PDA

View Full Version : Coles fuel docket 'no bargain'

btm
8th May 2008, 09:39 AM
Once again... i think we all already knew it, but here is the proof

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,25479,23663477-14327,00.html

Coles fuel docket 'no bargain'

SUPERMARKET giant Coles has been accused of overcharging loyal customers who use discount vouchers to buy petrol.

The chain was slugging motorists with the highest prices and leading the whole market to go higher in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide, said Australian Competition and Consumer Commission petrol commissioner Pat Walker.

Analysis of petrol pricing at 9am yesterday showed Coles Express sites had set the highest prices in the four capital cities, he said.

"On any given day the range from the lowest available retail price to the highest is usually between 15 to 20 cents per litre."

In Melbourne yesterday, Coles was selling petrol as much as 14 cents a litre higher than the Melbourne average.

The ACCC said buyers in the habit of using shopper dockets may not realise that other outlets are much cheaper - even after using their discount voucher.

"We have been monitoring over the past few weeks and have found Coles Express to be the predominant price hiker," Commissioner Pat Walker told the Herald Sun.

Mr Walker said at 9am yesterday Coles outlets were charging up to $1:55.9 cents a litre compared with the average Melbourne price of $1:41.8.

The ACCC commissioner said Coles was not doing anything illegal, but urged motorists to shop around to make sure they were getting the best price.

"Some people are creatures of habit in what they buy and they should not assume the branded sites will be cheaper," Mr Walker said. "We are really warning the public to watch the price boards."

Coles and supermarket rival Woolworths (branded in Victoria as Safeway) entered the retail petrol market in 2003 and control about 60 per cent of sales.

Coles has about 26 per cent of national market share and Woolworths 33 per cent.

Coles spokesman Jim Cooper accused the ACCC of being selective in its research.

"Fuel prices moved today as part of the normal fuel cycle, with all retailers moving prices and responding to competition," he said yesterday.

"We're disappointed that the ACCC would choose to conduct such a selective analysis of fuel prices, in terms of both the time frame and number of sites that were monitored.

"However, we're confident that our customers know that Coles Express offers competitive fuel prices seven days a week."

Consumer Action Law Centre director Gerard Brody said it was no surprise that motorists were not getting the best deal from discount vouchers.

"We continually warn consumers petrol discount vouchers might not get you the best deal," he said.

"Consumers shouldn't be fooled that the discount voucher from Coles will not necessarily get them cheaper petrol."

Mr Brody said regulators need to give motorists more information on petrol pricing.

"Sometimes vouchers unfairly or inappropriately tie people to particular outlets and that is anti-competitive," he said.

"People are not encouraged by what is the cheapest petrol in the market, but by a voucher from a supermarket or retail outlet.

"Loyalty vouchers can be more expensive for consumers overall."

Mr Walker said when the national fuel watch scheme starts in December motorists will be able to identify the cheapest petrol outlets and plan purchases.

"At the moment information is available in hindsight," he said.

EL BURITO
8th May 2008, 09:50 AM
I do find Woolies Caltex sites to be on the cheaper side over this side of the country, But there statement in relation to Coles seems to be true here too our biggest offender would have to be "BP".

Am a bit skeptical of the 98 that is available at Peak given that "I don't believe they will be selling enough to keep new stuff in there tanks there for loosing the quality of the fuel given the life expectancy of higher Ron fuels"

Ice
8th May 2008, 10:06 AM
Ahh ive given up on the dockets bullsh*t,

I use Shell V-Power premium and thats it, docket or not and i usually shop as Safeway so my dockets are useless as i dont like caltex because i used to work for them so i know their product is inferior to Shell's. As a friend pointed out its just not worth the trouble and as the article shows its bollocks anyway. I will fill up on the cheaper days when i can but otherwise its a couple quid which i can save elsewhere should i need to... AND im drivin a 1.8 so my economy isnt going to get much better than what i already have.

anyone know what the BP ultimate product is like ?

:)

Greg K
8th May 2008, 10:15 AM
i dont know if anyone has realised, but around my area, Shell have been advertising (on the big price billboard thing) the price of the Ethanol blend of fuel, in place of where they used to show advertise the price of normal unleaded (ie making it look like they have the cheapest fuel).
it has been in the local paper and motorists are warned to check which fuel Shell are advertising before pulling in to the servo..

btm
8th May 2008, 10:17 AM
anyone know what the BP ultimate product is like ?

:)

this is usually what i use. i find it gives me the best mileage and performance

Ice
8th May 2008, 10:18 AM
this is usually what i use. i find it gives me the best mileage and performance

better than the Shell V-Power ? might try BP next tank ;) cheers for that

EL BURITO
8th May 2008, 10:33 AM
If I was over east yes I would be worried what fuel I was useing but the fact is in WA all the petrol comes out of the BP refinery in Kwinanna, so all the 98 is the same stuff If its Vortex, Ultimate, Peak 98 end of day its all Ultimate.

My Kms are the same and have tested it a few times

Calibrated
8th May 2008, 10:40 AM
i was only using BP Ultimate, but now i only use Shell V-Power. mileage and performance seem pretty much the same. the shell down the road from me has predominantly been the cheaper place (although yesterday they were the ****ing highest in brisbane, c^nts)

Ice
8th May 2008, 10:50 AM
i was only using BP Ultimate, but now i only use Shell V-Power. mileage and performance seem pretty much the same. the shell down the road from me has predominantly been the cheaper place (although yesterday they were the ****ing highest in brisbane, c^nts)

hahahaha ! they are such bastards arent they !

glider
8th May 2008, 03:38 PM
not that im giving it a plug or anything but my local woolworths petrol is usually one of the cheapest in the area before (and after) discount

poita
8th May 2008, 06:27 PM
so you go spend $100+ on groceries at woolies to save all of about $3 or less on fuel
i see how that makes sense!!

i dont beleive in those dockets at all, i use BP Ultimate in both cars.
might be gettin a work car (V6 Dualcab Hilux) so meh to fuel, i wont be payin for it!!!

95' GSI
8th May 2008, 06:39 PM
Seriously it is just a big rip off.
I agree with Ice I find Woolies to be cheaper.
I filled up with Vortex the other day and it was only 5 cents dearer than normal where coles wanted 11 cents more.
For every $30 you spend you should get extra cents, so every $60 you get 8 cents and $100 you get 10 cents or something, but that may just be me.
They're not completly useless though because people need groceries so in return you get the voucher. What I do is shop at coles/woolies, fill up with my voucher then go to Foodland (Adelaide supermarket) and get $4 off my groceries with my petrol tax reciept :p