to comment on the status of the car market in Europe.

How long ago was that, because I ask my cousins in Greece now and they all reckon Opel is just normal - not down with Fiat or Huyndai, but not up with VW/BMW/Merc/Audi.

MatsHolden
15th May 2008, 09:23 PM
I think you're quite wrong there...in fact, I know you're wrong there.

To Opel now...Opel is quite a respected company in Germany. The Astra is a direct competitor to the Golf in the upmarket small-car segment. Ford Focus, Mazda3 and co. are considered to be the downmarket small-car segment alternatives to the Astra and Golf. You may not get this feel from Top Gear or Fifth Gear(or any other British media in fact) but that's just because they're British...not European(in a sentimental sense).

As for Opel moving upmarket, I think it's great. I believe that the Insignia has what it takes to take the fight to Audi, BMW and Merc.

Remember that Audi used to be in Opel's shoes not too long ago.

Oh and yeah...there is more BMW 1-series being driven around Germany than any other car...perhaps the Golf is the only car that is present in greater numbers than the 1-series.

I'm not saying they're the Hyundai's of Europe, i'm just simply saying that they aren't so bloody good that they don't deserve to wear a Holden badge. What a wank.

And i'm not wrong in saying that Opel aren't upmarket now, because if they were they wouldn't be making a move to go upmarket now would they...

Vectracious
15th May 2008, 09:25 PM
I'm not saying they're the Hyundai's of Europe, i'm just simply saying that they aren't so bloody good that they don't deserve to wear a Holden badge. What a wank.

And i'm not wrong in saying that Opel aren't upmarket now, because if they were they wouldn't be making a move to go upmarket now would they...

LOL - settle Petal... :D :p

MatsHolden
15th May 2008, 09:29 PM
LOL - settle Petal... :D :p

Must be Gordon Ramsay in the background being a bad influence... actually no, there's no F%#k there. :p

USC
15th May 2008, 09:36 PM
In australia, anything european is considered luxury and upmarket...lol. Go to countries like africa, and the islands around, where european cars like astras, peugeots etc are considered rubbish. everyone drives one because they are cheap...

Imagine if Holden did not sell isuzu and opels, they would be left with commodore and korean rubbish...they`d prob. go bankrupt.

bornwild
15th May 2008, 09:38 PM
In australia, anything european is considered luxury and upmarket...lol. Go to countries like africa, and the islands around, where european cars like astras, peugeots etc are considered rubbish. everyone drives one because they are cheap...

I honestly don't know how Peugeots and Citreons and Renaults came about to be luxury cars in AU...they are cheaper than Hyundais over in motherland...I find myself dumbfounded about the status of these french tin-cans here :confused: :confused:

MatsHolden
15th May 2008, 09:43 PM
Imagine if Holden did not sell isuzu and opels, they would be left with commodore and korean rubbish...they`d prob. go bankrupt.

Probably not considering their sales are dominated by Commodore based products and also the fact that the korean Barina has recently been outselling the Astra. lol That last one surprised me a little bit.

Dee
15th May 2008, 09:48 PM
only cos they are cheap

MatsHolden
15th May 2008, 09:49 PM
only cos they are cheap

It sells.

bornwild
15th May 2008, 09:50 PM
It sells because brainless people are abundant in AUS.

Even the cheap price doesn't justify it's lack in safety. Shocking that it's even allowed to be sold in AU.

USC
15th May 2008, 09:52 PM
what???? Korena barina outselling the astra!! r u serious?:eek:

Holden is putting people`s life at risk selling this can of home brand soup for people to drive!!

re: citroen, peugeot...etc..yeh, I am also surprised that they are luxury here! Renaults are quite good (not the best looking) but better than the rest.

Alfa Romeo`s are also quite cheap in the UK and are not considered much of a prestige brand.

bornwild
15th May 2008, 09:55 PM
Alfa Romeo's are shocking quality...The french cars have very good designs as of late but they're manufacturing capability is just pathetic.

MatsHolden
15th May 2008, 09:56 PM
It sells because brainless people are abundant in AUS.

Not everyone knows the ins and outs of cars, therefore not realising that it is in fact an average vehicle. Stupid comment. Nice generalisation there, most of us Australians are brainless... good work.

MatsHolden
15th May 2008, 10:00 PM
The french cars have very good designs as of late but they're manufacturing capability is just pathetic.

Citroen's C4's not too bad, but their C5 and C6 looks terrible for mine.

bornwild
15th May 2008, 10:01 PM
If only you knew what abundant means :)

Definition:
A species that, because of its habits and conspicuousness occurs in very large numbers. It is not a relative meaning.

bornwild
15th May 2008, 10:02 PM
Have you seen the new C5?? Great looking car, very much like their topless concept from last year.

USC
15th May 2008, 10:14 PM
dont like any of the citroens..they all have under powered engines...

Calibrated
15th May 2008, 10:21 PM
dont like any of the citroens..they all have under powered engines...
except the C5 VTS ;) i quite like those and they're pretty quick

oh, and the only reason Opels are "cheap" in SA is because they are locally assembled, and then shipped here :D same goes for BMW, VW and Mercedes Benz. hell, SA's biggest selling sedan is the 3 series bmw. so much for a "3rd world" country hey.. gotta wonder some times..

EL BURITO
15th May 2008, 10:47 PM
Have you seen the new C5?? Great looking car, very much like their topless concept from last year.
there not very nice to look at

bornwild
15th May 2008, 10:50 PM
I'm no fan of citroen but this is one gorgeous car
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Citroen-C5_2008_photo_02.jpg

USC
15th May 2008, 11:36 PM
looks a bit like the new mondeo.

Holden should bring this baby as a barina here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Paris_2006_-_Chevrolet_WTCC_Ultra.JPG

Wraith
16th May 2008, 09:05 AM
GM has decided to move it's Opel marque upmarket and to further separate it from GM's entry level brand, Chevrolet.

"Opel and Chevrolet will be bookends with a clear position for both (and) over time, we will emphasize Opel's German heritage, engineering and design."
GM Europe President Carl-Peter Forster

This will benefit the design and engineering of Opel vehicles. But it will bring an up to 3% price increase to reiterate Opel's premium status.

The 1st and pretty much only thing that came to my mind when I read the above is - typical marketing strategy to move forward and try and gain justification for higher pricing of future vehicles sold by GMH !

At the end of the day for them, that's all it really boils down to - business !

USC
16th May 2008, 09:58 AM
that is true..they want more money for the same badge...therefore they start calling opel prestige....;)

astrauturbo
16th May 2008, 10:56 AM
The 1st and pretty much only thing that came to my mind when I read the above is - typical marketing strategy to move forward and try and gain justification for higher pricing of future vehicles sold by GMH !

At the end of the day for them, that's all it really boils down to - business !

Glad someone noticed it!!

and Renaults as Ugly as they are They got one of the best safety ratings,
they compete with mercs and volvo's, hard to believe but true.

rjastra
16th May 2008, 01:53 PM
As if HOlden would even consider badging some its cars as Opel in the Australian market. Opel has no, nil, nada recognision here. That is not to say they couldn't use the Chevrolet nameplate... but to what purpose?

Its a HUGE expense to start up a new automotive brand. Even the established ones are having trouble here (eg Renault)

Hyundai reckons it would cost USD 500 Million (MILLION!!) to start up a luxury brand based on the Genesis saloon (and coupe). So, they aren't :)

Calibrated
16th May 2008, 02:10 PM
As if HOlden would even consider badging some its cars as Opel in the Australian market. Opel has no, nil, nada recognision here.
i think alot more people know about opel's than you realise ;)

Wraith
16th May 2008, 02:32 PM
i think alot more people know about opel's than you realise ;)

Actually that's a very interesting one - I'd love someone to do an official servey on this as I'm very curious...

Except for you peeps on this forum, whenever I've mentioned Opel to other people, none have ever known what it was or heard of it before, I then tell them that almost the entire GMH car range are Opels and they say "naaahh - really " ???..... :(

Calibrated
16th May 2008, 03:04 PM
Actually that's a very interesting one - I'd love someone to do an official servey on this as I'm very curious...

Except for you peeps on this forum, whenever I've mentioned Opel to other people, none have ever known what it was or heard of it before, I then tell them that almost the entire GMH car range are Opels and they say "naaahh - really " ???..... :(

i'd say about 85% of people i speak to, know about opel.

imay
16th May 2008, 03:16 PM

Be it Holden, Opel, Chevrolet, Vauxhall, Nissan, Toyota, BMW, Mercedes . . . . I'm sure all marques have unhappy customers. Hell, I know people that LOVE Holden products. Probably because their father and grandfather and uncles all drive/drove them and refuse to drive anything else. Just the same as politics, football, religion . . .
People are no different to sheep and will be loyal to a product simply because they know nothing, or refuse to accept anything, different.

What makes people think that if "Opel" as a brand was sold in Australia things would be any different? It's a car, a mechanical device, that needs outsiders' intervention to maintain it as an efficient piece of machinery. Without the skill level, interest, want and dedication (that just doesn't exist in today's modern society) an Opel will be no different to any other brand of car . . . in the end.

I enjoy watching Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear purely because he is humorous, but his latent disgust towards anything Vauxhall makes me laugh, when in the end, it is not a Vauxhall but an Opel he is ridiculing. Same thing with this debate. The Holden v Opel discussion is/was/will be no different.

USC
16th May 2008, 04:00 PM
Opels used to make sewing machines..thats what their cars sound like.:p:p :p :p :D .

wasnt the vectra designed by vauxhall orginally?

imay
16th May 2008, 04:26 PM
Opels used to make sewing machines..thats what their cars sound like.:p:p :p :p :D .

wasnt the vectra designed by vauxhall orginally?

Certainly hope my Opel built Holden badged Astra/s sound a bit better than a sewing machine. But if it's built as good as me ma's old peddle Singer (still in working condition) I'll be happy.

Re the Vectra . . . who really cares who the designer of a car (no matter what marque) they are. Many designers under the GM banner originated/trained/served time here in Oz. Plus there's a heap of brands under the GM banner, and the only one making GM serious money is GM-Daewoo . . . and that's where the business buck stops!

USC
16th May 2008, 05:26 PM
that was the worst mistake buying Daewoo...who wants to buy rejected out of date technology??

imay
16th May 2008, 05:49 PM
that was the worst mistake buying Daewoo...who wants to buy rejected out of date technology??

General Motors . . . . and millions of everyday motorists the world over that care about getting from A-B and don't give much thought to aesthetics, comfort, handling, technology, re-sale, etc., etc.
Let's face it, the later Daewoo have all the latest creature comforts/fittings, just don't necessarily put it together too well.

MatsHolden
16th May 2008, 07:22 PM

I thought you hated Daewoo's though mate?

MatsHolden
16th May 2008, 07:23 PM
I'm no fan of citroen but this is one gorgeous car
http://photo.netcarshow.com/Citroen-C5_2008_photo_02.jpg

I'll pass thanks.

sooty
16th May 2008, 07:27 PM

That'd actually look pretty decent as a normal car.
Compete with the mazda 2...

USC
17th May 2008, 01:06 AM
I thought you hated Daewoo's though mate?

was that developed by daewoo??damn...I didnt know...i hate it now:p

astrauturbo
17th May 2008, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by USC http://www.opelaus.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=315238#post315238)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...WTCC_Ultra.JPG

Seriously no one can think that thing looks good.. its way too chunky.
The rims look OK. But thats about where it stops.

USC
17th May 2008, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by USC http://www.opelaus.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.opelaus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=315238#post315238)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...WTCC_Ultra.JPG

lol... :lamor:

MatsHolden
17th May 2008, 05:08 PM

The WTCC concept looks great. Nice aggressive lines. The base design is on the mark.