PDA

View Full Version : HSV tuned Astra Turbo's - True or False??

Bob
12th July 2004, 09:38 AM
I remember reading (in either Wheels or Motor) that HSV had a 'power upgrade' pack for the Astra, something like 170kW.

Is it true? :?

Jass
12th July 2004, 09:42 AM
I rang holden and HSV about this exact same thing, but they didn't know anything about it. Would have been good if they did do this. No need to loose your warranty :)

dannysport18
12th July 2004, 09:44 AM
i am from england i dont think they have done it as the z20let has stoped being made in that spec they could of used there own map as it is hotter down there so they may of done a aus map for the car ie more bost and a bigger intercooler

dannysport18
12th July 2004, 09:46 AM
if you get the car remaped the dealer will not pick this up on there tech 2 test on the car :twisted: so you could remap the car and they wont know

Jass
12th July 2004, 10:07 AM
True but all it takes is for them to put there foot down and you can notice it :twisted:

dannysport18
12th July 2004, 10:14 AM
True but all it takes is for them to put there foot down and you can notice it :twisted:
had my old company vw passat v6tdi re maped they could not find any thing when it went in to vw for work :lol:
all the cars will be diff some astra turbo will do 215bhp as std as no 2 cars are alike so your just got a good one they cant do any thing as the softwear still adds up to the vauxhall ecu numbers will still read the same so they cant see it if the code was diff the car would not start all the dealer can to is re flash the ecu with software again :lol: its that easy

FlySri
12th July 2004, 12:04 PM
I only wish HSV did do a upgrade !!! Rang two dealers and both said no !! Someone was dreaming when they printed the articles!!

Anonymous
12th July 2004, 12:40 PM
HSV were going to release a LIMITED Number of SRi Turbo that were Enhanced in House. But due too poor interest and Low Numbers brought in, 2 were Built but they aint 170kw more like 155kw. All HSV were going to do were the Exhaust,Intake and Maybe a Bigger Intercooler.
The 2 that got Built are now Raced by Cameron McConville and Someone else in Targa/Shannons/Duttons Rallies.

Degen-Astra
12th July 2004, 12:51 PM
Think this is the one. Competed in the 2003 Dutton Rally.

http://www.pbase.com/duttonrally/car_11

Anonymous
12th July 2004, 12:54 PM
Yeah thats the one Nick :D
I have pics of it on here somewhere as well :mrgreen:

Jass
12th July 2004, 01:00 PM
You fellas have any more pics of that car??

imay
12th July 2004, 01:17 PM
I reckon that's the very same one used by Cameron McConville during Targa Tasmania at the Turbo's launch. If it is, it is bog stock standard except with a roll cage added to comply with CAMS regulations.
I've got a couple of nice big laminated posters sitting on my study wall of Cam's effort -- one static display and one action photo. Great!

Degen-Astra
12th July 2004, 01:21 PM
I have just submitted the following question to Holden Motorsport...

--------------------

A few questions on the Astra SRi Turbo -
What are the modifications to the motor/drivetrain of the Turbo that was entered in the 2003 Dutton Rally and one that someone would buy off the showroom floor?
Also, has there even been a HSV Astra Turbo built? As there is the beleif that they were being developed but I am yet to find any solid info on this.

--------------------

Lets see what i get as a response. 8)

Bob
12th July 2004, 04:12 PM
HSV were going to release a LIMITED Number of SRi Turbo that were Enhanced in House.
Ah ha, I see. Whichever magazine it was, they were very vague about the whole thing. I guess that settles it then! :)

Anonymous
12th July 2004, 04:22 PM
It was in Wheels(Jul-Aug '03)
I'm a Former Employee of Tom's Dynasty and still have a Few mates that still work there. And they were saying that There was 2 Star Silver SRi Turbos being Played with there.

OPL-20T
12th July 2004, 08:46 PM
that was a short article in the motor or wheels mag and its read something along these lines....
the asrta turbo is a great car bla bla bla but holden should maybe look into the 171Kw options upgrage, (Powerchip Re-Map) now that would be a great fun car to drive bla bla bla bla bla...

that is where all these comments started form about a HSV SRI-T...
originally the SRI-T was ment to be built by HSV but would have been more $$$ so to keep the $$$ down they released it as an normal Holden.

Corsa
13th July 2004, 01:02 AM
Motor Magazine August 2003 "Hatch of the Day" article. they list 5 little comments about each car and the last two for the Astra said.
"Exhaust feels a little restrictive so ......."
"........ HSV tunes it for an easy 170KW "

Corsa

Matt Smith
13th July 2004, 01:52 AM
It will never happen unfortunatly, The Z20LET will only get warranty approval providing it is no more than 220bhp.

In the UK the VXR220 is only 220bhp because Opel will not under write the warranty.

jch75
13th July 2004, 03:53 AM
In Sept 2003 Motor Magazine pg 12, the new Astra GSi is supposed to be 2.4ltr with 179kw doing 0-100 in a frag over six seconds. That is even more impressive than the RS32 Golf. Imagine an Astra wooping butt in the GTP Procar series. Only thing though, once again, front wheel drive is a let down.

lee683
13th July 2004, 08:40 PM
we talked abt this on holden-calibra.org awhile ago.
to clear the last lot of the last modle astra's and barina's holden gave them to HSV.
mainly badges exhaust and that i think.
ill have alook for it on there later

__Smudge__
14th July 2004, 06:43 AM
Matt.............Check your PM M8

Degen-Astra
14th July 2004, 07:08 PM
Got a email back from Holden Motorsport (Not HSV) -

--------------------------

Nick,

There is nothing much done to the Astra that was in the Dutton Rally only the brakes were modified a touch.

HSV have no plans at this stage to modify the Astra Turbo.

HMS

-----------------------------

So there ya go...that was the factory backed one which the link above shows. I am still waiting on a response from HSV themselves. Asked for the modified specs and so on.